Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Acadian
post Sep 12 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Thread 2, or the second season of Buffy's Book 1!

This book began with Buffy being briefly incarcerated in the Imperial Prison and will end as she attempts to bring freedom to the city of Kvatch. It is a sprawling story that will require more than 150 episodes, spread over five threads. Appropriately, I have nicknamed Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

Thread 1 included episodes 1-26.

Please allow me to offer a small summary of Thread 1 that I hope might prove useful as a review, or for those who are joining us in progress:

Buffy witnessed the death of Uriel Septim VII in the Imperial Prison. She eventually delivered the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre, who treated her rudely. Buffy's response to this, of course, was to drop the amulet on his desk and storm out.

At one point in her travels, Buffy encountered an Oblivion gate at Kvatch. Terrified, she quickly heeded the orders of Savlian Matius to leave the area. In their brief encounter however, Buffy seemed drawn to the brave Captain Matius - quite struck by his noble and selfless bravery. She was confident the Empire would resolve the situation that she considered well beyond her meager ability to influence.

Our orphan from Bravil then began to refine her confidence and skills toward adventure, even recently graduating from the Arcane University as a mystic archer.

Now, for those newer readers who would like to catch up to us in one short sitting, you might find this helpful: Buffy – The Executive Summary Thread.

When we last left Buffy, she had just earned the Star of Azura. It seemed her immediate plans were to dispatch some minor chores in the Imperial City, then head home. We now join Buffy, in the City of Mara.

27 Graduation Party

"Hmph, she doesn't look like much of a mage to me," snorted Fathis Aren. "More like a half-dressed wood nymph running around with a bow most of the time. Thankfully, somebody at least coaxed the little forest creature into a proper dress tonight."

The Bravil guild was assembled at the dining table enjoying a meal in celebration of my graduation from the Arcane University. It had been delayed for several weeks because our guild head, Kud-Ei, had been visiting relatives in the Black Marsh. I was seated across the table from Fathis Aren. His words silenced the room.

I set my fork down and said icily, "I wasn't aware that your approval of my appearance was required." Fathis had been abusive towards me for some time. I guessed it was because I had, on more than one occasion, deflected his amorous advances. It seemed he liked 'wood nymphs'. I might have thought that humorous but, at the moment, there was nothing suggesting humor in the dark elf's dangerous manner. There was also no doubt that his magic skills vastly exceeded my own. To make matters worse, my bow was at home. It had never occurred to me that I might need to defend myself within the sanctuary of my own guild. Despite the blue gown that Delphine had kindly 'coaxed me into', I felt quite naked.

The Dunmer sorcerer coldly returned my gaze, seemingly unimpressed. "I'll caution you, young Apprentice, to mind your tone when addressing the Staff Wizard to the Court of Bravil." His hand was glowing menacingly and just a hint of sparks danced from his fingers as they drummed the surface of the table.

I felt my anger simmering as I slowly stood up. I knew I couldn't cast a spell to defend myself if I was seated. I was unsure if the powerful wizard across the table was similarly constrained, or whether his sparks were just for show.

Fathis' eyes remained locked on mine as he leaned slightly forward. With one elbow on the table, he slowly raised that ominously glowing hand towards his ear. The slight sparking between his fingers intensified slightly.

Kud-Ei, from her seat at the head of the table, stood as I did. "You just hold it right there Fathis!" The glaring Argonian crossed her arms defiantly over her chest. "I'll do anything for my girls. You may be someone important over in that castle, but this is my guild house. What has gotten in to you? Did the Count yank your chain today? If you think you can come in here and try to intimidate one of my mages, you have another thing coming. You just stop this nonsense right now and mind your manners, or get out of my guild! Is that clear?"

By now, Delphine Jend was also on her feet, with deadly resolve in her eyes. I realized Kud-Ei could instantly paralyze the sorcerer or take control of his mind if she chose. Delphine on the other hand, could freeze Fathis solid, then shatter him like a block of ice. Fathis might have been a match for one, but he could not hope to survive the pair of formidable guild mates now standing on my behalf. Mystical energy and tension pulsed through the room, causing the hair to rise slightly from the back of my neck. The power of these giants of magic dwarfed the pathetic flare spell, or even dancing cobra that I could cast.

If there was any emotion in Fathis' red eyes, it didn't show. He continued looking directly at me while addressing the head of the Bravil guild. "Why Mother Kud-Ei, I meant no offense to your young charge." The glow slowly faded from his hand as he reached for the goblet in front of him. "In fact, let me propose a toast to your newly returned graduate." He raised his goblet.

Fathis caused us no further trouble that evening. I had always admired and looked up to Kud-Ei. I now loved her dearly, and was so very proud to be one of 'her girls'.

After dinner, Ita Rienus pulled me aside. "Don't worry too much about Fathis. He fancies himself quite the ladies' man, and I know he's been pestering you. You're an attractive young elf with a beautiful heart and spirit, Buffy. To Fathis however, I suspect you simply represent another potential notch for his bedpost. That his advances have turned to insults is, oddly enough, encouraging. It means he realizes he's lost this conquest. I'm sure he'll move on to another soon.

Still shaken by the encounter, I asked, "Did you see how cold his eyes were, Ita? Do you think he will try to hurt me?"

"Oh my, he did scare you, child." The older Imperial's eyebrows furrowed with concern. "I truly don't believe you're in danger. Even though he's not in our chapter, Fathis is still subject to the rules of the Mages Guild Charter just like the rest of us. He won't cross the Council of Mages by hurting a member of the guild. It would risk his cushy position at the castle."

"I'm sure you're right. As much as he angers and frightens me, I hope someday he finds that special woman who can capture his heart," I smiled sweetly and added, "so she can break it and leave behind a crushed shell."

Ita's eyes widened, then she returned my smile. "Well I guess it's true enough that Oblivion hath no fury like a woman scorned. . . but enough of this kind of talk." Changing the subject, she said, "You look as pretty as the Dangerous Delphine tonight."

"Thank you." I blushed. "I'm afraid I didn't give her much to work with, but you know our irrepressible Delphine; she couldn't resist the challenge." I held up my arms, clad in blue velvet, and playfully spun around once. "Here I am, in one of her dresses. She even provided some of her jewelry for the night, and taught me another way I can arrange my hair."

Ita stabbed a finger at the air over my shoulder. "Look, here comes the Diva of Destruction hersel-"

"Oh there's our graduate!" Delphine breezed into the conversation. The bubbly Breton smiled and fussed busily with the neckline of my dress as she continued, "Now, isn't this much nicer than wearing those. . ." she wrinkled her nose, "animal skins you and Daenlin seem to favor?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Thank you for the fashion assistance, Delphine - and for standing on my behalf at dinner."

She frowned and lowered her voice - both were unusual actions for Delphine. "Listen, if that green bag of wind who does parlor tricks for the count bothers you again, you just let me know. I'll turn him into a chicken!" Without pausing for breath, her face brightened and she was off to another subject. "Don't worry about those destruction grades you got at the University, Buffy. We'll have you blowing things up before you know it. Why, we'll start with crates and barrels," Delphine's hands started dancing descriptively, "then work our way up to small buildings, then -" her eyes darted across the room. "Oh is that Carandial I see? You ladies simply must excuse me." As quickly as she had whirled into the discussion, Delphine was off again.

Ita shook her head, but smiled fondly as Delphine flittered away. "I get tired just watching her." The Imperial's eyes suddenly sparkled as she plunged a hand into the folds of her burgundy skirt and produced Azura's Star. Placing it in my hand, she said, "Thanks for letting me study this for the past couple days. It is indeed everything we had hoped for, and I know it'll serve you well."

"I'm very fortunate to have earned Azura's favor, Ita. I think she liked me. Thank you for sharing the legend with me and putting up with my badgering questions."

Another guest that evening was Ungarion. The Altmer owned 'A Warlock's Luck', the magic shop in Bravil. He was not a member of the guild, but visited us routinely. As the evening was winding down, he approached, smiling. "Let me add my congratulations and welcome home to you!"

"Why thank you Ungarion. I'm pleased that you joined us tonight." I looked up into his eyes and could see that he had more to say. Tilting my head pleasantly, I invited him to continue.

Ungarion dropped his voice and lowered his head towards me. "Buffy, some of your recent. . . ah, how shall we say this. . . adventures have come to my attention. In fact, there is a matter I would very much like to discuss with you," a single eyebrow climbed his forehead as he added, "privately. Would you do me the honor of sharing a meal in my store tomorrow after hours?"

I was intrigued. The high elf was a respected merchant and had always been kind to me. After a moment I replied, "Ungarion, I'd be pleased to. See you tomorrow then."

After the party was over and I was home in bed, I thought about the events of the evening. Buffy, what were you thinking, standing to confront Fathis Aren? Were it not for the intervention of Kud-Ei and Delphine, you could easily be dead now.

When I was insulted, I did or said dangerously stupid things. I was sure Fathis had hoped I would cast a silly flare spell or some such at him. Yes, that would have given him a handy self-defense justification to turn my bones into ash - which I had no doubt he could do. I thought about Boderi's characterization of me. Someday, my dragon spirit would really get my butterfly butt into trouble.

The episode with Fathis reminded me of my confrontation with Earana in Chorrol, after giving the 'Fingers of the Mountain' book to Teekeeus. My angry words overrode prudence there also. Were it not for the watchful Chorrol city guard, that incident could have meant my death. Unlike Fathis however, Earana was not a member of the guild. She was not restricted by the rules - but neither was I.

I had been back to Chorrol on several occasions since my first encounter with the rogue mage. Each time she had become more threatening. I was convinced that her death or mine was inevitable. Further, I firmly believed whoever chose the conditions and struck first would survive, while the other would not.

As I drifted off to sleep, my thoughts turned to Ungarion. What sort of mysterious business did the merchant of magic trinketry have in mind? Oh well, I would find out the next evening.

From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 28 2011, 10:24 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Acadian   Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2   Sep 12 2010, 03:37 PM
hazmick   Kud-Ei! hoorah! I loved your description o...   Sep 12 2010, 03:57 PM
haute ecole rider   Oooh, that Fathis! I found out on UESP Wiki t...   Sep 12 2010, 04:38 PM
Zalphon   I love how you captured the attitude of Fathis Are...   Sep 12 2010, 04:39 PM
SubRosa   Yay for Kud-Ei, and I see Delphine this time aroun...   Sep 12 2010, 04:57 PM
treydog   It is always good to have friends- having a winnin...   Sep 13 2010, 12:08 AM
Grizzly20   Excellent writing Acadian! Looks like our litt...   Sep 13 2010, 03:53 AM
D.Foxy   And now Ungarion is up to something- mysterious- w...   Sep 13 2010, 06:55 AM
Destri Melarg   Congratulations on thread number two (or should I ...   Sep 13 2010, 10:09 AM
mALX   First off, congrats on the new thread!!...   Sep 13 2010, 03:25 PM
Remko   Diva of Destruction.... :lol: :lol: :lol:   Sep 14 2010, 05:08 PM
Acadian   Chapter 27 resolved a potentially dangerous encoun...   Sep 15 2010, 03:54 PM
Destri Melarg   So Ungarion brought Buffy to his house and plied h...   Sep 15 2010, 04:21 PM
hazmick   That Ungarion, he's a sly one. I wish someone ...   Sep 15 2010, 04:27 PM
mALX   ARGH! Buffy looks so small next to Ungarion...   Sep 15 2010, 04:32 PM
haute ecole rider   Sometimes I wish I didn't have to go inside th...   Sep 15 2010, 04:41 PM
treydog   Those words juxtaposed with the screen-shot… :...   Sep 15 2010, 08:46 PM
SubRosa   One of my favorite Altmer - Ungarion. I always lov...   Sep 15 2010, 09:14 PM
Grizzly20   Another excellent read from Acadian! :) I fore...   Sep 16 2010, 01:26 AM
Acadian   In Chapter 28, Buffy discovered that Ungarion was ...   Sep 18 2010, 01:18 PM
treydog   The negotiation was first-rate! You infused U...   Sep 18 2010, 03:00 PM
mALX   I have to agree with Treydog on all counts here. ...   Sep 18 2010, 04:06 PM
hazmick   I would disagree with Buffy's use of black sou...   Sep 18 2010, 04:48 PM
SubRosa   What a girl wants, a girl needs. :) Once again, I ...   Sep 18 2010, 09:12 PM
Destri Melarg   Ungarion's attempt to ply Buffy with ‘mo...   Sep 18 2010, 11:14 PM
Zalphon   Once again, you've stolen the will from your r...   Sep 18 2010, 11:55 PM
haute ecole rider   Julian's nodding her head at this! Her ad...   Sep 19 2010, 02:23 AM
D.Foxy   I find myself singing Christina Aguilera's ...   Sep 19 2010, 02:33 AM
Acadian   Chapter 29 found Buffy outmatched by the black mar...   Sep 21 2010, 01:18 PM
Remko   I can relate to her "needing to kil before sh...   Sep 21 2010, 01:51 PM
D.Foxy   The thick liquid I now drizzled over the tip of my...   Sep 21 2010, 02:05 PM
mALX   BWAAAHAA !!!! I got a sneak pre...   Sep 21 2010, 03:02 PM
haute ecole rider   This brings to mind something a character in a dra...   Sep 21 2010, 05:00 PM
SubRosa   You really show Buffy leaving no stone unturned in...   Sep 21 2010, 05:11 PM
hazmick   No Buffy, don't go to sleep! argh! sor...   Sep 21 2010, 06:43 PM
treydog   While I might question Buffy about using a "p...   Sep 21 2010, 08:19 PM
Destri Melarg   This chapter really bothers me. On the one hand I...   Sep 22 2010, 01:44 AM
Zalphon   Buffy, how could you kill another living being? Y...   Sep 24 2010, 02:40 AM
Acadian   Chapter 30 was the first of four episodes comprisi...   Sep 24 2010, 03:46 PM
haute ecole rider   I loved this new chapter, but was surprised to hea...   Sep 24 2010, 04:04 PM
mALX   You've got so much foreshadowing in this chapt...   Sep 24 2010, 04:29 PM
hazmick   Jauffre dead!? never saw that coming, you hand...   Sep 24 2010, 04:37 PM
Remko   Geez, how many suckers did Lucien Lachance reel i...   Sep 24 2010, 05:10 PM
SubRosa   Nardhil's tale about Earana made me laugh, unt...   Sep 24 2010, 05:50 PM
treydog   At first, I was a little disoriented when Buffy di...   Sep 24 2010, 08:45 PM
Destri Melarg   Given that rationale, I hope she never meets Alva...   Sep 24 2010, 09:14 PM
Winter Wolf   The shot that was heard around the world. Well, a...   Sep 25 2010, 02:22 PM
Acadian   Chapter 31 was 'Dancing with Darkness', ep...   Sep 27 2010, 01:55 PM
haute ecole rider   Murder to protect yourself or a loved one is a lig...   Sep 27 2010, 02:49 PM
Remko   HAH- Death was too easy for that no good piece of ...   Sep 27 2010, 04:36 PM
SubRosa   This is quite an interesting change from the BF 1....   Sep 27 2010, 04:57 PM
hazmick   Wowza! It's great that Buffy didn't ki...   Sep 27 2010, 05:40 PM
treydog   I am proud of Buffy, as well. Not only did she ma...   Sep 27 2010, 10:14 PM
mALX   Wow, this is a totally diff chapter than the origi...   Sep 28 2010, 05:40 AM
Destri Melarg   Your description of Buffy’s struggle to kill or no...   Sep 28 2010, 10:05 AM
Acadian   Chapter 32 was the third episode of 'Dancing w...   Sep 30 2010, 03:10 PM
Remko   I remembered this part from BSGF and knew exactly ...   Sep 30 2010, 03:25 PM
treydog   Not surprising that Buffy does her best thinking...   Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM
haute ecole rider   Treydog already picked out my favorite passages, e...   Sep 30 2010, 04:04 PM
SubRosa   This was not only a pleasant return home, but one ...   Sep 30 2010, 06:03 PM
Destri Melarg   I’m gonna quote this again because, in this simpl...   Sep 30 2010, 08:05 PM
mALX   This has always been one of my fave chapters in th...   Oct 1 2010, 04:17 AM
hazmick   :( :( *Sniffle* That was beautiful. *Clears th...   Oct 1 2010, 02:41 PM
Grizzly20   I apologize for being absent for so long, as my co...   Oct 3 2010, 03:22 AM
Acadian   Chapter 33 concluded 'Dancing with Darkness...   Oct 3 2010, 12:22 PM
hazmick   Another Daedra lord! Buffy facing off against ...   Oct 3 2010, 02:57 PM
treydog   Wonderful descriptions and characterizations throu...   Oct 3 2010, 03:07 PM
mALX   Woo Hoo !!! You've added your own...   Oct 3 2010, 03:11 PM
haute ecole rider   What a wonderful chapter! I see you are gettin...   Oct 3 2010, 05:45 PM
SubRosa   Now this was a brilliant way of bringing Buffy int...   Oct 3 2010, 06:38 PM
Grizzly20   Brilliant! Another Daedra lord, can't wait...   Oct 3 2010, 10:24 PM
Destri Melarg   Wow! Just wow! What a way to introduce M...   Oct 4 2010, 08:30 AM
D.Foxy   A glass of...er...water A loaf of bread And Buffy ...   Oct 5 2010, 02:19 AM
Acadian   In Chapter 34, Buffy accepted a request from the U...   Oct 6 2010, 06:22 PM
mALX   Whew! What a battle! Here is my fave lin...   Oct 6 2010, 06:41 PM
SubRosa   Bright midday sun filtered through overhead branch...   Oct 6 2010, 09:57 PM
haute ecole rider   Buffy makes a heck of a battlemage herself - great...   Oct 6 2010, 10:23 PM
Linara   Ooo! Buffy the Necromancer Slayer returns :) ...   Oct 6 2010, 11:38 PM
treydog   The first paragraph grabs you by the throat (or no...   Oct 7 2010, 01:48 AM
Zalphon   As usual, well written, Buffy.   Oct 7 2010, 02:29 AM
D.Foxy   I watched the Buffy team battling the black team ...   Oct 7 2010, 03:39 AM
Destri Melarg   I will not re-quote that first paragraph, but know...   Oct 7 2010, 09:55 AM
Remko   I always enjoyed one-shotting filthy necromancers....   Oct 7 2010, 10:56 AM
Acadian   Chapter 35 saw Buffy successfully clear the necrom...   Oct 9 2010, 01:36 PM
D.Foxy   Oh Ho!!! Buffy using the "F...   Oct 9 2010, 03:00 PM
haute ecole rider   I like the explanation Buffy provides for her Daed...   Oct 9 2010, 03:34 PM
mALX   My absolute favorite line in this chapter, I LOVE ...   Oct 9 2010, 03:37 PM
SubRosa   Them orcs didn't look none too fond o' woo...   Oct 9 2010, 08:38 PM
treydog   Thernd is always a treat, with his down-to-earth w...   Oct 10 2010, 12:05 AM
Destri Melarg   Them orcs didn't look none too fond o' wo...   Oct 10 2010, 11:08 AM
Linara   Definitely my favorite line. She just sounds so B...   Oct 10 2010, 09:53 PM
Acadian   In Chapter 36, Buffy debriefed Raminus Polus on he...   Oct 12 2010, 01:08 PM
D.Foxy   Oops... She did it again She wounded their pride ...   Oct 12 2010, 01:28 PM
mALX   Oops... She did it again She wounded their pride...   Oct 12 2010, 05:35 PM
haute ecole rider   I loved Buffy's solution to the problem of Vol...   Oct 12 2010, 03:55 PM
SubRosa   Its massive weight immediately sought the ground, ...   Oct 12 2010, 04:56 PM
mALX   "Teaching the Drads how to farm" - ROFL...   Oct 12 2010, 05:34 PM
Zalphon   Buffy and Malacath sitting in a tree... K-I-S-S-I-...   Oct 13 2010, 02:30 AM
Linara   Well I can't say I agree with that but I stil...   Oct 13 2010, 02:44 AM
treydog   If Buffy ever learns to think before she speaks, s...   Oct 13 2010, 08:52 PM
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:17 AM