Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memoirs of a Morag Tong Assassin - Solstheim, Chapter One: Pure as Undriven Snow.
mALX
post Jan 14 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #81

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Jan 14 2012, 12:22 AM) *

n 13 2012, 08:38 PM' post='137675']In Oblivion she is Rasheda's (owner of the Fire and Steel in Chorrol) supposed lover, but she can also be found in the Fighters Guild basement (she's the smithy) in Chorrol or walking between the two places.

Heh. I stand corrected. It would appear my subconscious let leak a name from a suppressed traumatic memory.

ROFL !!! I'll be reading this weekend, I saw you had posted ahead but didn't have time to read tonight.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Jan 14 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #82

Knower
Group Icon

I read the last one last night but wanted to read it again cuz I was half asleep, had to wait til the kids were done skating so I could do the 'fetching'.

Reread and ...you really shouldn't do that ya know, it isn't nice to do a bait and switch like that, I thought the secret was going to be revealed...dang, and whew... biggrin.gif

Awesome! I do love Pene, girl after my own heart...

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jan 14 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #83

Master
Group Icon

What a lovely situation to find- I "go away" for a week and return to all these posts! Woo Hoo!

As ever, a true rendering of the "good parts" would simply mean reposting the whole thing, so let me see if I can be a BIT more subtle than that...

It was my nature to uproot, and leave behind. I stalked and kept hidden to the shadows. I threatened lives with my very nature.

The entire extended metaphor of Seth with his Birthsign is brilliantly handled. And, as many have done before him, he perhaps takes circumstance for prophecy.

It didn't mean she wasn't waiting for me in some shadow though. Former lovers could put such a spring in the step. In the sense that you were more paranoid than you were to begin with.

Noted without comment- but with a certain rueful laughter.

Those that waive the option to allow me to retire will face the full scope of my skill.

Translation- you do not get to be Grandmaster by being shy or backward. And you especially do not get to retire by begging.

The quick way he dealt with Sabine- and yet also seeks to teach her… yes, that is pure Sethyas.

Even more so was his knowledge of Ashlander ways, which allowed him to fill the power vacuum without tearing the Tong apart.

"With this you take the mantle. Lead well, and do not try to find me." I said as I left the Morag Tong behind for the last time.

Wow.

After all, the survivors pass down the best techniques.

Still love that quote.

Simply wonderful throughout. I feel my own scalp beginning to tingle- perhaps I should dash off 1000 words or so and get Athlain up that dratted mountain.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 19 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

I apologize, this weekend was too hectic to get a read in and give your writing the focus it deserves. I'm here now.

Therefore, any member at or above the rank of Master may come to Vivec to request the position. Again, I will not forbid ancient rights and traditions. However, if there are those who would insist upon them; I urge them to consider I did not achieve the rank by accident or favoritism, but rather through skill and accomplishment.

Those that waive the option to allow me to retire will face the full scope of my skill.

This was absolutely Awesome, powerful - and looks like trouble is ahead for Seth now! That was technically throwing down a gauntlet to them, he will have to clean out the whole top rung of the Morag Tong now!

The whole letter from Andarys was quoted below, but I snipped it for the sake of not spamming your thread - but had to quote the ending for the chilling shock of it :

Be wary,
Goren Andarys."

I nearly choked out my tea as Pene suddenly spread her wings and cawed loudly, and I caught the faintest sound of rustling cloth, and a blade being unsheathed, behind me.

GAAAAH !! Now we know where Seth was when the Dragon broke ... urk!

I guessed Sabine because the Raven was cawing a warning. (Otherwise I would have been torn between it being Sabine or his own wife, lol).

"Dunsapil is an Ashlander. Humility is a major trait that is required of them. Boasting is shameful, and yet there is a place if it can convince a challenger to stand down. The victor can win with words or sword. Hence, there is no need for Dun-Ahhe to slay me now. Indeed it would be shameful." I explained as the Ashlander sat in a smug silence.

"I think I shall like this Hall." he said quietly.

This whole bout was brilliant !! Seth obviously out-manipulated them, I so would have loved to see this scene drawn out into a whole chapter in itself. As quickly as it ends there wasn't time to savor the moment, it felt prematurely ... ended.

it seemed she wanted to give me an earful rather than a mindful...I wasn't as eager to hear it, so much as wanting to get it over with.
... I lit my hackle-lo pipe, and I poured myself a bit of brandy, I took a puff and a swig before replying.
...as the brandy began to run its course through my veins.

You wrap so many human emotions, thoughts, and actions into your characters that they come to life - this sentence is a prime example - perfect!

The most powerful example of this comes next :

The realization hit me as her breath hit my neck. I glanced at the stain on the wall.

In a flash I stood up. Pene falling off, and officially killing the moment.

The bottle of Cyrodiilic Brandy staining the wall - what a powerful moment of memory you evoked in the reader with that scene, I could see the stain he left there to remind himself that (that argument) would never be over - Huge Write !!!! I am officially addicted.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 20 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #85

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Holy CRAP! HOW could this be? I missed several posts....gahhhhh, I'm getting old and senile...that must be it! So busy moving the thread, and not checking it out? I should be ashamed of myself!

"So Seth...you won't tell, right? ok it's entirely up to you"

Brilliant ending of the first chapter....me like very much!

P.S I know who you were referring to.... kvright.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:16 PM