Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Stormcrow, A Superhero's Tale
SubRosa
post Apr 19 2019, 11:34 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

About a month ago I got inspired to write a superhero character. Actually two. My original idea was what if Aela and Loria were superheroes. I worked on the idea, and with a little help from folks here, January and Avery have become fully-fleshed people in their own right. Ones whom I am really loving to write.

I learned a long time ago that when it comes writing, I need to strike when the iron is hot. So I am putting Seven Reimagined on hold for the moment, and concentrating on Stormcrow and Gadget. I will finish Seven, have no worries on that. There is only one third of the story left to go.

Like with the Seven thread, I am going to use this post for general info and a collection of resources. I'll start posting the actual stories with the next post.

Since these stories are set in the contemporary world, I am taking advantage of reality for once, by setting the stories here in Metro Detroit. Almost all the locations in the upcoming stories are real. You can actually use Google Earth to follow along. A few places are fictional, in that they are from other cities, and transplanted here to The D.

Timeline
March 24 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during the Nain Rouge Parade. it is not anchored, and easily banished
May 4 and 5 (Saturday and Sunday) = Stormcrow Rising
May 5 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Cinco De Mayo, using elemental symbols to anchor it, making it immune from banishment
May 14 and 15 (Tuesday and Wednesday) = Stormcrow Recycled
May 25 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Technofest, anchoring it with an animal sacrifice
May 25 and 26 (Saturday and Sunday) = Stormcrow Burning
May 27th = Memorial Day.
May 27 - June 1 (Monday -Saturday) = Stormcrow Pride [Ferndale Pride on Saturday]
June 1 = The Conjurer summons an Abyssal during Ferndale Pride, anchoring it with a human sacrifice
June 1 - 9 = Crystal Death [Motor City Pride]
June 1 = Chad overdoes on Crystal Death at Leland City Club.
June 3 = first Crow Tales, featuring Frankenstein
June 8 = second Crow Tales, featuring This Spell For Hire. January stops the Death Dealer. Blood Raven humiliates Nazis at Motor City Pride
June 9 = Nazis on Crystal Death attack Motor City Pride
June 11 = January records interview with WNN.
June 13 = January quits working at the dojo, starts working on Artemis Argent with Rus
June 14 = January's interview is aired in its entirety, as well as in print and on WNN's website. It generates massive waves of both support and backlash against her. The same night she faces off against Gola at Eloise.

People
January Ward / Stormcrow (RL Georgie Stone)

January again

Avery Green / Gadget (RL Shameik Moore)

Avery again

General inspiration for Lighthammer (except most of his head is covered by a helmet)

Lighthammer (out of armor)

Blood Raven cosplay

The writer signing books

Cyborg cosplay

Carl Sagan

Metro Boomin

Gabriella Wilson

Cecilia Brækhus

Blood Raven on the rooftop

Barbara Ward (January's mom) (RL Amy Davidson)

Romulus Ward (January's dad) (RL Anthony Heald)

Julian Ward (January's brother) (RL Gabriel Mann)

BlackJack (Jacob Scwartz)

Ibroham Alawar is based on RL Ibrahim Alawad

The Man Living In The Packard Plant

Sam Bernstein

Archimedes

Ken Hite

Fire Captain Henderson

Fire Lieutenant Randy

Chase

Society
Hipsters (big in Detroit)

New Year's Eve In Detroit (been there, its true)

Indians Take Over Diamond Trade

Whitewater Security is based on RL Blackwater Security aka Academi

Worldwide Network News is fictional, based on HPLHS's Worldwide Wireless News

Bat'leth

Stormcrow BattleMech

Stormcrow BattleMech Pic

A TERF is an anti-trangender feminist

The Tigers and the Old English D

The Laughing Man is an homage to Ghost In The Shell

Four Twenty

Berenstain Bears

Michigan has a 10 cent bottle return law

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy

Instagram Influencer

"I Am A Golden God!"

King Arthur 2004 Rus!

The Real Portal Games have not reached #5 yet

The Kell Hounds

Trail of Cthulhu

Daredevil's Sensory Powers

Shoggoth

Xenomorph

Tunguska Event

Literature and Art
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus

The Theme of Alienation in Frankenstein

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken

Festival is a reference to The Festival, by HP Lovecraft

Anglo-Saxon Kennings

Macbeth Act5, Scene 5 (A Tale Told By An Idiot quote)

Trajan's Column

The Bayeux Tapestry

John William Waterhouse - The Crystal Ball

Music
Vnv Nation - Illusion - One of January's theme songs

Two Steps From Hell - Never Back Down (Extended) - January's Fight Music

Gary Clark Jr. - If Trouble Was Money (Avery's ringtone)

The Score - Unstoppable - Avery's Theme

Two Steps From Hell - Blackheart (Extended) - Blood Raven's Theme

Blood Raven's Fight Music

Marilyn Manson - Resident Evil Soundtrack Main Theme - The Summoner's Theme

Gustav Holst - Mars - Nátthrafn's Theme

Counting Crows - Four Days

Clips of Amelie Lens' performance at the 2019 Movement Festival

Orbital

Counting Crows - Mr Jones

Counting Crows - A Long December

Places
A Google Map of all the Stormcrow locations

Macomb Community College - South Campus

Macomb Community College classroom quad, library, and parking

The Best Western Premiere of Southfield

Hotel Pic 01

Hotel Pic 02

Campus Martius

Michigan Soldier's and Sailor's Monument

U of M Law School

January's Parents House

January's Parents House Aerial View

Flint Bishop Airport

Flint Airport aerial view

Flint Airport - A closer view of the terminal and parking lot

Flint Airport - The reverse view, from a model in the airport

Flint Airport - The terminal

Flint Airport - The baggage pickup inside the terminal. The escalator and Ticketing are visible in the middle distance

Flint Airport - The escalator that January leaps up to the second floor

Flint Airport - Gift Shop and Bookstore on the right

Flint Airport - The Food Court on the left

Flint Airport - Do Not Enter sign far down the hall

Packard Plant - The Poletown Bus Stop (well close enough to it)

Packard Plant - The Bus Stop from the air (the Hamtramck Cadillac Plant is on the right. Smaller steel mills on the left)

Packard Plant - The bridge overI-94 and the Packard Plant (beyond in the left)

Parkard Plant - The Packard Plant

Packard Plant - The Packard Plant aerial view

Packard Plant - Another aerial view

Packard Plant - A closer look from above

Packard Plant - Down on the ground

Packard Plant - Summer

Packard Plant - Winter

Packard Plant - Another building

Packard Plant - Inside

Bloomfield Hills

Fitzgerald High School

Aerial View of Source One Metals (it is the big white building at the very bottom center)

Source One Metals (from the turnaround in Mound Road)

Source One Metals (from the parking lot)

Source One Metals (from the back)

MSU is Michigan State University

U of M is University of Michigan

The Lower Peninsula of Michigan

Macomb Community College (the Max Thompson Learning Media Center is the library)

The high school January lands on

The giant factory beyond 696 she lands on

Global Titanium from the air

A closer view of the battleground

Global Titanium from the ground

Global Titanium from the ground again

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 01

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 02

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 03

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 04 (Her Bus Stop before the Packard Plant)

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 05

January's Route To The Junkman's Lair 06

Beatrice Grand Trunk Warehouse & Cold Storage Building

The Junkman's Lair, adjacent scrapyard, and City Incinerator (top)

The Junkman's Lair, adjacent scrapyard, and City Incinerator (left)

The Junkman's Lair 01

The Junkman's Lair 02

The Junkman's Lair 03

Saint Andrews Hall

Hart Plaza

Hart Plaza (seen from Jefferson at the bottom, looking toward the Detroit River at the top)

Hart Plaza - Fountain

Hart Plaza (seen from the river looking toward Jefferson Ave and downtown)

Hart Plaza (looking north from Cobo Hall at the bottom)

Hart Plaza (looking south)

The Fist of Joe Louis

The Spirit of Detroit

The Joe Louis Arena

January's Route to the Fire 1 - Cobo Hall Rooftop Parking, looking north

January's Route to the Fire 2 - Fort Washington Plaza

January's Route to the Fire 3 - Theodore Levin Courthouse

January's Route to the Fire 4 - Westin Book Cadillac Hotel

January's Route to the Fire 5 - Book Tower

January's Route to the Fire 6 - Three Stadiums

January's Route to the Fire 7 - Foxtown

January's Route to the Fire 8 - Little Caesar's Arena

January's Route to the Fire 9 - Midtown and the Flying Dutchman at the corner of Peterboro and Cass

The Flying Dutchman (RL Ghost Ship Fire)

The Flying Dutchman Interior

Detroit Receiving Hospital

Detroit Receiving Hospital picture

The Witch House

The Witch House Overhead View

Real Events
ConFusion is a real Metro-Detroit sci fi convention.

Hart Plaza - Movement Event Map

Movement Electronic Music Festival

The Movement Electronic Music Festival picture

Another Movement pic

Clothes
Lululemon Fitted Jacket

Ohm's Law Shirt

Cthulhu For President

Made In Detroit Tee

Karategi

Ms Marvel Tee

Real Tech
Fire 7 Tablet

Samsung Galaxy J1

Geo Storm

Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycles

Cosmos

Picking a combination lock

Make an electric lockpick

Victory Empulse TT Review

Victory Empulse TT Pic

Victory Empulse Side View

Victory Empulse TT With Panniers

Victory Empulse TT Instrument Panel

Bell Helmet (it really is from the 1950s)

January's new Sedici Strada Carino helmet

2004 Mazda MX 5

Raven Banner Pendant

2004 Chevy Avalanche

Real Science
Ohm's Law

Hagfish

Hagfish Slime Armor

Solid Light

Voynich Manuscript

Vigenère Cipher

Principles of Flight

Laser Inertial Fusion Energy

Ultra Dense Deuterium

Plasma

Tesseract

Wilhelm Wundt

Meta Tech
Stormcrow Armor ideas (but black and gray, and more of the face covered)

Another Stormcrow Armor general idea (but the real armor would not have all that hair exposed)

Winged Helmet (but January's would be black, and the face would be covered down to the nose)

Think of the upper right goggles area built into the winged helmet above

Stormcrow Armor Symbol

The onboard computer in the Gadgetmobile is named after the Pharos Lighthouse

The Face Bot

The Face Bot again

The Face Bot rear view

Myth and Religion
Oshun

Erzulie

Martial Arts & Gymnastics
Muay Thai - Downward Jumping Elbow

Yoga Crow Pose

Yoga Scorpion Pose

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Acadian
post Jun 15 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

January shows us plenty of raw emotion in this powerful episode.

Good thing she has that punching bag to help drain some of her frustrations. I was pleased to see her working out with her mother and have someone to at least share some of those frustrations with. Poor thing seems like she just wants to be the ‘girl next door’ and, instead, is a superheroine trapped in the wrong flavor body!

Buffy was recently traveling Murkmire in the Black Marsh and encountered an Argonian who explained that he had been born a she and it was neither unusual nor unnatural for some Argonians to commune with the Hist, relay their desires and emerge with a full gender change - no physical trauma or social drama. Made me think of January and the ever so much more challenging path she faces.

Nice touch revealing how January used to be August!

Batman had the bat light that Commissioner Gordon would put up into the sky when it was time for the caped crusader to spring into action. Gadget has his own special ringtone as a call to action for the Stromcrow!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SubRosa   The Stormcrow   Apr 19 2019, 11:34 PM
SubRosa   [b]Chapter 1 - Stormcrow Rising [center]Early May...   Apr 20 2019, 12:04 AM
Renee   Hee hee, this is awesome! She's doing medi...   Apr 20 2019, 02:21 PM
SubRosa   Hee hee, this is awesome! She's doing med...   Apr 20 2019, 03:27 PM
Acadian   Oh this was a hoot! January, her crow fan cl...   Apr 20 2019, 06:32 PM
Grits   I’m very excited to see Stormcrow so soon! (...   Apr 22 2019, 06:17 PM
SubRosa   Renee: I went to MCC for a while, so it was my go-...   Apr 26 2019, 04:32 PM
Acadian   ’Naturally she did what they said to never do....   Apr 26 2019, 06:33 PM
Grits   Awesome, a fight and flying sequence! I though...   Apr 28 2019, 11:29 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Courage + questionable judgement sounds l...   May 3 2019, 09:35 PM
Acadian   I’ll take your wonderful Two Steps from Hell mus...   May 8 2019, 07:31 PM
Renee   Whoa, she's wearing her superhero outfit in pu...   May 9 2019, 03:55 PM
SubRosa   All: I created a Google Map of all the Stormcrow l...   May 10 2019, 10:05 PM
Acadian   Neat Gadget Cave! Replete with ingenious tech...   May 11 2019, 09:10 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: The Gadget Cave is a fun setting. I have ...   May 17 2019, 04:41 PM
Acadian   What a fun episode, as the plot thickens with more...   May 17 2019, 09:54 PM
Renee   There's a Beverly Hills in Michigan! I u...   May 24 2019, 07:07 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Now we know that things were not quite as...   May 24 2019, 10:18 PM
Acadian   This was a wonderful episode that sleuthed the sto...   May 25 2019, 06:41 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: Working in the pop culture references is ...   Jun 1 2019, 05:09 PM
Acadian   "I think I forgot to pick that at character ...   Jun 1 2019, 07:17 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: One fun thing about writing January and A...   Jun 8 2019, 04:52 PM
Acadian   Clever how she got her Crowsuit into the house. ...   Jun 8 2019, 10:38 PM
Uleni Athram   A superheroine who actually knows her Marty Arties...   Jun 11 2019, 03:27 PM
Renee   Ah, typical Renee has fallen behind. :blink: Life...   Jun 11 2019, 04:30 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I used the old window trick to sneak thin...   Jun 15 2019, 04:58 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: That was a very intense episode, that giv...   Jun 22 2019, 04:28 PM
Acadian   Nice job here, setting the scene and stakes for wh...   Jun 22 2019, 07:18 PM
treydog   The way you weave “existing” tech in with poss...   Jun 24 2019, 05:46 PM
Renee   Nice. Also, the whole time her family's ha...   Jun 24 2019, 06:52 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: This will be the crescendo of the chapter...   Jun 29 2019, 04:15 PM
Acadian   Despite the superhero tech, you rendered everythin...   Jun 29 2019, 06:21 PM
treydog   Most excellent fight scene! And again, very h...   Jun 30 2019, 12:34 AM
SubRosa   Ooops, I forgot to add some links. I went back and...   Jun 30 2019, 06:48 PM
Acadian   Thanks for the additional links and update. I ...   Jun 30 2019, 07:36 PM
treydog   I tend to agree. While on the one hand, it is fun...   Jun 30 2019, 08:33 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: That Carotid Slap was something I filed a...   Jul 6 2019, 03:49 PM
Acadian   Another intense fight! It was very neat how ...   Jul 6 2019, 06:38 PM
treydog   A most enthralling fight! Then there is the d...   Jul 8 2019, 04:36 PM
Grits   Catching up with January and Avery has been quite ...   Jul 12 2019, 12:28 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: This two part fight forced me to think cr...   Jul 13 2019, 05:08 PM
Renee   Lighthammer has force fields! That's cheat...   Jul 13 2019, 06:34 PM
Acadian   It just struck when you referred to January as Jan...   Jul 13 2019, 07:46 PM
SubRosa   As an editorial note, given that I have decided to...   Jul 13 2019, 11:56 PM
treydog   A nice bit of calm after the Stormcrow (sorry). B...   Jul 15 2019, 12:19 AM
SubRosa   Side note- still looking at early Boston. Did fi...   Jul 15 2019, 02:50 AM
SubRosa   I bought Boston in the American Revolution: A Town...   Jul 17 2019, 02:03 AM
Grits   Excellent shirt! I’m a fan, even if Freya do...   Jul 17 2019, 03:28 AM
Renee   “fine-toothed search bot” :lol: Ha ha I li...   Jul 17 2019, 03:40 PM
SubRosa   Renee: Lighthammer's not a cheater! :lol:...   Jul 20 2019, 05:06 PM
treydog   The thing (okay ONE thing) I like about this story...   Jul 20 2019, 07:15 PM
Acadian   The bus ride and encounter did a couple of things ...   Jul 20 2019, 09:35 PM
Renee   I think I want an African Goddess next to me, if I...   Jul 21 2019, 02:12 AM
Grits   Not Cthululemon? :P Good idea to stash the backpac...   Jul 23 2019, 01:10 AM
SubRosa   treydog: Inserting the human element into these st...   Jul 27 2019, 04:35 PM
Renee   :lol: Yes, how apt a description, the handing ...   Jul 27 2019, 04:51 PM
Acadian   A superbike for a superhero - hopefully. Unfortun...   Jul 27 2019, 11:00 PM
treydog   Quotes first and then observations. Have known...   Jul 28 2019, 03:06 PM
SubRosa   Renee: I had no idea the 'Gucci Biker' lin...   Aug 3 2019, 04:35 PM
Acadian   A nuclear powered Stormcycle emerges from the Gadg...   Aug 3 2019, 07:47 PM
Renee   He put a nuclear reactor in her motorcycle? :O ...   Aug 4 2019, 12:30 AM
treydog   :lol: Loved all the dialogue- this is the way...   Aug 4 2019, 01:05 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1 - Stormcrow Rising What a great way to...   Aug 6 2019, 02:30 AM
SubRosa   Acadian: I did a lot of work on developing power s...   Aug 10 2019, 04:13 PM
Renee   Yes, I was thinking of buses. :) Fusion-powered ...   Aug 10 2019, 05:43 PM
Acadian   This episode drew me in immediately and was a joy ...   Aug 10 2019, 07:53 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.2: I get what you mean. The crows did i...   Aug 10 2019, 09:41 PM
treydog   :blink: Jan is certainly in a position to und...   Aug 10 2019, 10:43 PM
SubRosa   Renee: This chapter is set about a week after the ...   Aug 17 2019, 05:07 PM
Acadian   The beginning of another Crowventure assigned to h...   Aug 17 2019, 09:03 PM
Renee   Yeah, totally. He's like that voice over the...   Aug 18 2019, 03:05 PM
treydog   " The interactions between Gadget and Cro...   Aug 18 2019, 03:47 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.3: I like how you mentioned how deep-ro...   Aug 19 2019, 02:17 AM
SubRosa   Acadian: I had not really thought of doing more be...   Aug 24 2019, 04:32 PM
Acadian   Thanks for your peek/insight into the future of th...   Aug 24 2019, 06:44 PM
treydog   More excellent Crow-Girl action! The fight wa...   Aug 25 2019, 10:11 PM
Renee   Nice. She plays Fallout (or at least knows of this...   Aug 27 2019, 08:16 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I enjoyed writing the fight between Janua...   Aug 31 2019, 04:23 PM
Renee   Yes there is some reason why our armed forces ofte...   Aug 31 2019, 07:01 PM
Acadian   Another wonderful episode! I liked how her ...   Sep 1 2019, 07:29 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.4: There was plenty in this chapter that...   Sep 2 2019, 03:06 AM
SubRosa   Renee: Gasoline is much quicker to burn and explod...   Sep 7 2019, 04:15 PM
Acadian   Gosh, I'm learning a lot about Michigan and De...   Sep 7 2019, 07:17 PM
Renee   We recycle. At least I do. Where I live it seems l...   Sep 9 2019, 12:16 AM
treydog   A lesson my A and A team are learning (slowly). ...   Sep 9 2019, 01:13 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.7: Heh. Good question honestly. What is ...   Sep 14 2019, 01:55 AM
SubRosa   Acadian: I know you were joking, but the reason I ...   Sep 14 2019, 05:30 PM
Acadian   With a name like Wilhelm Wundt, it is indeed hard ...   Sep 14 2019, 08:31 PM
treydog   Way back when we were reading Gawain and the Green...   Sep 15 2019, 09:15 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: I still remember my Into to Psychology cl...   Sep 21 2019, 03:33 PM
Renee   Yeah, I don't think she'd be able to conce...   Sep 21 2019, 04:34 PM
Acadian   Another fun episode as you ever so smoothly show u...   Sep 22 2019, 12:09 AM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 1.10: Great thing you provided us with th...   Sep 24 2019, 02:51 AM
SubRosa   Renee: You are right, even if she tried to ignore ...   Sep 28 2019, 04:58 PM
Acadian   Looks like the stealth approach was a good call as...   Sep 28 2019, 07:45 PM
Renee   See, where is Lighthammer during all of this? It m...   Sep 29 2019, 03:27 AM
treydog   Caught up again- yay! And also phooey, becaus...   Sep 30 2019, 11:30 AM
SubRosa   A minor note. Thanks to tredyog correctly identify...   Oct 2 2019, 10:02 PM
Darkness Eternal   Chapter 2.1:Ah, Jan has been meeting some ladies a...   Oct 4 2019, 03:33 AM
10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:20 PM