Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Writing Process, And/Or Problems with Same
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2020, 01:55 AM
Post #701

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Jan 14 2020, 07:15 AM) *

The human sacrifice by family member is the strongest story line- to me. And what it allows you to do is show (once more) January's strength of character. In my head, she will not dodge the "association"- but will simply say words to the effect of "Yes, that is true. And...?" Force the issue. If someone wants to imply that she (and perhaps other metas) is/are fatally flawed (bad pun, sorry)- they are going to have to come up with something better than- "Well- ya know- your relative did these awful things, so doesn't that mean you are awful too?"

She can point out that George Washington was called "The Town Burner" by the Native Americans because of his punitive (and possibly genocidal?) expeditions prior to the American Revolution- just as one example.

Anyway, in my mind, this story has been about Jan facing and overcoming adversity. This is another chance to show that.

The way I see this working out, only January and Blood Raven will know that the family member was the Conjurer. Blood Raven will not reveal that. Which means that it comes down to January, either as Stormcrow or as herself. She has to decide whether their family member is known as a victim, or as the murderer.

She could say nothing, but then their family member will be listed as missing. She would not put the rest of her family through not knowing why that person disappeared. So in the end, she has to come forward and say something.

Right now, I am most strongly leaning toward her taking Blood Raven's advice and saying their family member was the victim.

I could go another route and have a third person there who sees it all and implicates the family member. Then it would play out exactly as you said above. With Jan saying "yeah, he did it," and not trying to argue it or make excuses. But that puts me in a place I'd rather not go, with January's literary career being derailed.

Unless a third person says the family member did it. Then Blood Raven testifies that family member was being mind controlled. But how many people will believe that? Given that Blood Raven is a polarizing figure, not everyone. Especially not the police. Which puts me right back to January's livelihood (and dreams) being lost.

Granted, maybe I could roll with that. January's career as a writer is destroyed, the final act of collateral damage caused by the family member. Lots of people have their dreams forever crushed. She could work as a martial arts instructor for the rest of her life. Or maybe be a technical writer, for things like manuals and pamphlets. But I'd rather not go there. It's just too depressing.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 15 2020, 02:18 AM
Post #702

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 14 2020, 04:55 PM) *
... Right now, I am most strongly leaning toward her taking Blood Raven's advice and saying their family member was the victim. ...
I think this is not only the most humane approach for Jan to take but it also, conveniently, does not necessarily close literary doors to her.

And if it all doesn't work out, she can join chorrol, open a martial arts studio with Uleni and write fanfic. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

36 Pages V « < 34 35 36
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2020 - 06:39 AM