Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 2, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
mALX
post Sep 24 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

You've got so much foreshadowing in this chapter it makes my head spin!!!!! This is HUGE!!! I see Kvatch = Matias, Cheydinhal = DB - just to begin with !!!! And Jauffre dead? OOOOOOOOHH!!!!! This is a HUGE chapter Acadian !!!!

Here is a line that had me laughing out loud:

"...she finally threatened someone who had a temper that matched hers."

"I squirmed"

ROFL !!!! Poor Buffy! Just when she almost had it rationalized that Earana was despicable and needed killing! ROFL!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 24 2010, 04:29 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 24 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #42

Mouth
Group Icon

Jauffre dead!? never saw that coming, you handled it well. Buffy doesn't seem to be struggling with Earana's murder, I suppose she was a mean person.

I disagree with Haute slightly, the DB is a loving family! Ocheeva and Teinava are nice Argonian's--even Vincente is a kind person. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Super Duper!!

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Remko
post Sep 24 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #43

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(HER)
Geez, how many suckers did Lucien Lachance reel in with that? It's got to be the worst pick up line in the history of Cyrodiil!

Thinking along this lines might mean Edmu- er.. Edward's asssessment that they are in fact prostitutes being the correct one.... hmm...... He wasn't recruiting assassins but something different altogether.... wacko.gif laugh.gif

Loved the dialogue between the Dunmer and Buffy.

As a sidenote; why do I get the distinct feeling the words "powerful hinduarters" were a substitute for something less flattering? tongue.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Remko: Sep 24 2010, 05:14 PM

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

Nardhil's tale about Earana made me laugh, until the part about the fireballs! Yikes! That really does a good job of reinforcing the danger that Earana did present to Buffy. A bit of reassurance that it was not all in her mind.

It looks like you have pushed up some events in the Oblivion Crisis. Jauffre dead, his chest broken into (and I presume the Amulet of Kings stolen). I kind of wonder if it was the Mythic Dawn, or Lucien Lachance who did it! biggrin.gif

I enjoyed Buffy's discussion with Nardhil. It brings us up to speed on everything that has happened, and does it in a way that naturally flows from dialogue. At the same time it adds more depth to a supporting character, and also shows us one of the many relationships that Buffy has with the stablehands across Cyrodiil.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 24 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

At first, I was a little disoriented when Buffy did not detail the meeting with Lucien. But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. As Athlain will discover, it is not wise to record everything that happens in your journal. You may intend it to be private, but that does not mean someone else won't read it... I also think she feels ambivalent about the meeting- and is trying to ignore her misgivings. Finally, from purely the writer's POV, it is a scene that is familiar to anyone who has ever been "contacted" by the DB.

Having information come out through conversation was a wonderful touch- it allowed for much more "showing, not telling."

Earana's short fuse being revealed should give Buffy some solace- especially as it turns out the unlamented Altmer attacked one of Buffy's friends.

The apparent death of Jauffre and Buffy's reaction to it go a long way towards showing her personality. She did as Baurus and the Emperor asked- and she gave Blades Grandmaster exactly as much courtesy and respect as he gave her. It also shows that events are continuing with the Crisis, even as Buffy seems to feel unconnected from them...

I think Buffy will discover soon enought that Lucien's smooth words mask a darkness she will NOT embrace. Her morality may be "flexible," but there are lines she will not cross.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 24 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #46

Mouth
Group Icon

Buffy does not make threats unless she plans to follow through on them; she assumed Earana acted the same way, and responded accordingly.

Given that rationale, I hope she never meets Alval Uvani! wacko.gif
It seems that over the course of time, our flawed and confused bowgirl may have wormed her way into your heart.

Are you kidding? She had me at . . .
‘I’m Buffy, and this is my journal.’

Now, as for this chapter:
For the first time, I think you may have put a foot wrong here, my friend. The thing that made Buffy’s assassination of Earana so arresting was the fact that none of us (Buffy included) really knew if Earana deserved her fate. Having Nardhil paint Earana as a fireball-throwing harpy who just needed to die blunts the shock of Buffy’s actions and lifts her out of the darkness that you wanted her to ‘dance’ with. It is indeed a difficult thing to explore the darker aspects of a character we have grown to love and admire. Even when we have darkness flooding through our story our tendency is to build a platform upon which our hero can stand without getting his/her feet wet.

Now for the rest . . . news of Jauffre’s passing is surprising. I think Buffy is not seeing the forest if she does not detect a correlation between Jauffre’s death, his desire to have her find Martin in Kvatch, and the fate that has befallen Kvatch. Events are swirling all around her, yet she is too locked into the idea of a ‘family’ to notice. That speaks so eloquently to the complexity of her character that it renders me (almost) speechless!

This post has been edited by Destri Melarg: Sep 24 2010, 09:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Sep 25 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #47

Knower
Group Icon

The bowstring came back to my ear, the arrow's tip found its final aim point well above Earana's head, and the fingers of my right hand that restrained the arrow uncurled.

The shot that was heard around the world. Well, across the Pacific pond, at least. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Sep 24 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Having Nardhil paint Earana as a fireball-throwing harpy who just needed to die blunts the shock of Buffy’s actions and lifts her out of the darkness that you wanted her to ‘dance’ with. It is indeed a difficult thing to explore the darker aspects of a character we have grown to love and admire.

Yeah, it is a very tough thing how to portray a character that is honest to both them and the writer (and not to mention the readers) lol. I, for one, have never seen Buffy as a knight. She has always given me the impression of one who marches to her own drummer. In D&D she is what we would call a 'classic' Chaotic Good alignment.

Buffy is a strong individualist marked by a streak of kindness and benevolence, she believes in all the virtues of goodness and right, but has little use for the laws and regulations that support it. Her actions are guided by her own moral compass, and are rarely in agreement with the rest of society.

Her connection to the DB (and acceptance of Aradroth) in BF 1.0 was an indication of that.

Acadian, never feel that you need to justify our little Buffy, those things mean very little in the grand plans that she sees for herself.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 27 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #48

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 31 was 'Dancing with Darkness', episode two of four. The city of Chorrol was opened from 'lockdown' after the murder of Earana, and Buffy made preparations to leave. She learned that Jauffre, from nearby Weynon Priory had been murdered almost immediately after receiving the Amulet of Kings from Buffy. It seems that perhaps the Amulet was stolen as well. Buffy dismissed the information and implications, assuming that if there had been an heir living in Kvatch(which she questioned) he would not have survived the Daedra attack. It seems she is now headed to the Inn of Ill Omen to see a man named Rufio.

Rider- Buffy asked me, that since she refused to go fetch Martin, why would not Jauffre dispatch his Blades to do it? It seems she just found out why. Admittedly, Jauffre's death is one of several steps we will take to enhance (as best we can) the believability of delaying Kvatch so long. Thanks for your wonderful words about Buffy's cojones (heehee). Buffy is a young orpahan, and you are right that her naivete is on display regarding the allure of a family of loving brothers and sisters; Lucien certainly knew which button to push.

mALX- Thank you so much! I am so pleased that, while your head is spinning, you trust me to deliver some clarity before this miniseries concludes. My intent at this point is to have readers wondering.

hazmick- Buffy will grow to accept the killing of Earana as necessary, and something she would do again if required. She will explain some more about her desire for a 'loving family' in the final two episodes.

Remko- Thanks for the kind words about Buffy's scene with the Dunmer stablehand, Nardhil. I was hoping to show that Buffy is merely a small part of her complex world.

SubRosa- Thank you. My intent was to open this miniseries with the shocking coldness of Buffy's assassination in part one. In part two, I was hoping to reveal, after the fact, that Buffy's instincts about Earana were correct. While Buffy recognizes it as premeditated murder, she will also embrace the resolve to repeat such an act if preemption and vengeance so require. In Buffy's world it represents the lighter side of gray that she deems essential to keep her butterfly butt alive. Her true dance with the darker end of the spectrum occurs in this very next chapter. My intent is to portray what Buffy encounters at the Inn of Ill Omen in challenging shades of gray as well. Alas, no easy or black and white decisions for this girl.

treydog- Thank you! Yes, we made some significant choices in this episode and I am so glad to have earned the endorsement of your wise old doggie eyes.

Lucien: What to present on or off camera is the stuff of hard choices indeed. Admittedly, I am trying to manage the length of Buffy's saga to some degree by not presenting a Lucien Lachance scene. My hope is that references to him in both of the final two episodes will flush out what is needed. I truly hope you will enjoy the emotional roller coaster that is this next episode.

Jauffre: As a simple elf from Bravil, Buffy is quite ignorant regarding 'affairs of state'. As surely as her eyes glazed over when Uriel Septim was discussing 'Emperor stuff' way back in the Imperial Prison, she figures that sorting out who is in charge of the empire and how to run it, are matters for nobles who understand such things. I will not be surprised to see Buffy begin to grow beyond that simple understanding as she travels and gains experience. Any involvement she may have in the Main Quest however, will be triggered by individuals she holds precious, not by vague concepts like 'the empire'.

Destri- To say that Buffy captured your heart in Chapter one of her original story brought tears to our eyes. Thank you, my friend.

Regarding Buffy's Dance with Darkness, I hope that I am working from the unfair advantage of seeing all four episodes laid before me and knowing what is coming. To dance with darkness requires both light and dark. In Buffy's world of hiding in the shadows, we mean light gray vs dark gray of course. Earana's death, believe it or not, represents the light (well, lighter gray anyway). It is a decision she will grow to embrace without apology, and be quite ready to repeat if/when necessary. It will become a part of her true nature. What Lucien is asking her to do represents the dark (well, a darker gray anyway). I hope to present the choice Buffy will face in this next episode as darker than Earana, but still very gray. I assure you that the choice Buffy makes when faced with Rufio will be . . . gray. tongue.gif

Wolf- I am so pleased you dropped in, for no dance with the DB would be complete without your oversight. Thank you for the soothing words. Buffy's moral compass exists in the shadows, just as she fights. She would sacrifice herself for her horse, yet cruelly torture the highwayman who would swing an axe at that same precious mare. She will grow a great deal in the next two episodes.

32 Dancing with Darkness, Part 3- A Knife in the Dark

By the light of several flickering candles, I studied how the tail of the arrow in front of my right cheek fit to the partially drawn silk bowstring of Slayer. My eyes slowly trailed along the shaft of the arrow as it passed the junction of my left hand and bow staff. Moving ever so slightly up and down with my breathing, was the broadhead tip of that arrow - centered on the sleeping Rufio.

The stirrings of concern I felt from Acadian, rippled from my head to my heart and were not making things any easier. He didn't understand.

I started to draw full tension on the bowstring, but just as with my two previous attempts, I stopped. Gently easing all tension off the bow, I returned the arrow to my quiver. Standing in the basement of the Inn of Ill Omen, I now stared at the sleeping Breton. Lucien Lachance had told me that killing Rufio would complete my initiation into the arms of loving brothers and sisters who were waiting for me.

A Family.

I don't know if you can truly appreciate a family unless you don't have one. I never knew my father before he disappeared. My mother died when I was twelve, and I was an only child. Many were the nights I cried myself to sleep wishing I had brothers and sisters who loved, or even picked on me - just someone I could belong to and who would accept me. Lucien said this new family would welcome me into their loving embrace. I longed so much for that. He had even presented the gift of a beautiful dagger to demonstrate the love of my new family.

That's why I was trying so hard to kill Rufio. Unlike others I had killed though, Rufio was no threat to me. He was a complete stranger. What did he do that would make Lucien want him dead?

On the nightstand next the sleeping Breton were some of his belongings: a broken quill, two septims, a half-eaten apple, a piece of parchment and an amulet. I moved closer to examine them.

The parchment was actually an article cut from the Black Horse Courier. It told of the unsolved rape and murder of a young woman named Idonis Arcadia. The crime had taken place recently in the Imperial City.

The amulet glowed softly with some form of enchantment as I picked it up by the delicate gold chain. Turning it in my hand, I saw the back was engraved:

'For my sweet Idonis on her sixteenth birthday. Your loving father.'

Narrowing my eyes, I moved closer and nudged Rufio with the toe of my boot. I then stepped back, ready to paralyze him if necessary.

The Breton jumped from his bed in surprise. "Who are you? What do you want? I ain't done nothin'!"

I quickly agreed with Lucien's description of Rufio as weak. Perhaps some threatening would get him to enlighten me. "Oh, but I think you have, Rufio." I nodded my head towards the items on the nightstand.

Rufio's beady eyes darted to the incriminating evidence, then shot a glance over my shoulder towards the door behind me.

Reading his intent, I added, "Don't try. I've locked it."

His eyes then jumped to Slayer, before finally stopping their travels to stare at the ominous green glow gently pulsing in my right hand. "N-no! Please! I didn't mean to do it, you understand me? She struggled! I-I told her to just stay still, but she wouldn't listen! I had no choice!"

"Blaming the victim, are you?" Perhaps he would tell me more if I emphasized just how much danger he was in. I allowed the magic in my hand to fade, then slid an arrow from my quiver and took one step back. "Would you like to try attacking me?" Yes, self-defense would be a lovely excuse to kill this wormy man.

"Oh, please, no! I can pay you! Name your price! Anything! Anything! Please, just let me live!"

My response was to fit the arrow's nock to my bowstring.

Separated from me by the bed, Rufio cowered into the corner.

The pathetic Breton wasn't going to make my decision any easier by defending himself.

He must have killed this Idonis Arcadia. The victim's father probably asked for Lucien's help to set things right. I fought to dispel images of Rufio leering over a young girl. My skin crawled and stomach churned into a knot as I imagined the fear, helplessness and violation she must have felt. Then rage welled up within me.

As the bowstring came back to my ear, my fingers should have instinctively uncurled. They did not. I just stood, staring at the quaking man over the tip of my arrow.

Buffy, is this the path you choose?

The paladin was right. He knew why I had paused. As my arm began to quiver from holding full tension on the bow, I reluctantly eased the tail of my arrow forward.

Now what, Buffy? As I stared at the cowering Breton whose fate was in my hands, a plan formed.

I slid the arrow over my shoulder to rejoin its companions, then filled my hand with magic. As the spell hit Rufio, he became rigid, falling to the floor. I spoke, surprised at the coolness in my voice. "I know you can hear me; you just can't move. When you recover, you will climb onto the bed, lie perfectly still on your back and do exactly as I say. If you do not, I will paralyze you again, then pierce your heart with an arrow."

After a few seconds, Rufio was able to move. He clambered from the floor to the bed and dutifully lay upon his back, eyes wide.

I rubbed my glowing fingers together and continued. "Did I make myself clear?"

Rufio looked up at me from the bed. "Y-yes, milady. Whatever you say. Please just don't hurt me."

"I am not your lady, Rufio. And yes, you will indeed do exactly as I say."

I shouldered Slayer and reached into my pack. Passing over the dagger Lucien had given me, I pulled out a pair of a green vials. I then unsheathed my hunting knife and coated the blade. "Just lie still. If you struggle, I will have to kill you. Since those are the same instructions you gave young Idonis Arcadia, they should be easy for you to follow."

Rufio's eyes were like saucers overflowing with fear, but he didn't move.

I dragged the blade of my knife down one of his forearms, drawing blood and allowing the poison to enter his body. I then reached for the second green vial and repeated the process.

As I waited for the emerald tinge of Rufio's skin to return to its pale Bretonic color, I calmly said, "Neither your wounds nor these poisons will kill you. The toxins coursing inside you however will damage your speed to the point you cannot move. You will remain so until someone - I expect a healer from the Imperial Prison - fixes you."

Cleaning my knife on Rufio's shirt, I continued, "Cheer up. Things could be worse; my blade could have strayed into your pants." I slid the weapon home into its sheath. Turning towards the nightstand, I carefully arranged the incriminating Courier article and amulet so they would easily be found.

"Since you can't move and have plenty of time, you might reflect on just how it feels to be helpless and vulnerable. Oh, and you might also hope that the Legion finds you before a hungry rat does. I understand the smell of blood can sometimes attract them, and with you being unable to move and all. . . ."

I turned to leave, casting a spell to free the lock's tumblers. "Farewell, Rufio." I closed the door behind me.

As I reached the ladder beneath the basement's trapdoor, I paused. "Acadian, Rufio's an evil man. I don't suppose the Dark Brotherhood is a family that exacts justice against those who have eluded it?"

You were born in the morning, Child of Dawn - but not this morning.

I sighed. "You're right. It would be too naïve - even for me - to expect my assignments would involve exacting justifiable vengeance. Rufio almost fit that, you know. I wanted to believe. . . ." I stirred the dust on the floor with the toe of my boot. "I allowed my desire for the loving family that Lucien promised to push my judgment aside, didn't I? Even though I might have been able to rationalize that Rufio deserved to die by my hand, I know I would be asked in the future to kill innocent people without even knowing the reason. I can't do that. I guess I wouldn't make a very good assassin."

I reached for the ladder, but then stopped again and added, "Acadian, you know I will kill to protect myself and those I love - I have readily done so before and make no apology for it. I'm not proud of murdering Earana, but I have no regrets and would do it again if necessary. I know she would have tried to kill me - and succeeded had I not preempted her. Rufio was different though. He was no threat to me. Whatever he did is best handled by the Legion. My killing is not for hire, and the Dark Brotherhood is not the family I seek."

I'm proud of you, my bowgirl.

I smiled faintly as I grasped the ladder to climb upstairs. "Thank you, my paladin. I need you right now. I feel kind of empty, like I just abandoned a family I never had."

Closing the trap door to the basement behind me, I looked around the main floor of the inn. The Redguard, Minerva was slouched in a chair at one of the tables, deep in her cups. A small fire crackled, providing much of the dim light that flickered across the walls.

Manheim Maulhand was behind the bar. The publican had always been nice to Daenlin and I whenever we stopped here during hunting trips. City Swimmer had told me he could be trusted, and that she sometimes sold stolen goods to him. He had directed me to Rufio, and I was confident the innkeeper's silence could be bought if necessary. "Hail, milady." The Nordic voice boomed effortlessly across the small inn. "What can old Manheim do for you?"

I climbed onto a barstool and looked up at him. "Perhaps some Tamika's wine, please?"

"Sure, milady. I take it your, uh, meeting with Rufio didn't cause any problems?" He filled a stone cup and placed it before me. Before continuing, he lowered his voice even though I suspected Minerva was oblivious to our conversation. "Buffy, you know your secrets are always safe with me."

I smiled at his cheerful discretion. "And I appreciate that, Maneheim. Rufio cannot help me find what I seek. He does need to talk to the Legion though. Do you know when Riveus, that handsome Imperial Forrester assigned to County Bravil, will stop by on his rounds?"

The Nord swept the low ceiling with his eyes and rubbed his chin for a moment. "Well, it's been several days, so I'd expect to see him on the morrow or perhaps the day after. He usually fills up on S'jirra's potato bread up the road, then stops here for some target practice and an ale."

I placed a large pile of gold coins on the bar and leaned closer to Manheim, allowing the front of my brown blouse to fall open a bit. "Can you do a couple favors for me?" I smiled sweetly and batted my eyelids like City Swimmer taught me.

Manheim's eyes went to the stack of gold first, then traveled down the front of my blouse, seemingly ignoring my fluttering eyelids. "Of course, milady. Whatever you need."

"Rufio is not hurt, but he is indisposed. I want you to make sure no one goes into the basement until Riveus arrives. When the Forrester does get here, I need you to make sure he goes downstairs and talks with Rufio right away. Will you do those things for me, please?"

Manheim's gaze traced a path from inside my blouse up to finally meet my eyes. "Of course, Buffy. And shall I tell Riveus you had a role in this?"

Smiling, I lifted the cup of Tamika's. "I'll leave tonight, as soon as I finish this. I was never here."

From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 27 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

Murder to protect yourself or a loved one is a lighter shade of grey than murder for hire. I'm glad Buffy made the choice she did, and I think she'll find it easier to live with herself now that she can't turn back.

And justice will come for Rufio.

I love how Buffy is learning to pick and choose her family - she already has one in the Bravil chapter of the Mages Guild, and doubtlessly she will find more members elsewhere.

You can't help the family you're born with, but you can choose the family you make.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Remko
post Sep 27 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #50

Finder
Group Icon

HAH- Death was too easy for that no good piece of horse manure anyway. For a moment I was thinking she was gonna get eeuhmm.. -surgical on parts he WOULD miss when she paralyzed him.

Well handled Buffy!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 27 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

This is quite an interesting change from the BF 1.0. I must say, I never had trouble killing Rufio (morally that is). I think Bethesda went out of their way to make sure that first time was an easy choice to make. Buffy's decision however, suited her perfectly. Here we see another important piece in the Buffy Doctrine™, she does not kill people who are not a direct threat to her. I am wondering, when will she formally put her doctrine down to parchment? Soon I think, with this, I think she pretty well has the code she lives by ironed out.

Since those are the same instructions you gave young Idonis Arcadia, they should be easy for you to follow.
This was particularly delicious!

You were born in the morning, Child of Dawn - but not this morning.
Or as Kid Rock said: "I was born at night, but not last night!" I love it!

I see Buffy is also practicing her fluttering eyelashes again. It seems she ought be fluttering something else however, considering what Mannheim was looking at! biggrin.gif As much as I loved how she set things up for the forester to arrest Rufio, I must admit that all I could think was "Buffy, don't eat Mannheim's soup!" It is not an accident that the forester goes to the Faregyl to eat!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 27 2010, 05:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 27 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #52

Mouth
Group Icon

Wowza! It's great that Buffy didn't kill Rufio and all but...now she has to carry that dagger everywhere for the rest of eternity!! biggrin.gif

But seriously this was a great chapter which Buffy handled well. I have a feeling that the dark brotherhood will be back...

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 27 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #53

Master
Group Icon

I am proud of Buffy, as well. Not only did she make the morally correct decision, she understood the factors that allowed Lucien to manipulate her.

And she also used her brain and her alchemy skills to ensure that Rufio will face justice.

I never had any fear for Buffy's soul- she would not travel with a paladin if it was too darkly tarnished.

This post has been edited by treydog: Sep 28 2010, 04:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 28 2010, 05:40 AM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow, this is a totally diff chapter than the original BF !!!! I like them both, and would hate to pick a fave.
Sounds like Damien Reynard has been training her in this version...or Eyja !!!!!!

Er...Letting Manheim peep at her goodies for such a small favor...what will she do for a large favor then? UH OH !!!!! ohmy.gif (no whistling emoticons zone) Tell Miss Buff to start out small, and only go higher if the bribe doesn't work!

So wait...unless Rufio has a heart attack from fear, does this mean she won't be meeting her new fam? Vicente, etc. ???? Does this render your chapter where Telaendril is in Bravil to kill the Draconis family - null for this version? ARGH !!!!!!! I loved that chapter !!!!

A GREAT WRITE !!!!!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 28 2010, 05:46 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 28 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

Your description of Buffy’s struggle to kill or not kill Rufio lifted this chapter to a higher plane than the last version. To give up the thing that you yearn for most to preserve your own principles is the stuff of heroes! Her solution to the problem was both inventive and expedient.

I am so glad that Buffy has chosen to retain her essential self through this trial. To loose that arrow into Rufio is to discard all that she is or could be.
I’m proud of you, my bowgirl.

As are we all. Brilliant stuff, Acadian.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 30 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #56

Paladin
Group Icon

Chapter 32 was the third episode of 'Dancing with Darkness'. Buffy's emotions went for a wild ride as she wrestled with whether to kill Rufio or not and complete her entry into the Dark Brotherhood. Ultimately, she left him alive, albeit he was a little worse for wear before she was done.

Rider- Thank you for understanding Buffy's desire for family and the need to belong. I think you are very right that she needs but open her eyes to see the family she already has. closedeyes.gif

Remko- I was hoping the reader would ponder for a moment whether Buffy might carve out some justice from Rufio's nether regions or, in some other way, directly relate her actions to the nature of his crime. Thank you for mentioning that we caused that thought to cross your mind.

SubRosa- Your're right that killing Rufio could perhaps be justified, and Buffy came close. I'm just pleased that she saw what might lie beyond, had she chosen that path. Thank you also for the very kind words on some of the passages you cited. 'Dancing with Darkness' was indeed the forge from which her doctrine will emerge - in the very next episode.

hazmick- Thank you. Yes, for a girl that won't touch a melee weapon, you can bet she won't be pleased about the Blade of Woe! Watch for it in the final episode below.

treydog- Thank you. It seems Buffy has trended towards the lighter side of the blade's edge and, like you, I am glad for it. I fully expect the side of her that tortured a highwayman for swinging an axe at Superian, murdered Earana, tortured Rufio and hunts bandits for sport is alive and well. At least her dark side is not for hire.

Like you, I also am proud of Buffy. Much to her chagrin, I tried to set the stage in such a way that did not make her choices simple or easy.

mALX- Once Buffy decided not to kill Rufio, the way she crafted her 'justice' did indeed remind me of the brilliantly sadistic thinking of your Eyja! As fun as an encounter between Buffy the Slayer and Vincente the Vampire might be, I don't believe it is in the cards.

As far as showing her goodies to Manheim, she was not happy to see that his eyes shot to that pile of gold before he even bothered to peek down her blouse. That he totally ignored her fluttering eyelids didn't help the poor elf's self image either. embarrased.gif

Destri- Thank you. Yes, as you so astutely say, this episode was all about emerging from an internal struggle. Buffy grew a great deal here.

All- We are proud to present the conclusion of 'Dancing with Darkness'. Buffy processes what she has learned, and gets the opportunity to display Her True Colors.

33 Dancing with Darkness, Part 4- Her True Colors

Standing just outside the open doorway of my house, I cradled a warm cup of tea between both hands and gazed out across Bravil. The morning guard patrol was systematically extinguishing the flickering streetlamps, preparing for the dawn of a new day.

Daenlin was returning from a night hunt with a small deer over his shoulder. We exchanged waves as he entered the Archer's Paradox next door. Dressed for a local hunt myself, I planned on heading out as soon as I finished my tea. I toyed with the idea of cancelling my outing and just inviting myself to dinner with my archery master. No, I decided - Daenlin's kill could feed us, but this wood elf needed the outdoors. I would track and stalk, but not try to take a deer today.

I saw Carandial heading towards the gate, no doubt for more research at the Ayleid Ruin, Anutwyll.

Pondering my exposure to the guild of assassins had occupied much of the last few days. Lucien had said that if I did not kill Rufio, I could proceed unmolested by the Dark Brotherhood.

I had spent hours of reflection in the peaceful comfort provided by the Great Chapel of Mara. Uravasa Othrelas had reviewed the Ten Commands of the Nine Divines with me. As a priestess of Mara, of course she emphasized the Third Command:

'Mara says: Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family.'

I needed something a little simpler and more specific, when it came to guiding the growing lethality of my skills.

Stepping to the edge of the raised dock that I called my front porch, I set the pewter teacup on one of the posts supporting the heavy rope that served as a hand rail. I reached into my pack. Just as I had a map to assist my travels, I now had a page of my journal devoted to guiding my actions. It had been refined and reduced to its simple essence by my experiences and reflection:

'The Buffy Doctrine - If you are kind to me, I will love you dearly; if you are mean to me or my friends, I will likely kill you.'

I didn't discuss my 'doctrine' with anyone except Acadian and Superian. Most would disapprove; I didn't care. I understood perfectly what it meant, and knew I would live out my life guided by it. Putting the journal away, I reached for my tea.

I welcomed the warmth on the right side of my face as the sun peeked over the walls of Castle Bravil. My other cheek remained in shadow. I was indeed a Child of Dawn - embracing the light, yet requiring the cloaking of darkness and stealth to survive.

Shimmering reflections of the sun now brightly danced across the surface of the river flowing in front of my home. In the blackness beneath the water, rested the dagger presented to me by Lucien Lachance. It had contained some form of magic that bound the weapon to me against my will. In the end, it was Acadian that had somehow removed the curse, allowing me to cast it away.

If there was a positive aspect to my involvement with the Dark Brotherhood, it was the realization of just how far my paladin would travel with me. When I had stood poised at the edge of an abyss staring into the dark void below, he had offered his counsel. Yet I knew, had my choice been to step off the cliff instead of backing away from it, he would not have abandoned me.

I saw Kud-Ei standing on the rear porch of our guild, also enjoying the sunrise. Shielding her eyes to see me against the early sun, she returned my wave across the river before stepping inside the guild. The wise Argonian was very perceptive, and always looking out for her mages. After I had returned from the Inn of Ill Omen, she sensed a change in me.

I vividly recalled what Kud-Ei had said: "Buffy, something is different about you. I see sadness in your eyes. . . and something else. I do not know what happened to you this last time you were out of town, and I am sure I probably do not want to know. They say wisdom comes from experience - and experience comes from bad judgment. Somehow, it looks like you have discovered that for yourself. Your eyes show a quiet wisdom, and the scars of one who has paid for it. The wisdom is quite attractive on you, but I hope the scars will fade." Kud-Ei had then smiled and gently placed her hand on my cheek. "I believe you have grown up, my Apprentice."

My city was waking to a beautiful day. Lifting the tea cup to my lips, I questioned why I had ever looked for family within a guild of assassins. My parents were gone and I had no real brothers or sisters; however, I had finally learned that I had all the family one could wish for. The people of this city, my guild mates, Superian and Acadian were my family. And they loved me. Kud-Ei was right. I had grown up.

A small disturbance by the Chapel of Mara caught my eye. It was City Swimmer, with a guard in pursuit. I chuckled. For all her 'sly sliding unseen' bravado, my wonderful friend was, quite frankly, rather poor at sneaking. She had likely stolen an apple or perhaps pinched a septim while inside the church.

I had seen this scenario unfold numerous times. If she had a few coins for the bounty, she would be home in an hour. Otherwise, she would be carried off to jail, only to emerge none the worse for wear a couple days later. In fact, she probably ate better while incarcerated than she did at home. Sometimes I would intercede and pay off her small bounty. Shaking my head with a smile, I mused that she should either learn to sneak better or give it up.

"Drop that dagger!" The guard's command cracked like a whip across the quiet morning air, as his hand sought the grip of a long sword. My heart jumped to my throat. City Swimmer was attempting to resist arrest! What was she thinking?

She lunged clumsily.

With experienced precision, the guard deflected the dagger with a left sweep of his shield. Steel sang from scabbard as he stepped back to negate City Swimmer's short range, and optimize the reach of his long sword. The guard then stepped two paces to his left, placing the sun directly in City Swimmer's eyes and thundered, "Drop it! I won't tell you again."

My tea cup rolling on the porch, I was half way across the bridge that spanned the river between us by the time she lunged at the guard again.

Another left sweep of his shield deftly brushed the dagger aside as the guard stepped back. He raised his blade, which brought City Swimmer's dagger and free hand up to block her face and neck. His feint having worked, the professional soldier instantly dropped his weapon to waist level and, at precisely the correct range for his long sword, slashed horizontally.

The tip of his blade arced unopposed below City Swimmer's raised hands and ripped through the scales of her abdomen. It was over as suddenly as it had begun.

The dagger fell from City Swimmer's hand as she clutched her midsection and collapsed.

I slid to a stop on my knees next to her and screamed at the guard. "What did you do!?!"

"City Swimmer, can you hear me?" I pleaded. Blood was pumping from her gaping wound. I ripped off my blouse and pressed it against her in an effort to stop the bleeding. "You'll be ok, my friend," I lied.

City Swimmer looked at me dazed, her breathing labored. Frantically, I grabbed a healing potion from my pack and tried to make her drink. It was no use - she was retching blood now and couldn't drink the potion. With each spasm, I could feel her Argonian organs attempting to emerge from the wound as they pulsed against my makeshift bandage.

I lowered my face to hers as she tried to speak. "Waterfront. . . midnight. . . Garden, Daraloth. Gray Ffff. . . " As the words trailed off, I rose to my feet so I could cast a spell. Leaning over my friend, the white glow that filled my hands also engulfed her. While bound to City Swimmer by healing magic, her pain rippled through my own body until I could barely breathe. I could feel life her fading away. The damage was just too much as I collapsed back to my knees. She went limp in my arms, and her beautiful orange eyes slowly closed for the last time.

I jumped to my feet, bow in hand. Stepping back from the mail-clad guard while nocking an arrow, I spat the words, "Why did you have to kill her?" I could recognize the Imperial now. His name was Gladius Maro. Although not much older than I, he was a seasoned Legion soldier who had only recently been assigned here. It was just within the fortnight that I had introduced myself and welcomed him to Bravil. He had commented that he was looking forward to a break from the unrest, blood and snow of Skyrim.

The tip of Gladius' sword still dripped crimson. He did not raise it against me now, nor did he position his shield to block my arrow. I could see no fear on his face - only what looked like grief for City Swimmer and compassion for me. Our eyes searched each other for answers that were not there. "Buffy, I had no choice. She refused to stand down her attack."

Gladius spoke the truth. There was no target here, and Slayer could not heal my pain. I eased the bowstring forward. The weapon and arrow fell away from my hands. "I-I'm sorry Gladius. I should not have threatened you. I cannot imagine what possessed City Swimmer. Y-you did what you had to do."

Kneeling again by the lifeless Argonian, I held her to me. I winced at the cold finality of the sound behind me, as Gladius' sword slid into its scabbard. A moment later I heard the rustle of cloth, and felt his surcoat being draped over my bare shoulders. Only then did I realize my blood-soaked blouse was still pressed against City Swimmer's wound.

"I'm sorry, Buffy." Gladius' steel-clad hand now fell gently upon my shoulder. "I wish there had been another way."

I stroked City Swimmer's face as my tears flowed freely. After several moments, my small bloody fingers trembled upwards to grasp the gauntleted hand that had killed my friend. "I know."

City Swimmer had spent her last moments of life trying to give me something. Knowing the contents of her humble home, I had no doubt it was indeed her most valued prize.

She had promised to one day tell me about the Gray Fox, in return for saving her life during a trip we had made to the Imperial City. I had killed a man to defend her, and gone to prison for it. "I couldn't save you this time, my friend," I whispered against the lifeless Argonian's cheek. "Not from yourself. No one could."

I never had the heart to tell her that a beggar had long ago imparted the secret of the Gray Fox to me. Perhaps someday, I would visit this Garden of Dareloth that City Swimmer deemed worthy of her dying breaths.

This post has been edited by Acadian: May 2 2011, 10:41 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Remko
post Sep 30 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #57

Finder
Group Icon

I remembered this part from BSGF and knew exactly what was gonna happen but it was still a sad part.
Which is a total credit to you, the author.

Painful but beautiful nonetheless.

Poor, poor City-Swimmer sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 30 2010, 03:57 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

…this wood elf needed the outdoors. I would track and stalk, but not try to take a deer today.

Not surprising that Buffy does her best thinking when she is in her element.

I welcomed the warmth on the right side of my face as the sun peeked over the walls of Castle Bravil. My other cheek remained in shadow. I was indeed a Child of Dawn - embracing the light, yet requiring the cloaking of darkness and stealth to survive.

That is a perfect moment of clarity and of character definition.

Buffy’s understanding of herself and of the family that she has chosen to create were wonderful. That is especially so with what comes toward the end of this chapter. Kud-Ei is once more a wise and reassuring presence, one of the anchors that keeps Buffy from drifting…

The episode with City Swimmer was perfectly, tragically drawn. We are carried along as Buffy’s initial amusement gives way to shock, grief, anger, and acceptance. Buffy’s new-found maturity is shown as she realizes that Gladius really had no choice. How different that is from the incident that caused Buffy’s imprisonment.

Gladius spoke the truth. There was no target here, and Slayer could not heal my pain.

Another perfectly-crafted moment. This entire chapter is a shining example of what we all aspire to when we write. And it also shows why Buffy has such a special place in so many hearts. We have spoken before of passages that "sing" to us; here we have an entire chapter, a prose symphony, which is pitch-perfect.

One missing letter, I think:

I could also feel her fading way.

I believe you wanted "away" there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 30 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Treydog already picked out my favorite passages, especially the Child of Dawn in the sunrise.

The scene with City-Swimmer and Gladius rings true the second time around, and for some reason it is more emotionally effective. Whether it is your writing has improved, or my writing of Julian's experiences in Bravil, or both, I really don't know, and I don't care. That scene is a powerful ending to a song of a chapter.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 30 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

This was not only a pleasant return home, but one that highlights the relationships that make Bravil home for Buffy. Daenlin, Carandial, Kud-Ei, etc... This was the prefect backdrop to weave in Buffy's realization of her doctrine and the end of her inner journey over the last few segments. Because this shows us the foundation to her life, which in turn explains all of her actions, including her doctrine. As she muses herself, this was her family. Given a different past, without the strong relationships she possess, she might easily have taken up Lucien on his offer...

I welcomed the warmth on the right side of my face as the sun peeked over the walls of Castle Bravil. My other cheek remained in shadow.
Now this was a simply delightful way to symbolize the dual nature of Buffy's character!

Likewise, a nice explanation for how Buffy was able to remove the quest flag from the DB dagger! biggrin.gif

They say wisdom comes from experience - and experience comes from bad judgment.
Quoted for truth here. I have always put it as: wisdom comes after making so many mistakes in life, that you simply have none left to make.

And finally, City Swimmer meets her inevitable end. In a way, it is almost fitting that it happen at just this moment, as Buffy realizes she is no longer a girl, but is now a woman. City Swimmer was part of her past, and emphasized the indiscretions of youth. As Buffy herself thought watching City Swimmer run for it, why could the Argonian not learn, as she had? Buffy has matured from that wide-eyed and impetuous girl who wound up in the Imperial Prison. City Swimmer never did.

nits:
As a Priest of Mara,
I think you were looking for priestess?

--------------------
+Quote Post

15 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:52 PM