User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 12 2017, 01:38 AM
Post #3842

Master
Group Icon

Listened to the Adagietto from Gustav Mahler's 5th Symphony in a performance by the NHK Symphony Orchestra under Myung-Whun Chung, both yesterday and again this evening.

Also watched a well done two part discussion of the movement's orchestration, of which this is part one.

Again watched/listened to the Ariel Quartet's rendition of Beethoven's String Quartet Op.95, both because I like the performance (and piece) so well and to celebrate being able to watch YouTube video's at 1080p. Can't think of a better way to celebrate than with Beethoven.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 12 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #3843

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit always feels like he should go fight something after hearing this song by Eluveitie:
Dessumiis Luge

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 12 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #3844

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been listening to The Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft - An Audiobook. Mostly I listen while at work or in the car. It has been good. Lovecraft's 1st Person narrative lends itself perfectly to an audiobook. When you read 1st Person it feels like you are the protagonist. All the "I did this, I did that." But when you listen, it sounds like the protagonist is literally another person telling you their tale.

btw. I never realized how much the story Hypnos sounds like hot gay romance! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 16 2017, 02:52 AM
Post #3845

Ancient
Group Icon

I have still been listening to HP Lovecraft. He has a lot of short stories that are only about 10 - 20 minutes long, which are perfect for listening to in the car. But sadly most of those short ones just are not very good. The Hound was definitely the best of those so far. There is also a short film of that story I have on one of my Cthulhu anthology dvds that was really good.

His bigger stories still shine though. I listened to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward earlier this week. That is one of my all time favorites. I loved the necromancer cult sharing the corpses of the world's greatest scientists, inventors, alchemists, and sorcerers. Plus I thought it was cool how half the story takes place in the 1770s, and the other half in the 1920's.

At The Mountains of Madness is still my favorite though. I love the aspects of exploration and first contact. In many ways it is more a science fiction story than one of supernatural horror. The story itself only barely scratches the surface of the Elder Things, their city, the unfathomable depths beneath, and those terrifying mountains in the distance which even the Elder Things dreaded. There are so many more stories that could be told there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 16 2017, 03:16 AM
Post #3846

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 15 2017, 08:52 PM) *

I have still been listening to HP Lovecraft. He has a lot of short stories that are only about 10 - 20 minutes long, which are perfect for listening to in the car. But sadly most of those short ones just are not very good. The Hound was definitely the best of those so far. There is also a short film of that story I have on one of my Cthulhu anthology dvds that was really good.

His bigger stories still shine though. I listened to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward earlier this week. That is one of my all time favorites. I loved the necromancer cult sharing the corpses of the world's greatest scientists, inventors, alchemists, and sorcerers. Plus I thought it was cool how half the story takes place in the 1770s, and the other half in the 1920's.

At The Mountains of Madness is still my favorite though. I love the aspects of exploration and first contact. In many ways it is more a science fiction story than one of supernatural horror. The story itself only barely scratches the surface of the Elder Things, their city, the unfathomable depths beneath, and those terrifying mountains in the distance which even the Elder Things dreaded. There are so many more stories that could be told there.
Khajiit has always thought of AtMoM as being sci-fi archaeological horror.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 20 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #3847

Master
Group Icon

Yesterday I stumbled upon a fairly recent upload of Mahler's third symphony that is recorded, produced and uploaded such that it is very listenable even with my decrepit ears. I suspect that were my hearing better I'd consider it quite fine sounding indeed. My only real complaint audio wise is that, for some reason, every now and again there are brief sound skips so that small bits of music are lost. Sort of akin to imprecise splices back when recordings were edited on acoustic tape. Off-putting but endurable.

Visually, it's a missed bag. Excellent camera work by a crew who knows its Mahler. Closeups invariably go to the correct instrument(s) or section(s), which isn't always the case. I've mixed feelings about the frequent closeups afforded the posthorn in movement three. Mahler wrote it to be a disembodied sound, not generated within the orchestra proper, floating through the hall. Audibly, that's what we get. However, a camera is positioned near the player so that we see him at close range, sort of defeating Mahler's intent. Still, I enjoy ogling player and instrument, which for once looks as if it might be a actual posthorn variant. (It's often heard on flugelhorn, which sounds very nice indeed but is incorrect, and occasionally on trumpet, which is, in my opinion, blasphemy.)

Too, the upload is rather blurry, even at 720p. I attempted to watch full screen at that resolution, but gave up and returned to windowed 480p.

Here it is, beginning with the afore mentioned third movement, followed by the remaining three movements, Mahler - Symphony No.3. Concergebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam. Mariss Jansons, conductor.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 20 2017, 02:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 21 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #3848

Ancient
Group Icon

Ellie Botterill at 12 years old (she is just 14 now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnrPOgV8k9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIGXjiBPo7c

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 6 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #3849

Spam Meister
Group Icon

My latest favourite! Reminded me a lot about Spooks and their "Things I've seen" smile.gif

Linky

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 8 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #3850

Master
Group Icon

Oh man I haven't heard this song in like ages. Pretty Woman. Much like Mike and the Mechanics Word of Mouth I've only heard that Pretty Woman Parody song ONCE on the radio.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 8 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #3851

Master
Group Icon

Searching for interesting videos of various sorts at YouTube I noticed a link entitled "Brazilian pianist, Eliane Rodrigues, LITERALLY taking the performance below the stage!" The title and thumbnail of the rather attractive performer who, so far as I know, I'd not encountered before, intrigued me enough to follow the link. The lady is a real trooper in how she copes with the discovery of a faulty piano at the beginning of a concert recital. I got a big kick out of it. What's more, I enjoyed her playing so much I decided to search out other of her filmed performances. A find of particular interest: Ms. Rodrigues performing one of her own compositions, Da "Momentos Musicais." I quite like it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Oct 9 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #3852

Master
Group Icon

What a lovely sense of humor and a spry attitude about the vagaries of concert life! Talk about grace under pressure!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 15 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #3853

Spam Meister
Group Icon

OhMyGirl - Coloring book

Before I clicked on this I thought "maybe this will be the first OMG song I don't like?" but MAN, was I wrong! Their music is incredible! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 15 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #3854

Ancient
Group Icon

Everdream - by Epic Soul Factory

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 16 2017, 03:26 AM
Post #3855

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 15 2017, 01:54 PM) *

My kind of music wub.gif .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 16 2017, 03:47 AM
Post #3856

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Oct 15 2017, 02:54 PM) *

Fractal! I love fractal music!!!

Here is my entry for today; some candid time backstage with Keith, Mick, Jimi = Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqqaw9iN0Js

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 16 2017, 04:24 AM
Post #3857

Ancient
Group Icon

A classical piece that Khajiit finds both scary and beautiful:
Totentanz by Franz Liszt

No, Khajiit doesn't expect you to listen to the whole 15 minutes of it, but he thinks you should. It rocks!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 17 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #3858

Spam Meister
Group Icon

RioRio - Ringo no Koi

Gawd, I love this song! happy.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Oct 17 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #3859

Master
Group Icon

Bow down to almighty that is Vangelis. Man I love this album and Fields of Coral is my favorite track on the list, the other songs are wonderful too.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 18 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #3860

Ancient
Group Icon

In the spirit of the season:
Nox Arcana Shadow of the Raven

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

229 Pages V « < 191 192 193 194 195 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:01 PM