2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dyami the Scout's Journal
Lady Saga
post Mar 28 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Good day to all. smile.gif I am Lady Saga. And today I'd like to talk about the saga of Dyami the Eagle Scout. First, some stats and a story on how I got the idea for this character in the first place.

Name: Dyami (The Eagle)

IPB Image

Game: TES V: Skyrim

Race: Redguard
Earth Race: native American
Tribe: Cherokee Indian

Created: 3/25/12 10 am
D&D Class: Ranger/Scout
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Skills: running, horsemanship, bow, blunt, cooking, alertness, sneak, literacy, swimming

Spells: summon wolf, heal

I got my copy of Skyrim from a midnight release at Gamestop at about 12:04 am 11/11/11, rushed home, and took everything out the box, including the linen-patterned brown paper map. smile.gif

During the first weeks of gameplay after 11/11/11, I refused to look at the brown linen-patterned map that comes with the game. I didn't want any spoilers. I would take a quick glance at the in-game 3D map to figure out how to start quests, but once I was out on my way to the actual quest, I chose not to look at it.

But then one day when I was travelling with my 2nd character Thor a'Zaene, an idea dawned on me. What if Thor had his "own" map? What if this map is the linen-paper map that actually comes with Skyrim? Is it even possible to use this map and actually get around the wilderness areas?

I tried it. Thor was a pure figher Nord. No magic. I reasoned that he could possibly gaze upon the 3D map if he were in town, but if he were out of town, I would use the paper map. First I would...

(1). ...use the 3D map to figure out where the quest is supposed to go next.

(2). Put an "X" in the approximate area on the paper map.

(3). use the paper map from then on, hoping to eventually get where I'm supposed to go next.

Make sense? Turns out, it is possible, very challenging, and therefore VERY immersive to get around using just this map. smile.gif Thor eventually died, but today, I am going to start an actual game from Day 1 with Dyami the Scout. Using just the paper map.

Dyami is going to be a sort of "scout" to my other characters. He's a Redguard who's supposed to join up to help the Imperial army map out Skyrim's uncharted areas. I am eventually going to make a copy of the paper map so I can put marks on it, and therefore the original copy won't get all dirty and stuff. biggrin.gif

Dyami is trained in surviving off the land. He's able to hunt, swim, use a bow, etc. He is also a pacifist. He basically tries to stay out of trouble, and only fights for defensive purposes.

Anyways, here is his journal. I've decided to write his story in journal form, but with future characters I will try to write more elegantly. Anyways...Let's rock. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Apr 3 2012, 03:44 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 28 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

Sundas, 8:20 PM, 17th of Last Seed

Arrive in Riverwood, safe with others, in a cabin, for now. One is named Alvor, another is Hadvar.

I come here to Skyrim to assist Imperials. I am Dyami, the Scout. By the powers of the Eagle, Fox, and Deer spirits, the lands of Cyrodiil are known to me, now I come here, where Dyami is needed.

Yesterday I ride on plain horsecart into Skyrim from Pale Pass. I ride with Nordics known as "Stormcloaks". Ambush happens, and fight with Imperials. My body is to be taken by giant axe, But Dyami is saved, saved by a dragon. But by praises of the animal spirits, Dyami, safe. Hagvar, white man and friend, also with me.

We kill 3 wolves as we walk to Riverwood, and I have the skins for sale or trade. I shall trade tomorrow.

Hagvar tells Dyami go to Solitude, so to Solitude Dyami shall go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I had Dyami the Scout sleep (wait, actually) outside, up on the covered bridge that sits on the southeast side of Riverwood. In his inventory are a war axe, long bow, a few arrows, an Imperial light helmet, and his roughspun clothes. He has a small assortment of potions, food, and flowers. He also has a "roll of paper" (this shall be his map)

Morndas, 6:35 AM 18th of Last Seed

Dyami wake from sleep and peaceful dreams. Sun is here. Sky has some clouds. Sell 3 wolf skins, lockpicks and other items, and buy 12 arrows. Dyami now has 30 arrows, and can hunt.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Mar 28 2012, 11:02 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 28 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

Welcome to the sands of the Arena Renee! Hug_emoticon.gif

Even in the journal format, Dyami's character is emerging through his simple, direct 'speech'. He strikes me as a direct, down-to-nirn, no-nonsense sort of fellow. I am looking forward to reading more of his adventures in the land of the mountains.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 29 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

A warm welcome, Renee! It’s a delight to see you posting your story in our little fanfic corner!

As SubRosa said, you are doing well with the journal format. It allows Dyami’s background, manner, education and much of his personality to emerge via his choice of language. His and your Cherokee influence is coming through nicely. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 29 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

Welcome Renee! I am loving how in depth you take your roleplay, you have some excellent ideas here! I love journal-type formats, too! Welcome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 29 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, definately love it...

The directness of the way he writes is very cool, and the whole thing is excellently worked out...

I love your ideas with the map...And the whole idea of RP-ing in general...Wish I had the patience... laugh.gif ...

looking forward to more...

Nice one!!...

*Applauds heartily*...

PS...My receipt says 12:01... tongue.gif ...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Mar 29 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Well this looks very interesting indeed; Dyami has (read: you have) already managed to establish a very distinct personality just through the journals. I don't have tons to say, seeing as this is just an opening, but I'm enjoying it already and looking forward to seeing where his travels take him.

And mine says 10/11/11. Boom! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 29 2012, 10:20 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Looking forward to following his adventures. smile.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 30 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Everything about this is a pleasure. Your concept of the immersive way to navigate, your concept of the character, and the voice Dyami already has.

Wonderful!

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 30 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

Thank you to all. I've been nervous about this. I dunno. I'm so used to posting on that "other" board at Bethsoft and getting flamed for even a little story like this. mellow.gif and now that I'm here, I'll be sure to check out some of y'all's stories as well. smile.gif Some of them are quite long, though, so forgive me if I don't get around to reading as much as is written at times.

I just put up a pic of Dyami up in the OP. He's a little too "buff", I kinda wish I had made him as skinny as possible, but it's cool. I'm not sure if Dyami is gonna go to Solitude and officially join the Imperials or if he'll just wait to get an "assignment" from one of my other future characters. I got interrupted the other day in the middle of gameplay, that's why post #2 is so short. sad.gif
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 30 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

You did an excellent job on him. He looks exactly how I was imagining him. smile.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 30 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

He looks great, Saga! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 30 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

Well unlike that 'other' forum, we like little stories here! So post them away. The only flames you get will be from my home made chili (made some last weekend, yum) wink.gif

A pic! I think you hit it perfectly! Dyami looks every inch the Native American scout! Seriously, you did that well. It might be just the reflection of the light off your tv screen, but his eyes have kind of a creepy look, like they see things no one else can. That's not a bad thing mind you. It is perfect for a scout!

I don't know if you can make a skinny male in this game. Bethesda is definitely catering to the "I want a steroid-abusing muscle-man uber-hero" crowd with the males. Even the male wood elves look like weight lifting champions now. I have never tried creating a sausage in Skyrim though, only tuna, so I am not sure.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 30 2012, 06:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 30 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

oops, double post!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 30 2012, 06:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 30 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

We do, we like stories...Silly ignorant peoples... dry.gif ...

Excellent photo...Cool character... biggrin.gif ...

More!!...
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 30 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #16

Master
Group Icon

So this is the native type character of yours? I love him already. I am fascinated by native lore of various indians, americans and otherwise. Love the fact that he can summon a wolf.

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Apr 3 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

Wow thanks! biggrin.gif I didn't even use a pic this time, like with most of my other characters I usually use a pic of someone else for inspiration. But with Dyami I just figured: high cheekbones, no facial hair, long straight hair (was torn between braids and loose curls), and of course, bronze skin.

I was REALLY wanting to start his game yesterday, but chorrol was down! I went ahead and tried to start Dyami's game anyways, but then I discovered something: if I can't immmediately write a journal entry here at chorrol, I might as well not even game with him yet. sad.gif His journal...this thread...is going to be an essential part of his game, and I'm too disorganized to try and start a hand-written journal.

Anyways, enough talk! My next post in this thread shall be Dyami's journal, I promise. Won't happen tonight, though. sad.gif

Yesterday when I gamed with him briefly, Dyami was about to go to Solitude, but then decided he's wanting to earn some money first. Since he's not a dungeon-diver, he's trying to find some work. He looked into chopping wood for what's-his-name in Riverwood, only to find there are no "woodcarving axes" to be found. Hmph.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 3 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Apr 2 2012, 09:09 PM) *

Yesterday when I gamed with him briefly, Dyami was about to go to Solitude, but then decided he's wanting to earn some money first. Since he's not a dungeon-diver, he's trying to find some work. He looked into chopping wood for what's-his-name in Riverwood, only to find there are no "woodcarving axes" to be found. Hmph.

I have noticed that a lot in Skyrim. The woodpile/chopping blocks never had an axe nearby. Also most of the mines where you can get raw ore never have a smelter. But they have a smithy. Which is useless because you cannot create anything without first melting it down in the smelter...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post May 15 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

Why of why haven't you continued this, Lady Saga?

And you get bad comments on the "other" board? I posted stories there before and I never got flamed or anything. Unless the recent release of Skyrim brought about an influx of fire-breathing children huh.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and liveā€”like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass belowā€”above the vaulted sky.ā€¯
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post May 16 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ May 15 2012, 03:27 PM) *

Why of why haven't you continued this, Lady Saga?

Sorry. It's because I need to do some behind-the-scenes preparation on him. I already made a copy of "His" map at Kinkos, now I have to buy a particular book. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:59 AM