Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Postponing the Main Quest
Grits
post Dec 9 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Yay, new section!! Thank you very much. smile.gif

For those who want to postpone the Main Quest for a dragon-free game, here’s what is working for me.

I have two characters who have told the Jarl of Whiterun about the dragon at Helgen but have not gone to Bleak Falls Barrow. There have not been any dragons in either of their games (other than Alduin at Helgen), and one is Level 19. I think it should be safe to go into Whiterun and even talk to the Jarl, if you stay out of BFB.

Of course you can’t buy the Whiterun house without completing Dragon Rising, at least that’s my understanding.

It might be an even later event that starts the dragons, does anyone know? Maybe returning to the Jarl after the events in BFB. As soon as the next patch comes out for the PS3 I’ll do a little barrow diving and see what happens.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 9 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

I would think that dragons don't start appearing until you defeat the first one at East Watchtower and learn you are Dragonborn. That way, you don't see any until the game has introduced you to fighting them, and giving you a small army to help you out.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 9 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I too have avoided Bleak Falls Barrow in my game (thanks to King Coin's warning) - and am also enjoying a dragon-free game.

In fact, I actually "discovered" Bleak Falls Barrow by accident last week, and was scared to death I may have triggered the dragons.

I ran like a banshee (did NOT go inside at all). I watched the sky a LOT after that to see if any dragons appeared - really didn't want to have to load a previous save unless necessary.

So far (thank goodness) still having a great dragon-free game.

--------------------
+Quote Post
liliandra nadiar
post Dec 9 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Finder
Group Icon

You sure it's going into BFB that triggers dragons? I would think it would be either the Word, the druger boss or looting the dragonstone that would set it off. Giving the stone to Faragar sets off Dragon Rising so I had been thinking it was the trigger point for dragons.

--------------------
"When in danger, or in doubt.
Run in Circles, scream and shout."
The Tides of Oblivion
Shot of the week:Hunter and Prey.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 9 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(liliandra nadiar @ Dec 9 2011, 11:40 AM) *

You sure it's going into BFB that triggers dragons? I would think it would be either the Word, the druger boss or looting the dragonstone that would set it off. Giving the stone to Faragar sets off Dragon Rising so I had been thinking it was the trigger point for dragons.

I think the trigger is probably somewhere in Dragon Rising like TK said. Staying out of BFB means you can’t get the stone that starts the whole thing, which is easier for me to remember and my only safe recommendation. I’m going to try starting Dragon Rising and going as far as meeting Irileth at the Western Watchtower but not talking to the surviving guard for awhile and see what happens. I think the last conversation triggers Mirmulnir, and then it’s dragons ho! I just don’t remember which is the last conversation that the player initiates. Is it the one at the tower with Irileth, or does the player find the surviving guard there? I’m guessing that one of those is the point of no return. That’s what I’m going to check.

As soon as we get the patch. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
liliandra nadiar
post Dec 9 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Finder
Group Icon

I know just approaching the tower will start the attack, once the guard starts walking down the ramp it starts. And he'll do that even if no one's near. Nither Irileth or I were close enough to trigger the conversation, and on two occasions Irileth and the guard hadn't even arrived yet.

As far as I remember, the last player triggered conversation is giving the stone to the mage. Don't know if the PC being there would have an effect on the conversation with the Jarl and the guard, I know Irelith and her 'pep-talk' will go with or without the PC. I think I'll do some testing of start up conditions as well.

--------------------
The Tides of Oblivion
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 9 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

All I know is, putting Bleak Falls Barrow on the map did not trigger it, but I'm not going inside and pressing my luck till I'm darn good and ready for dragons to pop out.

When I am ready, I'll retrieve the stone and then wander around, see if anything is different.

** Also, something to think about: In Oblivion the gates were set off by bringing Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple. After that you could trigger gates by walking through areas, but they wouldn't pop up till the next time you came through.

It may be the same with the dragons. Maybe going into Bleak Falls Barrow enables them, and the player triggers certain random ones by walking through areas - but won't see that dragon till the next time they walk through that particular place.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 9 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

The trigger things for the Dragons is giving the stone to the Wizard in the Jarl's place...

I did the Golden Claw quest in BFB pretty much as soon as I started the game...You can do the whole thing...Beat the boss at the end, grab the Dragonstone (granted you can't then drop it and it weighs 25), then learn the word and no dragons...

I didn't start the MQ till I was in the Level 30s...I'm now Level 42...So now there's something about me, bayaybeeh soo riiiiight...*Cough*...Sorry...Decent English band alert!!...

Aaamywho...Methinks talking to the Jarl about Dragons is Taking The Amulet To Jauffre™ and giving the Dragonstone to the dude is Finding Martin™ which sets the whole thing off...
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 10 2011, 04:44 AM
Post #9

Councilor
Group Icon

Good grief, I never thought about how much the stone would weigh. ohmy.gif I'm glad my characters aren't dragging that thing around! Just think of all the fur shoes they would have to leave behind when they're looting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 10 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Dec 9 2011, 10:44 PM) *

Good grief, I never thought about how much the stone would weigh.

For some reason you now have me thinking of the Simpson's/X-Files crossover, when Moe and crew and carrying the Killer Whale. "Who would've thought a whale could be so heavy?" wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 10 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 9 2011, 10:55 PM) *
For some reason you now have me thinking of the Simpson's/X-Files crossover, when Moe and crew and carrying the Killer Whale. "Who would've thought a whale could be so heavy?" wink.gif

laugh.gif D'oh!! I've been made lazy by Oblivion's zero weight quest items! tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 10 2011, 05:11 AM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Btw...For all those wanting to do the Golden Claw thing in BFB, you can start it in Riverwood Trading in...Umm...Where was it again?...Damn...

Aaaanyways...If you just go in there you can get to the end by rescuing the dude from the spidey then searching him later, you get the claw from him...Then more exploring...But it belongs to the shop...

Just so you know...
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 10 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Dec 9 2011, 11:11 PM) *

Btw...For all those wanting to do the Golden Claw thing in BFB, you can start it in Riverwood Trading in...Umm...Where was it again?...Damn...

Aaaanyways...If you just go in there you can get to the end by rescuing the dude from the spidey then searching him later, you get the claw from him...Then more exploring...But it belongs to the shop...

Just so you know...

...Er...huh? So even if we find the claw on a dead guy, it is owned by someone else? Can we use it first before returning it to the traders?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Dec 10 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that Dragon Rising incites the appearance of the dragons. You can go into Bleak Falls Barrow, claim the Golden Claw and the Dragonstone, and even make your way back to Dragonsreach. As long as you don’t turn the Dragonstone over to Farengar you should be safe. I have actually gone into Farengar’s office and eavesdropped on his conversation with Delphine with the Dragonstone in my inventory (I wanted to use the Arcane Enchanter). Then I left and literally walked (not ran) from Whiterun to Riften to Winterhold to Markarth with no further thoughts (or appearances) of dragons. When I went back eleven levels later Farengar was still talking to Delphine. Just be quick because the moment he finishes talking to Delphine he initiates conversation with you and takes the Dragonstone. Even then you can still get away without triggering the dragons as long as Irileth doesn't show up. When Irileth comes into the room and says: “A dragon has been spotted . . .” that locks you into Dragon Rising, Mirmulnir, and the rest of the cliff racers, er . . . dragons.

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 10 2011, 07:55 AM) *

...Er...huh? So even if we find the claw on a dead guy, it is owned by someone else? Can we use it first before returning it to the traders?

Hint: You have to use it to get the Dragonstone. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 10 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Dec 10 2011, 04:10 PM) *

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
*snip*
Hint: You have to use it to get the Dragonstone. wink.gif

Well...I kind of figured that, lol. But I was not sure how one gets it into their own inventory with no stolen tags on it, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
liliandra nadiar
post Dec 11 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #16

Finder
Group Icon

It's probably marked as a lootable quest item, so you can pick it up from the dark elf and use it, but not get rid of it until you talk to Lucy in the Riverwood Trader.

--------------------
The Tides of Oblivion
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 12 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, having completed Bleak Flats Barrow for both the Golden Hand and the Court Wizard in Whiterun (but not completing either quest) last night - I went to Shearpoint and waited several days, plus fast traveled in several times - no dragons !! WOO HOO !!!

Before I shut everything down I was trying to get Throat of the World on my map without doing any quests to get there. So far no luck. Am seriously considering buying a horse and trying, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 17 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

I just ran through this with Jensa. Wow, if you're standing close enough everything just keeps happening. I thought there were dialog breaks, but nope. It's the way Destri described.

If I want to avoid dragons, I'll avoid picking up the Dragonstone in BFB. Otherwise my nerves will be wrecked every time I go in to talk to Farengar. I can see me getting my character stuck running against a table in panic while Irileth keeps getting closer. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 17 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Dec 17 2011, 12:48 PM) *

I just ran through this with Jensa. Wow, if you're standing close enough everything just keeps happening. I thought there were dialog breaks, but nope. It's the way Destri described.

If I want to avoid dragons, I'll avoid picking up the Dragonstone in BFB. Otherwise my nerves will be wrecked every time I go in to talk to Farengar. I can see me getting my character stuck running against a table in panic while Irileth keeps getting closer. blink.gif

Maybe you can run up to the deck and fast travel from there !!! Lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 17 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

Erm...Couldn't you just avoid going to Dragonsreach?... biggrin.gif ...I did for absolutely ages...

And when I had to go there for a seperate quest I just kept backing out of the conversations with Irileth...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:01 PM