Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Lore discussion
monkeyemoness
post Feb 6 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Loremaster Lawrence Schick is moving to Ireland and thus leaving the ESO Team

Gonna miss him tbh, and whoever replaces him has some big shoes to fill. Or else.

IPB Image

EDIT: Oh, his successor wrote a good chunk of the Clockwork City! Okay, I'm not worried at all.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Feb 7 2019, 05:54 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Darkness Eternal
post Feb 10 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While the metaphysical intricacies were interest at least, there was some strange content in his writing. While I personally don’t shy away from heavier content, I don’t “worship” it the least or dwell too much on the sexual violent stuff. I honestly found the whole Azura/spear/throat/explosion quite absurd. Insanely absurd! There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

Kirkbride is a strange one.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Feb 10 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 9 2019, 10:04 AM) *

I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP with him or come across it? From what you've said, his behavior on that RP = Wow! That kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with him behind the scenes? I mean...I was joking about needing to get back on meds, but ... really does sound like something isn't right. Maybe that is what caused the separation with Bethesda.

Back in The Old Days the devs would occasionally start threads where they talked in-character that added to the overall body of lore (I might be mistaken but "The Posting of the Hunt" lore book might have started out as such a thread)

There are also others like Vivec's meetings with various figures, and the final volume of Vivec's Sermon (which made it into ESO). For the most part I just lurked the lore forums and such when I started getting into MK's stuff. Needless to say, it wasn't long before my opinion of him started to change for the worse.

I personally witnessed one of his petty jabs at a forum goer through writing unfold in real time in a thread concerning his vision on Morrowind's playable characters. I vividly remember this because it was pretty much the turning point for me lol. Although things WERE building up constantly before that point, seeing his knee-jerk reaction to criticism and to "otherkin" being brought up along with seeing good chunk of people defending his pettiness as the "natural" reaction (because he also did it to them) turned me off to the lore community as a whole.

It was only long after that that I learned he took things too far, particularly that he made violent threats against others on facebook, at least. (I have screenshots but i rather not link to them)

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 10 2019, 08:06 AM) *

There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

It did, if one of their children showing up in ESO is any indication. The fact that the spear Vivec "acquired" during that assault is an anagram of "trauma" kinda makes the context of the Azura thing a LOT darker and in retrospect makes the scene a LOT worse now. That his fans play up the scene with Molag Bal as something humorous (even though, symbolically, Vivec was DISSOCIATING FROM THE TRAUMA DURING THE ENTIRE THING) just takes it to another level.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 11 2019, 07:07 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Feb 10 2019, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 9 2019, 10:04 AM) *

I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP with him or come across it? From what you've said, his behavior on that RP = Wow! That kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with him behind the scenes? I mean...I was joking about needing to get back on meds, but ... really does sound like something isn't right. Maybe that is what caused the separation with Bethesda.

Back in The Old Days the devs would occasionally start threads where they talked in-character that added to the overall body of lore (I might be mistaken but "The Posting of the Hunt" lore book might have started out as such a thread)

There are also others like Vivec's meetings with various figures, and the final volume of Vivec's Sermon (which made it into ESO). For the most part I just lurked the lore forums and such when I started getting into MK's stuff. Needless to say, it wasn't long before my opinion of him started to change for the worse.

I personally witnessed one of his petty jabs at a forum goer through writing unfold in real time in a thread concerning his vision on Morrowind's playable characters. I vividly remember this because it was pretty much the turning point for me lol. Although things WERE building up constantly before that point, seeing his knee-jerk reaction to criticism and to "otherkin" being brought up along with seeing good chunk of people defending his pettiness as the "natural" reaction (because he also did it to them) turned me off to the lore community as a whole.

It was only long after that that I learned he took things too far, particularly that he made violent threats against others on facebook, at least. (I have screenshots but i rather not link to them)

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Feb 10 2019, 08:06 AM) *

There was also mention of Vivec and Molag Bal and some odd stuff happening between them. Could be metaphorical but some lore experts actually believe it “happened” in lore.

It did, if one of their children showing up in ESO is any indication. The fact that the spear Vivec "acquired" during that assault is an anagram of "trauma" kinda makes the context of the Azura thing a LOT darker and in retrospect makes the scene a LOT worse now. That his fans play up the scene with Molag Bal as something humorous (even though, symbolically, Vivec was DISSOCIATING FROM THE TRAUMA DURING THE ENTIRE THING) just takes it to another level.

I used to lurk on the Lore section of the Official Bethesda forums too; just either missed all that going on or maybe it all just went over my head, lol. How strange!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
monkeyemoness   Lore discussion   Feb 6 2019, 11:13 PM
mALX   [url=https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/new...   Feb 8 2019, 05:54 AM
monkeyemoness   We love you Michael Kirkbride I don't! ...   Feb 8 2019, 11:36 PM
mALX   [quote name='mALX' post='312505' date='Feb 7 2019...   Feb 9 2019, 06:53 AM
monkeyemoness   [quote name='monkeyemoness' post='312534' date='F...   Feb 9 2019, 07:53 AM
mALX   [quote name='monkeyemoness' post='312534' date='...   Feb 9 2019, 05:04 PM
mALX   I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While t...   Feb 10 2019, 08:35 PM
mALX   I didn't know he RP'd! Did you RP w...   Feb 11 2019, 07:07 AM
Darkness Eternal   I wasn’t too big on Kirkbride’s work. While ...   Feb 11 2019, 03:49 PM
mALX   [quote name='mALX' post='312599' date='Feb 10 201...   Feb 11 2019, 08:07 PM
Acadian   Per request, have created this new thread for lore...   Feb 11 2019, 09:39 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   Oh, yes. Michael Kirkbride. One of my..."favo...   Feb 12 2019, 04:12 PM
monkeyemoness   The fact that MK is such a controversial figure in...   Feb 12 2019, 10:40 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   The fact that MK is such a controversial figure i...   Feb 13 2019, 02:22 AM
monkeyemoness   Gonna be honest, I don't think I ever really r...   Feb 14 2019, 09:49 PM
Darkness Eternal   Recent news: we have a new writer. Leamon Tuttle. ...   Mar 10 2019, 10:18 PM
monkeyemoness   Yep, them's the guy that was "apprenticed...   Mar 11 2019, 12:59 AM
monkeyemoness   https://66.media.tumblr.com/c8db9cbe78d5236b336f80...   Mar 26 2019, 01:43 AM
monkeyemoness   https://esosslfiles-a.akamaihd.net/cms/2019/04/eaf...   Apr 17 2019, 11:56 PM
RaderOfTheLostArk   The Green Pact is so [censored] stupid. I'm n...   Oct 4 2019, 06:35 AM
Acadian   Thoughts? I agree that the Green Pact is absurdly...   Oct 4 2019, 01:24 PM
SubRosa   I think the Green Pact was invented by people who ...   Oct 4 2019, 05:22 PM
mALX   I think the Green Pact was thrown into TES Lore as...   Oct 4 2019, 08:17 PM
haute ecole rider   Actually even the Bosmer themselves realize how ri...   Oct 7 2019, 01:27 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:17 AM