8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Talk About Characters
Grits
post Jun 13 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #81

Councilor
Group Icon

Jerric just got Rushed Ceremony from the Templar Restoring Light skill line. He has a Restoration staff but he's using Rushed Ceremony on his active bar to heal himself and the occasional hurt random person. It makes a huge difference in combat.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 13 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #82

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 13 2015, 02:45 PM) *

Hmmm so further investigation has revealed that the restoration staff drains enemy health and gives you magicka, which is handy.

As for the deconstructing thing - I'm guessing it gets better as you level up the skill line. One of the passive abilities says something about 'extracting materials' but I'm not sure if that means 'via deconstruction' or just 'from raw materials'.

Oh, I def need to study that page! Thank you so much!

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 13 2015, 03:37 PM) *

Jerric just got Rushed Ceremony from the Templar Restoring Light skill line. He has a Restoration staff but he's using Rushed Ceremony on his active bar to heal himself and the occasional hurt random person. It makes a huge difference in combat.

I had the opportunity to choose this on my last level up and didn't know enough about it so didn't, but I just got an extra skill point from the skyshards; I'm really going to explore the options before using it because I can morph some of my spells too.

I did hot key some healing potions and actually remembered to use them in combat - they were surprisingly effective! It is remembering to use them where I fail most.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 13 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #83

Mouth
Group Icon

So after spending those not-so-hard-earned crowns on the Dominion race stuff Haa Rei finds the Altmer style book in a random jar. *sigh* wacko.gif

It looks like all the restoration staff abilities are aimed at healing other people, which is nice and all but only seems useful if you're doing group activities.

Anyway, we've just arrived in the region of Shadowfen. In my fanfic headcanon it's the region where Haa Rei was born, which is quite exciting. Already seen our first official Black Marsh Hist tree biggrin.gif What a time to be alive

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 13 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 13 2015, 05:31 PM) *

So after spending those not-so-hard-earned crowns on the Dominion race stuff Haa Rei finds the Altmer style book in a random jar. *sigh* wacko.gif

It looks like all the restoration staff abilities are aimed at healing other people, which is nice and all but only seems useful if you're doing group activities.

Anyway, we've just arrived in the region of Shadowfen. In my fanfic headcanon it's the region where Haa Rei was born, which is quite exciting. Already seen our first official Black Marsh Hist tree biggrin.gif What a time to be alive

Oh, well that wouldn't help me much then. That is so funny you found the motif right after buying it, laugh.gif Isn't that always the way, lol.

OMG, how exciting to have a place in your fic and see it in person now! That is Awesome! I think ESO did an awesome job with the Argonian personalities, too!

This post has been edited by mALX: Jun 13 2015, 11:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 14 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #85

Mouth
Group Icon

So here's some crafting stats that mALX asked to see. Haa Rei is level 26, and his clothing and woodworking skills are both level 11.

For light armor he can use jute, flax, and cotton. For medium armor he can use rawhide, hide, and leather.

Top end gear would be something like a medium armor Leather Jacket which has a base armor stat of 908, level requirement of 34, and a value of 36. A top end light armor would be the Cotton Robe, with an armor stat of 316, level req of 34 and value of 36.

With woodworking he can use maple, oak, and beech.

Top bow here would be the Beech Bow. Base damage of 584, level 34, value 48.
Top restoration staff would be Beech Restoration Staff. Damage 584, level 34, value 48.
Top shield would (again) be Beech. Armor 740, level 34, value 30.

Haa Rei can use Redguard, Argonian, Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit styles at the moment. He can't read his Dwemer weapon style book until he gets a crafting skill to level 40 and has all of the base passive skills for it(which determine which materials you can use.)

The weapons and gear he can craft are better than most you can find or get from quests. Currently equipped are: Cotton Hat, armor rating of 220. Leather Boots, armor 626. Leather Bracers, armor 358. Leather leg, armor 626. Leather shoulders, armor 626. Leather Belt, armor 250. All Level 26. Our Chest armor is the only thing he has that he didn't craft - Hide Jacket Of Health, level 25, armor 788, enchanted to add +297 Max Health.

All of this gear can be upgraded of course, but upgrade materials are uncoomon and if you fail an upgrade attempt the item in question is destroyed. A big risk.

If you have any specific questions about different armor sets or whatever feel free to ask smile.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 14 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #86

Councilor
Group Icon

hazmick, it must be just magical to visit the site of Haa Rei’s hatching after all of these years imagining it. Thanks for those crafting stats. Jerric has played around a little and made himself a non-horned Breton helmet which is as good as what he finds, but the other armor he can make is much lower. It’s great to know that with some dedication, crafting is worth it. smile.gif

Jerric is spending a lot of time on battlefields lately. He’s getting pretty handy with the combat healing. I think he’s going to use his carefully hoarded skill point to get Healing Ritual. It’s tough to tell if he should morph Rushed Ceremony into Breath of Life instead, though. Thus the hoarding. He is really in his element when stuff starts blowing up all over the place. He gets focused and methodical out of nowhere but still reacts quickly when unexpected things occur. He’s always called himself a battlefield healer but until now has never been able to shine in that capacity in the actual games. Magicka is still his least available resource, so he has to use it well. Originally I didn’t think he’d do much with the Templar’s Restoring Light skill tree. It’s been a lot of fun.

In his travels he found a spot where different people were summoning some big fiery daedric creature and subsequently getting killed by it. So he stood by to heal them, since he wasn’t sure of the implications if he pitched in to directly help with the fight. One Bosmer took three of his healings to get through her battle, but in the end she prevailed.

Lots of things have been setting him on fire. He’s having fun battling clannfear at melee range, but he does not ever want to close with a scamp. Or see another one, really. Nasty little firebugs. Maybe there’s something to those armor enchantments after all. Next town he finds, he’s going to see about some anti-fire glyphs.

Jerric loves the Argonians. He has not yet met a mean one, and he trusts their wisdom (especially the women). Their sayings make him grin. One guy fondly called him “moist one.” Saxhleel love. laugh.gif

General question, do you think we could use a “Today In” thread, or should we just use this one for both character builds and updates? At this point they kind of blend together for me, but I’m probably talking more about Jerric and less about things that will be useful to other players down the road.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 15 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #87

Mouth
Group Icon

I think this thread works fine for both.

Crafting is definitely worth it, and Haa Rei is having lots of fun with it. The only issue is material gathering for clothing - leather scraps can only be found on creatures level 26+ so he's been hunting level 30 giant snakes and alligators through the swamps all day tongue.gif

Has Jerric had a look at The Undaunted? They're like a fighters guild which focuses less on guild stuff and more on fighting tongue.gif Their skill line has a skill that aids with battlefield healing, and the other skills seem pretty handy for combat and support.

I'm glad that you and Jerric appreciate Argonians. Morrowind isn't a good place for them to be sometimes sad.gif Black Marsh is much more accommodating (and damp).

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 15 2015, 01:02 AM
Post #88

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 14 2015, 04:19 PM) *

So here's some crafting stats that mALX asked to see. Haa Rei is level 26, and his clothing and woodworking skills are both level 11.

For light armor he can use jute, flax, and cotton. For medium armor he can use rawhide, hide, and leather.

Top end gear would be something like a medium armor Leather Jacket which has a base armor stat of 908, level requirement of 34, and a value of 36. A top end light armor would be the Cotton Robe, with an armor stat of 316, level req of 34 and value of 36.

With woodworking he can use maple, oak, and beech.

Top bow here would be the Beech Bow. Base damage of 584, level 34, value 48.
Top restoration staff would be Beech Restoration Staff. Damage 584, level 34, value 48.
Top shield would (again) be Beech. Armor 740, level 34, value 30.

Haa Rei can use Redguard, Argonian, Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit styles at the moment. He can't read his Dwemer weapon style book until he gets a crafting skill to level 40 and has all of the base passive skills for it(which determine which materials you can use.)

The weapons and gear he can craft are better than most you can find or get from quests. Currently equipped are: Cotton Hat, armor rating of 220. Leather Boots, armor 626. Leather Bracers, armor 358. Leather leg, armor 626. Leather shoulders, armor 626. Leather Belt, armor 250. All Level 26. Our Chest armor is the only thing he has that he didn't craft - Hide Jacket Of Health, level 25, armor 788, enchanted to add +297 Max Health.

All of this gear can be upgraded of course, but upgrade materials are uncoomon and if you fail an upgrade attempt the item in question is destroyed. A big risk.

If you have any specific questions about different armor sets or whatever feel free to ask smile.gif

This is such an insight into crafting - I really need to start trying to craft basic items, even if it is just to sell. Right now I have been selling all the raw materials I find - I even got some kind of Achievement for finding crafting items, lol.

Thank you so much for this info, Hazmick!

Wait, was the stats of the staff you showed in the screens in here? I have to read back over it; I was looking for it and must have missed it!

@ Grits - I agree with you on this, I've been doing it too; and you are right that we should start a "Today in ESO" thread instead (so this thread is kept for info useful to new players rather than our daily play info). I thought about it too, but kept posting my daily stuff anyway, lol.

Will someone start a thread for our daily diaries and post a link to it on here?

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 14 2015, 07:04 PM) *

I think this thread works fine for both.

Crafting is definitely worth it, and Haa Rei is having lots of fun with it. The only issue is material gathering for clothing - leather scraps can only be found on creatures level 26+ so he's been hunting level 30 giant snakes and alligators through the swamps all day tongue.gif

Has Jerric had a look at The Undaunted? They're like a fighters guild which focuses less on guild stuff and more on fighting tongue.gif Their skill line has a skill that aids with battlefield healing, and the other skills seem pretty handy for combat and support.

I'm glad that you and Jerric appreciate Argonians. Morrowind isn't a good place for them to be sometimes sad.gif Black Marsh is much more accommodating (and damp).

Wow, you are so far along already! I am not at level 10 yet!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 15 2015, 01:28 AM
Post #89

Mouth
Group Icon

The staff in that screen was a level 26 Oak Restoration Staff. I think the base damage was around 460, but I'd upgraded it.

Since my last post Haa Rei hit level 28 so his gear is all the next tier up. Unfortunately that means he also had to use all of his hard earned materials.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 15 2015, 01:52 AM
Post #90

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 14 2015, 08:28 PM) *

The staff in that screen was a level 26 Oak Restoration Staff. I think the base damage was around 460, but I'd upgraded it.

Since my last post Haa Rei hit level 28 so his gear is all the next tier up. Unfortunately that means he also had to use all of his hard earned materials.

Grits started a thread about how to do the crafting things, she started it with Jerric's fishing knowledge gained, kind of a tips and info.

I went to the Wiki pages on how to craft armor and it is so confusing - I can't make heads or tails of it. I wish they could have made an organized little "How To" like Grits made on the fishing!

Thank you for all your help, Hazmick! I really appreciate it a lot!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 15 2015, 04:22 AM
Post #91

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 14 2015, 08:02 PM) *

Will someone start a thread for our daily diaries and post a link to it on here?

Sure, here it is: LINK.

Awesome, he will look for them when he gets back to Davon's Watch. I'm sure he saw those guys hanging around at the tavern. Thank you for the tip!

giant snakes and alligators

Woo! viking.gif

Jerric just added three more double-effect potions to his notebook. biggrin.gif

I wish the woodworking/blacksmithing/clothier crafts were easier to grasp, but now that they’re starting to make a little sense to me I’m glad there is some depth to them. I just keep reading over the same menus at the crafting benches and reading over the same info in the skills meus and the light is beginning to dawn. The biggest thing I couldn’t understand at first was why Jerric couldn’t craft some things at all, and it was because at the bottom of the crafting menu he had a Trait accidentally selected. Once he selected No Trait then he could craft his stuff. wacko.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 16 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #92

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 14 2015, 11:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 14 2015, 08:02 PM) *

Sure, here it is: LINK.

Awesome, he will look for them when he gets back to Davon's Watch. I'm sure he saw those guys hanging around at the tavern. Thank you for the tip!

giant snakes and alligators

Woo! viking.gif

Jerric just added three more double-effect potions to his notebook. biggrin.gif

I wish the woodworking/blacksmithing/clothier crafts were easier to grasp, but now that they’re starting to make a little sense to me I’m glad there is some depth to them. I just keep reading over the same menus at the crafting benches and reading over the same info in the skills meus and the light is beginning to dawn. The biggest thing I couldn’t understand at first was why Jerric couldn’t craft some things at all, and it was because at the bottom of the crafting menu he had a Trait accidentally selected. Once he selected No Trait then he could craft his stuff. wacko.gif

Thank you for that link, and for all these tips. Yes, the crafting is really intricate and I am having a lot of trouble understanding how it works. I think I need to make myself some flow charts to learn these crafting trades better. I wasted a bunch of ingredients trying to make potions and they made no potion and I learned no traits - just lost all the ingredients. Well, one of them finally clicked, and I learned the traits from it, some healing stuff.

So I think it will end up being like Oblivion Alchemy; where the "traits" are similar to the four effects each ingredient had; and the effects combined with another ingredient of like effects would make a potion with that effect.

Then you could deliberately combine the secondary effects to create a dual (or more) effect potion. I got very good with Alchemy in Oblivion, but couldn't hardly do anything with it in Skyrim.

ESO seems to be a combination of Skyrim's obscurity and Oblivion's ability; all I need to do is find a way to eliminate the obscure factor. I see me googling the ingredients and making myself a list to follow for the effects I want in a potion, lol.

I am still struggling with the clothing/armor/weapons crafting. I read somewhere that if you don't improve your crafted weapon it will break. Well, you have to make the item first, and I had been selling off all my materials till I played this last time. So I filled up on materials and came into town to try and craft something (Bal Foyen).

It said I needed 10 pieces of wood refined - did it; now I've got 6 pieces of refined wood and it says I need 10, and it is written in red.

So then I tried to make something with metal. It said I needed 10 pieces of iron ore, that I needed to refine them. Yup, once again I have only 6 when done, and it is written in red.

So I socked them all in the bank and gave up. I need a step by step "Crafting for Dummies" to learn how to do the basics in this.

Urk.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 16 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #93

Councilor
Group Icon

You got it, with alchemy to make a potion the only new thing is the solvent (water). Otherwise it’s just like Skyrim where you have to combine two ingredients/reagents with the same effect to make a potion. You can discover the first effect by eating the reagent, then the rest of the effects are discovered when you combine like reagents. Jerric’s “Best Simple Potions” on his notebook page are all potions with two reagents that produce an extra effect.

Also I think I just figured out negative effects. There are no poisons to be made, so negative traits just mess up your potions. Unless you add an ingredient with the same effect as the negative only positive to cancel the negative out. Then I think you get a usable potion of whatever effect you were going for.

Once Jerric gets some more experience he will add a list of those potions to his notebook. They are more complicated having three reagents but still might yield a potion with a single effect. He uses magicka potions most, so if this lets him make more of those he will be happy to sacrifice the third reagent.

With all of the crafting you can use materials that are stored in your bank, they automatically come into the menus when you use a station. The “needs ten” in red sounds like refining where you need ten of something like iron ore to refine into materials you can use. You may have used ten ore to make your ingots, and if you stayed in that menu it would think you were still trying to refine ore but only had six left. If you are trying to make an item be sure you back out of the refining menu and go into the Creation menu. I’ve only ever needed one of each material to create an item, but I haven’t made many things yet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jun 16 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #94

Mouth
Group Icon

Introducing Haa Rei's Handy Crafting Guide - So easy, even a hatchling could do it!

I'll go through some woodworking. Hope it helps.

First, Refine: Raw materials. You'll need a lot. 10 pieces of raw wood, such as Rough Maple, can be refined into anywhere between 7 and 10 pieces of Sanded wood. That might be where you're losing some.

Second, Creation - Type: Select what you want to create.

Third, Creation - Material: Choose what material you wish to use. You can use more wood to increase the damage, level, and value. A Maple Restoration Staff requires a minimum of 3 pieces of Sanded Maple, but can use a maximum of 9. The choice of material will also change the appearance of the end product, with higher level materials producing fancier looking items.

Fourth, Creation - Style: Select a style. You can't craft anything without a style ingredient such as Flint or Corundum. You can also only use styles which you have learned from style books, except the style you start with which is determined by your race.

Fifth, Creation - Trait: Traits add special effects to items, such as increased experience or damage. You must research a trait before using it. (To research a trait you go to the 'Research' tab in the crafting menu and there you can destroy enchanted equipment to receive the trait.) ** If you have no traits, make sure the 'no trait' option is selected otherwise you won't be able to craft the item. **

Sixth - Click 'Craft', and you're done!

This post has been edited by hazmick: Jun 16 2015, 10:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 16 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 16 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Third, Creation - Material: Choose what material you wish to use. You can use more wood to increase the damage, level, and value. A Maple Restoration Staff requires a minimum of 3 pieces of Sanded Maple, but can use a maximum of 9.

Oh my gosh, this is news. Thank you! Hello, new sword! Jerric hasn't tried to make an Argonian sword yet. Tonight is the night!

Thank you very much for this!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 01:20 AM
Post #96

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 16 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Introducing Haa Rei's Handy Crafting Guide - So easy, even a hatchling could do it!

I'll go through some woodworking. Hope it helps.

First, Refine: Raw materials. You'll need a lot. 10 pieces of raw wood, such as Rough Maple, can be refined into anywhere between 7 and 10 pieces of Sanded wood. That might be where you're losing some.

Second, Creation - Type: Select what you want to create.

Third, Creation - Material: Choose what material you wish to use. You can use more wood to increase the damage, level, and value. A Maple Restoration Staff requires a minimum of 3 pieces of Sanded Maple, but can use a maximum of 9. The choice of material will also change the appearance of the end product, with higher level materials producing fancier looking items.

Fourth, Creation - Style: Select a style. You can't craft anything without a style ingredient such as Flint or Corundum. You can also only use styles which you have learned from style books, except the style you start with which is determined by your race.

Fifth, Creation - Trait: Traits add special effects to items, such as increased experience or damage. You must research a trait before using it. (To research a trait you go to the 'Research' tab in the crafting menu and there you can destroy enchanted equipment to receive the trait.) ** If you have no traits, make sure the 'no trait' option is selected otherwise you won't be able to craft the item. **

Sixth - Click 'Craft', and you're done!

Oh, this is fantastic Hazmick!!!!! Thank you so very much!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #97

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jun 16 2015, 03:31 PM) *

With all of the crafting you can use materials that are stored in your bank, they automatically come into the menus when you use a station. The “needs ten” in red sounds like refining where you need ten of something like iron ore to refine into materials you can use. You may have used ten ore to make your ingots, and if you stayed in that menu it would think you were still trying to refine ore but only had six left. If you are trying to make an item be sure you back out of the refining menu and go into the Creation menu. I’ve only ever needed one of each material to create an item, but I haven’t made many things yet.

This is huge info, I did not know it could see stuff in my bank too! That means I can store all that stuff and not carry it around, but not have to go withdraw it from the bank before going to craft - that would have saved me a lot of time if I'd known that!

Oh, and this is huge info - so I probably was in the same place and needed to click it somewhere else to use those refined maple and ingots - Okay, I'll have to check that out!

Thank you both so much for your help, this is such a huge help !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 02:57 AM
Post #98

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, this page shows all the traits; so I can kind of think of the potions I want to make in advance and hunt for those ingredients; then try crafting potions I need that way. Maybe I can sell potions too, can you make good money selling hand crafted potions?

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/alchemy/

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 17 2015, 04:39 AM
Post #99

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Jun 14 2015, 08:28 PM) *

What was the enchantment Haa Rei put on it? I mean what does it do?

Oh, thank you again for the step by step instructions on crafting, that is so nice of you!

I can't get over how quickly Haa Rei leveled up!

/

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 17 2015, 04:47 AM
Post #100

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 16 2015, 09:57 PM) *

Maybe I can sell potions too, can you make good money selling hand crafted potions?

Right now Jerric is very low level in Alchemy, but I can check and see how much he would get for his potions. He has only put one skill point into the ability that makes plants look misty and glow when you go near. It's very helpful. He has collected a lot more plants since he got that skill.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:40 AM