9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skyrim CK Experimenting, Post Your CK Fun Here:
Acadian
post Dec 17 2015, 09:23 PM
Post #141

Paladin
Group Icon

Grits, I read to Buffy how well the stone has worked out for Jerric. Her reaction?

IPB Image

wub.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 18 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #142

Councilor
Group Icon

That is a pretty neat idea; a magic stone which recharges its own magicka.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 23 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #143

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 17 2015, 03:23 PM) *

Grits, I read to Buffy how well the stone has worked out for Jerric. Her reaction?

IPB Image

wub.gif

GAAAAAAH, you made a mod and didn't tell me? Awesome!!! What other mods have you kept secret? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 23 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #144

Paladin
Group Icon

No no. I just came up the the idea to support the letter Buffy sent gifting Jerric with a (pretend) stone as described and quoted by Grits. It was Grits who applied her magicks to the CK and actually brought the stone to life in Jerric's game. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 23 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #145

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Dec 23 2015, 07:59 AM) *

No no. I just came up the the idea to support the letter Buffy sent gifting Jerric with a (pretend) stone as described and quoted by Grits. It was Grits who applied her magicks to the CK and actually brought the stone to life in Jerric's game. smile.gif

Oh, WHEW! Okay, have to go make all the necessary corrections in my diary...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 20 2016, 11:43 PM
Post #146

Councilor
Group Icon

Here’s the spell I’m having problems with today: Summon Katria for 120 seconds.

I’ve made it a Conjuration Apprentice level spell so that it’s accessible to anyone with the base amount of magicka. There’s no quest condition or script to add the spell automatically, you just add the spell or tome with the console at the player’s discretion. Summoned Katria is a level 40 new NPC so as not to cause trouble with the real Katria. She is ghostly and has the correct combat style and equipment.

The trouble is that she doesn’t speak at all. She is not a follower so she won’t have any follower dialog, but I want her to use the combat taunts that she uses when she’s fighting at the player’s side during the questline. The Summonable Katria uses Katria’s voice type.

I’m over my head if there are checks in the dialog to see if Katria is saying the taunts, the way Marcurio is the only one who will say some of the lines in his voice type.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 21 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #147

Ancient
Group Icon

I am not expert on dialog, but I would think that so long as you had her Voice Type set to DLC1LD_FemaleNordUniqueKatria that would be enough.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 21 2016, 03:00 AM
Post #148

Councilor
Group Icon

I took a quick look and her Detection dialogue is conditioned on GetIsAliasRef for Alias:Katria but it's curiously shared, even though she's only in one quest.

That means you can use it, but you may have to add a dialog quest if she's not already connected to one. If her alias is Katria in your quest, she may just use it anyway, or else you can copy her topics over to yours.

It's possible to make any existing dialog shared but it's much simpler when that's already the case.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 21 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #149

Councilor
Group Icon

Aha, thank you very much! Sounds promising, I need to dig in and learn some new things. I’ve done trainer dialog for some NPCs, but that’s it. Refreshing my memory of that is a good place to start.

I wonder if it is set up as shared because there was a plan to make her summonable at the end of the quests, like Arniel’s Shade. I’ve never had a character who completed Arniel’s Endeavor, funnily enough. The uesp page says his shade uses zombie dialog, which sounds disappointing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 2 2016, 12:49 AM
Post #150

Ancient
Group Icon

It was a lot of work, but I was able to make the Winterhold Home I made for my grown up Sofie and Lucia's games and make it Hearthfire/adoption compatible. This article details how.

I also had to use the Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions mod, and use the Bless House spell it provides to set the home as my official house. I tried it without the mod, but the game would not give me the option to adopt. My guess is that there is a setting somewhere that tells the game what your house is, and with a modded house that never gets updated.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 2 2016, 01:12 AM
Post #151

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 1 2016, 07:49 PM) *

It was a lot of work, but I was able to make the Winterhold Home I made for my grown up Sofie and Lucia's games and make it Hearthfire/adoption compatible. This article details how.

I also had to use the Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions mod, and use the Bless House spell it provides to set the home as my official house. I tried it without the mod, but the game would not give me the option to adopt. My guess is that there is a setting somewhere that tells the game what your house is, and with a modded house that never gets updated.

Yeah, I used that list as a guideline in making my house mod; but used all vanilla or modded items so someone that didn't have Hearthfire might still be able to use the mod - (actually, at the time I made the mod I didn't have Hearthfire myself so kind of had to, lol). I didn't know about the "setting the house as home" for the adoptions issues till later on, and didn't know how to fix it.

I just really wish they had made cuter children in Skyrim, (like they made for Fallout 3).

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 2 2016, 01:17 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #152

Councilor
Group Icon

My guess is that there is a setting somewhere that tells the game what your house is, and with a modded house that never gets updated.

The problem is that the vanilla DLC method of completing the adoption is connected to the "I have a house in xxx" dialogs, and each of those tests for the Hearthfires or vanilla homes, making it hard to extend. If they'd used a Formlist that could be added to, then it would have been a lot easier.

Hearthfires was definitely not designed for extensibility or mods. There are way too many places where they put in fixed-size lists instead of using formlists, and there's a lot of code that has "If Lakeview ... else if Windstad ..." rather than "if house.InList(xxx)".

They also missed a lot of opportunities for global settings. There could have been a single "PlayerHasHouse" Boolean to control things, but the code usually tests ownership of each known house individually. It's a lot less efficient, and once again, harder to extend. I had to clone a lot of scripts that should have just been re-usable because of this poor style. The flags for site ownerships are held in each house script, so those all have to be properties of anything that wants to test them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 16 2016, 09:24 AM
Post #153

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 2 2016, 09:59 AM) *

My guess is that there is a setting somewhere that tells the game what your house is, and with a modded house that never gets updated.

The problem is that the vanilla DLC method of completing the adoption is connected to the "I have a house in xxx" dialogs, and each of those tests for the Hearthfires or vanilla homes, making it hard to extend. If they'd used a Formlist that could be added to, then it would have been a lot easier.

Hearthfires was definitely not designed for extensibility or mods. There are way too many places where they put in fixed-size lists instead of using formlists, and there's a lot of code that has "If Lakeview ... else if Windstad ..." rather than "if house.InList(xxx)".

They also missed a lot of opportunities for global settings. There could have been a single "PlayerHasHouse" Boolean to control things, but the code usually tests ownership of each known house individually. It's a lot less efficient, and once again, harder to extend. I had to clone a lot of scripts that should have just been re-usable because of this poor style. The flags for site ownerships are held in each house script, so those all have to be properties of anything that wants to test them.

Can the scripts be altered by a mod without breaking the DLC? Either adding your house to that list or as you said - simplifying it to point to a list rather than each particular house?

I am kind of reminded of some of the issues with ownership in Oblivion; though I can't remember if it was horses or Inn rental rooms - just remember I had to go to numerous places and add something I made to a list in order for it to work right in the game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 16 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #154

Councilor
Group Icon

Yes, it's possible to change the scripts, but then another mod can change them again and wipe your changes out. And I was creating multiple mods, so I'd probably do that to myself.

I had those problems with the Orc Child mod. The various other "extra kids" mods overwrote base files I was using, and so broke mine. I ended up cloning all she uses as uniquely hers.

The only safe things to do are use the vanilla assets unchanged, or supply a completely new one. I've always had issues of some variety when changing a base asset.

Sometimes you have no choice. You may have to replace a skeleton with an enhanced one to get wings on the player, as chargen requires that all playable races use the same one. If you want female Orcs to walk like women, you have to change the race template, etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 16 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #155

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 16 2016, 08:29 AM) *

Yes, it's possible to change the scripts, but then another mod can change them again and wipe your changes out. And I was creating multiple mods, so I'd probably do that to myself.

I had those problems with the Orc Child mod. The various other "extra kids" mods overwrote base files I was using, and so broke mine. I ended up cloning all she uses as uniquely hers.

The only safe things to do are use the vanilla assets unchanged, or supply a completely new one. I've always had issues of some variety when changing a base asset.

Sometimes you have no choice. You may have to replace a skeleton with an enhanced one to get wings on the player, as chargen requires that all playable races use the same one. If you want female Orcs to walk like women, you have to change the race template, etc.

Oh, I understand. I guess then you would be stuck having to make patches every time another mod overwrote your changes or something?

I really don't enjoy Papyrus at all. I Loved the C++ or whatever Oblivion used, but ... just plain hate Papyrus.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 26 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #156

Councilor
Group Icon

I've had a number of (XBox1) users of my mods complain about not getting couriers, and I've just had the same problem myself in a game where none of my Hearthfires mods is loaded. The general issue that the couriers just don't appear, so I went looking for an article anywhere that laid out the process, and provided a systematic approach to finding out what went wrong. Of course, there isn't one, so I'll have to do it myself.

---

Most couriers will be using the built-in WICourier quest, which gets started by the ChangeLocation event. The Story Manager will check if there's anything in the mail that needs delivering. If there is, it starts the quest to spawn a courier within range of the player and he seeks you out and delivers.

So the first thing to do was see if the WICourier quest is running. Usually it's not, either because the player didn't trigger the ChangeLocation yet, or it didn't fire when it should. That doesn't tell you anything. But the quest variables include the ID of the "mailbox" container that quests add their letters to, so you can use "showinventory" on that to see what's in the mail. There's also a global WICourierItemCount that will be non-zero if you have pending mail. It's probably worth checking both, as discrepancies between those could be a clue to any problem. The Story Manager start condition checks the count, rather than looking in the container. The actual content provides a clue as to which quest broke something.

There's also a possibility that the courier couldn't catch the player and timed out. That will be apparent from the quest showing a stage of 200 from its last attempt. Usually he spawns on the road ahead of you, and there's no problem, but the devs did allow for the exceptions.

If there's nothing to deliver, then you need to check the quests that should have sent one. You need some details about the quests themselves, as some will have a letter already in the inventory of the sender from the start of the game, and others will create it in a quest fragment right at the point where it's sent. So the presence of the letter's ID in the quest variables doesn't always mean anything. But if it's "NONE", that probably does.

There are settings to enable logging of Script and Story Manager processing. Both are likely to be needed - the script log will show failures in the quest script that adds the letter to the mailbox, and the SM log will show if the courier quest was started when it should have been, and hopefully why not.

And none of this can be done on XBox1, where the SM is easily subverted by one mod failing to pass on the event to other mods.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 13 2022, 02:26 PM
Post #157

Councilor
Group Icon

Hello, anybody here?? unsure.gif I have this idea for a quest moment and need some help getting it implemented.

Basically, an NPC gets killed in his sleep, but not by another NPC and not by my character. Or... perhaps the NPC gets killed when my character goes to sleep. sleep.gif Question is: can anybody think of an example from one of Bethesda's quests when something like this happens? ... If so, then I'll be able to study how Beth did it.

Edit: oh yah, and i got cake. cake.gif See?

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 13 2022, 02:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Jan 13 2022, 02:40 PM
Post #158

Mouth
Group Icon

Hey Renee, I'm not entirely clear what you are trying to do. An NPC gets killed in his sleep by what? A bear? A lightning? Divine intervention? And why is that important?

Or, you say, may be an NPC gets killed when the player character goes to sleep. Now, that makes more sense. But this is easy to do. Check any quest that does something when you go to sleep - in Oblivion I'd say for example when Lachance visits you after you killed an innocent person. I imagine there's something similar in Skyrim too. Then just put in your own content at that point (instead of inviting you into the Dark Brotherhood, you are being dragged off to jail for murder, for example).

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 13 2022, 05:02 PM
Post #159

Councilor
Group Icon

An NPC gets killed by script. It's important because there's supposed to be some mystery. Who exactly killed this fellow? Nobody knows at first, so my character initially gets accused & imprisoned. emot-ninja1.gif

This is easy to do in the CS... extremely easy. Just assign a Reference ID to the NPC in question, then put some script like

If (IsPCSleeping == 1) && (other random condition)
aaaNPCRef.Kill

EndIF

Something like that.

I imagine there's something similar in Skyrim too. Then just put in your own content at that point (instead of inviting you into the Dark Brotherhood, you are being dragged off to jail for murder, for example).

Correct, I have had a look at the Dark Brotherhood sleeping scenario, but that involves teleporting the player-character to that cabin (I forget its name), not anybody getting killed while the player is sleeping. I need an example of somebody actually getting killed by script in the game, while the player sleeps, if there is one. I basically need that script, if there is one. If Beth has already done something like this, it makes the scripting process so much easier, you see.

I mean... there's the chance I am forging new ground here. laugh.gif That I am on my own. Once again.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 13 2022, 05:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 13 2022, 06:23 PM
Post #160

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Jan 13 2022, 10:02 AM) *

An NPC gets killed by script. It's important because there's supposed to be some mystery. Who exactly killed this fellow? Nobody knows at first, so my character initially gets accused & imprisoned. emot-ninja1.gif

This is easy to do in the CS... extremely easy. Just assign a Reference ID to the NPC in question, then put some script like

If (IsPCSleeping == 1) && (other random condition)
aaaNPCRef.Kill

EndIF

Something like that.
(snip)

Is there an interaction between player and NPC prior to the NPC’s murder? I think it would be easier to start the script if there is an opening dialog option with the intended victim. I would imagine it working something like this:

1. Go to a certain inn, rent a room for the night,
2. spot the bar wench (SuzzieQueNPC1v1) and say, “Hey baby why don’t you come up and see me sometime.”
3. Retire to your room and go to sleep (disable SuzzieQueNPC1v1).
4. Next morning you wake up and find her (SuzzieQueNPC1v2) dead in the hallway, arrow in the back.
5. Search body to find a cryptic note warning you of something nefarious (activates guards).
6. Guards arrive and haul you off to jail.
7. You hear voices outside your cell Captain Renault orders you up against the wall and before you know it you’re caught up in the Oblivion Crisis or whatever crisis is at hand (Revenge of the Feyfolken).

Yeah I know, I have no idea of what I’m talking about but it sounds like the way PrinceShroob’s Main Quest Delayer starts the Oblivion MQ by simply get arrested in the Imperial City and choosing to go to jail (as long as “Scheduled for Execution” is not currently active). That may be of some help.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:16 PM