Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oblivion original demos, A look back at where it all started...
Thomas Kaira
post Oct 31 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Part 1, which is a demonstration of Oblivion's new texture mapping technology, physics, voice acting, and soft shadowing (cut).

Part 2, demonstrating procedurally generated foliage, which covers approximately half the game world with fully animated trees, shrubs, and grass, as well as the "magic compass" and overhauled combat. And over 200 dungeons, all hand-crafted (hmm, where have I heard that before? tongue.gif).

Part 3, where we behold the power of Todd Mode, see how arrows react with the game's physics (including using one to push a log which I know you can't do in the final game), as well as using an apple to trigger a trip wire (which I think that is possible).

Part 4, The now infamous demo of Radiant AI. To put it simply, almost everything from 2:30 onwards ended up cut. Also demoed is the new fast-travel system.

Part 5, mostly devoted to introducing the main threat of the game.

All in all, a very interesting set of vids, and it's nice to look back and see what Bethesda actually wanted to do with Oblivion. Wanted to, but couldn't, as they were designing for the 360 first and over-estimated its capabilities. Since then, they have learned their lesson about trying too hard to impress their audience. That and they are not designing for next-gen hardware this time, too, so they are more aware of what is and isn't possible. Compared to the Skyrim demo, Oblivion's actually feels decidedly Peter Molyneux-esque.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Oct 31 2011, 09:15 PM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 22 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

These are great TK !!! What an awesome idea to post them, thank you !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 28 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

I really like the Radiant AI, the way it's supposed to be.
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 6 2013, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Agent

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Oct 31 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Part 1, which is a demonstration of Oblivion's new texture mapping technology, physics, voice acting, and soft shadowing (cut).

Part 2, demonstrating procedurally generated foliage, which covers approximately half the game world with fully animated trees, shrubs, and grass, as well as the "magic compass" and overhauled combat. And over 200 dungeons, all hand-crafted (hmm, where have I heard that before? tongue.gif).

Part 3, where we behold the power of Todd Mode, see how arrows react with the game's physics (including using one to push a log which I know you can't do in the final game), as well as using an apple to trigger a trip wire (which I think that is possible).

Part 4, The now infamous demo of Radiant AI. To put it simply, almost everything from 2:30 onwards ended up cut. Also demoed is the new fast-travel system.

Part 5, mostly devoted to introducing the main threat of the game.

All in all, a very interesting set of vids, and it's nice to look back and see what Bethesda actually wanted to do with Oblivion. Wanted to, but couldn't, as they were designing for the 360 first and over-estimated its capabilities. Since then, they have learned their lesson about trying too hard to impress their audience. That and they are not designing for next-gen hardware this time, too, so they are more aware of what is and isn't possible. Compared to the Skyrim demo, Oblivion's actually feels decidedly Peter Molyneux-esque.

I wasnt around ( i was around , just wasnt playing) when they realeased oblivion , thanks for these , i am now going to enjoy this .... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 6 2013, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Agent

WOW , did anybody see SUTCH ? ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 6 2013, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Agent

haha i love how 90 % of the voices used are from the old morrowind voice actors! renoits bookstore! biggrin.gif damn i LOVED that epic american accent , and how the dark elf and the "bard" have the convo and the dark elf has the husky voice XD

its amazing how much they actually cut out from oblivion , but i still think it was a massive step forwards from morrowind ,

yeah , and when did anybody ever invite ME to stay ? ohmy.gif normally they just give me a sarcastic little smile and tell me to get out ....

the dogs ? WHAT?

wow, how did npcs ever get THAT clever ? ive never seen an npc think to themselves ..hmm i need to raise my skills so ill drink a potion

lol it would be funny if they all were awful like estelle and arrows were plastered to every surface you saw biggrin.gif

wow ..she is one mean woman ! she paralized her dog just because she was reading ? classic biggrin.gif

the magic looked great ....

those vids have made me feel flat blink.gif
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Feb 6 2013, 07:28 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

its amazing how much they actually cut out from oblivion , but i still think it was a massive step forwards from morrowind ,

Now that I've seen these demos, I really think they've dumbed down oblivion a hell lot! blink.gif

Still, I do agree with you about oblivion being a big step forward from morrowind.

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:04 AM