Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orc Hearthfire, Help me with the story part
ghastley
post Mar 23 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #81

Councilor
Group Icon

More thoughts for the future:

Glass and Straw cannot be found/made by the player, but must be purchased from merchants in towns (or Khajiit traders apparently - never tried that) so would it be useful for an Orc to have another source?

Two choices I can think of immediately are to have smiths at the strongholds sell them, or to create a recipe for making them - glass at a smelter, straw somewhere else. Straw could also be sold at farms that grow wheat, or at stables.

It's not something I need to do anything about short-term, as the Khajiit caravans provide an out for the Orc who won't go into towns. But I like the idea of using some of the zero-value clutter, such as empty wine bottles, in a recipe.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 24 2015, 12:06 AM
Post #82

Councilor
Group Icon

I would definitely note the respawning food containers in the description and/or the wiki, since the regular Hearthfire home containers do not respawn even though the surfaces in the house do. That way players will know that they’re getting a food source and won’t put their stuff in the sacks.

The only relevant comment I found in the UESP was the last entry in the Hearthfire Notes section:
  • All areas of the player-built homes will reset to their original furnishings; only the storage containers and any items you drop from your inventory will be left as is. This allows storage in containers to be safe while respawning resources (e.g., the greenhouse) can replenish their stocks.

So it may be that people will just assume all indoor containers are safe.

For the goat, can it just respawn by itself if it dies? I’d be happy with any goat replacing scheme, but I’ll admit that all domestic animals that die in Grits guardianship get resurrected with the console. laugh.gif An immortal goat would also work, and anyone who doesn’t want it can use disable instead of putting it to the sword. :0

Very exciting to hear that NPCs and especially Uzgash are in the works!

I love the idea of smelting empty bottles into glass! I guess straw could be a byproduct at the mill where you make flour, but then you’d end up with a bunch of straw every time you made flour. I’ve always gotten enough straw from the merchants or even random loot, though, since you don’t need much. It’s the goat horns and glass that I end up hunting. Buying straw from stable guys or farmers makes sense, and they’re already people who do business with the player. I had the idea to make some hay bales into containers that you could gather straw from, but that sounds like a huge pain and subject to conflict by any mod that moves the hay bales.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 24 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #83

Councilor
Group Icon

Well I went and committed a 1.0 to the Nexus. It needs me to add a few more interior shots, which will need editing for brightness, and one of its map location, but there's enough there now to give an overall impression.

If I can persuade any of my Orcs to put some clothes on, that is. biggrin.gif

The reference to "respawning resources" includes the food sacks, fish barrel, and is supposed to include the butter churn, but I think you need the Unofficial Patch for that one. That's one reason I left it out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 24 2015, 12:20 PM
Post #84

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, congratulations! This is a mod that I will continue to use not just for orc characters. I love having a stronghold at this location, and I can see a lot of characters building it so they can visit the NPCs who live there. Thank you for this awesome addition to Skyrim!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 24 2015, 02:28 PM
Post #85

Councilor
Group Icon

You can't win, can you? I put hints about future expansion to indicate this won't just be posted and forgotten, and already people are not downloading "because it's not complete", and assuming that Uzi will make it incompatible with RSChildren. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 25 2015, 01:54 AM
Post #86

Councilor
Group Icon

Not complete?! Ugh.

I have a dining table picture that didn't upload before, and I might have gotten a decent one with adopted kids. Spring break hit here so it's been noisy. I'm not really sure what I've just thought about or have actually done. wacko.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 28 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #87

Councilor
Group Icon

Well if you want to adopt an Orc, you can try that now.

I built this to be independent of Orc Hearthfires, but it's obviously meant to go with it. Uzgash will happily live in any home that's set up for adoption. I believe I made it so that RS Children, TK children, or Skyrim Children Overhaul won't affect it, or vice versa.

I'm not sure whether to upload this to the Nexus as a separate mod, or an optional file for OH. Any opinions? My thoughts are that as a separate mod, I'd just get people whining that they wanted a Dunmer, Altmer, Bosmer, Argonian or Khajiit. As an optional file, it will only get used with OH, even though folks might want to use it alone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 29 2015, 03:40 AM
Post #88

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, thank you! I’m delighted to get to meet little Uzi. happy.gif

I think definitely put her up as an optional file on the Orc Hearthfire page so that those who are tracking will see her.

There will be a huge amount of demanding and complaining as a new mod, but also I think you will reach more people who will genuinely enjoy having an orc child, so it would be great as a separate file too. Of course I am not the one who will have to deal with the endless aggravation. Yikes!

Thank you so much for sharing this, ghastley! I am going to get up early tomorrow so I can get a little time to myself and bring Uzi home to Greenspring Stronghold. IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 29 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #89

Councilor
Group Icon

Last night, the latest of the De Fault sisters, who habitually runs around wearing only boots and gloves, was given a present by her newly adopted daughter - a green robe!

This is the same girl I keep finding sweeping her room. Is she really an Orc?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 29 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #90

Paladin
Group Icon

Well at least she got the color of the robe right. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 30 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #91

Councilor
Group Icon

laugh.gif Uzi has a copy of 16 Accords of Madness, v. XII in her chest in Mags’s game. I thought that was very appropriate!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Mar 30 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #92

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm getting quite tempted to put a copy of that in the kids' room now I've read it again. Mindless slaughter is just what an Orc child needs as bedtime reading. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 3 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #93

Councilor
Group Icon

I have a new issue with Uzi. If I give her a new dress, she can't wear it (wrong race) but she takes off what she's wearing, including the shoes!

I need to find out how to add a script to her to control what she wears. There are multiple possible uses for a script that confines a character to outfits/items from a form list, so I'll try to make a generic one.

I tried adding Skyrim Children Overhaul to a game that had Uzi, and it messed up her body skin, so I need to copy a few more vanilla texture files over to her own folder, so they can't be replaced. Her face still has lighting issues, too.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Apr 3 2015, 06:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 3 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #94

Councilor
Group Icon

Yikes, I never considered giving her a dress! I haven’t given her any gifts or played any games with her yet. Or returned to Skyrim since Mags got her moved in. I’ve seen the dialog prompts, though. Just haven’t tried them yet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 24 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65003

It's a good sign when someone wants to do that extra work for your mod.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 24 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #96

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Apr 24 2015, 03:23 PM) *

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65003

It's a good sign when someone wants to do that extra work for your mod.

Very cool, Ghastley!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 24 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #97

Master
Group Icon

I saw that too, ghastley! Congrats! Seems you have arrived now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 24 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #98

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, that's great! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 24 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #99

Paladin
Group Icon

Like Rider, I noticed that translation of your work on Nexus. Congrats, and well-deserved! smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 24 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #100

Ancient
Group Icon

Very cool news! It shows what the community thinks of your work.

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:01 PM