192 Pages V « < 190 191 192  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
SubRosa
post Feb 11 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #3821

Ancient
Group Icon

I dusted off my Monk dvds, and watched the first episode. Thanks to my 4k tv, I noticed something I never had before. In several scenes a person knocks on someone's front door, and they show it from the pov of the person inside looking out at the visitor. The street scenes of traffic and the like outside were all done green screen. I never noticed that on a regular tv, or even and HD tv. But in 4k, it is just so obvious. Another example of the downsides of 4k.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #3822

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 04:14 PM) *

I dusted off my Monk dvds, and watched the first episode. Thanks to my 4k tv, I noticed something I never had before. In several scenes a person knocks on someone's front door, and they show it from the pov of the person inside looking out at the visitor. The street scenes of traffic and the like outside were all done green screen. I never noticed that on a regular tv, or even and HD tv. But in 4k, it is just so obvious. Another example of the downsides of 4k.

Isn't that odd! Since the show was made long before the 4K TV's, I guess they never realized that one day technology would unblur those scenes or something, lol. I've never yet seen the pilot; always seem to miss it whenever the cable channels around here run that series every year.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 12 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #3823

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 11 2020, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 04:14 PM) *

Isn't that odd! Since the show was made long before the 4K TV's, I guess they never realized that one day technology would unblur those scenes or something, lol. I've never yet seen the pilot; always seem to miss it whenever the cable channels around here run that series every year.

It is just a side effect of having such a high resolution. You see every tiny little thing, stuff that is invisible at lower resolutions like high definition or standard definition.

I have also been watching a BBC special about Charles I and the English Civil War. Every time they mention Parliament I keep thinking of this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 12 2020, 12:41 AM
Post #3824

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 11 2020, 06:30 PM) *

I have also been watching a BBC special about Charles I and the English Civil War. Every time they mention Parliament I keep thinking of this.

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 12 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #3825

Master
Group Icon

Amongst my (too?) many recent YouTube watchings, much of which is centered on the debacle that is the Democratic (party) primaries and their demonic 'coverage' by Mainstream Media, I took a break to see a charming Buster Keaton silent era comedy:

One Week (YouTube)

As it concerns a newlywed couple and a house, I suppose it could be labeled 'domestic comedy.' I'd not seen it before, except for a clip from the finale used in several compilation videos.

Am also watching most of Steve Donoghue's 'BookTube' episodes as they are released. How he finds time to put out multiple episodes a day while reading sometimes 100-plus books a month is incomprehensible to me. Even in my reading 'prime' a good year saw me read between 50 and 60 novel-length books. Nowadays 20 to 30 is more the norm, despite having practically unlimited reading time available. (Part of it is due to aches and pains while lying down, which is how I always 'seriously' read. Part of it finding it ever harder to retain focus any length of time.) Heck, if correct trends continue I might not hit 20 this year, considering we're nearly halfway through Feb and I've two finished books to my credit.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 12 2020, 03:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 16 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #3826

Master
Group Icon

Been watching a lot of Netflix lately.

A couple of series of notes:

Prison Playbook, a Korean dramedy (or black comedy, if you prefer), about a star pitcher who is sentenced to a year in jail for excessive assault in apprehending a rapist who attacked his sister. It's about how he adjusted to life in prison, made friends, and generally did things for others. I really enjoyed the character development in this series - I really can't point to any one character and say yeah, that's a cardboard cutout. I learned a lot about writing secondary characters from this series. There were many moments that made me laugh out loud for their black humor, which I love and enjoy. I got really invested in the lives and choices of each prison mate, the guards closest to them, and their loved ones outside the prison.

Locke and Key, a supernatural drama I imagine is on the order of Stranger Things, which I haven't yet watched. It has elements of Poe, Stephen King and even a bit of Lovecraft mixed up in it. I especially liked how the different keys unlocked different gifts behind each respective door. The ending left me feeling like a setup for more, but that's okay.

Currently I'm watching Ragnarok, NOT the movie with Chris Helmsworth, but a Norwegian series set in a small fjord town called (are you ready?) Edda. Apparently, according to the stories, the gods all died in the mythical Ragnarok, but no one knows what happened to the Giants. Well, let me just say this: there's a strong element of environmental/Gaia evangelism going on here. I promised myself I would just watch one episode just to get a feeling for it, but ended up watching four and being up past midnight. Whew, that's more than half the series, I think!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Today, 02:29 AM
Post #3827

Master
Group Icon

Just finished watching the 1948 film adaptation of Oliver Twist. Hadn't seen it before. Very very impressive in every aspect. It appeared amongst today's YouTube recommendations. I clicked on it not knowing what to expect. Was immediately grabbed by its music score, which turns out to have been written by Sir Arnold Bax, a heavyweight 'classical' music composer of his day. By the time the credits revealed the composer's name (at their tail-end) I was sold.

OLIVER TWIST, 1948 (Movie, YouTube)

--------------------
+Quote Post

192 Pages V « < 190 191 192
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2020 - 02:11 PM