71 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you reading?
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Wizard
Group Icon

Right now I'm about to start a new book actually, but I'm a bit torn. I've got the Appeal from John Grisham, American gods by Neil Gaimann and the first Shannara books by Terry Brooks. All were acquired on my recent trip to Orlando, and I'm not sure which to begin with tbh as all are quite appealing smile.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Apr 8 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alexander @ Apr 8 2008, 06:01 PM) *

Right now I'm about to start a new book actually, but I'm a bit torn. I've got the Appeal from John Grisham, American gods by Neil Gaimann and the first Shannara books by Terry Brooks. All were acquired on my recent trip to Orlando, and I'm not sure which to begin with tbh as all are quite appealing smile.gif

American Gods is superb, one of the better urban fantasy books I've read for years. Mind you, Gaiman can be an acquired taste. Have you read him before?
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #3

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Apr 8 2008, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Alexander @ Apr 8 2008, 06:01 PM) *

American Gods is superb, one of the better urban fantasy books I've read for years. Mind you, Gaiman can be an acquired taste. Have you read him before?

Never, but I've seen his books around and from what the back of the book told me, it sounded quite interesting. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Apr 8 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #4

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alexander @ Apr 8 2008, 06:04 PM) *

Never, but I've seen his books around and from what the back of the book told me, it sounded quite interesting. smile.gif

Oh it is. It's a very impressive, creative and well written book. I loved it anyway biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 8 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Alexander- it kind of depends on the kind of reader you are. Grisham tends to be fast, good- and a little forgettable when it is over. American Gods is excellent, in a dark and surprising way. Gaiman really weaves a lot of Western mythos into it. Brooks--- I found somewhat disappointing. Granted that was some 20 years ago, and my impression might be different now. If it was me, I would save the best (Gaiman) for last.

As for my own reading- Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Christo_2992
post Apr 8 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Retainer

A book from Alister Mclean.

--------------------
Rather one day a lion, than a hundred year a sheep.
~Italian proverb.

Mama always said life was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get
~Forrest Gump
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(BSD-IES @ Apr 8 2008, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Alexander @ Apr 8 2008, 06:04 PM) *

Oh it is. It's a very impressive, creative and well written book. I loved it anyway biggrin.gif

QUOTE(treydog @ Apr 8 2008, 07:30 PM) *

Alexander- it kind of depends on the kind of reader you are. Grisham tends to be fast, good- and a little forgettable when it is over. American Gods is excellent, in a dark and surprising way. Gaiman really weaves a lot of Western mythos into it. Brooks--- I found somewhat disappointing. Granted that was some 20 years ago, and my impression might be different now. If it was me, I would save the best (Gaiman) for last.

As for my own reading- Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell.

Well I went with Grisham for now. And I think I'll be taking Gaiman next.

As to Grisham, I've got a real mixed feeling about him to be honest, I've read a number of his books, and some are great, but there are some which are not so great, to put it mildly. The best ones, or the ones I've enjoyed the most anyway, are definitely the Testament, The Runaway Jury and the Rainmaker. I also loved A Time to kill, The Firm, The king of Torts and the Pelican Brief. But the chamber on the other hand I found very disappointing. And another of his books, not sure about the english title but it's called "de Erfpachters" in dutch, I didn't even finish. And the other novels he's written, not related to law, I didn't even try those.

So while he's written some great books, I also think he's written some less then great books. Mixed feeling really :shrug:

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Apr 8 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #8

Mage
Group Icon

I just finished reading Enchanter's End Game, book five in th Belgariad series by David Eddings. Not entirely sure what to read next..... I wish I had the money for some new books, I've read all the ones I own so many times and there's no decent libraries anywhere nearby sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 8 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Apr 8 2008, 08:02 PM) *

I just finished reading Enchanter's End Game, book five in th Belgariad series by David Eddings. Not entirely sure what to read next..... I wish I had the money for some new books, I've read all the ones I own so many times and there's no decent libraries anywhere nearby sad.gif

If you like fantasy/sci-fi, try the Baen Free Library Baen. You can read on the PC directly from the web or download in PDF, RTF, or other formats.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexander
post Apr 8 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #10

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wolfie @ Apr 8 2008, 10:02 PM) *

Well, there is a sequel to the Belgariad. It's called the Mallorean and it picks up right after the Belgariad's end.

And of course there are the Belgarath and Polgara novels. Though I'd really recommend reading those after the Belgariad and Mallorean.

Perhaps that's an idea smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Apr 8 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Mage
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ Apr 8 2008, 10:26 PM) *

If you like fantasy/sci-fi, try the Baen Free Library Baen. You can read on the PC directly from the web or download in PDF, RTF, or other formats.

That could work, though I've always preferred having an actual book to reading on my pc screen. I shall check it out.

QUOTE(Alexander @ Apr 8 2008, 11:18 PM) *

Well, there is a sequel to the Belgariad. It's called the Mallorean and it picks up right after the Belgariad's end.

And of course there are the Belgarath and Polgara novels. Though I'd really recommend reading those after the Belgariad and Mallorean.

Perhaps that's an idea smile.gif

Yeah, I've read all of those.... unfortunately don't have access to copies of any of them to read again XD. I'm gonna have to have a look for them in shops around here at some point....

--------------------
IPB Image

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Apr 9 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
Olen
post Apr 9 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I read one of Brooks' Shannara boks (first of the second series I think), I do normally read in order but you get what you find in India... Anyway to put it mildly I won't be reading the next one though perhaps reading out of order spoiled it a bit.

I just finished Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy which was somewhat mixed though ended well enough to put it among my favourite books. I really loved her use of first person and am a bit dissapointed that its finished - anyone know any other long works in first person (other than her other works)?

Now I'm starting The Man in High Castle.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 9 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Not first-person, but I strongly recommend Feist's Riftwar and Serpentwar series. Will have to consider the first-person question... not a lot of sci-fi/fantasy is written that way...

Of course, Raymond Chandler is one of my all-time favorite writers- and likely to be available to you- if you like hard-boiled detective stories.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Apr 10 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #15

Mage
Group Icon

So I perused m,y bookshef for a long while, and eventually settled on my reading plan for the next while. All Middle-Earth stuff I own, in chronological order, starting with The Silmarillion, then The Children of Hurin, then The Hobbit, and finishing up with LOTR.
So I'm reading The Silmarillion currently, and have just passed the point where Feanor decides it's time to leave Valinor XD

--------------------
IPB Image

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post
Olen
post Apr 10 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

Ah yes, the Riftwar was excellent (if rather happy), I must get round to reading the rest of Feist's stuff.

And all of middle earth - that should take at least a while...

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Apr 14 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #17

Master
Group Icon

Since Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series is complete. I've decided to re-read all twelve books in order to get an overall impression of the series. I started reading this series before it was completed so there were points when I had to wait a year or two before the next release which meant I read other stuff between books. Kinda makes me forget things that get mentioned in books that way.

Hopefully by the time I finish "Confessor", George RR Martin will have finally released his next book (what's taking him so long? I thought this book and the previous one were basically written at the same time and because there was so much material he was forced to split them up). And whoever is finishing Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series will have the final installment written as well. If I remember correctly, there were still a lot of loose ends that needed tying up so that could prove to be a daunting task to do in one book.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
LeTren Thundakk
post Apr 14 2008, 05:12 AM
Post #18

Retainer

Year of the Rogue Dragons: Book Two

--------------------
Check out my webcomic---> http://leoandsv.comicdish.com/
+Quote Post
canis216
post Oct 11 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #19

Knower
Group Icon

I'm resurrecting this thread to sing the praises of Tony Hillerman's mystery novels. They're primarily set on the Navajo reservation in Arizona and New Mexico, and the lead characters work odd cases for the Navajo tribal police. It's fascinating stuff, with a mix of different cultures, marvelous landscapes, complex (but quite logical) plots. I'm currently reading Skeleton Man.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Oct 11 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

About to start "Nation," the newest Terry Pratchett. Also re-reading "Habeas Corpses" by William Mark Simmons. Listening to "Eddie's honoured user" by William Kowalski during my drive to and from work. (There is something to be said for a 1 hour commute.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

71 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 PM