Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memoirs of a Morag Tong Assassin: Vvardenfell, Chapter Six: An Old Friend to Kill...
The Metal Mallet
post Dec 26 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

Wow! You did ALL of that in one day? Unbelievable! Post Machine is definitely fitting for you. But I guess the holidays gives one lots of time to write. Hopefully I'll be able to make use of that as well.

Anyways, I found your latest editions to be fantastic as always. The Fang of Haynekhtnamet is a sweet dagger too. I found everything to be brillant, especially all the face-offs between Sethyas and the Dagoths. I like the verbal exchanges between them.

I can't wait to see the epic conclusion to this Main Quest!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
minque
post Dec 26 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #22

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ah what mallie said.....wonderful work we see here....ach....*sigh*

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Dec 30 2006, 12:47 PM
Post #23

Master
Group Icon

‘I'm one of the oldest things to ever have slipped from a womb, Lord Nerevar, but I've never heard of anyone talked to death. Of course, there's always a first time. And I was brought up properly. I know it's not polite to interrupt. So you just go ahead. Talk all you want. And when you're done, go home. Or take your best shot. It's all the same to me."

The creature, Lord Vemyn of Vemynal, was the second holder of the tools of Kagrenac. Hanging from his loincloth, was the enchanted hammer, Sunder. It sang with a magnetic resonance to Wraithguard and Keening, and even as I held the Bow of Shadows with the string taut, the creature mocked me with his non-chalance of my imminent attack.

“Why not just pick up the hammer and attack me, Vemyn? Surely you’re not afraid? Do you fear its true power?”

“Ha! I’ve spent ages wishing to handle it. And now, the opportunity is as close as your hand. But I think you wish to make this a bit more challenging then just handing Wraithguard over, don’t you? In fact I’m thinking that I’ll have to pry it off your cold dead hand…or just rip off your hand while you live.”

“You’re welcome to try.” I said as I released the poisoned silver arrow to his heart.

But the brothers of the Sixth House are not easily felled, and he broke the black shaft with a splintering crack, leaving the tip of the arrow imbedded in his chest. With a roar that signaled his readiness to fight, Vemyn rushed me and I jumped back from attack.

The next move was very unexpected, as the Dagoth grabbed my leg while I was in mid-air, and he swung me down to the ground with a terrible strength. I nearly blacked out from the pain of my skull making a sickening crack against the cold Dwemer floor. My entire being seemed to buzz with shock, and I felt a strong leg slam into my chest, breaking a few ribs as the power of the reverberated through the floor.

“Ha. I think I will just rip your hand off. And present the rest of your dying husk to Dagoth Ur as a battle trophy! Lord Nerevar, dying at the battle of Red Mountain. How history does renew itself!” the inhuman voice came through dully and slowed down by my intense pain. It couldn’t end like this…but, as I had often said, death comes for us all, not one of us can escape it’s nets.

We have seen History Reborn, and with your re-coming, we may yet see history rewritten…spoke Nibani Maesa through the haze. Sweet Mother, ease me into your arms, so that I may know suffering no longer.

My hand moved slowly, Wraithguard moving itself to Keening. Whether or not my enemy saw, I do not know, but the power of the dagger filled me with its magic once more, much of my own life force replaced by its own. My eyes opened, and I saw the red eyes of the Dagoth looking down upon me with disbelief. I rose. It stepped back.

“And then Vivec withdrew into the hidden places and found the darkest mothers of the Morag Tong, taking them all to wife and filling them with undusted loyalty that tasted of summer salt.” I said slashing the chest of Vemynal.

“ They became as black queens, screaming live with a hundred murderous sons, a thousand murderous arms, and a hundred thousand murderous hands, one vast moving event of thrusting-kill-laughter in alleys, palaces, workshops, cities and secret halls” I said driving the dagger deep into his abdomen.

“Their movements among the holdings of the Ra'athim were as rippled endings, heaving between times, with all fates leading to swallowed knives, murder as moaning, God's holy rape-erasure of wet death!!” I cried as I brought the daggers edge along his throat, the ritual ending of life in the Name and Glory of the Webspinner, Mephala.

I took his Amulet of Heartheal, Sixth House Amulet, and Sunder.

“Thirty Six Lessons of Vivec, Sermon Twenty Two, Final Paragraph, the Ending of the Words are ALMSIVI.” I said to the corpse of Dagoth Vemyn. I wasn’t a devout Temple-goer, but I loved that part.

Next. The final outer assault, and that would lie well across the Mountain, to the East. Tureynulal. But I could see the pool of blood from where I was slammed to the ground like a rag doll, and as my adrenaline subsided, I grew weak and faint, not even the power of Keening could keep me on my feet as I collapsed to the ground in a heap, the blackness swallowing me, and I descended into a nightmare.

Gigantic ash statues replaced the former ones of Vehk, red lights adorned every corner of the Cantons of Vivec. Ordinators that were once elves, were now slow limping husks of corprus. Bodies lay everywhere in the water, turning the color into a sickly dark brown. The Moon had crashed into the High Fane, leaving a rubbled pile of its former glory. To the southwest, one could see what was once Ebonheart, now little more then Stone and Flames. And trudging through the sea as though it were a mere puddle, was a Numidium, and perched on its shoulder, bearing Wraithguard and Sunder and Keening, was Dagoth Ur, in a Golden Mask, and crowing Victory to the Heavens.

And within the Arena, deep beneath its sparring pen, lay the lifeless form of Ilmeni Dren. Her eyes opened, but they were a milky white, not red. Her dry cracked lips parted as though to say something. But no words came, and my terror rose to levels I never knew.

And from deep within the grave of Setsuna, her long black hair flew wildly around a sea of amniotic fluid that encased her. Her heart began to beat…slowly. Then faster, and faster. Until it rose up to a drumbeat. A beat of war, of that of marching soldiers. Her blood became that of patriotism, of the Dunmeri and their harsh past and present. Of My people.

And the Voice of Azura broke through, bringing clarity to a dark vision of things that may be.

He speaks the law for Veloth's people.
He speaks for their land, and names them great.

“Rise Hortator, Savior, and Nerevarine!”

“Arise, Nerevar!” her voice filled my senses with their light, and I was renewed.

She then spoke it once more….this time…..sarcastically?

“Hey Nerevar! Wake Up!” came the familiar voice.

“Azura?” I asked groggily, slowly returning to the land of the living.

“No, but I am rather divine when you think about it!”

I looked at the figure in the Netch Leather Armor, and Morag Tong mask.

“Rayne?! What the hell??!!” I sputtered out, rubbing the side of my face.

“Didn’t think I’d let’cha have ALL the fun, did you? The ‘armiger scouts said they saw you head towards here last, and I figured I see if you needed my help. Judging from all the blood you lost, you do. Think Keening there was the only thing keeping you alive. That and my medicines…”

“Well, thanks for the save….you can go back home now.” I said gratefully.

“Oh no! I’m helping you whether you want me to or not, pal! Going about this alone will only get you killed. As witnessed by your latest encounter over there.” She said pointing over at Vemyns Corpse.

In truth, it was good to have a companion in all this. Ilmeni was no Warrior, nor would I let her get any closer to the War then Bal Isra. Others were needed elsewhere, plus Rayne Alas has proved herself to be a capable and cunning assassin. A sarcastic one, but her lighter attitude was a pleasant contrast to the serious nature of the Morag Tong. Even Eno had admitted a growing fondness for it. That and she knew when to shut up, and when to make cracks.

“Very well. You will join me. But slow me down, or get in my way, and I’ll cast an Almsivi Intervention on you, understand? What I say, goes.”

“Of course, Exalted Master.” She said with a false tone followed by a giggle. I couldn’t see her expression under the mask, but I could see her eyes glinting with mischief.

“What’s our next move?” she said sitting on a Dwemer Table and sitting cross-legged, removing her mask, and letting her long dark hair fall about her.

“Tureynulal, I have all three of the necessary artifacts too sever the connection of Dagoth Ur to the Heart of Lorkhan, but I don’t want any surprises. The Ash Vampires must all die, the Sixth House must not have any Heads left to lead it. The remaining armies can be destroyed afterward as they’ll be divided and weak.” I said as I examined Sunder, I hadn’t felt it’s power yet.

Gripping the handle of the heavy hammer, I felt the rush that I had with Keening, except this time it was different. I felt my Strength and Endurance increased, along with my attack capability and luck even! But, merely holding the hammer even, seemed to tire me out. Not by a great deal, but just enough for it to be noticeable. I found its aura to be that of a mystical warrior’s that lived for face-to-face battle. It was hard to believe that these devices were created for tapping into a Gods Heart, but then again, it would take devices of unimaginable power to do so, and the mystery of Kagrenac continued.

“So that’s Sunder, eh? Hows it feel?”

“Good….DAMN good. I feel like, like, I could hammer in the face of a god with this thing. Heh. Technically, I am going to.” I said trying Sunder out, and I managed to reduce a Dwemer Closet to a nightstand in mere seconds, while Rayne covered her ears with a pained look.

“Its not very subtle, is it?” my compatriot remarked.

“Subtlety may not be an option where we’re going. And these babies are going to get some exercise for the first time in four-thousand years! By Azura, the battle will be glorious!” I said not realizing how I sounded.

“You sound like a drunken Nord, Seth. Sure those weapons aren’t getting to you?”

I blinked as I thought about her comment, and she was right. I dropped Sunder, and let it lay on the ground as I stared at its marvelous enchantment.

“You gonna pick it up, or should I?” Rayne broke the silence.

“You can’t, not without its power ripping you apart. You need Wraithguard. Rayne. These devices, they’re dangerous. If I die…”

“Don’t say that!”

I shot her a look. “IF I die, you must take Wraithguard, and Keening and Sunder to Dagoth Ur. Do whatever it takes. Be cunning, don’t go for a head-on collision with him, don’t let the power of the tools fool you, they can make you start thinking that you are a God. But you’re not…” I slipped out Keening, and gazed into the crystal. “You’re still a foolish mortal, playing one. Much like Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal. Azura help me if I can’t control myself, we men are wretched things…”

“The Tribunal is powered by the Heart? They’re the same as the Devil? Then that means….”

“It means that if my plans come to fruition, it will be the beginning of the end for them, yes. It is a sacrifice they seem willing to make, or at least Vehk is, I haven’t spoken to Almalexia or Sotha Sil.”

“What is Vivec like, in person?” Rayne asked curiously.

I thought about it. “He….is a very sad man. I believe that he buries millennia of sorrow within himself, much like a Child whom grows up, only to find that his toys no longer interest him, but the toys are still important, and he must dedicate himself to preserving them at all costs, he does not live for himself, but rather the constant preservation of others.”

“Is it true that he killed Nerevar?”

“No, and Yes. Vivec the mortal, in his blind folly to make himself a God, did. Vivec the God, in his transformed state, shed the blind dull cloak of mortality, and became something else entirely, he entered into the timelessness of the divine, meaning that he always was, always is, and shall always be. He surpassed, and preceded his mortal self, therefore, Vivec the God, did not murder Nerevar.”

“That’s…..complicated.”

“Not really….but we delay and tarry in discussion too long. Tureynulal awaits, and its time to see how well your skills as an Assassin have developed, Student.”

She jumped off the table, and hugged me. “That means you’ll teach me finally?” she screamed in delight.

“Maybe….but…take this, I no longer have need of it, and I believe it will help you immensely in our time to come. It was gifted to me from Mephala herself, and I pass it on to you, may it serve you well.” I said slipping off the Ring of Khajiit, and putting it on her hand.

“Ooooh! Shiny!” she said admiringly, as she disappeared before my eyes. “But can you do this?” The disembodied voice asked.

I disappeared with the Bow of Shadows. “Yes. Now quit playing around, and lets go….as soon as we can see each other again….”
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 30 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

That was quite an amusing conversation.

On the other hand, the more serious undertone was good as well. Sethyas clearly struggles with the power of the tools he now holds. Let's hope he doesn't try anything stupid, like a frontal battle with Dagoth Ur. Legion rule 34: Don't go for the show, go for the kill.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Dec 30 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

Great update Black. I second jack's remarks about the amusing conversation and the effect the tools have on Sethyas. Hopefully they don't delude him when the need is dire. It'll be interesting to see how Rayne and Sethyas work together.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
canis216
post Dec 30 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #26

Knower
Group Icon

I love your use of Sermon 22... and everything else. Great entry.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Dec 30 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

Thanks Canis, twas inspired by Pulp Fiction!

Also...I'm Cancelling this story...that was the last entry...ever. Sethyas is no more. I may do some occasional short stories here and there, but I'm afraid with RL concerns, I cannot focus on this as much, if at all, and I don't think it worth frustrating the hell out of my mind trying to get one or two updates a month in...

..I'm sorry folks.

NOT!

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 30 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

What's not? You cancelling the story or you being sorry? I personally hope (and believe) the former. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Dec 30 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Both...If Im NOT cancelling the story, then I have nothing to be sorry for.

(The story is not being cancelled. Expect regular updates, this was all my version of a sick and twisted joke.)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 30 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

Oops, guess I've spoiled the joke. Sorry! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Dec 31 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #31

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Dec 30 2006, 10:50 PM) *

Thanks Canis, twas inspired by Pulp Fiction!

Also...I'm Cancelling this story...that was the last entry...ever. Sethyas is no more. I may do some occasional short stories here and there, but I'm afraid with RL concerns, I cannot focus on this as much, if at all, and I don't think it worth frustrating the hell out of my mind trying to get one or two updates a month in...

..I'm sorry folks.

NOT!

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Dec 30 2006, 10:59 PM) *

Both...If Im NOT cancelling the story, then I have nothing to be sorry for.

(The story is not being cancelled. Expect regular updates, this was all my version of a sick and twisted joke.)

BLACKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the sake of my sanity.....do not even think of cancelling Sethyas!

This last update was beautiful!

I must quote a passage that moved me deeply:

And within the Arena, deep beneath its sparring pen, lay the lifeless form of Ilmeni Dren. Her eyes opened, but they were a milky white, not red. Her dry cracked lips parted as though to say something. But no words came, and my terror rose to levels I never knew.

And from deep within the grave of Setsuna, her long black hair flew wildly around a sea of amniotic fluid that encased her. Her heart began to beat…slowly. Then faster, and faster. Until it rose up to a drumbeat. A beat of war, of that of marching soldiers. Her blood became that of patriotism, of the Dunmeri and their harsh past and present. Of My people.

By the way expect Seth to appear in my story...soon again! tongue.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 1 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Rayne hopped nimbly from one side of the ancient Dwemer ledge to the other, as I landed where she was. Her Netch Leather was a stark contrast to my Dark Brotherhood clothmail, but assassins alike we were. And our target wandered the halls of Tureynulal, unaware of our presence, Dagoth Tureynal, number six on the hit list.

I motioned through battlecode as to our next move, and Rayne nodded that she understood, unslinging her bonemold bow, and nocking an arrow. I waited until the creatures back was turned, and leapt down. My feet making nary a sound as I landed.

I crept slowly to the Dagoth, shadow and silence crept to the unaware mark like the hand of death, while my hand moved to the Black Hands Dagger, the dark blades hunger cried out through my hand, cleaving the air, and severing the spine in the low back. The inhuman cry of pain was followed by a soft whisper of Raynes arrow, the tip impaling like a kiss of death.

Less then a minute later, the powerful heartwright’s back resembled a pincushion, and I was fingering the grand soul gem encasing his spirit, with the amulet of Hearthrum swinging from my hand.

“He’s got quite a library here. Whats this? ‘Galur Rithari’s Papers’ “Vampires of Vvardenfel Volume II’ Sheesh, the Temple would have a field day in this place! Hmm. ‘Kagrenacs Planbook.’ This interest you Seth?” Rayne said brushing off an old tome.

I looked over at the red cover, and looked over the Dwemer runes, with many notations and mathematical ponderings in a strange language. “Yeah. I’ll want to see what’s in this later. I’ll return for the rest of this stuff...if we live through this that is.”

“So…now we go to hell?” She said cleaning out her fingernails with the tip of her glass dagger. “To Dagoth Ur’s Citadel I mean. House of the Devil…and all that.”

I nodded grimly. “It would seem so. I don’t know if it’s wise to hold back, or to strike fast. He no doubt can sense the Dagoths demises, whether he knows where I am now, or if I am coming. I know not. But we know where he is, and we are Assassins that are turning the tide of the War for the Dunmeri.”

“I thought you were Nerevar fulfilling Azura’s prophecies.”

“That too. And whatever role I am. Whether I was a Crusader or Sorcerer, the end result would be the same, Dagoth Ur must die.” I said with a cold glint to my eye.

“And how do you plan bringing that about? You know nothing about his capabilities or defenses, he might welcome you with seemingly open arms, but that will al be a mere deception to separate you from the profane tools.”

“His weakness lies in the heart, and his self-assurance that it makes him invincible. He does not know that I know how to sever the link. Nor would he expect me willing to do so, my guess is that he would think that I would desire the power for myself.”

“Why wouldn’t you?! To become a GOD! That would have to be the greatest thing ever!” she squealed. “And you…you could figure out how to use the heart, I know you could...you would be like…the God of the Morag Tong, the Patron of all Assassins!”

I shook my head, and groaned. “Rayne. Vivec broke an oath to me millennia ago, it is his greatest regret in life. Dagoth Ur used the heart as well, and look at all he has ‘accomplished’, the Nightmarish enemy of the Sixth House. You think I would wish any of these things to befall me? Ha! I already possess a measure of immortality, I am an accomplished Assassin, from a mere bandit-assassin to a Councilman of a House have I risen, with words and deeds, I have united a people to fight together once more. All these things I did with my own hands and skills. Honor guides me, where hunger once did.”

“Power exists for its own sake. And it corrupts those who desire it, over those who deserve it. I will not become Dagoth Ur’s replacement, sometimes it takes a monster to kill a monster, but I will not lose myself in this blasphemy of the Divine. Wisdom is a far greater call then the one for Power. And you think after all I’ve seen, all I’ve manipulated and cajoled and killed to serve my own ends, that I would put myself in harms way? You have much to learn. Your first lesson: Simply because a thing CAN be done, does not mean that it SHOULD be. Plan your every movement, and keep the end in sight.”

She lowered her head as I chided her, the weight of my words sinking in. The world was far more then just her playground, and she was slowly learning that. I had to do it the hard way. She may well have to as well.

I sat in thought for a long time. The creaking of the Dwemer Machinery being tuned out by my meditiation, as I tried to separate my feelings, my fear, from the next step. An assault onto the Devil himself. If I fell back now, Dagoth Ur would have time to regroup, to add more of his Ash minions to his defense. Not to mention I had the tools. But if I died, which was likely, Dagoth Ur would have free and open access to the heart, and the Sixth House’ plans would be excelled, and the attack would be dooming the world, rather then saving it. Damned if do, and damned if I don’t. I would rather do.

“We assault Dagoth Ur. Sweet Azura, I pray that I am not making the wrong decision here, but I think, and feel, that it is the right one. He may see my disbanding of the Heartwrights as a play for power and prominence within House Dagoth. I say that I should play into that assumption. Let my trade be his downfall. If he underestimates me, then that’s exactly what I need.”

“Lets do it then...for Mephala!” Rayne exclaimed.

“For Redoran, for Ald’Ruhn!’

And back into the blighted red storm we journeyed, and through the guardian statues of the long dead Dwemer, we beheld the swirling mists that raged above the final Citadel.

“Hey. Whats that? Off in the distance...” Rayne pointed to the horizon.

I saw the jagged towering architecture of a Daedric Shrine. I had seen them everywhere from West Gash to Zafirbel Bay. But here on Red Mountain, it was the strangest, and yet most fitting place for one.

Normally, I would have put off side exploration for focusing on the objective at hand. But something told me that I needed to go there. I felt like there was a missing piece of a larger puzzle in it. Something larger that I was also involved in.

“Ularradallaku. A shrine to Mehrunes Dagon from the look of it.” Rayne said, reciting her knowledge of the terrain.

“Dagon? Then, that’s the missing piece. The final thread is in here, Rayne.”

“Thread?”

I told her the story of the missing threads of the webspinner, of the Agent Orc in Sadrith Mora, and the Dark Brotherhood Khajiit residing in Vivec, and how I had come across all of the 25 threads, except one. I could not for the life of me figure out where the final thread was.

Within minutes, all of the residents of the shrine were dead, and I lifted the right hand of an Altmer worshipper. “The Thread of Sanguine Safekeeping, the final thread! At last!”” I cried, an old frustration finally over.

“Now you’re gonna go back and give it to the Grandmaster?” Rayne asked incredulously. “We’re about to attack Dagoth Ur, right?”

“Yes. But at least I finished this. If I’m about to die...at least I finished one thing. As meaningless as the accomplishment is.”

“What now?”

I looked around at the dark walls of the Shrine. “This place is an excellent shelter from the Blight. Get your rest, sharpen your blades, and restring your bow. Prepare yourself for death, for tomorrow we may die. We attack at dawn.”
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 1 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

No going back now. You've managed to convey this sense of do or die very well. And congratulations on finding the last thread.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 1 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

Into the pit of the Citadel, along treacherous and jagged rocks that threatened to betray every step into a steaming pit of lava. It was a fitting omen for the battle yet to come. Watch your step, or face certain death. I let it serve as a reminder to remain wary.

As the two of us approached the entrance, we looked at the globe of Dwemer metal that protected the entrance to the inner sanctum of Dagoth Ur. It was surreal that everything I had done in the last months led up to this moment, and that now, I would face my old comrade and now enemy, Lord Voryn Dagoth.

“How are we supposed to get in? There’s no way to open these doors!” Rayne yelled over the raging disease winds.

I looked around and saw the lever to open it off in the distance, just like at Arkghtand. Mephala, that was so long ago. I was still alive thus far, and I hoped to keep the streak going. I ran off to twist the ancient lever, with some effort.

“Oh.” She said as the doors creaked inward, revealing some ancient plaque on the steel and iron doors, and we entered into the beginning of the path that would lead to one of two former Generals death.

"Come, Nerevar. Friend or traitor, come. Come and look upon the Heart, and Akulakhan. And bring Wraithguard... I have need of it."

The Voice called out to me, fully sensing my presence. The effect of the energy from the calling into my mind was the same that Vivec had. And the swirling memories of Nerevar flooded my mind once more.

“Sethyas? You okay?”

“You didn’t hear that?”

“The creaking? The grunting of the Lame Corprus? What?”

“That Voice.”

“Just yours…don’t tell me you’re losing it this close to gametime.”

“No. He knows I’m here. He can feel me. And I he. He calls to me like the Sleepers. He sends the images of his desires for the Sixth House and a re-unification even now…”

“Give me Wraithguard. Ill finish this!”

“No. The burden is mine. I’ll be okay. Come on.” I said creeping forward taking out a Lame Corprus with a swift arrow, the soft whisper of speedy death.

"Come to the Heart Chamber. I wait for you there, where we last met, countless ages ago."

I staggered as the images of countless Chimer rushed the sides of the Very Mountain I was in. Torches creating fire-snakes falling and rising against the heavily armed and armored Dwemer.

“Master? Again?” Rayne said dropping the humor, and dripping with concern.

“Yes. Let’s just keep going. I can’t stop, not now.”

We proceeded further, hiding in the shadows, using our mutual artifacts to keep hidden from the Ash Zombies, Ash Ghouls and Ascended Sleepers that garrisoned the Citadel.

"Come to me, through fire and war. I welcome you."

Nerevar was reborn inside me, as the stalwart warrior awoke fully. And I saw the five Generals, Nerevar, Voryn, Almalexia, Vivec, and Sotha Sil in front of me, exactly where they would have been Three Thousand Years ago during the Battle of Red Mountain. Rayne looked like a stranger to me for a splitting moment.

“Sethyas? You’re not looking like yourself.”

“Indeed. I don’t feel much like myself right now either. Come. Lets finish this.” I said unsheathing the Daedric Katana, and taking the lead as we entered the Inner Facility.

"Welcome, Moon-and-Star. I have prepared a place for you."

I saw myself with my consorts battling against Dwemer Honor Guards, ‘Kagrenac! Time for Redemption!’ I yelled sticking my blade through the metal of the cuirass. I returned to my own time, and saw that I was instead sheathing my blade inside an Ash Ghoul.

“Sethyas? Why are you fighting like a Warrior all of a sudden? I thought you said we were going to take the stealthy approach…” Rayne commented looking at the Sixth House creature I had felled in a few strokes.

“You’re right. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have endangered you like that.” I said rubbing the sides of my temples.

“The voice. Are you still hearing it?”

“Yes. He calls to me, thinking I come to join him..or kill him. This is it Rayne. I-I thank you for your company in this dark hour.”

“Well, sometimes your darkest hour can be your finest moment. Lets keep going, O Nerevar!” she joked, the humor returning.

"Come. Bring Wraithguard to the Heart Chamber. Together let us free the cursed false gods."

The Tribunal and I and Voryn walked through the final defenses of the Heart Chamber, to end the blasphemy of the New God of the Dwemer, and to fulfill our promises to the Good Daedra. Things were tense, and I looked at the Stern face of my bride. She could be so cold in war,…she loved it more then I it seemed. Hopesfire burned brightly in her hands, Trueflame in mine. Even as I gazed at her, none of her emotion showed through when she looked at me. O Dearest Queen, I pray that you have not misled me.

"Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind."

I stood before the Cavern into the Heart Chamber, and looked to my faithful friend, Voryn. We would need to strike silently, for who knew what evil lay inside the enemies Chamber. Why I had betrayed my blood friend in the Dwemeri, Dumac. ‘Tribunal, here shall you stay, whilst Voryn and I proceed in. Do not enter, lest I bade thee with the screams of my last breath. My Queen, be strong in my stead, Vivec, look over her, Sotha Sil…be well my good friend, for this time may be the last that we speak.’

“This is where it Started. This is where it Ends.” I whispered to Rayne, as we both stared down the final Ash Vampire. Dagoth Gilvoth. With shadow and silence once more, we opened a barrage of dual arrows upon him, and with his dying breath, I cast a Soul Trap on him.

"Is this how you honor the Sixth House, and the tribe unmourned? Come to me openly, and not by stealth."

Voryn and I proceeded into the Heart Chamber, to confront Kagrenac and his Tonal Architects, together we would end this threat to our people, and claim Resdayn as our own.

I looked over at Rayne, as I fingered the final Soul Gem, and the Blood Ring from Gilvoth.

“This is as far as you go, Rayne. Whatever lies beyond that door, is for me and me alone to face. You have been a godsend, but your path does not lay past there, mine does. I suggest that you cast Almsivi Intervention while you still can. Otherwise, be ready to.”

She struggled to protest, but she held back, letting me walk forward, and face my destiny.

This post has been edited by Black Hand: Jan 1 2007, 01:48 PM
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 1 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

The subtle weaving of past and present was incredible. Way to go! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 1 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #36

Knower
Group Icon

Oh man, the time has come...

I love the juxtaposition of Seth's 'inherited' memories and the present fighting.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 1 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #37

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh...my...god....I read these two last parts more than once....they are incredible. I can feel Seth´s every step, every thought. So much life to the final battle.....I´m just speechless!

I´ll keep my fingers crossed for my dear friend Sethyas!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 1 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

I entered into the facility cavern, as I had three thousand years prior, and Voryn would have been at my side. Not so now. He was across the distance from me at the edge of the cavern, a warped version of his former self, inhumanly large, with talons for nails, hair grown long, and his features hidden by a golden mask. The Golden Mask of my nightmares all those months ago.

Welcome Nerevar. To this place, where Destiny is made. The persuasive voice of Dagoth Ur was slow and gentle. He wanted this, and waited for Millenia as well. I stepped slowly from the shadows of the entrance. Sword drawn, but not waved around menacingly. Dagoth Ur likewise, reached out to me, only to hold back. He occasionally would summon a fireball, only to let it dissipate. We studied each other carefully, wondering how time had changed one another.

"It began here. It will end here. Have you any parting words? Or would you prefer to skip the speeches, and get to our business. You are the challenger here, after all. So to you goes the courtesy of the first blow." Voryn started.

“We have time to talk. I am in no rush to die, and there are things we would both like to know, even if the Grave calls to one of us.”

"Now that you have come to me here, there can be but one result. Many times I have rehearsed speeches offering to share this place with you. 'If you dare to defy the gods, take my hand.' 'To seal our oath of alliance, you shall give me Wraithguard.' 'You have ability. Special gifts you don't even understand. Serve me, and I can help you master those gifts.'" He said looking off to the ceiling, and rising his hand in passion.

‘I thought we might once again be friends... comrades... brothers in arms." He said with a heavy sadness, that I confess made me shed a tear. He had three thousand years to stew in the juices of what he saw as a betrayal, and to offer forgiveness took a strong person, even for a god.

"But I have won this place and power by right of conquest. By right of daring and enterprise. I will not risk it to cunning and deceit. I offer you no deals. If you are my enemy, I cannot trust you. And even if you are not my enemy, I cannot let you live." His voice rose once more with a certain power, and he pointed one of his talons into my face.

"It will all be decided here. I believe I will prevail. But I cannot be sure, and I am vain enough that, should I fall, I would wish to be remembered in my own words. So, if you have final questions you would ask, ask them now. I have final questions I would ask you, if you would answer." He said slowly at the last sentence, and I nodded my head.

"My first question is: Are you really Nerevar reborn?" he asked slowly. Even he was uncertain.

I nodded my head, it wasn’t like it was my lifes accomplishment, but it was true. And I nodded once more. My voice cracking as I responded. “I am. Voryn, I am your old friend Nerevar.”

"That is bitter. The gods and fates are cruel. I served you faithfully once, Lord Nerevar, and you repaid me with death. I hope this time it will be you who pays for your faithlessness." He said with an icy edge to his tone.

“My second question is: if you win, what do you plan to do with the power from the Heart? Will you make yourself a god, and establish a thearchy? Or will you complete Akulakhan, and dispute control of Tamriel with the Septims? Or will you share the Heart with your followers, as I have, and breed a new race of divine immortals?"

None of the above I thought to myself. I was unsure of how to answer, and added my own version of an answer. Curious how he thought that I desired the same as he and the Tribunal. Anyone who touched that Heart was cursed, plain and simple, the Dwemer did not make it as a race, neither could the Tribunal or Dagoth.

"I have my own, secret plan for the Heart." I said slowly.

"Well. Perhaps there may be surprises in store for me yet. Or perhaps you obscure your plans on principle. Or perhaps you are an instinctive bluffer. No matter."

"My final question is: if I had offered to let you join me, would you have surrendered Wraithguard, Sunder, and Keening to me to seal your oath?"

I shook my head. “No, Voryn. I do not support what you have done. If the Sixth House stood for other things, had you gone about it in another way, maybe. But,..not like this.”

"Thank you for your forthright response. And now, if you have any questions, ask them. Otherwise, you are the challenger. I await your first blow."

“Yes..there are things I would ask you. If you are in no rush to die, either.” I said, to which he laughed slightly.

“What are your questions?” He boomed.

"What is your plan for the Heart?" I asked, wondering whether he would be as honest as I were. It turned out he was.

"I will continue to draw divine power from the Heart and distribute it to my kin and followers. I will continue to broadcast divine power upon the blight winds, so that it will touch each soul on Vvardenfell, and then more broadly, across the waters to the rest of Morrowind and Tamriel. In time, every mortal in Tamriel shall feel the liberating contact with the divine." He said with the passion of his Vision.

"What is your plan for the Sixth House?"

"The Sixth House will serve as the elite cadre of our movement. As cultists evolve through various stages of enlightenment, they will become, as suits their abilities, either holy warriors or priests. Their duty is to prepare themselves for service; their joy and liberation is to enter ever-more-deeply into the profound enlightenment of the divine dreamworld." He spoke with pride.

"What is your plan for the Dunmer?"

"I will free the Dunmer from the Imperial yoke, and cast down the false gods of the Temple. I will lead them out of their ancient superstitions, and gift them with intimate knowledge of the divine. Then, perhaps, when Morrowind is once again restored to its ancient glories, it will be time to consider whether the Dunmer should cultivate ambitions of empire." The Ancient General spoke reverently

"How do you justify your crimes?" I chided him.

"If, by my crimes, you mean the inevitable suffering and destruction caused by war, then I accept the burden of leadership. The Sixth House cannot be restored without war. Enlightenment cannot grow without the risk of upsetting the tradition-bound and complacent herd. And the mongrel armies of the Empire cannot be expelled from Morrowind without bloodshed. As I have charity and compassion, I grieve. But our mission is just and noble." What he said made sense, there were no good guys or bad guys in war, no chosen side. Just the strongest dominating the other.

"What happened to the Dwemer?" An old curiosity came through.

"I have no idea what happened to the Dwemer. I have been denied the opportunity to study Wraithguard, and I am not sure how much of Kagrenac's lore was invested in his tools, and how much in his own sorcery and mastery. I have long studied Kagrenac, and have come to admire his wisdom and craft. Someday, after the campaigns of the Sixth House are secure, I hope to have time to dedicate to this mystery."

"Why are you building Akulakhan?"

"Akulakhan will serve three purposes. First, it will be the champion of my armies, liberating first Vvardenfell, then Morrowind, and then, perhaps the rest of Tamriel. Second, it will serve as a sower and cultivator of the divine substance derived from the Heart. Three, it will serve as the prominent banner and symbol of our cause -- to defy the Empire, to liberate mortals from ancient superstitions, and to glorify our crusade against the gods."

“I have no more questions….let this be our final battle. Fight Well, Voryn. Maybe I will see you on the other side…but in this world, and in this time, you are my enemy, it was you, not I whom betrayed our friendship, for it was you whom took up the tools, in your desire to see yourself as Head of the Council.”

The scream of ancient frustration bellowed through the Chamber, and I pulled forward Sunder, and the power came over me like a renewing wave of the warriors battlecry.

Lord Voryn Dagoth screamed as I made contact on the center of his chest with Sunder, the sheer force causing him to step back, and he lashed out with his Talons, causing rivulets of blood to spread across the floor.

With a speed I had yet to see in the Dagoths, Voryn called forth a terrible magic, and I was flooded with a red energy that left me weak and crippled nearly, I had to rely on Sunder for strength. The Corprus Strength was gone, and I returned to my normal self. It was going to be hard to adapt, but I had bigger things to worry about, things like angry Demi-Gods bent on revenge against their former friends.

With a thundering crash to the skull, I broke through. The Golden Mask of Dagoth Ur, through bone and bits of brain matter flying through the air, the Demi-God went down far to easily then one should.

I breathed heavily, and felt the fear of death and adrenaline pumping through my system. Had I just won? No. This was all a fabricant, an illusion that Voryn used to test me. He wanted to see my weaknesses prior to our real meeting, and the double doors opened with the illusions passing, the entrance into Akulakhans Chamber.

I took several minutes to rest, drinking a restorative, and casting “Mephala’s Balm” a spell that restored all of my attributes a small amount. Looking at the base of the door, I also picked up a nice ring, the Heart Ring.

I prepared myself, took a deep breath, and entered Akulakhans Chamber.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 1 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

No more Corprus to aid him? Well, it is clear that Sethyas cannot risk a full frontal confrontation. If even the illusion proved to be a challenge to him in his corprus enhanced state. Any secret assassin tricks you're going to show us? smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 1 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #40

Knower
Group Icon

Well, if corprus was his divine gift, then I suppose Voryn could take it back... and it is, of course, possible to lose it in game play.

Sethyas always has some sort of trick up his sleeve... um, right? huh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:37 PM