Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TK's Mod Questions Thread, Got mod problems, or are you just lost with a tool?
Renee
post Oct 12 2018, 02:20 AM
Post #381

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 8 2018, 04:47 PM) *

File naming rules are really fun.

Nice. I like that you think this is "fun!" I don't understand most of this naming thing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I always do. Any tutorials you can point me toward?

thanks for linking to Morrowind Mods and other info. I'll probably be getting into modding Morrowind around Halloween + my birthday.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 01:23 AM
Post #382

Councilor
Group Icon

ghastley, or anybody who might know. I am trying to write a timer script for Skyrim, one which will count days passed (or if there's only hourly versions, I'll go with that). I've got timer scripts down pat for Oblivion and Fallout. I think I hijacked some Bethesda script to learn how to do this.

Skyrim though, it's boggling. I'm going to copy/paste the script which goes along bed rentals, found in the GenericDailog quest > Player Dalogue tab. "Sure thing, it's yours for a day." There must be some sort of timer for this, but I'm just not seeing it.

----------------------------------------------------
;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment
;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1

Scriptname TIF__00079B1A Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_0
Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
;BEGIN CODE
(akspeaker as RentRoomScript).RentRoom(GetOwningQuest() as DialogueGenericScript)
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin comment

-------------------

In the "Scripts End" box I'm seeing this:

(akspeaker as RentRoomScript).RentRoom(GetOwningQuest() as DialogueGenericScript)

No timer though? Ugh. Skyrim is so tough to figure out.

---------------

One more. Hulda has a Rent Room Script which looks like this...

Scriptname RentRoomScript extends Actor Conditional
{script for anyone who rents a room}

ObjectReference Property Bed Auto
{bed to rent}

WIFunctionsScript Property WI Auto
{Pointer to WIFunctionsScript attached to WI quest}

; rent room or clear rental

function RentRoom(DialogueGenericScript pQuestScript)
Bed.SetActorOwner(Game.GetPlayer().GetActorBase())
RegisterForSingleUpdateGameTime (pQuestScript.RentHours)
Game.GetPlayer().RemoveItem(pQuestScript.Gold, pQuestScript.RoomRentalCost.GetValueInt())
; used to conditionalize innkeeper dialogue
SetActorValue("Variable09", 1.0)

WI.ShowPlayerRoom(self, Bed)
endFunction

function ClearRoom()
; debug.trace(self + " ClearRoom called on RentRoomScript - room rental expired")
; clear ownership - either rental expired or I died

Bed.SetActorOwner((self as Actor).GetActorBase())
UnregisterForUpdateGameTime()

SetActorValue("Variable09", 0.0)
endFunction

; when this is called, reset the ownership on the bed

event OnUpdateGameTime()
ClearRoom()
endEvent

; if I die, clear the room rental as well, to stop the timer

Event OnDeath(Actor akKiller)
ClearRoom()
endEvent

-------------------------
"event OnUpdateGameTimer" seems to be where the answer lies, but how do I modify this timer to work for .. let's say 8 days?

This post has been edited by Renee: Nov 27 2018, 02:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #383

Councilor
Group Icon

Dangit I just remembered something.... properties! I need to look into those. Frickin' Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Nov 27 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #384

Councilor
Group Icon

The line
is the one that starts the timer, and the operand is the duration. RentHours is a property of the script which was passed in on the call to this function as pQuestScript. And that's probably Hulda (who has a script associated with her.)

You'd have to track down where that script was placed on her, which could be her Actor form, or as an Alias of a quest, and look at the instance properties to see where RentHours was set. In most cases, you go all the way back to a global variable, because there was no override made at any of the opportunities to do so. In this case, you already found that she got the script as the speaker of the dialog topic to rent the room. The script was DialogGeneric, and the property could be overridden via the Scripts tab of the quest. You know the name is RentHours, and you can set a new value by changing the Global variable, to affect all rentals, or overriding it in an individual quest.

DialogGeneric gets used by all the rentals, but any quest that involves one can use it directly, or replace it with one that extends it to do something extra. Just like RentRoomScript extends Actor, because only some characters need the extra dialogue. For example, you could create a RentHorseScript that extends Actor, and has provision for returning the horse to any stable. Every time you override, you get the chance to establish a new default value for the script properties, and scripts get used in a LOT of places. You need to look on the Actor forms to see if the actor gets one ab initio, then on the Alias tab in a quest to see if they get a temporary one while they're involved in the quest, and the quest, topic, and other fragments can add one for a single dialog line or action. Story Manager can also invoke scripts when events take place in the world, like the player levelling up, moving to a different location etc., and these can all communicate by firing events another script is listening for. E.g. if the room owner dies, this script gets the OnDeath notification, as that ends the contract.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Nov 27 2018, 03:32 PM
Post #385

Councilor
Group Icon

Awesome, hey thanks! I'll get back to you, let you know if I figured my idea as workable or not.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 8 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #386

Councilor
Group Icon

Why are very specific off-numbers used for distances in Beth games? 256 instead of 250 or 260 for instance. 512 instead of 500 or 510. 1024 instead of 1000, etc?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 8 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #387

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 8 2018, 02:14 PM) *

Wait, are you saying there are mods to make NPCs sit down? Or for our character to sit down? I thought sitting was impossible in this game.

Not the NPC's, but for the Player to "sit."

Yes, I remember Princess Stomper. I don't think she's at the new Beth forums though. sad.gif

Aw, that is too bad! I really liked Princess Stomper!

Yikes. The file-naming thing sounds odd! Hope I don't get stuck on that for hours and hours.

Yes, it is very irritating. I think you have to name the files the full path or something = can't remember how it went, but it was really weird because if you didn't do it then the game wouldn't be able to find those files. And retexturing in Morrowind was the worst for that file naming bug; meaning my most fun thing to do in modding was kaput.

QUOTE(Renee @ Nov 26 2018, 07:23 PM) *

ghastley, or anybody who might know. I am trying to write a timer script for Skyrim, one which will count days passed (or if there's only hourly versions, I'll go with that). I've got timer scripts down pat for Oblivion and Fallout. I think I hijacked some Bethesda script to learn how to do this.

Skyrim though, it's boggling. I'm going to copy/paste the script which goes along bed rentals, found in the GenericDailog quest > Player Dalogue tab. "Sure thing, it's yours for a day." There must be some sort of timer for this, but I'm just not seeing it.

----------------------------------------------------
;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment
;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1

Scriptname TIF__00079B1A Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_0
Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
;BEGIN CODE
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin comment

-------------------

In the "Scripts End" box I'm seeing this:

No timer though? Ugh. Skyrim is so tough to figure out.

---------------

One more. Hulda has a Rent Room Script which looks like this...

Scriptname RentRoomScript extends Actor Conditional
{script for anyone who rents a room}

ObjectReference Property Bed Auto
{bed to rent}

WIFunctionsScript Property WI Auto
{Pointer to WIFunctionsScript attached to WI quest}

; rent room or clear rental

function RentRoom(DialogueGenericScript pQuestScript)
Bed.SetActorOwner(Game.GetPlayer().GetActorBase())
Game.GetPlayer().RemoveItem(pQuestScript.Gold, pQuestScript.RoomRentalCost.GetValueInt())
SetActorValue("Variable09", 1.0)

WI.ShowPlayerRoom(self, Bed)
endFunction

function ClearRoom()
; debug.trace(self + " ClearRoom called on RentRoomScript - room rental expired")
; clear ownership - either rental expired or I died

Bed.SetActorOwner((self as Actor).GetActorBase())
UnregisterForUpdateGameTime()

SetActorValue("Variable09", 0.0)
endFunction

; when this is called, reset the ownership on the bed

event OnUpdateGameTime()
ClearRoom()
endEvent

; if I die, clear the room rental as well, to stop the timer

Event OnDeath(Actor akKiller)
ClearRoom()
endEvent

-------------------------
"event OnUpdateGameTimer" seems to be where the answer lies, but how do I modify this timer to work for .. let's say 8 days?

I'm pretty sure the room rental "day" is global; you have to point to the global time. Search for it in ALL the scripts for another Inn and you should find it. (or search for the global time of one day and then see whether that is the one the other Inns pointed to).

QUOTE(ghastley @ Nov 27 2018, 09:05 AM) *

The line
is the one that starts the timer, and the operand is the duration. RentHours is a property of the script which was passed in on the call to this function as pQuestScript. And that's probably Hulda (who has a script associated with her.)

You'd have to track down where that script was placed on her, which could be her Actor form, or as an Alias of a quest, and look at the instance properties to see where RentHours was set. In most cases, you go all the way back to a global variable, because there was no override made at any of the opportunities to do so. In this case, you already found that she got the script as the speaker of the dialog topic to rent the room. The script was DialogGeneric, and the property could be overridden via the Scripts tab of the quest. You know the name is RentHours, and you can set a new value by changing the Global variable, to affect all rentals, or overriding it in an individual quest.

DialogGeneric gets used by all the rentals, but any quest that involves one can use it directly, or replace it with one that extends it to do something extra. Just like RentRoomScript extends Actor, because only some characters need the extra dialogue. For example, you could create a RentHorseScript that extends Actor, and has provision for returning the horse to any stable. Every time you override, you get the chance to establish a new default value for the script properties, and scripts get used in a LOT of places. You need to look on the Actor forms to see if the actor gets one ab initio, then on the Alias tab in a quest to see if they get a temporary one while they're involved in the quest, and the quest, topic, and other fragments can add one for a single dialog line or action. Story Manager can also invoke scripts when events take place in the world, like the player levelling up, moving to a different location etc., and these can all communicate by firing events another script is listening for. E.g. if the room owner dies, this script gets the OnDeath notification, as that ends the contract.

That's what I'm talking about, but when Ghastley says it = much clearer and more informative! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 8 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Why are very specific off-numbers used for distances in Beth games? 256 instead of 250 or 260 for instance. 512 instead of 500 or 510. 1024 instead of 1000, etc?

Metric size of each standard item in the game. (example: when building a house floor = each square floor piece measures 256 x 256; so you just add 256 to the axis that first floor piece is sitting in any direction and you can lay a perfect floor for your house. (you don't have to try to set the piece; just type in the new axis in the piece's edit to move the piece to the right spot).

And 256 + 256 = 512; hence the 512, laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 8 2018, 06:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 9 2018, 12:05 AM
Post #388

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 8 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Powers of 2. 256 is 2^8, 512 is 2^9, and 1024 is 2^10. You can count to 1023 on your fingers if you do it in binary.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 11 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #389

Councilor
Group Icon

I still don't get it, but that's okay. This seems to be a computer thing as well, I don't know. I mean, I get that 256 is half of 512 which is half of 1024 and so on. But why even start with an "off' number like 12 (512). True metric always is based on 10. 10 millimeters = a centimeter for instance.

But it seems to be a computer thing too. Like, with memory. The Playstation 3 has 256 MB of RAM, not 250. Xbox 360 has 512, not 510. I see these numbers associated with personal computers too. panic.gif

That symbol you just used ghastley the caret. ^ that's new for me. I didn't grow up with computers, so the answer lies there I guess. I just did a google search too, which began talking about more computer stuff. panic.gif I didn't grow up learning computer stuff. sad.gif

I'm pretty sure the room rental "day" is global; you have to point to the global time. Search for it in ALL the scripts for another Inn and you should find it. (or search for the global time of one day and then see whether that is the one the other Inns pointed to).

Cool thanks mALX. That's another thing which confuses me, what does "global" mean? I've been going back through the Creation Kit tutorials though. Hopefully I learn all this stuff. So much easier in earlier games, where usually what I'd do was find a script associated with a quest I wanted to emulate, and then just literally copy/paste that script and mess around in-game until I figured how to make it work the way I wanted to

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 11 2018, 04:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 11 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #390

Councilor
Group Icon

When I started with computers, I actually worked with machines that operated in decimal, but it was inefficient that way. (One of them could compute directly in pounds, shillings and pence, using bases of 12 and 20!). These days it's binary all the way up, but we typically group the bits four at a time and use hexadecimal (base 16) for notation. So x'A = 10, x'B = 11, x'C = 12, x'D = 13, x'E = 14, and x'F = 15, and x'10 = 16. (More notation there: -x' meaning the rest of this string is hexadecimal digits).

256 = 2^8 = 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 (8 two's multiplied together, different from multiplying 2 eights, so order is important) which is the number of different values in a byte of memory (the values run from 0-255, not 1-256). Most computers address memory at the byte level. An address represents a byte of memory, not a larger chunk.

Some of the old machines had word addressing and memory was in up to 36-bit chunks. And since 36 doesn't divide by 8, they typically displayed things in octal (three biits at a time) rather than the hex used now. Notation for octal varied. There was o' like x', but also a convention that a leading zero meant octal. so 123 = 0173.

Transferring data between machines wasn't easy if one was a byte machine, and another a word machine.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 11 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #391

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 11 2018, 10:22 AM) *

I still don't get it, but that's okay. This seems to be a computer thing as well, I don't know. I mean, I get that 256 is half of 512 which is half of 1024 and so on. But why even start with an "off' number like 12 (512). True metric always is based on 10. 10 millimeters = a centimeter for instance.

But it seems to be a computer thing too. Like, with memory. The Playstation 3 has 256 MB of RAM, not 250. Xbox 360 has 512, not 510. I see these numbers associated with personal computers too. panic.gif

That symbol you just used ghastley the caret. ^ that's new for me. I didn't grow up with computers, so the answer lies there I guess. I just did a google search too, which began talking about more computer stuff. panic.gif I didn't grow up learning computer stuff. sad.gif

Cool thanks mALX. That's another thing which confuses me, what does "global" mean? I've been going back through the Creation Kit tutorials though. Hopefully I learn all this stuff. So much easier in earlier games, where usually what I'd do was find a script associated with a quest I wanted to emulate, and then just literally copy/paste that script and mess around in-game until I figured how to make it work the way I wanted to

Bold: That is exactly how I was doing it too. I would deconstruct a quest from dialogue, to quest stages, to scripts, to every single NPC associated and their scripts. I had to teach myself that C++ in Oblivion to make scripts do what I wanted them to do; but every one of mine had a basis in some script I found in Oblivion's game files.

I was struggling with an Innkeeper and collecting rent /that day thing too; but when I checked the global "day" I found where all the Innkeepers were pointing to it in their scripts = FINALLY got it working right; but still couldn't get her to say the dialogue = I sent it to Ghastley and he sent it back like within a minute = corrected. I had put a space in the voice files folder name; and didn't have a space in the quest name, rollinglaugh.gif

Ghastley and SubRosa know things I could never even begin to learn about computers; and never will be able to learn = thank goodness they are kind and patient enough to keep helping!

** Edit:

In the Oblivion Construction set, Global is in one of the drop down lists at the top of the Construction Set upper Left side = I don't think it is under Data, but it is in one close to Data. Look at all the drop down lists for the word "Global."

*** Edit again = I am pretty sure global time is like GMT time in the real world. It is the time the entire world of Tamriel was using so there would be uniformity.

That is my best guess; but I'd say there is a real answer from someone who does know what it is. I just know I found it on the Innkeeper for renting rooms; and that is the first time I noticed it. Then I dug through the globals to see who else used it = which knowing you, I would bet you will too, laugh.gif I didn't know much going in or coming out; but had a lot of fun and my Oblivion mods were a blast and worked great for me, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 13 2018, 08:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 11 2018, 05:54 PM
Post #392

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 11 2018, 10:56 AM) *

When I started with computers, I actually worked with machines that operated in decimal, but it was inefficient that way. (One of them could compute directly in pounds, shillings and pence, using bases of 12 and 20!). These days it's binary all the way up, but we typically group the bits four at a time and use hexadecimal (base 16) for notation. So x'A = 10, x'B = 11, x'C = 12, x'D = 13, x'E = 14, and x'F = 15, and x'10 = 16. (More notation there: -x' meaning the rest of this string is hexadecimal digits).

256 = 2^8 = 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 (8 two's multiplied together, different from multiplying 2 eights, so order is important) which is the number of different values in a byte of memory (the values run from 0-255, not 1-256). Most computers address memory at the byte level. An address represents a byte of memory, not a larger chunk.

Some of the old machines had word addressing and memory was in up to 36-bit chunks. And since 36 doesn't divide by 8, they typically displayed things in octal (three biits at a time) rather than the hex used now. Notation for octal varied. There was o' like x', but also a convention that a leading zero meant octal. so 123 = 0173.

Transferring data between machines wasn't easy if one was a byte machine, and another a word machine.

Holy Crap!!!!! You never cease to amaze me, I can't even begin to fathom even a smidgeon of what you probably learned before you were ten!!!!!! You are amazing, Ghastley !!!! Where the hell is that bowing down emoticon?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 13 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #393

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 11 2018, 10:56 AM) *

Okay, now I get it. It's two multiplied over and over. Phew. The 255 thing also makes sense now too. That's the top number mods we can run without bashing them, right?

When was this by the way, that you first started working with computers?

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 11 2018, 11:54 AM) *
I was struggling with an Innkeeper and collecting rent /that day thing too; but when I checked the global "day" I found where all the Innkeepers were pointing to it in their scripts = FINALLY got it working right; but still couldn't get her to say the dialogue = I sent it to Ghastley and he sent it back like within a minute = corrected. I had put a space in the voice files folder name; and didn't have a space in the quest name, rollinglaugh.gif

See I've been able to make timers work in Oblivion and Fallout 3. I forget where I got the script that I use, it could be the one which is used when Martin spends several days deciphering that book during the Main Quest. I don't think I looked at innkeepers specifically. But this is the timer I use all the time...

That script shows up again and again in my mods, I can practically write it in my sleep, ha ha. Skyrim though, eludes me. More on Skyrim in a minute.

Ghastley and SubRosa know things I could never even begin to learn about computers; and never will be able to learn = thank goodness they are kind and patient enough to keep helping!

Mm hmm, this is how I feel sometimes (about modding, not so much computers), except that I get afraid I'll annoy the community if I ask too many questions. So everything I learned was mostly on my own. Usually when I ask questions, I walk away more confused than before I asked! laugh.gif

Instead, I started off with tutorials on YouTube and text-based lessons from Bethesda and TES Alliance, which are written mostly in plain English. But after awhile, those tutorials don't help anymore because now I've got ideas that nobody has ever written up before. panic.gif That is why all the instructions in my modding thread are so ... I dunno... basic, I guess. Any modding dummy should be able to come along and figure stuff out, I hope.

In the Oblivion Construction set, Global is in one of the drop down lists at the top of the Construction Set upper right side = I don't think it is under Data, but it is in one close to Data. Look at all the drop down lists for the word "Global."

*** Edit again = I am pretty sure global time is like GMT time in the real world. It is the time the entire world of Tamriel was using so there would be uniformity.

Awesome, this helps a lot. I think you're talking about the main toolbar (the one that's always underneath the Object, Cell, and Render windows).

So "global time" is similar to what we call military time here in the U.S.? 18 instead of 6 PM, for instance.

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 11 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Holy Crap!!!!! You never cease to amaze me, I can't even begin to fathom even a smidgeon of what you probably learned before you were ten!!!!!! You are amazing, Ghastley !!!! Where the hell is that bowing down emoticon?

Closest thing Chorrol has is the "good job" emoticon. goodjob.gif

Well, I ran into trouble with my Skyrim rentable flat idea. I'm at work now so I don't entirely know what I did wrong. Pretty sure I attached the RentRoom Script to an NPC I made (this NPC will be the one in Markarth who will rent a flat to the PC), and I'm pretty sure that's all I did. I did not modify the script itself.

But now, whenever a standard Bethesda innkeeper rents me a room, everything works: the innkeeper takes money, says all the right things, might even show the character where the room is, but the bed remains "owned." mad.gif So obviously it's something I messed up, but I'm not sure what. I removed the script from my custom NPC and even got rid of the entire quest (I think...) which was not even halfway written. Problem persists.

In a way, I'm glad this happened. I'm looking forward to figuring it out. But GOOD LORD. nono.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 13 2018, 07:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 13 2018, 07:37 PM
Post #394

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 13 2018, 01:20 PM) *

When was this by the way, that you first started working with computers?

I got my first programming job with IBM at the start of 1969. Almost 50 years!!! (and I haven't retired yet). But I'd had access to some before that, while at "high school" (UK equivalent). My father was a programmer - not with IBM, but a customer.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Dec 13 2018, 07:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 13 2018, 08:52 PM
Post #395

Ancient
Group Icon

See I've been able to make timers work in Oblivion and Fallout 3. I forget where I got the script that I use, it could be the one which is used when Martin spends several days deciphering that book during the Main Quest. I don't think I looked at innkeepers specifically. But this is the timer I use all the time...

That script shows up again and again in my mods, I can practically write it in my sleep, ha ha. Skyrim though, eludes me. More on Skyrim in a minute.

I am pretty sure that "GameDaysPassed" in that script is pointing to the Global. Find the drop down list with Global on it; and search for "GameDaysPassed" which would probably have a value of 1.00 by default.

** Yes, the main toolbar with all the clickable buttons on it, lol. The drop down lists are at the top of the page; start at the LEFT side of the screen (I said "on the Right side" before; but I meant Left = sorry about that; urk!)

Well, I ran into trouble with my Skyrim rentable flat idea. I'm at work now so I don't entirely know what I did wrong. Pretty sure I attached the RentRoom Script to an NPC I made (this NPC will be the one in Markarth who will rent a flat to the PC), and I'm pretty sure that's all I did. I did not modify the script itself.

But now, whenever a standard Bethesda innkeeper rents me a room, everything works: the innkeeper takes money, says all the right things, might even show the character where the room is, but the bed remains "owned." mad.gif So obviously it's something I messed up, but I'm not sure what. I removed the script from my custom NPC and even got rid of the entire quest (I think...) which was not even halfway written. Problem persists.

In a way, I'm glad this happened. I'm looking forward to figuring it out. But GOOD LORD. nono.gif

In Oblivion; you had to rename the script so it didn't effect/affect any other Innkeepers; and as a backup protection = point to your NPC as the ONLY one to use that script/dialogue/etc. = and the re-naming/ownership of the bed was typed in the quest form as a "Result" of the script (if I remember correctly).

(In Skyrim, you did have to add your NPC's name to some list I think; but I'm not positive that you want to for this because it may end up making a "dirty edit" with your mod = which it sounds like is what you have right now).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Dec 13 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #396

Councilor
Group Icon

Skyrim keeps a lot of script stuff in the save game that Oblivion didn't. When I was developing Orc Hearthfires, I had to start a completely new game every time I changed anything, right back at the cart ride. It got tiresome very quickly, and I added an alternate start mod just to speed it up. That was because Hearthfires quests are "Start Game Enabled" meaning they start running when you start a game, or add the mod to an existing one, and all the quest properties are now baked into the save, and can't be changed.

You can change the value of a property later, but not the type (or existence) of the property. I.e. you can't add/remove them, or change a static item to an activator, etc.

Some of the script logic may also be copied into the save, to make things even harder to diagnose.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Dec 13 2018, 09:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 17 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #397

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, 1969. That's when I was born. ohmy.gif No wonder you're so knowledgeable, you've seen computers from almost their very inception. Like, did you work with systems that were the size of tool sheds?

I have good news to report. I wrote a Skyrim quest last year with a very peculiar idea: when the player speaks to Lucan (Riverwood trader guy) I made it so that every once in a while, he will give us a quest, to rid a bandit boss from Embershard Mine. The way this quest works, Lucan will greet the player saying "Well, they've come back..." but the difference between this quest and a lot of others is he won't always say this. My greeting is random, and gets mixed in with all the other standard Beth greetings ("The Riverwood Trader has everything you need in a general store..." etc.) I made it this way so the guy won't always say my greeting, and when he does, it feels sort of natural, because maybe the bandits have been bothering him for awhile, so he finally brings up the issue.

Last year when I was playtesting, I noted that my greeting does indeed show up rarely, a little too rarely matter of fact. I was not able to fix this. And then this year, I did more playtesting and found that my greeting was not showing up at all.

But, this past weekend, Sir Vyvoor went to RT to do some buying + selling, and lo, there it was. "Well, they've come back...." And then from there on, the entire quest just worked as it's supposed to. PC goes to Embershard, kills the boss I added, Lucan gives PC a note, PC takes note to Whiterun, where a steward I added then takes the note, and gives a reward. smile.gif

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 13 2018, 02:52 PM) *

I am pretty sure that "GameDaysPassed" in that script is pointing to the Global. Find the drop down list with Global on it; and search for "GameDaysPassed" which would probably have a value of 1.00 by default.

** Yes, the main toolbar with all the clickable buttons on it, lol. The drop down lists are at the top of the page; start at the LEFT side of the screen (I said "on the Right side" before; but I meant Left = sorry about that; urk!)

Okay. Cool, just learned something new.

Hey, you were making an inn too, right? Did that ever go up on Nexus or anywhere else?

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 13 2018, 01:20 PM) *

(In Skyrim, you did have to add your NPC's name to some list I think; but I'm not positive that you want to for this because it may end up making a "dirty edit" with your mod = which it sounds like is what you have right now).

Naw, it's not a dirty edit I don't think. I've LOOTed my game a couple times this weekend, and did clean up a few mods that were dirty. LOOT did not point to any of mine.

QUOTE(ghastley @ Dec 13 2018, 03:34 PM) *

Skyrim keeps a lot of script stuff in the save game that Oblivion didn't. When I was developing Orc Hearthfires, I had to start a completely new game every time I changed anything, right back at the cart ride. It got tiresome very quickly, and I added an alternate start mod just to speed it up. That was because Hearthfires quests are "Start Game Enabled" meaning they start running when you start a game, or add the mod to an existing one, and all the quest properties are now baked into the save, and can't be changed.

Weird. Good lord that sounds annoying.

You can change the value of a property later, but not the type (or existence) of the property. I.e. you can't add/remove them, or change a static item to an activator, etc.

Some of the script logic may also be copied into the save, to make things even harder to diagnose.

Yeah, I'm sure I've screwed things up, lol. Maybe I should go back to an earlier save and see if the inn stuff still works. Then I'll know it's baked into the save. Either that, or there's something I changed on-the-fly without really thinking about it. If I can't fix it, there's always console commands to SetOwnership to various beds in inns.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 17 2018, 03:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 17 2018, 06:27 PM
Post #398

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 17 2018, 09:45 AM) *

Wow, 1969. That's when I was born. ohmy.gif No wonder you're so knowledgeable, you've seen computers from almost their very inception. Like, did you work with systems that were the size of tool sheds?

I have good news to report. I wrote a Skyrim quest last year with a very peculiar idea: when the player speaks to Lucan (Riverwood trader guy) I made it so that every once in a while, he will give us a quest, to rid a bandit boss from Embershard Mine. The way this quest works, Lucan will greet the player saying "Well, they've come back..." but the difference between this quest and a lot of others is he won't always say this. My greeting is random, and gets mixed in with all the other standard Beth greetings ("The Riverwood Trader has everything you need in a general store..." etc.) I made it this way so the guy won't always say my greeting, and when he does, it feels sort of natural, because maybe the bandits have been bothering him for awhile, so he finally brings up the issue.

Last year when I was playtesting, I noted that my greeting does indeed show up rarely, a little too rarely matter of fact. I was not able to fix this. And then this year, I did more playtesting and found that my greeting was not showing up at all.

But, this past weekend, Sir Vyvoor went to RT to do some buying + selling, and lo, there it was. "Well, they've come back...." And then from there on, the entire quest just worked as it's supposed to. PC goes to Embershard, kills the boss I added, Lucan gives PC a note, PC takes note to Whiterun, where a steward I added then takes the note, and gives a reward. smile.gif

Awesome!!! Congrats on it working so well, that is fantastic!!!

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 17 2018, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 13 2018, 01:20 PM) *

*snip*
... it may end up making a "dirty edit" with your mod = which it sounds like is what you have right now).

Naw, it's not a dirty edit I don't think. I've LOOTed my game a couple times this weekend, and did clean up a few mods that were dirty. LOOT did not point to any of mine.

If it changed all the vanilla Inn rental beds so you can no longer sleep in them after renting the room; that is considered a "dirty" edit. It won't matter for your own personal game; of course (but you won't be able to upload that mod for others to use unless you fix that).

I made one for my own game that was supposed to add flirtatious and seductive dialogue to my Inn mod's version of Eyja toward two male NPC's (that I added to the game) after 10 p.m. nightly in the Inn's tavern. (she would drink heavily for several hours, then start hitting on the male NPC's I added to the game). = this was just added to my game, not the version I uploaded to Nexus.

Well, something about my timing didn't work; and even though I had the dialogue named as just hers = I heard a different Nord girl using it early in the morning in one of the Mages Guilds = to me, when the dialogue was supposed to be pointed toward males only.

That was a "dirty" edit, but because it only affected my own personal game = didn't matter; as long as I didn't mind. If I was going to upload it to Nexus; I'd have had to fix that before offering it to anyone else.

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 17 2018, 06:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 17 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #399

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah it felt pretty amazing when that greeting showed up. It was at a moment when I was not even thinking about it, whereas last year, of course I'm thinking about that greeting showing up quite a lot, because I'm wanting to see if everything works. That entire quest repeats itself, which is something I've done in Oblivion and FO3 numerous times, but to get it to happen in Skyrim had me nearly pulling my hair out.

Oh I won't be uploading my stuff to Nexus or anywhere else. My modding thread will eventually teach how to make it happen for others' games out there (once I figure it out), but I don't wanna be responsible for screwing up anyone else's world.

made one for my own game that was supposed to add flirtatious and seductive dialogue to my Inn mod's version of Eyja toward two male NPC's (that I added to the game) after 10 p.m. nightly in the Inn's tavern. (she would drink heavily for several hours, then start hitting on the male NPC's I added to the game). = this was just added to my game, not the version I uploaded to Nexus.

Ha, awesome! Was all this voiced? wub.gif That would be fun to see, even if not.

Well, something about my timing didn't work; and even though I had the dialogue named as just hers = I heard a different Nord girl using it early in the morning in one of the Mages Guilds = to me, when the dialogue was supposed to be pointed toward males only.

That was a "dirty" edit, but because it only affected my own personal game = didn't matter; as long as I didn't mind. If I was going to upload it to Nexus; I'd have had to fix that before offering it to anyone else.

Okay so it was voiced, nice. smile.gif That's weird that some other person would be using that dialog. I wonder what happened. Probably something small. Always some small little mistake, I've been there dozens of times. At least earlier programs aren't as daunting as the Creation Kit.

I'll let y'all know if I manage to figure my game, or not. I feel like it'll take a lot of learning though, whatever it is.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 17 2018, 08:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 18 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #400

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Dec 17 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Yeah it felt pretty amazing when that greeting showed up. It was at a moment when I was not even thinking about it, whereas last year, of course I'm thinking about that greeting showing up quite a lot, because I'm wanting to see if everything works. That entire quest repeats itself, which is something I've done in Oblivion and FO3 numerous times, but to get it to happen in Skyrim had me nearly pulling my hair out.

Oh I won't be uploading my stuff to Nexus or anywhere else. My modding thread will eventually teach how to make it happen for others' games out there (once I figure it out), but I don't wanna be responsible for screwing up anyone else's world.

made one for my own game that was supposed to add flirtatious and seductive dialogue to my Inn mod's version of Eyja toward two male NPC's (that I added to the game) after 10 p.m. nightly in the Inn's tavern. (she would drink heavily for several hours, then start hitting on the male NPC's I added to the game). = this was just added to my game, not the version I uploaded to Nexus.

Ha, awesome! Was all this voiced? wub.gif That would be fun to see, even if not.

Okay so it was voiced, nice. smile.gif That's weird that some other person would be using that dialog. I wonder what happened. Probably something small. Always some small little mistake, I've been there dozens of times. At least earlier programs aren't as daunting as the Creation Kit.

I'll let y'all know if I manage to figure my game, or not. I feel like it'll take a lot of learning though, whatever it is.

Voiced = yes. I pulled out every single Nord/Orc female dialogue I could get (anything voiced by Wonder Woman!) = went through them all and pulled out every bit of dialogue that was either suggestive, sexy (or could be cut/pasted/edited in Audacity to make into a suggestive comment) = made up a dialogue for her to use only in her faction; that was the Inn's faction - and toward males. The dialogue was supposed to be on a timer; so was the drinking; and she was the only one named to say it. I added five NPC's = the three gorgeous triplets that ran the Inn; and two male NPC's who couldn't stay away from the Inn.

Every night four of the NPC's drank and danced; (two of the triplets and the two males; the other triplet ran the bar and rented out rooms) = and then Ghastley made an add-in mod where Eyja's shirt would come off after 10 p.m. (he also added a poster that anyone (even the Player) could pick up the charcoal and use = it drew a busty naked lady, lol. = and he also made the sign for the Inn and fixed anything that wasn't working right in it! - not to mention lowering to the ground anything floating that I missed, lol).

Anyway, it spurred me into trying out playing with dialogue; I had this vision of Eyja hitting on those men when she took her shirt off, lol.

So anyway, the dialogue didn't work right; but it turned out to be a blast when Maxical would be going through town and have all the Nord and Orc women hitting on her, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:24 PM