Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mirocu
post Oct 29 2018, 04:41 PM
Post #601

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 29 2018, 12:34 AM) *

Most odd. I certainly haven't noticed that on my end. When you say they are missing the 720p option, I assume you mean 720p and above?

Yes, but it mostly seem to be on music videos, both lyrics only and full-fledged. As to normal videos, the 720 option is there.

I have never seen any option above 720 btw. Didn't know it was a thing.

Btw, is Chrome a good option for a youtube-junkie?

This post has been edited by mirocu: Oct 29 2018, 06:48 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 29 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #602

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 29 2018, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 29 2018, 12:34 AM) *

Most odd. I certainly haven't noticed that on my end. When you say they are missing the 720p option, I assume you mean 720p and above?

Yes, but it mostly seem to be on music videos, both lyrics only and full-fledged. As to normal videos, the 720 option is there.

I have never seen any option above 720 btw. Didn't know it was a thing.

Btw, is Chrome a good option for a youtube-junkie?

Can't answer for Chrome. Those few times I auditioned it I didn't like it nearly as well as Firefox. (Firefox works well with YouTube, btw.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 29 2018, 08:05 PM
Post #603

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Have Firefox now and finally I can see OhMyGirl in 720! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

But as I hate changes I'm still gonna use IE for everything else tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 29 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #604

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Well, I just installed Firefox.

Then I installed Firefox again, Swedish version tongue.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Oct 29 2018, 09:09 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 31 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #605

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Just added Old Youtube add-on to Firefox. Looks much better than the new layout.

This one gets Rocu's Seal of Approval!

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 1 2018, 12:31 AM
Post #606

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 31 2018, 03:26 PM) *

Just added Old Youtube add-on to Firefox. Looks much better than the new layout.

That's one I've not heard of. I'll have to check it out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 2 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #607

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 1 2018, 12:31 AM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Oct 31 2018, 03:26 PM) *

That's one I've not heard of. I'll have to check it out.

If you don't really like youtube's new look I most def recommend it smile.gif

Firefox note; internet is noticably faster than with IE. I bet no one here is surprised tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 7 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #608

Master
Group Icon

Just ordered a Samsung EVO 970 500gb M2 NVME drive for my PC. Why? I've run out of room on my EVO 960 500gb NVME drive. At the moment not only can't I install any new games but periodically need to launch existent games and delete their older saves to keep myself out of trouble.

The 960 will remain my boot drive. The 970 isn't enough faster to warrant a switch. (The 960 is more than plenty fast enough.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Nov 7 2018, 01:59 PM
Post #609

Master
Group Icon

Think I have my PC issues whittled down to knowing it's the motherboard.

BTW, if you run Win10, here is a handy way to check your OS health:
Launch PowerShell on your computer and run the following commands one after the other:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

These commands will only scan for issues, and will not alter anything.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 10 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #610

Master
Group Icon

Speaking of Win10, Win10Pro to be exact, here's a situation you might find yourself into, and how to deal (or not deal as the case may be) with it.

After almost a year and a half of steady use, I still can't touch-type worth a darn with my "new" keyboard, especially keys manipulated by the right hand. Partly due to subtle differencse between key spread between old and new keyboards. Partly due to the new keyboard being black with white letter imprints, for me much harder to see than my old beige with black letters keyboard. Relatedly, my keyboard tray is so dark I can't see even the keys themselves during part of the day, much less the letters imprinted on them. (Because of the spread difference, I need to look at the keyboard much more often than I did with the old one.)

Am thinking to buy and install an el-cheapo weak LED light-strip on the desk-top lip backside. That should (?) illuminate the keyboard without being bright enough to distract from screen viewing. I hope. Me being me, it'll prolly never happen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 10 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #611

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 10 2018, 08:10 AM) *

Speaking of Win10, Win10Pro to be exact, here's a situation you might find yourself into, and how to deal (or not deal as the case may be) with it.

After almost a year and a half of steady use, I still can't touch-type worth a darn with my "new" keyboard, especially keys manipulated by the right hand. Partly due to subtle differencse between key spread between old and new keyboards. Partly due to the new keyboard being black with white letter imprints, for me much harder to see than my old beige with black letters keyboard. Relatedly, my keyboard tray is so dark I can't see even the keys themselves during part of the day, much less the letters imprinted on them. (Because of the spread difference, I need to look at the keyboard much more often than I did with the old one.)

Am thinking to buy and install an el-cheapo weak LED light-strip on the desk-top lip backside. That should (?) illuminate the keyboard without being bright enough to distract from screen viewing. I hope. Me being me, it'll prolly never happen.

I have the same problem with seeing the keys on the black keyboard; and I absolutely HATE the tiny keyboards they are putting out now. Everything is so jammed up, it is really not comfortable to use them = and they feel like every keystroke is the one that will break them; they don't feel solid like the old Logitech ones did.

Two years ago my son got me a "Razer" gaming keyboard at Walmart, (of all places, and for very little) = Not only is it the larger sized keyboard with decent spaces between the keys and a full number-board on the right; but it lights up the key lettering with a glowing green that can even be seen in a dark room (although I haven't actually played in a dark room; but someone might, lol). The glow is not a bright or harsh one, it is just enough to be pleasant. Not only that, but it doesn't feel cheap and like it is going to break any second like those smaller keyboards they are making now feel.

And = it is USB; so it loads its own software and drivers in wherever I put it = it can be used on my laptop or moved over to my old PC too!

I loved my Logitech beige keyboard; but with the lighting this keyboard actually has an advantage over my old Logitech; and since it is the same size as the older models and the same feel of sturdiness = it has won me over. If this one breaks, I'll get another just like it.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 10 2018, 04:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 12 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #612

Master
Group Icon

My Samsung EVO 970 500gb M2.nvme drive arrived from NewEgg Saturday. Installed it Sunday afternoon. Here are some comparative scores between it, its immediate predecessor, and a typical conventional hard drive, made this morning on my primary computer:

Seagate "conventional" 2tb hard-drive

Samsung EVO 960 500gb M2.nvme

Samsung EVO 970 500gb M2.nvme

I'm happy to say my motherboard allows both nvme drives to run full-bore. Not all motherboards do. Needed to update to the latest Samsung nvme driver, as the one I was using didn't recognize the 970.

The 970 will serve primarily as a games partition, the 960 being filled almost to capacity.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 12 2018, 04:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 20 2018, 02:13 AM
Post #613

Councilor
Group Icon

Ok, I've stopped panicking, for now, at least.

I had a problem where Wrye bash would start up for Skyrim SE or Oblivion, but not LE (where I was trying to create a new mod). Didn't notice right away, but it turned out that my SSD was almost full, which probably triggered off a whole bunch of related issues. Windows Update then decided I needed even more stuff, and after the reboot, Windows wouldn't start.

Eventually, it recovered by deleting unneeded restore points off the drive, and I'm alive again. Running LOOT rebuilt whatever was upsetting Wrye Bash, and Skrim LE is usable again. Now I just hope I can remember what I was trying to do before all this set in.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 20 2018, 02:57 AM
Post #614

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 19 2018, 07:13 PM) *

Ok, I've stopped panicking, for now, at least.

I had a problem where Wrye bash would start up for Skyrim SE or Oblivion, but not LE (where I was trying to create a new mod). Didn't notice right away, but it turned out that my SSD was almost full, which probably triggered off a whole bunch of related issues. Windows Update then decided I needed even more stuff, and after the reboot, Windows wouldn't start.

Eventually, it recovered by deleting unneeded restore points off the drive, and I'm alive again. Running LOOT rebuilt whatever was upsetting Wrye Bash, and Skrim LE is usable again. Now I just hope I can remember what I was trying to do before all this set in.

I ran into this situation some months ago, it being the primary reason I bought the second M2.nvme drive. In my case I was playing a session of Transport Fever and couldn't save the game. After initially worrying that it had become corrupt I thought to check its partition. Sure enough I was totally out of free storage space. Luckily, in my case I had plenty on no-longer-needed old saves to dispose of. Still, with that done the partition had only about 12gb free space, not enough to add any new AAA titles or even expansions/DLC for existing titles. Ergo the new drive.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 20 2018, 03:56 AM
Post #615

Councilor
Group Icon

I didn't have that option, as I'd already redirected the Users folder to my D drive (regular disk) so that saves wouldn't clog the SSD. The space was all being used up by system restore points. There's probably no need for more than two, but it keeps much more than that.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 20 2018, 04:19 AM
Post #616

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 19 2018, 08:56 PM) *

I didn't have that option, as I'd already redirected the Users folder to my D drive (regular disk) so that saves wouldn't clog the SSD. The space was all being used up by system restore points. There's probably no need for more than two, but it keeps much more than that.

<nods> In my case, I originally hoped to install two M2.NVME drives when assembling the computer mid last year. Funds didn't allow it. Then recently I noticed the drive I wanted had become reasonably priced (for a name-brand M2.NVME drive). Combined with needing more game storage, and having funds to burn, I took the plunge. Gotta admit I likely could have shrunk several partitions on the existing nvme drive then expanded the game partition enough to not worry about running out of room any time soon. But I'd still not have had enough free space to comfortably install a new premium title. (I'm not contemplating installing any new major titles at the moment, truth to tell. But ya never know.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 26 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #617

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I tried to copy my game of Plants vs Zombies from one computer to another by copying the files but for some reason it doesn't work. The game starts up normally but my progress isn't transferred and as always in my life I have one question: Why?

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 26 2018, 09:40 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 26 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #618

Ancient
Group Icon

You probably are not copying everything. For decades now, games do not just put all their files in one folder. They hide them in numerous places, such burying them in your My Documents folder, or in your Users folder. They also put game values in your registry. You need to do a regular install with the original setup files if you really want something to work. I am surprised it worked at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 26 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #619

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Hmm. Kinda like how Oblivion and Fallout 3 have their savegames in My Documents then. I'll see if I can poke around a bit there.

I actually had to go all detective when I transferred games from my Windows 3.1 to my Millennium. The files were scattered all over the place but I did manage to find them which still astonishes me.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Dec 26 2018, 11:36 PM
Post #620

Master
Group Icon

Just do what I do and use a hammer. Hammer fixes all.
There we can finally close this thread I've solved all problems relating to computers tongue.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:25 PM