5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nemesis
Jacki Dice
post Dec 18 2011, 04:30 AM
Post #21

Knower
Group Icon

McBadgere~ biggrin.gif Why thank you! I don't think I've ever caused a misting of the eyes before!

mALX~ Thanks mALX ♥ Though its not as romancy as my other fic, it does get rather emotional, especially as details about Clarissa come out.

SubRosa~ Lilitu must have stopped by and planted it while you slept tongue.gif And nothing gets past you! Rhianna is a pirate, though she prefers the term "Sea faring adventurer."

Colonel Mustard~ Aww... -rubs back of head- With Tara, I think I have the most fun. She's not evil, but she's not doing good either. Her flaws are easy to present that way and I think that makes her just a bit more believable than some characters I've done.

Grits~ Oh yes. Even I, at the ripe age of 22 ( tongue.gif ) have been "ma'am-ed." I was caught way off guard by that!

~~~~~♦~~~~~

Chapter Three: Graduation Day, Part Two

Traven felt a sense of pride as he watched Kalila clutch her diploma to her chest. She kept looking around the campus, as if she didn’t believe it was real. Tara stood with her arm wrapped proudly around Kalila’s shoulders. Even as others approached the pair, students to bid farewell to Kalila and mages to greet Tara, the sisters stayed planted together. Though during the speech Tara seemed a little uneasy, now she was back to her usual self, poised and smiling brightly. Her brown eyes glittered every time she laughed, slightly throwing her head back, her hand gracefully rising under her chin. Meanwhile, Kalila looked like she would rather be anywhere else. At least until her father arrived.

The few traits that Kalila didn’t share with Tara were plainly inherited from Aidan Blackstone. His strong jaw, his deep olive complexion, the high cheekbones. His black hair was long enough to reach his shoulders and streaks of silver had started to invade, along with faint crow’s feet. The most noticeable thing about him was his clear gray eyes. Eyes exactly like Clarissa’s. Other than those eyes, he blended in perfectly with the rest of the crowd. His outfit looked like it had been carefully crafted to be just ordinary enough.

Kalila tore away from Tara momentarily to embrace Aidan tightly. Traven took the moment to approach Tara, as she was no longer hovering over her sister.

“Touching speech,” he said.

“Was it?” She asked, biting her lip slightly. “Kalila thought it was too flowery,” she said with a laugh.

“Well, it’s a flowery occasion!” Traven smiled. “Besides, Kalila’s not really one for sentiment.”

Tara glanced over to Kalila. She was holding a pendant in her hands, as Aidan draped the chain over her neck. Tara’s eyes lowered momentarily, almost disappointedly. Traven patted her shoulder. He knew it had to be a little hard for Tara to witness the father and daughter bond, as she had never known her own father. He was either dead, a one night stand, or both. Rhianna had always been tight lipped about it.

Tara looked back at Traven. “It’s fine, really.” She must have seen the pitiful look in his eyes. His cheeks burned a little. “Aidan may not be my real father, but he never treated me any different. He was always good to me.”

“There she is,” Aidan said, almost on cue. “One of the Guild’s finest!” He gave Tara a warm hug. Though it was completely paternal, nothing funny about it, Traven couldn’t help a flash of jealousy. When Aidan looked at him, he feigned a smile.

“And the man behind it all,” Aidan said, holding his hand out.

Traven shook it, overwhelmed with the scent of fresh linens. By the Nine, he always smelled like that. The man was just a little too clean. “Oh, I can’t take credit for the sheer talent these fine women have been blessed with. I can only help guide them in its use.”

Traven noticed Tara’s eyes flinch slightly.

“Well, it’s been a pleasure, Arch-mage,” Aidan said. “You’ve proven yourself an excellent teacher to my daughters.”

Traven glanced at Kalila’s new necklace. “What’s that you got there?”

Kalila lifted it so he and Tara could see it better. It was a silver pentagram with rubies at each tip, with a smaller pentagram in the center.

Kalila’s necklace

“It was my mother’s,” Aidan explained, his arm firmly planted on Kalila’s shoulder. “She always said it was special, so now I’m passing it down.”

Kalila pursed her lips together, glancing at Tara for a moment. Tara smiled. “It looks beautiful on you.”

The church bells tolled in the distance. “Well,” Tara said. “We’d best get home if we’re going to make it by nightfall.”

“Leaving so soon?” Traven said quickly. “Oh, but we’ve barely caught up. I’ll tell you what, let’s have lunch Morndas!”

Tara took a step back, starting to shake her head. “No, no, I insist!” He said. “My treat! After all, you’ve yet to tell me about this big project you’ve got going on at home!”

“Alright, sounds nice,” she said. Traven sensed some hesitation, though he was willing to chalk it up to it being a busy day. “Aidan, a pleasure as always. Kalila, I’ll be in touch of course. I do love to visit each guildhall every so often.”

Kalila nodded.

With that, Traven turned and headed to his chambers, grinning all the way.

Kalila was obviously disappointed that her father had taken his leave just after Traven did. Tara loved Aidan dearly, but he had always been so busy. Too busy for Kalila and Clarissa. His business in the Imperial City, whatever it was, kept him away for days, sometimes weeks at a time. He stayed out longer after Clarissa died. Though he claimed it was simply because Kalila had been old enough to not need him as much, Tara couldn’t help wondering if being at their home hurt too much.

“Hey, chin up,” Tara said, gently stroking Kalila’s hair as their carriage crossed the bridge to Weye. She stared at Kalila, remembering her first day at the University.

Tara was nearly done with her term. Just three more years and she would be out of there, ready to prove herself in the world of the Mages Guild. Kalila was brimming with a quiet excitement. She didn’t speak, but she chewed her nails and thumbs in anticipation. Her hair had been short, barely a bob. Kalila liked it that way. It kept it from getting in the way of fireballs.

Clarissa sat on Rhianna’s lap. Clarissa had only been there a couple of times, but she had been too young to clearly remember it. This time, she stared in awe of Lake Rumare and the beautiful white structures. The entire weekend she sat listening to Tara’s stories about the University and all the things she had learned with wide eyed excitement. “Mummy, when’s my turn?” She asked, bouncing up and down, clapping her hands. “I wanna be like Kalila and shoot fire, and breathe under water like Tara and enchant my earrings to give me super hearing.”

“You’ve got a few more years, honey.” Rhianna ran her fingers through Clarissa’s hair and adjusted the pink flower clip she always wore. “I can teach you a few of those things at home though.”

Clarissa looked at the floor sullenly. “But I wanna go with Kalila and Tara.”

Rhianna feigned hurt feelings. “And leave your mummy all alone?” She sniffled loudly and started to pout before pretending to sob in her hands.

Clarissa giggled, pulling Rhianna’s hands from her face. “You’re not alone, you have daddy!”

Rhianna let out a dry chuckle. “No thanks, I’d rather be alone.”

Kalila’s excitement dulled and Tara shot Rhianna a look. “Not now,” it plainly said.

Rhianna rolled her eyes and looked out the window. “Amazing,” she said after a while. “My three girls, going to the University. You’re all so smart. Maybe if you put your heads together, you can find out whatever happened to Corvus Umbranox!”

Tara and Kalila laughed, though the joke went over Clarissa’s head.

Clarissa wobbled over to Kalila and curled up in her lap. “Please can I go with you? Please?”

Kalila hugged her close. “One day, I promise.”

Kalila was just a girl then, barely in her teens. Now she sat before Tara a young woman. By the Nine, where did the time go? Even while at the university together, Kalila blossomed into her own person and rarely crossed Tara’s path. It only got worse after Clarissa died. Some people grieve by isolating themselves. As hard as it was for Tara to accept, it was Kalila’s way.

She turned her attention to Kalila’s hair, tied back as usual in a Breton braid. She stopped cutting it long ago and now it reached her hips. “Have you thought about cutting your hair?”

Kalila stared out the window, precariously seated on her trunk. It was overly stuffed and was threatening to burst at a moment’s notice. She only shrugged.

“Hmm..” Tara said, looking at the floor. She started wringing her hands. How horrible was it that she couldn’t even make a good conversation with her own sister? Gods, they were almost like strangers now! She bit her lip, thinking about Kalila leaving on Morndas. That only gave her two days with her until she left for Anvil, possibly forever.

Worse there was the matter of the haunting in the basement… Tara couldn’t imagine what would happen if Kalila found out. Tara balled her hands into fists. They were going to bond, dammit. And do it away from the house!

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:18 AM

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 18 2011, 04:37 AM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

*Applauds*...

Brilliant...

Traven is making my skin crawl... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one... biggrin.gif ...

+Quote Post
RainbowVeins
post Dec 18 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #23

Retainer

You're not the only 22-year-old one who's ever been "ma'am-ed!" laugh.gif
Great stuff here; I particularly enjoy your seamless transitions between different characters' points of view. It helps us get a better feel for their thought processes which is key in their development. Keep it comin'! smile.gif

--------------------
This is Aurilyn.
IPB Image
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 18 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

The undercurrent has become even stronger now, and the death of Clarissa a sad mystery. I have to agree with McB, Traven was giving me the creeps in this chapter too!! Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 18 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

So Tara and Kalila have different fathers? That is an interesting twist. The plot thickens too. Aidan has business with the Emperor? Is he a Blade I wonder?

I love the double pentacle necklace. What a brilliant idea!

I love the ending. "They were going to bond, dammit. And do it away from the house!" It is good to see that Tara's priorities are not only on the dead members of her family, but the living ones as well. The part about away from the house was just hilarious!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Dec 26 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #26

Knower
Group Icon

McBadgere~ biggrin.gif If there's something I know, its how to pull off creepy!

RainbowVeins~ Thank you smile.gif I actually worry that I do it too much, but I'm glad it comes off smoothly

mALX~ Thanks smile.gif He's very different than your non-creepy Traven tongue.gif

SubRosa~ Yes, its Tara's yearning to bring everyone together that makes her do some of the things she does

~~~♥~~~
♥Merry Christmas!♥

~~~~~♦~~~~~

Chapter Four: The Invitation

But still I lie, those tears have dried, on the grave of my Clarissa!

-Cradle of Filth, Swansong for a Raven

The house was just as Kalila remembered it. The cottage sat on the path between Weye and Pell’s Gate. It was encircled by a wooden fence, with colorful flowers emerging from the lush grass. Bright welkynd stones sat in a pair of sconces by the front door. The forest draped beyond, adding a touch of shadow and mystery that had always fascinated Kalila. Lake Rumare sat in the distance, giving the home a scent of fresh water.

[url= http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/Jacki_Dice/map.jpg]Map[/url]

As soon as her trunk was on the ground it hit her. No more university. No more lectures, no more tests, no more aqua robes. It was all over. She had spent so many months preparing for it and it was gone in a flash. It was dizzying.

Tara seemed strange again. She smiled the whole way back, though her attempts at small talk were failing desperately. What was with her? Kalila wasn’t sure who Tara thought she was fooling, with her constant shifts in demeanor.

After the carriage started back up the path to the Imperial City, Tara was smiling that forced smile. “Here,” she said. With a flick of her wrist, a violet beam flew from her hand to Kalila’s trunk. Tara lifted it with ease. “Let’s get this back to your room and how about we go for a swim?”

Kalila raised her eyebrows. “A swim? Now?”

“Yeah,” Tara said. She balanced the trunk on her hip as she fished for her keys. “Come on,” she hissed, biting at her lip in frustration. “Oh, wait,” she said with a laugh. Another violet flash later, the door unlocked itself.

The inside was a little more cramped than Kalila remembered it. There was the couch and armchair by the fireplace. The banners with the Mages Guild symbol hung on either side of the mantel. Paintings of the sea and beaches decorated the walls. An alchemy station was tucked behind the couch, next to the bookshelf which was brimming with books on the local and rarest flora and instruction manuals for different types of summoning. A smaller bookcase sat next to it filled with fairy tales. Kalila had loved them as a child and eventually, when she became too old for such things, she passed them along to Clarissa. Tara didn’t have the heart to throw them out.

The kitchen was spotless as always, though Kalila noticed several boxes stashed under the table. The shelves were lined with bottles of powders and spices. Just outside the window sat a box where flowers and herbs grew. They were neatly labeled, so nothing would go wrong with potion making. An apple pie sat on the kitchen table. The golden crust was braided, just as Kalila had always liked it. Three places were set. Kalila felt a stabbing pain in her heart, reminding her of who wasn’t there but should have been.

“It was for Aidan,” Tara said. Kalila didn’t notice that her hand had flown up to her heart. Tara quickly took the extra plate away and put it in the cabinet. “I thought he would be joining us.”

Kalila just nodded, her hand wandered up to her necklace. Her eyebrows furrowed as her fingers traced the center star of the pentagram. It was hot, as if she had held it under a blanket. She lowered her hand slowly. Maybe that was a normal thing for jewelry. Maybe it was just reacting to her body heat. She was never big on jewelry so she didn’t know. She looked at Tara. Tara wore earrings and a few rings. She would know about those things, but it seemed a stupid thing to ask.

Instead, she turned her attention to the basement door, which had a bar over it. Kalila hadn’t even taken a step when Tara jumped over and stood in front of the door.

“Oh, you don’t want to go down there,” she said. “I’m working on something. Something dangerous.”

Kalila took a step forward. “What?” She reached for the door knob.

“Spider daedra,” Tara blurted.

Kalila’s stomach bubbled with disgust. She flicked her wrist, as if to rid it from the very essence of the daedra. “Disgusting.” She finally said. “What in oblivion for?”

“For knowledge.”

Kalila shook her head. She should have known. Tara was one of the few people she knew who wanted to learn not for anything useful, but for the sheer sake of knowing. Had she not been raised in a Nine fearing home, she would have likely been quite at home in the worship of Hermaeus Mora.

“Right,” Kalila said. She looked to where Tara had dropped her chest. “Well, I think I’ll go put my stuff away and call it a night.”

Tara tore herself from the basement door. “But I thought we were going swimming!”

Kalila shook her head. “It’s dark,” she said. “I don’t like having to dodge slaughterfish at night when I can barely see them.”

Tara laughed. “That’s why we cast a candle spell. You know how, don’t you?”

Kalila nodded.

“It’ll be fun,” Tara said. “Please?”

“How about in the morning?” Kalila offered. “It’s been a long day.”

Tara sighed. “Alright, tomorrow. And I’ll make stuffed Breton-style toast and berries for breakfast! Isn’t that your favorite?”

When I was five, Kalila thought. “Yeah, it is. Good night.” She picked up her chest and headed up the stairs.

“Good night, Kalila!” She said. Tara glanced at the basement door. She pressed her lips to the wood. “Good night, Clarissa,” she whispered.

Under the glow of moonlight, Kalila snuck out and sat at Clarissa’s grave.

It was set in the corner of the property, tucked away in the back by the fence. A stone statue of Mara marked the spot. Mara stood with a veil over her head, gazing gently down where Clarissa was. She held a flower in one hand. A lily. Clarissa’s favorite. A small bunch of peonies burst from the side where she was buried.

Shortly after her death, Kalila had gotten into the habit of sitting at the grave and speaking to Clarissa. Though Tara tried to discourage it, the habit persisted throughout the years.

“I graduated today,” Kalila said softly. Already her throat started to close up and she felt the burn of tears forming. She choked. “I’ll be leaving for Anvil in a few days. It’s not exactly what I had planned, but I suppose…” She sighed. “Nothing lives up to our plans, does it? They say I need more practice in restoration. I guess they’re right. That way if I ever come across…” She licked her lips.

If I ever come across someone hurting, I can help. I won’t be too late.

Tears fell silently.

“You should have been there,” she said. “That’s how it was supposed to be. You, me, and Tara.” She started sobbing. “It’s not fair.” She pounded her fist on the ground. “It’s just not fair! Why did it have to be you?” She buried her face in her arms. “Why?” She demanded. “Why, damn it?” She hit the ground once more and then stopped crying. She wiped her eyes with one hand and ran her fingers through the dirt with the other.

Why was the dirt so loose?

Tara woke slowly. Though she was tucked under several quilts, she felt a persistent chill. It was almost as if someone had left the window open during a snowfall.

“You sleep rather soundly for a murderer.” An icy, unfamiliar voice said. “That’s good. You’ll need a clear conscience for what I’m about to propose.” A man was standing at the foot of her bed, draped in a black cloak. His features were obscured by his hood.

Tara jumped up and reached for the dagger she kept between the bed and the nightstand. The man raised his hand and suddenly Tara was unable to move.

Dear gods, not again!

“Who are you?” She hissed. She looked toward the bedroom door. It was not torn open. Her window wasn’t broken. The only sounds were the two of them. “Where’s Kalila?” Tara clenched her teeth. “If you’ve harmed her—“

“Easy, easy dear child,” he said. He sat next to her, stroking her hair. His hands were like ice. Tara winced at his touch. “The girl remains in her bed, sleeping peacefully. I am not here to harm either of you. Rather, I’ve come to offer you an opportunity.”

“What do you want?”

“First, an introduction.” He stood up. “I am Lucien Lachance, Speaker for the Dark Brotherhood.”

“The…” Tara’s tongue suddenly felt like it was buried in sand. Dear gods, he’s come to kill me… Her stomach fluttered.

Lucien continued. “And you, you are a cold-blooded killer, capable of taking life without mercy or remorse.”

Then it dawned on her. The whispers of The Dark Brotherhood coming to recruit murderers was true! And the girl… somehow they knew about the girl in the Marketplace.

“The Night Mother has been watching, and she is most pleased. And so, here I am. I come to you with an offering. An opportunity... to join our rather unique family."

Tara couldn’t believe her ears. “I.. I’m not a murderer,” she said softly.

Lucien tilted his head back, in exaggerated surprise. “Oh?” Tara could see a smirk under his hood. “The Night Mother seems to think otherwise. Allow me to grant you a gift, in case you reconsider. It is a virgin blade, and thirsts for blood."

He set a dagger on her nightstand. It was made of ebony, with a beautiful intricate gold design on the handle and its sheath. Three prongs sprouted from the back of the handle. Tara could only imagine its purpose.

His gift

“Why are you giving me this?” She asked.

“On the Green Road to the north of Bravil lies the Inn of Ill Omen. There you will find a man named Rufio. Kill him, and your initiation into the Dark Brotherhood will be complete. Do this, and the next time you sleep in a location I deem secure, I will reveal myself once more, bearing the love of your new family."

With that he disappeared before her eyes. She was able to move again. She jumped out of her bed and snatched her own dagger, casting a detect life spell. The only things she sensed were Kalila, in her bed and the pacing of Clarissa in the basement. She noticed that her room was once again warm and cozy.

She got back under her quilts and stared at the dagger she was given. She knew that in a month’s time she would have to kill again. She hated herself for thinking it, but perhaps this Rufio could be of some assistance.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:19 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 26 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

*Runs around the room remonstrating with the furniture*...Dammit dammit dammit!!...How many times must I kill him before he stays dead!!????!?!??!?...

blink.gif ...

Sorry...

So, Lucien LePonce noticed then?... biggrin.gif ...

Exellent chapter...From all the "big sister" stuff, to the heartbreaking stuff by the grave...Brilliance...

Nice one!... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 26 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

Jacki, as grotesque as the subject matter is in this story - I have to say it is your best write ever, and that is saying a lot since your others were stuffed with brilliant characters.

This story is totally riveting and intrigueing (in spite of my stomach churning throughout, lol) - but seriously, it is a huge glimpse into how creative your imagination is. I have re-read it from the beginning again to put the characters in context and was floored by what you are doing with this story! Totally awesome write, absolutely huge!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 26 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

Tara's house sounds wonderful. Cozy, and an excellent reflection of the person living there. The fairy tale books were a nice touch, reminding us about the sister who is not longer there. At least not the way she used to be. wink.gif

Loved Tara's reaction to Kalila just looking at the basement door. Overract much! Still, she explained things away very nicely with the spider daedra. Now Kalila is not going to want to go down there, and will discount any strange sounds from the basement as well.

When I was five, Kalila thought.
Ouch! Isn't that always the case? Still, it is nice to see how hard Tara is trying to win Kalila over, and renew their relationship.

Uh oh...

Lucien LaCroix LaChance! I did not see that coming. But in retrospect, it seems quite obvious. Well done. I loved how you portrayed him. I also loved the way Tara is seriously considering his offer. After all, Clarissa is going to need fresh souls soon, isn't she? wink.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 26 2011, 11:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 26 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

blink.gif This grisly detail after the snug kitchen was especially chilling. Tara has the table neatly set and an ambulatory corpse in the basement. ohmy.gif

I loved the scene with LL. So many killers would be tempted by the new loving family, but Tara loves her family so much she needs to kill. Like mALX said, riveting!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 28 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

Got to say, juxtaposition of the normal and the disturbing in this piece is something that you're currently doing, really, really well. The main highlight of the last two chapters was with the kitchen scene, when you had the rather homely atmosphere clashing with the horror lurking in the basement, but even stuff like the graduation scene being marred by Traven's rather creepy tendencies was another good example. Even the jump of POV between Tara and Kalila was a nice touch, with Tara trying to make Kalila think everything is normal and Kalila immediately spotting that something was amiss.

And now Kalila finds the grave dirt is loose. Oh dear...
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Dec 30 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #32

Knower
Group Icon

McBadgere~ Thank you smile.gif

mALX~ Aww thank you! smile.gif Hopefully this gets better and better as I continue ♥

SubRosa~ She's good at explaining away, but can she keep up with all the lies?

Grits~ It's almost like the Stepford wives. So nice and pretty outside but once you get to the bottom of it, not so much....

Colonel Mustard~ Lol! Oh what have I done to poor Arch Mage Traven? And Tara really shouldn't underestimate Kalila's ability to pick things up!

~~~~~♦~~~~~

Chapter Four: Breakfast

Kalila awoke to clattering in the kitchen. Warm golden rays peeked through the floral curtains. Kalila’s eyes glided over the room. Tara had left it untouched while she was away. A painting of a pirate ship was to her immediate left, over the bed. A desk was across the room, piled high with spell books. A few homemade scrolls were wrapped in a pile. Her bookshelf by the door had few books, as most had gone to the University with her. Instead it held mostly small mementos from her childhood. A stuffed bear ratted and torn from years of being carried all over, a porcelain doll dressed in a bold red dress and a flower in her hair, a little jewelry box with the name of her mother’s ship, Sedna’s Mercy engraved in fancy lettering across the front. Another box stored all the letters she had received from both of her parents as they traveled all over Tamriel. Her chest was left unpacked in the corner.

She had a hard time sleeping, though her own bed was a lot warmer and softer than the one at the university. First there was the unexplainable chill in the middle of the night that neither more blankets nor a small fire fueled by old school notes in an urn could soothe. Then there was the shuffling coming from the basement. Dear gods, that awful shuffling. Kalila could just imagine the hordes of spider daedra, their awful legs scuttling about, their wide mouths set in an eternal scream and those eyes. They all had eyes that were like looking into a pit of darkness so cold it could burn. It was the one daedra that Kalila simply couldn’t tolerate.

She stared up at the ceiling pondering the third thing that kept her from a restful sleep: the loose dirt on Clarissa’s grave. She had heard plenty of tales of grave robbing vampires looking to add more to their thrall. As much as she tried, she couldn’t wipe the image from her mind. No doubt Tara had been too busy with her work to notice.

As the scent of bacon arose to her bedroom, Kalila decided to drag herself out from under the thick quilts and into the bath before heading down to breakfast.

Tara hummed happily as she laid a plate of bacon on the table. It was a breakfast fit for a queen: bacon, scrambled eggs, bagels, sausage links, pancakes, stuffed Breton toast, Kalila’s favorite, fresh orange juice and milk. She clasped her hands together and grinned. This was going to be the start of a perfect day.

Kalila came down the stairs, her hair dripping wet and not yet braided. Tara gasped. There was just so much of it! “Good morning!” Tara chirped. She pulled out one of the chairs and beckoned for Kalila to sit down. She could tell Kalila was surprised by the amount of food set before them.

“So,” Tara said, piling food onto Kalila’s plate. “I was thinking that today we’d go for a swim and then we’ll visit the Marketplace and go shopping!”

“Alright,” Kalila said with a shrug. “For what?”

Tara set Kalila’s plate down and started on her own. “Just shopping.”

Kalila just blinked and turned her attention to her plate, piling eggs onto her bagel and topping it with her sausage.

“What’s wrong?” Tara asked. “Don’t you like shopping?”

Kalila shrugged. After swallowing her first bite, she said, “It’s alright.”

Tara raised her eyebrows. “Alright? Oh, Kalila, what sort of woman doesn’t like to go shopping?”

“I never said I don’t like it, it’s just…” She paused. There was a soft thumping in the basement. Kalila put her bagel down, her lips quivering in disgust.

Tara bit down of her own lip, her eyes trailing to the floor.

“Can’t you send those things back to where they came from? And leave them there?”

Tara let out a bleat like laugh. “Too much has been put into… what I’m doing.”

“It’s disgusting!”

Tara shut her eyes tightly. If only she knew what she was really talking about. “Just ignore it.”

The thumping continued, getting louder each time. “Here,” Tara said. “You eat up and I’ll go see what’s going on.”

She took a gulp of orange juice, wishing it were laced with vodka, and rushed down to the basement, locking it behind her.

It took her a second for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. “Clarissa,” she whispered. “Sweetheart, what are you doing?”

She stumbled for a moment on a doll. She picked it up and turned her attention to Clarissa, who was sprawled out on the floor. Tara gasped in horror. Somehow, Clarissa had broken her leg off and was hitting the floor with it. Tara snatched it away.

“No! You don’t hit the floor…with…” She glanced at it. “Your severed limb.” She sighed and took a seat on the floor. With a flick of her wrist a blooming light rose from her fingertips and hovered above her. She took a look at the leg, seemingly amputated at the knee. Ordinarily it could be salvaged with a few potions and an agonizing night of the bones reattaching themselves. Alas, Clarissa was not quite ordinary. Not yet anyway. Her leg would need to be bound together for the time being, at least until she developed flesh.

“Damn,” she muttered. If she were alone, it would be a simple matter of running upstairs and grabbing some leather straps. However, with Kalila home there was the risk of being seen. After all, as repulsed as the thought of the spider daedra was to her, there was always that morbid curiosity that would beckon her to look.

She looked at her clothes. Granted she had plenty of aprons to spare, but the fiber wouldn’t be strong enough to hold bone together if Clarissa continued to walk around. There was the option of attaching her to the wall, preventing any movement, but it didn’t seem right. Clarissa shouldn’t be bound like a dangerous prisoner.

“Stay right here,” she said to Clarissa. “Kalila!”

“I am not going down there!”

“I just need you to bring me some leather straps! I should have some balled up in the center drawer in the kitchen. I’ll stick my hand out and you can just give them to me.”

There was a pause then the scraping of the chair being backed up and a rustling. Tara sighed in relief. She headed up the steps and opened the door so only her arm would fit through. Within moments a wad of leather was plopped in her hand. “Thank you!”

She shut the door quickly and locked it.

“Now,” Tara said to Clarissa. “I’m going to reattach this, so don’t rip it out or anything.” She tied the tibia and fibula together at the top and looped the strap behind her knee cap and around the bottom of her femur. She tied a few around each strap just to be safe. She then helped Clarissa to her feet and watched her walk for a little bit. She seemed to have a little trouble with her strapped leg, but Tara knew she would have to fix it later.

“Now, I need you to be a little quieter, alright? I’ll be back when I can. I love you.”

When she came back out of the basement, she was startled to see Kalila standing right in front of her. “I love you?” She asked.

“I love you too,” Tara said with a laugh as she headed back to the table.

“No, I heard you say that to one of the spider daedra.”

Tara shrugged. “I love all my subjects,” she said, taking her seat.

Kalila just shook her head. She sat back down and they ate in silence for a moment. Damn, damn, damn!” Tara thought. This is not how it’s supposed to be!

“What was the leather for?”

Tara shot up, her eyebrows raised. “Oh, the leather? One of the spiders broke her leg.”

Kalila set her bagel back down and folded her hands under her chin. “What, a daedra broke its leg and you use leather to fix it?”

“That’s right.”

Kalila shook her head. “That doesn’t make any sense! First of all, they're daedra! They don’t break legs!”

“These ones do. There aren’t ordinary spider daedra--"

“And you’re covered in filth!”

Tara looked down at herself. “Oh my,” she said. Kalila was right. Her clothes were covered in dirt and dust…and possibly a few flakes of what little remained of Clarissa’s skin. “I had no idea the basement was that dirty!”

Kalila folded her arms. Tara wanted to squirm under the hard stare, but she continued picking at her plate.

“Speaking of dirt,” Kalila said after awhile. “The dirt on Clarissa’s grave is loose.”

Tara choked. “What?”

Kalila nodded. “Has anyone been around here?”

Tara waved her hand. “Oh, that was my doing.”

Kalila’s brows furrowed. “Why?”

“I wanted to see if flowers would grow. You know how much she loved them. I had to loosen the dirt to plant the seeds, but they wouldn’t take. It might just be the wrong season for them.”

Kalila’s stare softened and she resumed her breakfast in silence.

Tara sighed. Already it was quite a start to her “perfect day.”

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 31 2011, 12:25 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 30 2011, 06:35 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

First there was the unexplainable chill in the middle of the night that neither more blankets nor a small fire fueled by old school notes in an urn could soothe. Then there was the shuffling coming from the basement. Dear gods, that awful shuffling. Kalila could just imagine the hordes of spider daedra, their awful legs scuttling about, their wide mouths set in an eternal scream and those eyes. They all had eyes that were like looking into a pit of darkness so cold it could burn. It was the one daedra that Kalila simply couldnt tolerate.

Chilling paragraph, and another glimpse into Tara as she had to know those Spider Daedra were Kalila's greatest fear.

Jacki, reading this story is like watching a very well done horror movie - that is how well you have written this. Awesome, Riveting Write !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 30 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

Dear gods, that awful shuffling. Kalila could just imagine the hordes of spider daedra, their awful legs scuttling about, their wide mouths set in an eternal scream and those eyes. They all had eyes that were like looking into a pit of darkness so cold it could burn. It was the one daedra that Kalila simply couldnt tolerate.

Good grief! Now Im afraid of them!!

She took a gulp of orange juice, wishing it were laced with vodka, and rushed down to the basement, locking it behind her.

Yep, thats how fast those perfect days can turn around. Theres so much about Tara that is easy to relate to. Until you get down to the basement. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 30 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

It sounds like it was not a very good night for Kalila. Her musings on the spider daedra in the basement were wonderful, in an unpleasant kind of way of course. wink.gif The part about the mouths open in eternal screams, and eyes that were cold pits of darkness, were excellent touches. I suspect that Tara knows her revulsion to spider daedra, and that is why she chose them for her cover story.

I loved Clarissa in the basement, playing with her severed leg! biggrin.gif Who ever thought keeping a zombie would be so much trouble! And all the time Tara had Kalila right up the stairs. Yikes! That was a close one.

*Phew* she dodged two more arrows with the "I love you," remark, and the loose dirt on Clarissa's grave. Tara is really taking chances with Kalila being there. But it makes for lots of fun reading! The entire thing is almost comical, when you look at it a certain way. Sort of like Weekend at Bernies.

nits:
Somehow, Clarissa had broken her leg and was hitting the floor with it.
I think you might want to say broken her leg off. At first I was a little confused, because I thought it was just broken, not dismembered.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 30 2011, 07:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 31 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

I've got to say, the sense of creeping dread that this is all going to come crashing down absolutely spectacularly that you've managed to imbue into this chapter here is awe-inspiring (the sense of dread, I mean. Chapter itself isn't awe-inspiring, and I mean that in a good way; it shouldn't be, it's supposed to be tense).

Also, think I worded the Traven thing badly; I meant more Tara perceiving him as creepy than he himself actually being creepy.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 31 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

Traven is creepy...*Shudders*... blink.gif ...

Aaamywho...Excellent chapter...

Like has been said, the feeling of everything about to be discovered is excellently done...I know it's probably going to be a bit longer before Clarissa's found, but blimey there's been some close calls already... biggrin.gif ...

Nice one!!... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Taillus
post Jan 2 2012, 05:03 AM
Post #38

Knower
Group Icon

This story has become one of my early favorites on the Forums. Well done!

--------------------
Worry not, young Breton. This will be over very quickly but I wish I could say that it would be painless. You will suffer greatly before you join the countless other souls that fuel my power. - Taillus
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Mar 13 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #39

Knower
Group Icon

mALX~ Oh thanks so much! I'm glad to know that the countless horror movie/book marathons have paid off tongue.gif

Grits~ Bleh! The spider daedra are pretty horrible. I think if I were Kalila, even with all the great destructive powers, a spider daedra would turn me into a baby hiding in the closet!

SubRosa~ biggrin.gif That's pretty much what I was going for with that chapter and a few more to come

Colonel Mustard~ Ahhh... well, he has gotten creepy and well.... it's only just begun as far as Traven goes

McBadgere~ Isn't that always how it goes whenever you try and hide something big, it's just one teensy step away from getting found out?

Tallius~ Awesome! I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in ages. It's been a pretty busy couple months

~~~~~♦~~~~~

Tara

Kalila

Clarissa, presently

Chapter Five: Decisions

Tara tried not to cry as the carriage for Kalila drew up the path Sundas night. She pressed her lips together, trying to hold back as much as she could.

She couldnt tell how Kalila was feeling. She sat on her trunk, playing with the end of her braid.

Do you have everything? Tara asked, forcing her voice to keep from cracking. She cleared her throat. All your new clothes and books and stuff?

Kalila nodded.

As the galloping drew closer, Kalila stood up and opened the door. The horseman came in and took Kalilas trunk. Tara walked slowly with Kalila. Several other people were in the carriage. Some must have known Kalila, because they waved happily.

Well, I guess this is it, Tara said, looking at the ground. Youll be great.

Kalila nodded.

Just be careful. And please write to me if you need anything. Or if you dont need anything. Just She sighed. Ill come visit you when I can, I promise.

Kalila smiled at Tara and gave her a tight hug. Tara gasped for a moment, before burying her face in Kalilas braid. Im going to miss you so much, she said.

Ill miss you too, Kalila said softly. Once Im better at healing, Ill be back in the Imperial City for battlemage training. I dont think itll take too long.

Kalila released Tara, holding her hand for a moment before stepping into the carriage. Tara stood and watched it set off until she could no longer see it.

Once Kalila was out of sight, she allowed the flood to come. She ran to the couch, holding one of the cushions tightly as she cried. She wasnt even sure why she was reacting so emotionally. She knew it was coming and it wasnt as if Kalila was off to the Summerset Isles or Morrowind. It was just to Anvil.

She sniffed hard, trying to regain composure. She wiped her tears away and stared blankly out the window. No reason to cry, she said to herself. Still, she felt a dull pain in her chest. Her eyes werent producing any tears, but she felt like she might start bawling in a moment.

She stood up and looked around the house. There was nothing to clean. She frowned. She remembered years ago, whenever there was a mess she was more than happy to clean it. It gave her time to stop working, but keep thinking.

Tara went upstairs and sat on her bed, holding her head in her hands. She sighed deeply, her eyes trailing to the blade left on her nightstand by that Dark Brotherhood assassin. Her first instinct was disgust. She wanted to bury it in the backyard and pretend the assassin, Lucien, was just a bad dream. But she knew better.

Even worse, he knew what she did. He might even know more. Who knew if he had wandered the house, looking for blackmail. Tara bit her lip. And Clarissa did need more souls. A lot more. She laid back on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. What she would give just to have someone to advise her on what to do.

Her leg.

Tara sat back up, only just remembering Clarissas detached leg and the trouble she had walking. She would have to fix that. She ran downstairs to the kitchen and pulled out a ball of twine and a pair of scissors. She hesitated before grabbing some wire as well.

She opened the basement door. Clarissa was sitting on the floor. As soon as Tara crossed the thresh hold, Clarissa began to crackle for a moment. Tara narrowed her eyes a little. That had to be how she tracked movement. Tara glanced back up the stairs. This was something she just had to record!

Clarissa, I need to see your leg.

Clarissa remained still. Tara sighed. She couldnt wait until Clarissa would have the capacity to understand her.

She sat next to Clarissa and reached for her leg. Just a week ago the very thought would have made her sick to her stomach. Now it seemed no different than wiping a childs skinned knee.

She loosened the leather strap and Clarissas leg fell right off. She didnt even seem to notice. Tara sighed. And just how did this happen, anyway? She tsked. Tara took wire and looped it through the bones in her leg. Now, she said, taking Clarissas hands and having her stand up. Walk with me for a second.

She guided Clarissa, noticing that while she still had a bit of trouble, it was nowhere near as bad as it was with the leather. Good, Tara said. Now, just to reinforce it She knelt down and tied the twine around her leg and knee. I guess well have to leave it like that until you can heal proper. She said, brushing her hands on her skirt. She hesitated for a moment. In fact, while Im here

Tara lifted the steel collar around Clarissas neck, looking at the wire that held her neck in place with her spine. The sight of the broken bones caused a lump to rise in her throat.

Tara couldnt tell if Clarissa was already dead. She could barely tell if she herself was even alive. All she saw was that man, that monster, that coward strangling the poor girl with a noose. Once it was firm around Clarissas neck, he threw the other end of the rope over the stair case. With an audible snap! the rope went taut and Clarissas body swung. Tara wanted to scream. She felt it build up inside her, but she didnt have the strength. Though she held her stomach tight, she still gushed blood. Everything was going black.

Tara shook her head. But we won, she whispered. Youre alive now.

With that image melting from her thoughts, she made up her mind. Im going to be leaving in a few days, she said. I need to go to the Inn of Ill Omen and find a man named Rufio.

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 13 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

*Winces*...

I have missed this... biggrin.gif ...

Love it, it's creepy and yet utterly compelling, I'm desperate to know what happens to Clarissa...And that picture of her is just the sweetest thing ever!... biggrin.gif ...Awwww, bless her!...

Tara is deliciously complicated. Her descent into darkness is really well done, and again, dying to know what'll happen when everybody finds out... biggrin.gif ...

Talking of Tara...Those pictures...Ooof!!... tongue.gif ...Nicely done there... biggrin.gif ...

Brilliant story, loving it...

Nice one!!!...

*Applauds heartily*...
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:16 PM