Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Goblin Lady
Acadian
post Aug 11 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, done, Renee!

Thank Azura for those handy 3rd Era adventures and that one of them helped get Cropsford sorted out.

Wow, an interest and/or support of goblins sure seems an unpopular hobby in Colovia!

Well, let's hope that Jayne's totemic efforts impress the goblin warrior bearing down on her. If not, Jayne has a solid back up plan. . . right? tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 11 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

I too, loved the inclusion of Cropsford and the 3rd Era hero who set things to right there.

Wow, so Mel is cool with curing vampires, but gets all in an uproar over making nice at goblins? Let's hope that Jayne has better luck with the goblins than she did with Mel!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 12 2019, 01:19 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

Quite a cliff hanger, Renee Gade. Who allowed you to post one segment this week and the other one next week? biggrin.gif

I'm really curious what Jayne said that made Melisande attack her? We also don't find out whether Melisande survived the encounter, though I assume she did.

Very clever to use a mace from the SI as a totem. In fact it's more similar to a totem than to a mace.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 16 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Interesting continuation. Our first encounter with a goblin, although not Jayne's, it would appear. Love the way you weave all the different eras together to make a consistent story.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 18 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian: Aw thanks! Yes, I left that sort of vague, the adventurer who saved Cropsford; we all have someone who did. smile.gif

SubRosa: Mel really disappointed both of us. Seriously I have no idea why she flipped like that. But in a strange way, it fit the story because in RP terms, there was supposed to be a tiff between those two anyway. Still though... she cast a flame atronach! What did my lady do to deserve this???

Lopov: Hee hee yes, thank you for helping me decide. Because I was unsure if I wanted to post the entire chapter as one BIG chapter. Turns out, that would have been too much, I think.

treydog: Aw, thank you. smile.gif I am loving your story too, even as I'm learning its scenarios piece by piece, years behind everyone else.

The next chapter is complete but we just got home from vacation earlier this evening, and I haven't slept in about 18 hours folks. So I'll post it tomorrow. Which is today, actually.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 18 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #26

Councilor
Group Icon

This chapter is longer. cake.gif I thought of chopping it into two, but I think it'll be better not to break up the flow. I originally wanted to have BOTH chapters (last week and this week) as one, but that would definitely have been too ambitious.

treydog (or anyone here) when different languages are shown in stories, I know these words get italicized. But do they always need to be italicized? That'll get sort of tedious for me to write the code in (or highlight stuff and press the I button).

Well... I guess I'll just post this as-is for now.

---------

Chapter V: Cracked Wood Cave

IPB Image

After some moments of preparation, Jayne stood fully from her hiding place. Immediately, the goblin sentry saw her. "Yargh!" he called, throwing his arms to the sky, readying his blade, baring his teeth. He began to stomp quickly toward her. Before she knew it, Jayne was fumbling her totem, hoping it would make all the difference.

Yargh, the common goblin war cry.

During the 3rd Era and well into the 4th, many different goblin tribes inhabited Cyrodiil: the Bitterfish, the Dust Eaters, the Bloody Hands, and so on. These tribes spoke many different dialects, and sometimes used words unique to their homesteads. But almost all of them shared yargh, which (like many goblin words) had several potential meanings. The most obvious, in this situation, being "attack!" of course.

However, it all depended how yargh was said, and when it was said. If someone wanted to learn to speak goblinese, this learner had to pay attention not just to words and phrases, but also body language, and sign language. Unlike human and mer communications, which depended almost solely upon specific sounds and articulations, goblins spoke to each other not just through their voices, but also by gestures, hand motions, and sometimes their entire bodies.

Jayne Goodfall considered all of this within a split second, before nearly having great lumps hacked out of her. The goblin rushed toward her! Made some sort of scream as he swung his weapon.

... And then stopped, his gaze transfixed upon Jayne's shiny wooden totem. He then blinked. He actually blinked.

"Tschoo gshirri Muluk," the goblin spoke, suddenly flummoxed, his face suddenly carrying an expression which could only be described as dumbfounded.

"Yes!" Jayne said in her own language, miming with her left hand. "Tschoo Muluk gshirri," she continued, constricting her throat, forcing her voice an octave higher. "I have Muluk. Muluk gshirri rashidaka," (Muluk me find) she added, moving her hands from up toward the sky, down toward her heart.

Muluk... the common word for the god almost all their tribes worshipped. Once the goblin had said that word, Jayne knew everything would be fine. She would certainly live. She had managed to distract the sentry. "Muluk rashidaka Jayne," she said, pointing to herself. "Jayne gshirri." (I am Jayne).

Unlike the languages of mer and humans, one did not need to worry about the order of words when speaking goblinese. One did not need to worry about conjugation. Or prepositions. Or conjunctions, and so on. Grammar was nearly nonexistent in most cases. She could have said "Rashidaka Muluk Jayne" (find Muluk Jayne) and the 'sentence' would still make sense to the goblin, for it was her gestures and facial movements which made all the difference. Only the shamans spoke in more arcane terms. Within the goblin tribe, it was usually the shaman whose intelligence was highest, and the actual usage of certain shaman terminology was often forbidden by others within the tribes.

But now, the goblin's face molded into a rather unusual shape, as though he were trying to smile. "Tschoo Jayne" (You Jayne) he said solemnly, pointing toward her, his eyes becoming rather enormous. He could not quite pronounce her name correctly, causing Jayne to stifle a giggle. "Tschoo ... Jayne gahlin ksharra!" he further emoted. (You Jayne goblin lady!)

Jayne did not answer, nor did she need to. She knew her face was blushing.

"Tschoo ... Jayne gahli ksharra!" the goblin said again.

"Yes. I am the goblin lady." She was grinning now. She could not help herself.

"Tschoo Jayne gahli ksharra!" He made a little dance, as he spoke louder. "TSCHOO JAYNE GAHLI KSHARRA!"

At once, the sentry ran off into the evening, gesturing for Jayne to follow. And she did. She followed him round a large boulder, hastily spied what looked to be a small village across a road. She was sure it was Cropsford, but there was no time to investigate. She knew what was coming next.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Jayne was led to a door in a rock, which led to an underground dwelling which the Imperials had designated Cracked Wood Cave. The goblin rushed ahead, chittering and chattering so quickly, even she could barely understand. Once inside the cave, she waited a moment as the sentry rushed ahead. The place was well-lit by wall sconces, she noticed, which meant it was one of the more comfortably-inhabited goblin lairs.

"Oh, what have we here?" she spoke aloud. Within seconds, the initial sentry she'd met outside the cave was then joined by two others!

"Gahli tschoo ksharra!" they burst, speaking over each other. "Tschoo ksharra tshchoo ksharra gahli gahli!"

"Yes. I am the lady of goblins! And I have returned!"

Her voice delighted the green-skinned creatures. They parted ways, then motioned with their hands, allowing Jayne Goodfall to stride into their home. Down a set of passageways, and into a rather large chamber of stone, where she was greeted by their resident chef, and one of their designated warriors. All around, their babbling continued. The chef began scrambling in an over-excited manner, rushing over to her tables, probably trying to see if there was something for Jayne to eat.

After several more minutes (and several more urgings for her to venture deeper into Cracked Wood Cave) Jayne strode into a second large chamber, where she was met by their children. At least a dozen of them crowded around the goblin lady! At that moment, there was little difference between the adults and their spawn; all were in a frenzied state of rejoice.

Finally, the shaman herself joined the crowd. When she appeared, the others hushed their revelry at once, for the shaman's presence (in this situation) demanded a few moments of silence. It was important that the shaman make her inspection of any new incomers. Though more sullen than the others, Jayne did not mistake the shaman's downplaying of the moment. She knew at once what she must do. Jayne made a motion with her hips and hands, rather like a lass curtseying before a queen. She then held this pose. Five seconds. Ten seconds. Twenty. After thirty full seconds, the shaman seemed satisfied. She then made her cry, filling the underground with a shriek which might make a seasoned legionnaire shiver.

"Yarrrrgh!" She approved. And now, the celebration was on!

Jayne Goodfall was ushered toward a rather haughty-looking throne, and nearly forced to have a seat. The chef who'd been looking for some food earlier, finally bustled over. Handed Jayne some sort of roasted kebob, as well as a cup full of liquid. The kebab was either roasted rat, or roasted durzog. Whatever the delicacy, it certainly tasted good. As the goblins continued to make noise in festivity, Jayne cautioned the drink she'd been handed with a sniff. One had to be careful with goblin imbibements! But to her relief, she discovered the drink was ordinary beer.

As the celebration wore on, and two of the children began to paint Jayne's feet, Jayne could not allay a tinge of worry. She had been through so much, and now she was home. Back in Cyrodiil, for good. But because she was back for good, she knew her days as a free woman were numbered.

"I must return to the city," she said aloud decisively. "'Tis what is right, and 'tis what shall be required. And I must see. I must see if anything has survived. And if this means my imprisonment, so be it."

"Gahli maakshira towee!" one of the children called, pointing toward Jayne's newly-painted feet, expecting approval.

"Towee maakshira gahli," Jayne Goodfall agreed with a smile.

------------------------------------

Creepy roleplay video -- (Even though I am the one who modded all this in, my gosh I got shivers when those gobs started running out of darkness! indifferent.gif It's kinda messy, but I spent so much time making it, and there are some genuine inspired moments at least! ... The beginning is really dark, not sure why. If you can't see what's going on, just fast-forward to 30 seconds or so).

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 18 2019, 06:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 18 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

Great to see how Jayne is reaching out to communicate with the goblin.

It seems her reputation has preceded her! Very cool. Jayne is a goblin urban legend.

The video was really cool, watching that pack of goblins following her everywhere.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 18 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #28

Paladin
Group Icon

Fun vid as Jayne gathers her tribe!

Whew! A relief that her totem worked. Those nice goblins certainly seem kinder to Jayne that anyone of the 'civilized' folk we've met so far. They even painted her feet! tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Aug 19 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Very clever to include some actual goblin language.

Great video - look at how much they adore her! Long live the goblin queen! Nice to read some comments in the upper left screen. Goblin archers are named a4chers BTW.

This story answers to some questions but opens up several new ones. Looks like that Jayne has already been involved with goblins in the past, and there's something, whatever it is, that needs to be done in some town. A very intriguing story, Renee.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 19 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

As far as the foreign language, I am a typography dinosaur... And I think since it is clear by context, you can save yourself the coding. smile.gif

So apparently "Yargh" serves the same function in Goblinese as "Dude" does in Surfer English. (Since, according to a standup routine I saw, "dude" can mean anything from a greeting, to an indication that one has failed spectacularly, to an inquiry as to whether someone is hiding in the closet with a big knife... ).

The video was wonderful, as was her reception by the goblins. Loved the way the shaman had to make Jayne "show respect" before "Yarghing" the celebration into full swing.

And the children were also a treat.

Wonderfully done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 1 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

SubRosa: Yes. Her reputation. smile.gif She certainly has several of these. Thank you, that video was somewhat stressful to make, as I'll explain in a minute.

Acadian: Yes totally, she gets more respect from baddies than goodies, it seems. emot-ninja1.gif I wonder what Buffy would think.

Lopov: Lol I know... Jayne has Goblin A4chers in her game! Oops.

treydog: Oh yeah, yargh has several meanings, it seems, just like the way people say dude or cool in English. I like to think these creatures only have a few hundred "words" which they use, some words only get used by certain tribes, while others are shared. A lot of them get reused.

Thanks for helping me with the italics / foreign language question, too.

The idea for that video struck just a week before I made it, and from that moment a slew of ideas began to flood my head as I worked at my job. panic.gif I'd struggle to try remembering them all (along with the ideas I was getting for the story itself) or write them down. If I'd spent more time on it, I could have made more cool stuff happen, but I also want to get this story told and over with. I estimate there are 7 or 8 more chapters to go.

cake.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 1 2019, 06:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 1 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #32

Councilor
Group Icon

Chapter VI: The Yellow Road

On the morning of Last Seed 31, in the Fourth year of the Fourth Era, Jayne Goodfall left Cracked Wood Cave. Rain was falling softly but steadily. Her clothes quickly became soaked as she began to stride north. Confident, yet apprehensive. There was an apple in the new satchel one of the archers had made for her. Jayne grabbed it, and began to munch.

There would be plenty of jail time in her future, she knew this. She was ready to face it. After years of living as a fugitive though, fleeing from Cyrodiil, then living in poverty and obscurity in Morrowind ... after months of being enslaved by that gang, maybe incarceration wouldn't be so bad. The Imperial City itself was supposed to have rather 'comfortable' living quarters, compared to jails in some of Cyrodiil's outlying counties. So she had heard, anyway. Maybe incarceration wouldn't be so bad.

The time had come to get the matter addressed, at least. For she was not going back to Morrowind.

The goblins who'd hosted her for the night were not happy to see her go, of course. But the truth was, it could be dangerous for her to continue with them. Cracked Wood's shaman explained (brokenly, in Jayne's own language) that goblin hunting was rare nowadays. It had literally been years since any of Cyrodiil's Third Era adventurers had even been heard of,.in the Niben. Also, the former rivalry between regional tribes had died long ago. All of this was good news to Jayne, but she also knew the reality. Could not ignore the reality. The civilized world still viewed goblin societies with hostility. There was still plenty of work to be done.

As she walked she looked down to her feet, which were newly-painted: bright white, orange and green, plainly visible through the sandals she wore. She hoped her feet would not become a problem. The children had wanted to paint her face as well, but for reasons they could not understand yet, this would definitely not be a good idea.

------------------------------------

By mid-day, Jayne reached the intersection between the Yellow Road she'd traveled upon, and the Red Ring Road she'd be taking to the city. Pleasantly surprised, she was, by the state of Cyrodiil's roads.

When she'd fled the province several years before, it was rare to see any sort of citizen traipsing along calmly. Roads were considered unsafe, mostly inhabited by outlaws, and the guards who chased them. Then, the Oblivion Crisis had begun to dominate Cyrodiil. One never knew when and where the next Oblivion Gate might break through. One never knew if that nearby grove of hickory and clover might become yet another opening into a hellish plane. For all these reasons, Jayne's final memories of Cyrodiil's roads were chaotic ones.

Well, this had certainly changed.

"Hello!" chirped a friendly merchant, greeting Jayne as though it were not rainy.

"Good to see you!" a Redguard lady waved.

"What is it, Breton trash?"

At one point, a platinum-haired elf walked by, a Dunmer, oddly wearing Nordic armor pieces. Jayne tried greeting this man on her own, but for once, all she got in return was a solid glare. Merely shrugged away. If this was as bad as things got these days, she had little to worry about.

Even when a leather-clad orc bandit spotted her, cast some sort of spell, then began chase, all Jayne had to do was backtrack down the Yellow Road. The chainmail-wearing Colovian soldier who she'd passed a half-hour before was still there. A quick fight ensued, the soldier gladly taking down the orc. Jayne was out of breath, but had garnered not even a scratch. She thanked the soldier for her assistance, then headed back north again. Back toward the city.

But then, she viewed an Imperial Legionnaire in the distance, and her spirit sank. The man was horseback. Clad in shiny, expensive armor.

"Time to get this done and over with," Jayne said aloud, before plowing tentatively forward.

------------------------------------------

"Yaaagh!"

Goodbye fellow creatures!

Striding north

"Come back here!"

Colovian assistance

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 1 2019, 07:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 2 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Looks like Jayne has some great plans in mind. I wonder what she intends to do now, upon seeing the horseman.

Nice reflection of events before and after the Oblivion Crisis.

That's quite a farewell party. laugh.gif I'm glad they let her go, considering how much they adore her.

The Imperial City itself was supposed to have rather 'comfortable' living quarters, compared to jails in some of Cyrodiil's outlying counties. So she had heard, anyway. Maybe incarceration wouldn't be so bad.

I bet she read this in Life behind the bars by Kahreem of Weet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 2 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #34

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm still getting a kick out of Jayne's painted feet. tongue.gif

I wonder if she's actually going to do some jail time?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 2 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

Yaaagh!

Jayne has her temporary goblin tats on.

Uh oh, Jayne is going to be doing hard time. Maybe Khareem will be her cellmate?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 8 2019, 03:39 AM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

Lopov: funny you just mentioned Kahreem. wink.gif

Acadian: I have no idea where that painted feet idea came from. laugh.gif Silly Renee roleplays in action. I was at work and I think I began thinking of pedicures. Like, Jayne gets her toenails painted. But then, why would they stop there? Human feet are much broader than goblin feet, I think. They make for better canvases.

SubRosa: Again, another Kahreem mention. Well, my Redguard does get a rather subtle cameo in this next chapter.

treydog: Dang, no treydog this week!

This one's rather long, it'll probably be the longest chapter (not including the final one). I was thinking of breaking it up, but it makes the most sense to just get it all out of the way at once. cake.gif I appreciate everyone's attention.

-----------------------------------------

Chapter VII: The Guard

Too afraid to cry out
The world listens no more
For my heart there is no door
Help me if I sleep, a little more

IPB Image

She spotted him from a distance. The Imperial guard she'd turn herself in to was horseback, and roughly twenty yards away. A young fellow, barely old enough to shave. Not that beards were fashionable in those days. The guard's assigned route had probably covered the entire eastern side of Red Ring Road, but not the massive bridge which spanned the Niben. As he and his horse approached this bridge, they pivoted a half-circle, and were now abruptly headed Jayne's way.

Jayne Goodfall stood rigid, took a deep breath, then forced herself to relax. Now was the moment. How long had she been dreading this moment? ... She approached the man, and when he looked her way, she froze. The arrest process would begin.

First the guard would rush toward her, and she'd be referred to as "SCUM!" Next, her writ would be read. Like it or not, she was a criminal, after all. Finally, she'd have two options: Face arrest, or resist it. The usual third option (payment of gold) would surely not apply. She barely had any, after all.

But as Jayne neared the young man, there were no drastic reactions from him. "Six o'clock in the evening and all's well." He said cheerfully. "How can I help you ma'am?"

Jayne did not know what to say at first. Though she had never been arrested herself, it had been several years since she'd witnessed the process. Back in the latter Third Era there was one Redguard fellow, rumored to be a thief living on the Marie Elena, whose arrest she'd personally witnessed at least twice.

"Uh ... sir?"

"Please make it quick, citizen. My patrol awaits, and a legion steed can't keep still for very long."

"I..." Jayne blinked. "Are you not going to arrest me?"

The guard's face became quizzical. "Arrest you?" He cocked his head to the right.

Jayne stood stunned, unsure of what to make of this. Maybe policy for the unlawful had changed? Weren't Imperial soldiers in the province of Cyrodiil simply supposed to recognize outlaws? "I ... uh," she cleared her throat, trying to form the question. "My name is Jayne Goodfall. And aren't I a wanted woman? For as you can see, I have returned to Cyrodiil."

"Wanted? For return to Cyrodiil?" the guard said in his booming voice. "I cannot say I recognize you from our Most Hunted list, ma'am, and within the right mind of this personage of Imperial Law, you are therefore free to go."

"I am..." she shook her head as she realized the implication of his words. "I am ... free to go?"

"Well yes, you are," he chuckled. "Who exactly are you? Are you someone I should know? Have you stolen a few sweetrolls from the Roxey?"

Jayne shook her head again, this time in amazement. For he truly did not know who she was.

"Seriously, woman, who exactly are you? Are you someone I should know? You've got my ear for the moment, so let's hear it."

Jayne considered the man's question, then decided to answer it.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

It was the month of Sun's Dusk, during the Third Era, year four-hundred and thirty-three. The rumors were proven to be true: Uriel Septim VII had been assassinated by a mysterious red-robed cult, and talk of some sort of Daedric attack upon the town of Kvatch was just beginning. At the time, Jayne Goodfall was in a rather peculiar and strategic position. For once, it was looking as though all her years of scholarly research might just prove beneficial, in one very massive way.

Jayne’s advanced schooling began in the year 409 when she was 25 years old. Her field of choice would translate to what is called ‘entomology’ in some worlds, basically, the study of bugs. In the land of Tamriel however, ‘bugs’ included all sorts of diabolical creatures, including some very dangerous predators, such as blood wasps, and shalk beetles! ... Fortunately for Jayne, she mostly studied smaller insects: ants, bees, torch bugs, and so on.

Jayne worked with teams of other scholars. The year 414 was her first of notable progress. She was in Skyrim, studying the hierarchy of honey bees, quietly taking notes, endlessly assessing them. When she returned to Bruma several months later, it was her theories which managed to increase the production of honey within that county. Unfortunately, since she’d been working with a group of others, her efforts did not receive specific acclaim.

Ten years later at the age of 35, she was living in the province of Morrowind. Jayne had graduated with full scholarly benefits a month before, and had taken a grant to do studies in the egg mines of West Gash. Again, she was working with a group of others.

Though traditional egg miners had been at their trade for centuries, certain lairs were having problems. Queens could get ornery, even in the presence of long-established miners. Kwama foragers were always a general nuisance, and so on. The miners were also having trouble breaking into new territories.

After painstaking study, it was Jayne’s contributions which made the greatest differences. The miners had known for ages that kwama communicated through small clicks and squeaks, but it was Jayne Goodfall who was first able to prove that they also relied upon their sense of smell to ‘speak’ to one another. After this discovery, miners began using specially-derived kwama scents to fool the more-hostile members into docility. The result? New egg mines in The Ashlands and Molag Amur were opened up. Locally, Jayne was hailed for her brilliance.

Despite these advances, once again her input got lost in the paperwork. All accolades eventually went to the overall leader of her field research team, as they often did.

It wasn’t until latter years back in Cyrodiil that she was finally recognized. By now, she had become head of the Imperial City’s Field Research Exposition Team. She even had her own office in White Gold Tower itself! This office was small, a virtual broom closet, yes, but it was her virtual broom closet. She was garnering plenty of respect from various important people, including Elder Council members.

But she wasn’t just living in the city with her name on a door. Jayne had spent several years in wilderness, studying the various goblin tribes in Cyrodiil, then living amongst them. Though the concept of a human living with goblins was not unheard of, Jayne was the first to academically prove it was possible to also learn their language, and even befriend their leaders. She was the first to be able to travel from tribe to tribe (something which the infamous cave-dweller known as Goblin Jim was unable to do), garnering respect as she went from the Dust Eaters to the White Skins, and so on.

Early in the Year 433, she was also the first to be able to peacefully bring an actual goblin into the city itself. This creature was merely a docile chef, true, but a breakthrough was still a breakthrough. Miss Goodfall earned the ‘Goblin Lady’ nickname during this time, after she paraded this chef before the Elder Council. She then proved it was possible to communicate with the green-skinned being. Several council members were able to ask the chef some questions, which Jayne translated back and forth, to eventual loud applause. It was her day in the sun, as the saying goes. Eventually, the idea was suggested by Jayne and her team: What if it were possible for citizens and goblins to live side-by-side, without conflict?

But then, the Oblivion Crisis occurred, and this changed everything.

Jayne’s original plan of a peaceful existence between societies became amended. Sometime during Evening Star of 433, she presented her latest (and final) dissertation to the council. In this one were several new ideas, including one which intrigued all the council’s members.

Oblivion gates were popping up all over the land, not just in the vicinity of Cyrodiil’s towns, but also in wilderness areas. It was thought the guards and guilds could handle the towns, but what about smaller villages, such as Pell’s Gate, or Aleswell? What about travel upon Cyrodiil’s roads? There simply weren’t enough protective feet on the ground in the country itself. Daedra attacks were becoming commonplace. The Hero of Kvatch, a middle-aged man with flowing gray hair (a former scroll-writing sage mysteriously known as The Grey Wizard) had managed to close the gate in that town (with the help of Martin Septim, of course). But the idea of one man doing it all seemed so ludicrous at the time, it was something nobody even considered.

Enter Jayne Goodfall, presenting her own seemingly ludicrous ideas before the council. Goblins lived all over the land, she informed. They lived near to some towns, they lived near to most villages, and they certainly lived in areas which only the boldest adventurers might venture. All goblin dwellings were fortified. What if she were able to successfully convince Cyrodiil’s numerous goblin tribes that they should join forces with the Empire? What if Imperial soldiers and goblin warriors were to fight parallel to one another, casting aside their usual fear and hatred?

Her suggestions quickly gained traction. Forty out of fifty council members forwarded the idea at the time; if only Uriel Septim were still alive, certainly Jayne would have the final go-ahead.

She was able to convince the council to allow her to entice a group of ten goblin 'representatives' from Fort Ash. These goblins came to the Imperial City with Jayne, under Imperial protection, and then entered the city itself without incident. The idea was to prompt these goblins to join forces with the Empire, then they'd go off and spread the word to other tribes. By now, Jayne had so much influence among these tribes. Any official suggestion from her (arranged by totems, or otherwise) might just be taken seriously.

It was on the morning of Evening Star 30 that the goblins, Jayne’s team, and the Elder Council were all to sign the first tentative contract toward what she hoped would become a fruitful endeavor. Not just for the sake of the Oblivion Crisis, but also for the future of these creatures, as well. If the goblins could prove themselves in war, assisting the Empire, certainly the time would come when they'd be recognized as possible candidates for citizenry.

Unfortunately, things did not go as planned.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

“So,” the road patrol said in a rather smug tone of voice, “what you are saying is IF only for you and your … ability to speak to the goblins, it might of been you who’d became the Champion of Cyrodiil, instead of our current Arch Mage, the Grey Wizard himself?”

“You try my patience, soldier," Jayne answered pensively. "No, ‘tis not what I am saying a'tall. All’s I am saying is that if I had been able to implement my ideas into successful action, the crisis itself could have been curtailed with much less bloodshed, and with due haste.”

“Hmph," the guard seemed nonplussed. "Well, I must indulge, I suppose. So what happened next?”

“Well, I believe that some of the goblins became overwhelmed. Here they were, captive within the big city, a place full of foodstuffs, riches, and treasure which they could only previously imagine. They were to be held within one of White Gold Tower's numerous chambers for the night, under lock and key. And I should have been with them. But I was not."

"Go on," the guard prodded, his face summoned from a different time.

"Thank you. Well from here on, I blame myself for the events which unfolded. For I was not with them, no, I was celebrating in The Feed Bag, an establishment you may have heard of, in the Imperial City Market District. I'd had a bit too much to drink, all of us were full of glee. And the goblins.... apparently some of them somehow managed to break out of the tower. They can be masters with lockpicking, you know. Anyway, they took advantage of their newfound situation. Some of them, not all, but some, became apparently greedy. Went off looting in the middle of the night. Citizens were terrified, fights broke out, and then, one of the Market District merchants got killed. ... And I was to blame! ..I blame myself, soldier,” Jayne looked to her feet. “I blame myself.”

“You blame yourself?”

“I do. In the morning, the guards came for me. All the goblins had been founded, then eradicated, by then. I was on my way to my office, when one of the council members told me the news. Well, of course I immediately rushed toward the tower, but by then it was too late. I was confronted by a guard, who began to read my writ. I was to be placed under arrest."

“I see,” the soldier stifled a yawn. “Listen lady, is there much more to this ... tale?”

“You still seem in disbelief,” Jayne sighed. “Listen to me! Will you?"

The guard shrugged. Grabbed a bottle from a rucksack located on his horse's flank. Pulled the cork from its top. "Go ahead."

"Well, I panicked. Instead of consenting to immediate arrest I began trying to explain who I was, and what should then be done about this situation. And of course, the guard did not want to hear any of this. In his eyes, I was now resisting. He drew his weapon! And so did all the others within the locale. I had no choice but to panic, and run."

"You ran?"

"It was to be a temporary thing, me running from the law. I knew this. But fortunately at that very moment some sort of riot had just broken out upon the Waterfront. All the guards were called to assist. Something about taxes, if I recall. So the guard who'd been ready to take me in suddenly rushed away."

The soldier nodded, took a swig from his bottle. Was he intrigued, or bored? Jayne could not tell.

"I fled the city, but later tried to return. I needed to explain ... if only I'd been able to speak to a council member, maybe this could all have been sussed out. As it was, every guard I encountered wanted to hear none of it. My bounty was apparently quite high! They'd immediately draw their weapons if they even saw me approach.

"Again," she continued, "I had to run. I located a horse, then stole it. Rode off to Morrowind, because I knew its western shores quite well. Stayed there for many years. I had no other choice you see, but to spend those years in exile, and fear."

Jayne made eye contact with the man then, unsure what to expect. The guard was smiling though, had himself another swig from his bottle.

"Really ma'am, you are holding me up from traveling my designated route. The sun now crests the western horizon; I should be halfway back to Cheydinhal by now."

"So, you do not believe me?" Jayne nearly pleaded.

"Even if any of this is true, there's nothing I can do about it. Honestly, all this sounds like the ramblings of a crazy woman, if you ask me."

"I see."

The guard began moving off without another word, his horse clip-clopping slowly away. Jayne realized then that the bottle he'd been drinking from was full of ale.

"Oh, might I ask one final question of you sir?"

The guard sighed. "What is it now?"

"Have you heard any news about a gang of brigands, moving from town to town, thieving from successful citizens with ostensibly elaborate schemes, and then disappearing like specters into the night?"

This stopped the guard right on the spot, his horse no longer clip-clopping. He turned to her. His face (illuminated by torchlight) now a mask of disgust.

"Hey, what do YOU know about a gang of brigands thieving from citizens? Hmm? What of this? For you see, there are reports of some sort of ... gang, who've so far caused local havoc. First in Leyawiin, then in Bravil."

"Oh, you want my input on the matter?" Jayne feigned surprise. "Well, I don't know if you should trust me! After all, this information of mine could merely be just the ramblings of a crazy woman!"

"But" the guard stammered " ... wha-- but....how....?"

As the guard began motioning his hands this way and that, Jayne walked calmly away, relieved that she was still a free woman. She began wondering if The Sleeping Mare in Pell's Gate would have a place to stay for the night.

------------------------------

Jayne the scholar, circa 409

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 8 2019, 04:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 8 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

A very detailed and intriguing insight into Jayne's past. I agree, it was better to post this entire chapter in one piece. Looks like Kahreem's actions on the Waterfront might have saved her from being arrested.

It's the young Goblin Lady!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 8 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

I love the life you bring to the interactions- with the goblins, and with the other travelers. And I also like the idea of running the bandit back into the wandering guard.

And the description of prior events adds perfect background to the story.

And of course, the “arrest” does not go quite as she expected. I suppose the passing of the Oblivion Crisis affected the guards' previous omniscience regarding crimes....

The entomological details ring true and, once again, add wonderful depth.

And now (some of) the tale is told- at least how she became a fugitive from the law. And the current law- as embodied by a bored patrol rider, is not impressed. Yet she gets the last word and leaves him wondering. Most excellent!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 8 2019, 07:02 PM
Post #39

Paladin
Group Icon

Good that all of Jayne’s worries turned out for naught. Hopefully, she may now consider herself a free Goblin Lady.

Nice job on filling in more background – including reference to the Weet Bandit and the Gray Wiz. I really enjoyed reading of Jayne’s insights and accomplishments regarding bugs and goblins.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 8 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

You are bringing back so many Oblivion memories with things like running back to a traveling Legionary with a bandit in tow. Playing Morroblivion reminds me of what a big evolution that was between the games. There were no travelers on the roads in Morrowind at all. There were a few people in static locations, who never moved. But no people who regularly moved around the map on their own accord, like the Legion riders or black horse couriers.

Wow, Jayne is not the Original Gangster she thought she was!

If you want to study bugs, Morrowind is definitely the place to go! Half the critters there seem to be bugs, and the half lizards and reptiles. The only mammals are the people.

Very clever Jayne to think outside the crate and look at senses other than hearing being used in communication.

The Grey Wizard is the Hero of Kvatch in this timeline! I remember him! smile.gif

It's never good when the detective you are trying to confess to starts drinking to pass the time! laugh.gif

She stole a horse? Following in Khareem's footsteps there!

Jayne was a looker in her time!

--------------------
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:16 PM