Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> No Elves in Sovngarde, I've decided to to turn my "A day in Skyrim" adventure i
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 18 2012, 07:32 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Hey y'all! The "Today in Skyrim" thing made mee remember how MUCH I love writing, and how much better it is to not just write shutff and hide it. So the first post is going to be the old "chapters" combined along with the new one I just wrote. Feedback welcome, but remember, no one has seen anything I've written in over 8 years, lol

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 18 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter One: Potema's Offer, My refusal

I can't believe this. I can't believe this. I got dragged into another campaign against the undead.

I HATE undead.

Falk called me again to deal with Potema. I hate Necromancers. I hate undead. You're dead. Stop acting like you're alive!
I sneak in the chapel's undercroft and dispatch any draugr and vaampires I see. Blech. Draugr disgust me the most. Their dried up bodies with their sinewy muscles showing, skin rotted off but not so rotten they are skeletons.
I keep my Ebony bow on hand. If I can kill them from a distance, I won't smell them. If i can smell them, they're too close.

Potema has called me to her side. When she spoke, my vision grew fuzzy. I wasn't expecting her to use her magicka to contact me. I'll have to steel myself for any future contact.

Draugr rose from the walls, from the water, and vampires snapped and struck at me. I kept checking my pack for cure disease potions, but I can't find any. I'm probably panicking too much to see them. It's okay, Kayla. Just get Potema's skull and bring it to Syrr. That wonderful, wonderful man who would consecrate Potema's skull and I would never have to deal with her again.

The temple's undercroft eventually turned into a cave. I will never understand why Skyrim has so many caves. How has it not collapsed from under them? A blinding light shone from above in the next room after I killed a vampire. I absentmindedly wondered why no one noticed a giant hole in Solitude as I shot the resting draugr against the wall. I heard a choked growl. Oh Sithis! One was hidden behind the pillar! I unsheathed Dawnbreaker and quickly stabbed his dried up body until it no longer moved. As a precaution I loaded the strongest fireball spell I had to burnt the corpse of the...corpse.

I continued. I saw a large lever in the center of the room. I stared at it. What...why?? Where's the gods-damned door? I pull it and duck. The wall next to me makes a grinding, scraping sound that makes my teeth hurt. I now hate ancient Nords.

I try to duck through the opening when the bars rise. I barely slip through before being crushed in half. (at this point my notes simply say "turns in" and I have no idea why I wrote that.) I see an alchemy station, and around it are old potions and dried ingredients. I taste one potion; it's a very strong healing potion. I put that in my pack and open the other one and stop myself from tasting it. Judging from the smell and viscosity and...the smell, it's Frostbite Spider venom. Wonderful. I put that in my pack as well.

The equipment seems to be functioning alright, so I check my ingredients. The only useful thing I could make is a slow poison, and a damage magicka poison. I mixed these two together. I don't know what form Potema will be in, and in case she has posessed one of her undead servants, I'll need this.

I walk through the door and hear...too much activity. That grinding, scraping sound can be heard. I slink to the next room, down the stairs and see the rotating doors. No one else sems to be around. So I stand up straight and pull a lever. One door stops...aw, Sithis. I pull it again and it continues in the other direction. I think I've figured this out. Eventually all three doors have an opening for me and I slip though quietly. But not quietly enough.

In the next room I see a draugr...no, a draugr DEATHLORD on a throne, his head bowed. A vampire casually walks out from behind the pillar and addresses me. Once he mentioned joining Potema, I lost it. I ran at him so fast he yelled in surprise. When Dawnbreaker's blade sunk into his cold flesh, an explosion resonated from the blade, reducing the vampire to ash. Tears stung my eyes. I will never, ever be ANYONE'S slave.

I heard the sound of old bones and joints rubbing against each other, papery muscles gaining strength and an old throat finding its voice.

The deathlord.

I had rushed the vampire without forming a plan of attack. I pretend I can't hear him, so when he raises up his sword for the death blow, I see it in the fire light. Right before he strikes I roll out of the way. The greatsword hits the stone ground and I can see the vibration in the sword. He doesn't care. He opens his mouth.

"FUS, RO DAH!"

I hit the stone wall, Dawnbreaker knocked out of my grasp. "Oh yeah?" I choke out. "Two can play at this game."

I take in a deep breath as the Deathlord rushes me and put all of my strength in the shout.

"IIZ!" Arms raised in another final strike, one that would have surely killed me or wounded me beyond saving, the draugr's mangled face was frozen under the ice in a look of rage. I grabbed Dawnbreaker and searched frantically through my pack for a healing potion. I had about ten seconds. I find the one from the room, and see some of my potions were broken. Sithis. I downed this one and coughed at the bitter taste of the ancient potion. Potions are NOT like wine.

I stand up and gripped Dawnbreaker. I coud see the ice melting. This gods-damned leathery piece of Mammoth dung was NOT going to kill me before I killed Potema for good.

I hopped over the almost-thawed body of the draugr Deathlord, casting a fire rune on the ground. I turned around and steeled my nerves for the imminent explosion, Dawnbreaker in one hand and a firebolt spell in the other. As I expected, the Deathlord stepped on the rune and a fiery explosion engulfed him in flames. he never stopped. He gripped his sword and took a deep breath and-

Got a firebolt straight into his mouth. I don't have time for this. As he recoiled from the force(apparently they don't feel pain) I severed his head from his body. I can't do this. I can't deal with this. I want to go home to Onmund. I want to feel his stubble against my cheek as he whispers "Hello, my love."

Tears spilled from my eyes as I cried in rage. I threw a fireball spell at the Deathlord's corpse and coughed as it burned. I dropped to one knee. This isn't fair. This...drive to help people, when it could kill me. The knowledge that if it isn't me, it would be no one. There would be no one to protect Onmund, or keep the world safe for our future children.

I stood up and wiped the snot and tears onto the back of my hand and pressed on. I don't have time for this. I have to kill Potema.

Eventually I came to a room full of draugr. The stench was overwhelming. I gagged and heaved, and failed in stepping gingerly over them and ended up tripping over one with its hands rested in the funeral position. I grasp the gate bars and ehar Potema speak again. I shut my eyes. NO.

The draugr rise. I panic, casting a fire rune spell on the ground in the middle of the room, incinerating the first one that stepped on it. My panic subsides when I see that not all of the draugr have risen, only five, including the one I killed. I gripped Dawnbreaker and hoped for the effect I needed to get out of this situation.

I dug my sword into the first one and it crumpled. Nope, no explosion. Sithis. The other three rallied in a line in front of me and I was cornered. "IIZ!" I got two of them with my Ice Form shout, the other with only his arm frozen. sadly, not his sword arm. I had little room to use my sword, so I had to use my magicka. Firebolt after firebolt, he finally caught fire. Kept at bay by the sheer force of my magicka, yet ignoring the fire that would have made the strongest Orc scream from the searing pain, he finally caught fire and burned. His body caught the other body on fire and the gate opened. I ran. The other draugr did not follow.

I'm guessing because in the next room, there was Potema. She issued a challenge, and from the crypts on the walls in the large room came her minions. Dawnbreaker tasted undead flesh over and over, and when each draugr's dried up heart was pierced by it, a holy(unholy?) explosion reduced the draugr to ashes and caused any nearby to flee. I defeated the last draugr at the top of the steps by the large wooden door opposite to the one I entered in, and dodged Potema's spirit as it blasted the door open and posessed her skull. I rushed the foul spirit, plunging Dawnbreaker to the hilt in Potema's chest with a roar. And that was it. I collected the skull and left the undercroft back the way I came.

The priests and priestesses gasped and nodded to me as I passed. I went to the Hall of the Dead, earning myself a few stares out in the daylight. I handed Potema's skull to Syrr and said simply "Here." He went on about how great a service I had done, but I hardly listened. I walked to the Blue Palace, in my dirty armor, and told him the deed was done. He sung me praises and I took my compensation and left. I took the next carriage to Whiterun.

The whole trip I felt woozy. Any sleep I did get was plauged with nightmares, and my head hurt so much that sunlight made it worse, and no food would make the terrible cramps in my stomach ease. Onmund greeted me with excitement, then fear. He rushed me into bed where I slept for a day.

When I awoke, I felt better. Onmund gave me a small smile but I could tell her was still worried. "When you want to talk about it," he murmured, "you can tell me."

"It was Potema," I whispered. "And she had so many draugr, and so many vampires."

His eyes widened. "Vampires?! Did you take a potion?"

I felt the color drain from my face. Onmund's face surely matched mine. "Take my hand. We are going to the Temple of Kynereth."

I grasped his hand and feebly stood up. He led me to the door. when he opened it, the light felt like it literally hit me. I drew in my breath sharply.

"Why is it so bright? I can hardly stand it!"

At that point, I vomited on the floor.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 18 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Chapter 2: I don't Know What to Name This Chapter yet, But I Ate Pizza Today

The day I met him, at the college of Winterhold. I had barely made it in time for the introduction speech, and breathless, I walked inside. Onmund regarded me queitly for a moment, then returned his attention to Tolfdir. Tolfdir tried to emphasise that this was a safe environment to practice magic, and his speech fell on deaf ears. I kept quiet, not used to being around other magic users.

Then Tolfdir zeroed in on me. "What do you think?" he asked. "You've been fairly quiet."

"I, uh, I mean, I t-think..." The group of students stared at me. I could feel my tan cheeks get hot. J'zargo kept his wide cat-grin while Brelyna and Onmund glanced at each other.

"I mean, that is, uh, practical! Something we can use?"

The group voiced their agreement and Tolfdir all but rolled his eyes. "Alright." I was as eager as the rest of the students. Growing up in Skyrim, I hadn't had a great time when people learned of my ability with magicka, especially Conjuration and Destruction, so naturally the Ward spell was great.

Afterwards I went to my "room," if you could call it that. Rooms usually had doors. What if someone saw me changing? Especially...Onmund? Or a teacher? I resolved to change in the wardrobe. I hoped I could fit.

I set my pack on the bed and sat down next to it and sighed. I heard someone clear their throat and looked up and saw Onmund.

"Hi, uh, just wanted to introduce myself," he started. "I'm Onmund. And you are...?"

"Kayla." I stood up and we clasped wrists.

"Kayla? What an odd name for an-"

"An Atmer? I know. It's not my real name."

"Oh?" Onmund raised an eyebrow. I prepared for the inevitable question of how I got my name, which would lead to where I was from, where I grew up, a conversation I have had and have prepared many scripted responses for.

"Well that's interesting. What schools do you favor?"

Wow. That was unexpected. "Uhm, Destruction and Conjuration...you?"

"Destruction and, between you and me?" He leaned in a bit and whispered "I know the Invisibility spell."

"No way! I've been trying for ages to learn that spell!"

He laughed, and the edges of my vision started to take on a red tinge. I shook my head, clearing my vision. At that point I began to feel itchy, but Onmund didn't notice and continued to talk.

"Did you see that Ancano character? He actually told me I was 'dismissed.' Who talks like that?"

I started coughing violently, feeling moisture in my hand. When i drew my hand away, there was blood in my palm. "Oh gods," I moaned, shaking. "Onmund, quick, get a healer!"

Onmund simply laughed, but it sounded too wheezy to be made by a healthy person. he doubled over, and when he stood straight up again, his eyes were red, face gaunt, and skin paler than it had been before.

"My dear," he hissed, revealing fangs, "There aren't enough healers in Skyrim to heal what you have."

He pounced on me and sank his teeth into my neck.

I awoke to my own screaming and Onmund yelling in surprise at the chair next to my bed. I shot backwards into the headboard of the bed against the wall, kicking at Onmund and screaming like a madwoman. Danica Pure-Spring bolted from the other room and attempted to calm me down. When she put her hands on my shoulders I felt calmer. I burst into tears and clung to Danica.

"Vampire," I wailed into Danica's tunic, "I dreamt he was a vampire!"

"Who, my child?" cooed Danica, her strong, familiar accent soothing my ears. She stroked my(most likely) unkempt and unwashed hair as I sobbed.

"On-Onmund!" I gasped for breath. "He had red eyes, and teeth, and lunged at me! I can't...handle..." I continued to sob into Dania's shoulder, wetting it with my tears and snot. I coughed and pulled away, wiping my nose with the front of my sleeping gown that she and Onmund had most likely dressed me in. I caught Onmund's hurt expression behind Danica, and studied his face as I sniffed and regained my composure. No fangs, and the same green eyes that could demand the truth from me, but were rimmed with red from no sleep and worry.

"See?" Danica purred. "He's fine. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"Yes, I'm really thirsty." I shot a panicked look at Danica. "Am-"

"No, you're not. You're needing fluids. You've been out for days. All we could do was pour some water down your throat and hope it went down right." She grinned, and I saw the mischief in her eyes. The priestess handed me a tankard from the end table to my right.

"Drink up, and try to rest. Now that we know you are alright, I can go back to my temple duties. Onmund, I need to speak to for for a moment."

I settled back in the bed, and made a small show of losing my eyes and getting comfortable, but when the door was closed, I stepped lightly onto the floor, tiptoeing to the door.

I heard Onmund's voice. "How close were we?"

Danica replied "Very. I understand she makes her fortune roaming, but she needs to be more areful. She is more than capable of taking care of herself. I heard about The Dark Brotherhood, and know she is more organized. Where were her curing potions?"

"Things aren't so cut-and-dry when you're outside of these walls, Danica. You can only prepare so much."

"I suppose. Now, what about..." she hesitated. "The vampire thing?"

Onmund sighed. "It's difficult. She was raised as a Nord, has no idea what happened to her Altmer parents. Her adopted siblings and cousins would lock her out of the house at night while their parents were sleeping. She banged on the door once but they told her it was her own fault for not being as strong as them. She slept in the stables, until she learned how to pick locks.

Before that happened, she would hide herself in the hay in case any beasts came sniffing around. One night, one of the young women in the town brought her lover, a traveler, to the hayloft where they began to bed each other. When they reached climax, the woman tore the man apart with her bare hands and ate his flesh, drank his blood, only a few feet away from Kayla.

She left the bones where they lay and the townsfolk blamed it on bears. She told her adopted mother what had happened, and, being Nords, their first reaction was fear and anger. They tried to burn the woman out of her house, but she fled."

I stopped listening to the lie I had told Onmund. The truth was much, much worse than what I had said. I downed the water and fell into bed noisily and fell asleep.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Dec 18 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

This story is turning out quite interesting so far. You described Kayla's nightmare quite well. It's nice to see your finally writing a fanfic goodjob.gif

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 18 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

Excellent stuff!!...

Wonderful writing, really shows the terror that she felt at it all...

Looking forward to seeing more...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 18 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Ooh, we're getting a full story of this now! Awesome!

I'll admit I skipped the first chapter, what with having already read, but I loved the second one; the nightmare scene was one hell of a shock and had a lovely sense of terror to it, and I like the sheer suddeness of it when you've got the reader think this is just Kayla recalling her first meeting with Onmund. Very well done indeed.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 18 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO !!! Elisabeth !!! I'm so glad you are posting this in the forum!!!! And Welcome !!!!!

Very powerful beginning! I loved the Potema quest, that dungeon, and LOVED what you did with it in this chapter! This feels like a Kayla is a friend telling me about her day, I absolutely love that! I have no nits to mention at all, this was absolutely perfect !!!!

Chapter 2: You have a gift/ability to write totally natural dialogue - really immersive! The nightmare scene was very well done! I LOVE your writing, your pacing within your story is perfect, just enough detail to create visuals without dragging it down - you are ROCK'ing this story!!! Awesome Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 18 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

biggrin.gif Thanks, y'all! I'm not sure about updates, or how often they'll be(full time job and a two year old and all) but I do find time to write a paragraph each night. Last night I was by myself and just typed it all out.

Again, I appreciate the kind words. If you have any criticism, go ahead. especially if the chapters degrade in quality. For me this is fun, but I still like giving it my very best :]

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 18 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Read the first chapter, and it was entertaining. The end was great. I wondered if she was going to have trouble with the vampires disease, the comments during the carriage ride were a good touch. I'll come back later for chapter two. Also: good title!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 18 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

A warm welcome to the fanfic Arena here at chorrol! Your story has a delightfully quick pace and plenty of action. I really like that Kaylas mind wanders everywhere from Onmunds whiskers to why Skyrim doesnt collapse from all the caves under it.

You did a wonderful job of introducing Kayla to us and gently slipping in numerous aspects of her background. See seems quite the fighter!

Great job in your second chapter with the opening dream! At first it seemed like a beautiful flashback of how Kayla met Onmund but it quickly turned into a nightmare. Then we learn even more of Kaylas heritage and troubled background but you leave plenty of mystery still to be revealed.

This story is off to a fabulous start! smile.gif

Since you asked for constructive criticism, let me offer some very minor typos and such that a touch more final editing can easily reduce -

>From chapter 1:
'If i can smell them, they're too close.'
You want I vs i.

'As a precaution I loaded the strongest fireball spell I had to burnt the corpse of the...corpse.'
I suggest burn vs burnt.

'I grasp the gate bars and ehar Potema speak again.'
Hear, not ehar of course.

'I got two of them with my Ice Form shout, the other with only his arm frozen. sadly, not his sword arm.'
The period after frozen doesnt work when followed by an uncapitalized sadly. Id either capitalize sadly to indicate a new sentence or better yet (because the last clause is not really a complete sentence), simply use a hyphen instead of period.

'Any sleep I did get was plauged with nightmares,'
Plagued vs plauged.

'Onmund gave me a small smile but I could tell her was still worried.'
I think Onmunds a he vs her? tongue.gif

"Take my hand. We are going to the Temple of Kynereth."
Kynareth vs Kynereth.

>And from chapter 2:
'I understand she makes her fortune roaming, but she needs to be more areful.'
Careful vs areful.

This post has been edited by Acadian: Dec 18 2012, 10:55 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 19 2012, 06:24 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

You got everything I had seen, hahaha! I often re-read my chapters to refresh myself and caught those same mistakes. Usually when I am editing I am alone and catch everything, but once in a while I'll catch myself using incorrect grammar and past-tense when it should be present, and so on and so forth. I have no idea why I do that. I think my brain gets ahead of my fingers.

Anyways, thanks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 19 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #12

Paladin
Group Icon

You're most welcome. You know that you can edit things after you post, right? Button's in the lower right corner of your post. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 19 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

Yep, sure do :]

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 19 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 2
I loved her nervousness about being around other magic users. Jzargo seems to be always grinning about something. Your spin on Tolfdir was nice too; hes very much the kindly old man in the game.

What is with the lack of doors? One of these days Im making a mod that adds doors to all the inns and the Winterhold College.

Didnt see that coming! Loved how naturally you turned that into a nightmare. I thought it was a flashback.

I wonder what really happened in the hayloft?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 19 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Dec 19 2012, 12:17 PM) *

Chapter 2

Only Kayla knows. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 20 2012, 01:46 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Dec 19 2012, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(King Coin @ Dec 19 2012, 12:17 PM) *

Chapter 2

Only Kayla knows. tongue.gif

GAAAAH! What she told Onmund was bad enough, URK! I get the worst feeling that Kayla is in a dangerous place !!!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Dec 21 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Busy busy me! I combined two chapters for this one. Not the best in the world, but it will keep my fingers warmed up for when I can make things exciting again.

CHAPTER THREE: Getting Back into the Swing of Things

Recovery took about four days. The disease had all but ravaged my body to the point of dehydration. Had I not gotten home when I did, Danica said I wouldn't have made it. I would have came back a vampire, if I came back at all.

Onmund was careful with me, even after I insisted I wasn't afraid of him. Sitting next to each other by the cooking fire, my head on his shoulder, he told me that seeing me afraid of him was the most hurt he had ever been.

"I don't ever want to see that look in anyone's eyes again," he murmured. "Especially yours." He kissed my now clean head and rest his head on the top of mine. I said nothing. I had seen that look on many peoples' faces. Victims of crimes and criminals I came to punish. I had seen it on a few vampire faces. That moment before I separated their head from their body and they knew that they really weren't immortal, and they could be killed.

"A septim for your thoughts?"

I smile tugged at one corner of my mouth. "Just thinking about some things." I changed the subject. "Remember when we first met?"

"Was this before or after I drank your blood?"

I laughed. "Definitely before. When Tolfdir asked me what I wanted to learn."

"I do." He lifted his head from mine and we turned towards each other. The firelight danced in the reflection in his eyes as they looked into mine.

"I said 'Let's learn something practical."

"No, you said, "I, uhm, erm, uhhh, we, I mean, ehh-" I smacked at his arm and he laughed hard.

"It wasn't THAT bad!"

"It was pretty bad, dear. We stood there for about twenty minutes. J'zargo and I took bets on what your answer would be. Speaking of, I owe him ten septims..."

I smacked his arm again and he chuckled. "Well," I said, letting out a sigh, "I'll admit peer pressure got to me and I said what I knew everyone wanted me to say. I wanted to tell him 'I would really like to not be blown up, please.'"

"You should have said that."

"Please, had I said that, would you have came up and introduced yourself?"

"Probably not, not until I caught you changing in your space." He waggled his eyebrows. I covered my mouth to stifled a laugh, but snorted instead. He jumped up and mimed out the scene. He walked a few steps, then stopped like something caught his eye, studied it for a second, then a huge grin broke out on his face.
"Yep, time to go introduce myself to the hot naked elven babe!"

I was howling with laughter, and Onmund doubled over in laughter at his own joke. I fell out of my chair, which made both Onmund and I laugh even harder until we were both lying on the cold floor of our house.
Wheezing, I managed to choke out "I love you!" He nodded during his fit of laughter and tried to choke out an "I love you too," but laughed harder at the garbled sounds he was making, which made ME laughed harder. We laid there, laughing until we forgot what we were laughing about.

Later that night, with me lying on Onmund's chest after making careful love(I was still a little weak, but almost myself) I thought about how much I missed this. The house, the smell of Onmund's cooking, the town. Living in society. I wanted this for the rest of my life.

I turned on my side and Onmund got comfortable. He was already asleep, but I had so many thoughts racing through my head. I needed to find a lead on my next task, and avoid anything with caves or barrows for a while. Take only a carriage ot the major holds, then strike out after sunrise to my destination. Keep time, never go out at night. Keep enough potions to last me at least a week and ration them. Buy them whenever in a town or city. Maybe have someone come with me?

I mulled over this last thought. It would have to be someone I trust, someone whose back I could watch, and have them do the same.

Onmund snored lightly. Not him. Definitely not. He's safe in Whiterun, much safer than in Markarth with the Forsworn, or in Windhelm with The Butcher, or Riften with the Thieves Guild. With the current political crisis, Solitude is out of the question. Dawnstar is too isolated from my travels, and doesn't have a temple for healing. Winterhold looks like it's about to fall the rest of the way into the sea. But with the pressure Elisef and Ulfric are putting on Balgruuf to join their side, well...Maybe nowhere was safe. Especially not with the dragons. If I built a house and a dragon showed up while I wasn't around...

I bit my lower lip and my heart sank at the realization. There is an extreme possibility that Onmund could die, even with my very best efforts at keeping him safe. Ulfric could take the city by surprise and Onmund would fight to protect his home, could fall...a dragon...disease...oh gods...

I buried my face in the bear pelt we used as covers and wept.

- - - - - - - - - - -

"Well this was a TERRIBLE idea!" I scolded myself as I dodged the hagraven's firebolts. It (her?) snarled and I could see the drool dripping down its chin. I hid behind a rock near the camp that the hags had made. Why anyone would want to worship a disgusting creature like this was a mystery to me.

I clutched Dawkbreaker to my chest as another firebolt whizzed by the rock. "Here, kitty kitty kitty!" The nasty hagraven called to me.

"What??" I called over my shoulder. "I'm not a Khajiit!"

There was half a moment of silence before the hagraven snarled and screeched "I don't even care!" and hurled another molten fireball at my head as I peeked to too if she was still there. I steeled my nerves and threw up a ward with every firebolt she threw.

An enraged howl escaped from her lips as I worked my way closer, dodging fireballs as my magicka recharged and deflecting the rest with her wards. She gave up and tried another tactic; she lunged, claws first, at my face.

I ducked beneath her grasp, twisted around and kicked her gnarled and twisted body to the ground. She rolled over and before she could fry me with another firebolt, I planted Dawnbreaker firmly where her(it??) heart should be. One gurgled gasp later and the hagraven was dead.

I wiped the blood splatter from my face with the shoulder of my cuirass and looted the body. I grabbed Nettlebane and made the trek to Riverwood for the night.

I made it a bit before dusk, while the sun's fingers still raked the sky. Tomorrow I would bring Nettlebane to Danica. I owed her a favor for saving my life.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Uhm...ew."

I blinked at Danica. "What?" I asked.

"I'm glad you made it back and everything, but I really don't want to touch that."

I glanced at the gnarly-looking blade in my hand, and held it out to her again. She sniffed and stepped back.
"Why not?" I asked, a grin forming on my face.

"Kayla, please, I find it repulsive."

"Oh yeah? CATCH!" I pretended to toss her the blade and she yelped and sprinted to the side of the temple.
"STOP DOING THAT! I'm serious!"

I laughed, and the sickly farmers opened their eyes to look at what was going on. Danica smoothed out her robe as I put the small blade back in my pack.

"Just for that, YOU get to go get the sap, and I won't have to hire a Companion to do it for me. You need the exercise anyways."

I grinned. "That's alright, I'll just head to the Sanctuary bright and early tomorrow morning." Danica nodded in approval. "Be sure to pack plenty of provisions," she lectured. "I don't want to have to back in here except to give me the sap." I nodded and turned to walk out the door. A man stopped me before I got to the door.
"I couldn't help but overhearing..." I raised an eyebrow at this but said nothing. "But you're going to the Eldergleam sanctuary tomorrow?"

"Yes,," I answered, getting an uneasy feeling. "You want a souvenir?"

He laughed nervously. "No, nothing like that," he scratched the side of his neck absentmindedly. "I was wondering if I could come along?"

I considered this for a second. "Please," he begged. "It's been my dream to go there. I may never get this chance again!"

I looked at him for a moment before answering. "Alright, but pack your OWN provisions, and if you have a horse, have him saddled and ready at the stables by the time the sun is up."

"And if I don't?"

"Then...you get left behind...?"

"No, what if I don't have a horse?"

"Oh! Just meet me by the stables then."

This was going to be fun?

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Dec 21 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

" Well this was a terrible idea!"

I've lost count of how many times I've said that myself

"I clutched Dawkbreaker to my chest as another firebolt whizzed by the rock. "Here, kitty kitty kitty!" The nasty hagraven called to me.

There was half a moment of silence before the hagraven snarled and screeched "I don't even care!" and hurled another molten fireball at my head as I peeked to too if she was still there. I steeled my nerves and threw up a ward with every firebolt she threw.
"

ROFL rollinglaugh.gif I couldn't stop laughing at this part! It definitely made my day. (or should I say early morning)

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 21 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

A fun scene with Onmund, and balanced by the entertaining fight with that hagraven. I wonder who the stranger is that wants to go to the sanctuary - and if hes related to Kaylas wish for a possible companion to adventure with. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 22 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

This chapter was fun! Getting to know the two of them better with some goofing around and then through her worries. Definitely dont trust anyone that knows the invisibility spell! laugh.gif

"Here, kitty kitty kitty!" The nasty hagraven called to me.

laugh.gif

Bringing Nettlebane to Danica was funny too. Love the goofy attitude Kayla has.

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:57 PM