7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kingdom Come: Deliverance, A new open-world RPG set in Medieval Europe
Decrepit
post Mar 15 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #81

Master
Group Icon

Woot, woot and woot again! smile.gif Henry did it!! biggrin.gif Made his escape and rode to what I assume will be a temporary sanctuary. He's been there long enough to get patched up, eat, sleep, have a most interesting talk with the castle's mistress, and now helps keep watch atop the castle battlements.

This session's initial riding attempts failed as miserably as did all previous attempts. A breakthrough of sorts came when I realized my fingers simply do no respond correctly when forced to keep W & R constantly pressed while periodically pressing A & D to steer. Those A & D fingers were spasming!!! I could not make 'em behave! Why this is so is beyond me, but there it is. My first thought was to move RUN ® elsewhere. But the few locations I thought made sense didn't pan out. Besides, R works out perfectly for foot travel, and is what I'm used to.

Then an idea came to me. Years ago, before I adapted to W S A D, I used Arrow Keys for movement. I left RUN at R, positioned my right hand atop the Arrows, and tried the escape. Success on my first attempt! Not a very graceful ride to be sure. But Henry got from point A to point B, which is all that matters. I did suffer one further SNAFU. During the run, Henry's horse must gallop most of the way. Only, it gets winded and needs to slow to a walk until recovered. Walk was easy, if scary. But for some reason I was unable to press R twice properly and resume gallop. Best I managed was a trot. That would have done Henry in pronto except he was close enough to safety for the chase conclusion cut scene to kick in ere he died.

Arrow Keys are not an ideal solution as they make mounted combat impossible. But hey, for now I'll take what I can get. As to not being able to resume gallop, I'm sure I'll work that out once able to practice riding under less stressful circumstances.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 15 2018, 08:57 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 21 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #82

Master
Group Icon

I am at long last beyond KCD's rather lengthy opening tutorial. Been enjoyable so far, but I'm not as obsessed with KCD as I was with Oblivion during its initial (and second) play-through. To be fair, the same can be said of Skyrim. There were times I felt the tutorial too linear, though it allows a great deal of freedom within that linearity, offering variations on quest/task progression comfortably beyond Bethesda's norm. KCD has so far shined at story telling. The game's overall atmosphere has been top notch too. Beautiful graphics once I bumped settings up to a mixture of Very High and Ultra. No performance issues to speak of. Some graphical glitches to be sure, but so far nothing worse than what can be encountered during an Oblivion session.

Hmm...I'm just rambling here. The point is, I continue to play KCD and enjoy it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 22 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #83

Councilor
Group Icon

Good, we can at least change his face. Count me in. laugh.gif I want my "Henry" to be different from everyone else's. tongue.gif

Congrads on getting the out of the tutorial, D. cake.gif Is there a place where KC D's computer specs have been posted? I want to see if I can make Ultra, or even High. I won't settle for anything lower than High, so I want to make my sure my comp can handle this.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 23 2018, 12:29 AM
Post #84

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 22 2018, 03:26 PM) *

Good, we can at least change his face. Count me in. laugh.gif I want my "Henry" to be different from everyone else's. tongue.gif

Congrads on getting the out of the tutorial, D. cake.gif Is there a place where KC D's computer specs have been posted? I want to see if I can make Ultra, or even High. I won't settle for anything lower than High, so I want to make my sure my comp can handle this.

Oddly, I didn't notice PC requirements listed on the official Warhorse website. I did find 'em elsewhere:

Minimum Requirements

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) [Windows 10 64-bit]
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660, AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 40 GB available space
Sound Card: Integrated

Recommended Requirements

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) [Windows 10 64-bit]
Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz, AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 1060, AMD GPU Radeon RX 580
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 40 GB available space
Sound Card: Creative SOUND BLASTER Zx

Not sure how accurate these are, but suspect they're fairly close. The game has been further optimized since release, so might work well on slightly less powerful PCs. Or not.

Though my version of Henry will likely not stray far from the strait and narrow, based on some of the "quests" he's been offered and what I've seen in some YouTube LP episodes, I'd guess that those who decide to indulge in less honorable activities will find much that pleases.

Favorite "Perk" my version of Henry will almost certainly never take: Manly Odour. "When dirty, you'll have 50% more Charisma when talking to women. However, people will smell you a mile off, reducing your Stealth skill by 30%."

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 23 2018, 10:48 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 23 2018, 01:06 PM
Post #85

Councilor
Group Icon

Ha ha ha "Manly Odour." laugh.gif What the hell?

It looks like I just make the minimal specs there. Damn. That's sad. My processor just makes the hurdle for "Recommended" and I've got 16 gigs of RAM, but my graphics card is GTX 760. Dang. I don't feel like upgrading anymore, you know?

Maybe I'll be okay with medium specs; that's probably where I'm at.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 23 2018, 01:12 PM
Post #86

Master
Group Icon

I might meet the minimums, but never the recommended. I thought about adding another 8gb or RAM, but when I checked recently the price of mine had doubled.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 13 2018, 03:50 PM
Post #87

Master
Group Icon

I still haven't played enough KCD to give it an honest, accurate eval. I did come across a reasonably recent YouTube eval that reflects many of my thoughts thus far. (Some if not all quest breaking bugs/glitches mentioned are purportedly fixed by recent patches.)

There are some minor spoilers within the video. Take care if you prefer to avoid that sort of thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 26 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #88

Master
Group Icon

My already meager KCD reporting seems to have been abandoned altogether. Big bug-fix Patch 1.5 hit not terribly long ago. Just now Patch 1.6 went live which adds Hardcore Mode and yet more fixes. Here's Sexy Biscuit discussing Patch 1.6.

I sometimes wish I hadn't gotten hooked on train / railroad games when I did. I think KCD is a super neat game but didn't play long enough to do it justice before catching the train bug. There's a lot to learn before mastering its controls. I didn't quite get there before moving on, especially combat which I was admittedly lousy at. If/when I resume play I definitely need to start afresh from the beginning.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 26 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #89

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Feb 3 2018, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 2 2018, 09:50 AM) *

I am wondering if (and kind of get the feeling it will be) this game is kind of like Witcher; where the quests are laid out in a linear mold that the player has to follow up to the conclusions; and then their choice will determine the outcome?

In other words, will you be able to avoid the main questline (like the historical war that they depicted in this vid) or will it be thrust on you after some unseen trigger is passed? (like the dragon attacks in Skyrim).

I am def interested in this game, but not enough to buy it before the release. I think I might hold off a year till I hear Player's feedbacks and give WH time to fix all the new game glitches, etc.

I've no answer to these queries. From pure video observation and nothing else I gather that the main quest line goes (and possibly others) on whether you decide to participate or not. This is the sort of thing I like in a game, where the world goes about its business whether you choose to help it along or not. No idea what consequences this might hold for our avatars, but hope there are some. Seems as if some quests have time limits in the sense that they too go about their business and might resolve before you get around to it if you dawdle too long. This again I like very much.

I have long thought it would be neat if Oblivion could be modded for those who do NOT want to participate in the main quest line so that the game begins soon AFTER the Crisis the over. (Rather than before it starts as extant alternate start mods do.) There would be an NPC with the title of Champion of Cyrodiil our avatars would occasionally see walking to and from White Gold Tower to attend council meetings and traveling to different cities on official government business. Depending on which DLC we own, there might also be an NPC Divine Crusader traveling the realm righting wrongs. Our avatars would hear the populous praise the actions and accomplishments of these renown personages. All the while our avatars roam around Cyrodiil willy nilly as shiftless adventures who never settle down and make anything truly worthwhile of themselves. Or simply lead mundane ordinary lives as farmers or guards or what have you.

But as to CKD I can only speculate.

You can avoid the main questline in Oblivion just by never going to either Kvatch or talking to Jauffre. Going to Kvatch triggers the Oblivion Crisis, whether you go to Jauffre or not. But going to Jauffre sets a lot in motion behind the scenes.

I generally carry the Amulet of Kings around with me and avoid the main quest till I am well over level 17 so that when I handle the Oblivion Crisis I end up getting the best Sigil stones.

In Skyrim you can avoid the main quest by never NEVER bringing that Bleak Falls Barrow Dragonstone back to the court mage in Whiterun. The dragons never spawn till you hand that over to him.

Both Acadian and I have lamented "always being the hero" in these games. How nice it would be if you were just a support to the hero in some way instead of always having to be the uber one. ESO is a lot better about keeping you as an assistant and not a god.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 27 2018, 12:44 AM
Post #90

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 13 2018, 10:02 PM) *

With patch 1.3.1 installed I began playing KCD in earnest. Haven't gotten far into the opening/tutorial. A surprisingly stumbling block...I can't for the life of me steer my avatar's horse. That means I'm stuck on the first "escape" sequence, fast horse travel being mandatory there. What gets me is that I have the controls set up very like what I use in Oblivion, where my avatar tends to spend a large portion of his active day in the saddle. No issues with Oblivion horse riding whatsoever. But KCD? It is so far totally beyond me. It's gotta be me, not the game. I've watched a number of YouTube KCD vids. No one else has the least bit of trouble controlling Henry's mount.

I also stink at combat. Surprisingly, I won the initial "fisticuffs" combat on my second try. Otherwise, forget it. At least with combat I expect to improve with practice...assuming I lick to riding dilemma enough to advance the game.

My only real gripe that isn't related to player incompetence is the save system, or rather lack thereof. Even with the newly added "save & exit" option in place, lack of "save anytime anywhere" means I rarely play more than five to ten minutes before needing to save & exit so I don't lose valuable progress. Two mods correct this. I'm a bit leery of them at the moment, with the game still being frequently patched. When the dust settles I'll install whichever is the better of the two.

I've encountered only one glitch thus far, no worse than the sort of visual silliness one encounters in Oblivion from time to time.

I'm no fan of cutscenes, though they have their uses (such as at the very end of the Oblivion Crisis...you know the one). That said, the many cutscenes during KCD's tutorial are so well done they don't much bother me.

From the vids of these guys making this game, it was clear that they had an amazing talent and vision for this game; but were learning as they went along. They have the drive to get it right, and I'm sure will fix any flaws = but that is why I opted to stay out of it for the first year while they get the bugs out; and by the time they get it running smoothly I will pick it up, lol.

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 22 2018, 07:29 PM) *

*snip*

Favorite "Perk" my version of Henry will almost certainly never take: Manly Odour. "When dirty, you'll have 50% more Charisma when talking to women. However, people will smell you a mile off, reducing your Stealth skill by 30%."

rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif rollinglaugh.gif

QUOTE(Kane @ Mar 23 2018, 08:12 AM) *

I might meet the minimums, but never the recommended. I thought about adding another 8gb or RAM, but when I checked recently the price of mine had doubled.

Same here, some of my stuff surpasses the recommended; but the important stuff like the graphics card doesn't come close at all. Mine is the Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 780 Ti, so above the minimum; but closer to it than to the recommended.

It sure is a gorgeous game, and does look like a lot of fun! I really wish we could play a female character in it, that is one of the few things I really wasn't happy with.

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 26 2018, 05:09 PM) *

My already meager KCD reporting seems to have been abandoned altogether. Big bug-fix Patch 1.5 hit not terribly long ago. Just now Patch 1.6 went live which adds Hardcore Mode and yet more fixes. Here's Sexy Biscuit discussing Patch 1.6.

I sometimes wish I hadn't gotten hooked on train / railroad games when I did. I think KCD is a super neat game but didn't play long enough to do it justice before catching the train bug. There's a lot to learn before mastering its controls. I didn't quite get there before moving on, especially combat which I was admittedly lousy at. If/when I resume play I definitely need to start afresh from the beginning.

It may be good that you got hooked on the other game while KCD works out the bugs though = keep you from too much frustration with the game. By the time you are ready to leave the railroad, the game might be cleared of the problems, lol.

To me, even with the problems I can see a lot I like in this game; and so far it looks like the good is outweighing the bad.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 27 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #91

Councilor
Group Icon

Lol @ "Manly Odour." laugh.gif

I like reading about this game, but for I'm holding off getting it (despite all my enthusiasm earlier). It's because I'd have to upgrade the heck out of my gaming PC just to get High settings, which I don't want to do because it works so flawlessly as-is. It'd be like I might as well buy another computer. sad.gif

Hmm. They do make this game for consoles though, and I am probably going to get a current-gen console at some point anyway. Hmm.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 22 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #92

Master
Group Icon

I've been reporting my ongoing KCD experiences elsewhere (our General Discussion forum), but want to chime in here to report that when I checked Steam this morning, 22 Nov 2018, the game is on sale for $35.99US. A good time for those on the fence about acquiring the game to take the plunge.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 26 2018, 11:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 26 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #93

Master
Group Icon

Thought I'd finally experienced my first KCD quest-breaking glitch, if it can be called that. It occurred during last night's play session. Henry was on assignment to gather something within a restricted time span. That limit should have been more than sufficient to get the job done, barring the unexpected. The unexpected happened.

To reach required items, Henry needed to pass through a door. Only, said door was locked. The lock was set to Very Hard. Henry's lock-picking skill is at the moment "3." Far too low to even attempt Very Hard locks. I suppose he could have attempted to pickpocket guards until he found one with a key for that door, assume any do. But Henry follows the straight-and-narrow so wouldn't do something like that. At least not to friendly guards, which these are. Besides, his pick-pocket skill is "1," another auto fail. He looked around, hoping to find another means into the area housing needed object, until the timer expired. A Quest Failure message popped up. At that point I called it quits for the day and checked online to determine if I was experiencing a quest flaw or just simply overlooking something obvious.

What I found is that for almost everyone that door is not locked!!!! They just walk right in and grab said items. "Aha," I thought, "my first KCD quest flaw." I then noticed a comment to the effect that the "flaw" is caused by a guard on duty entering the area, then locking the door behind him when he leaves. I put two and two together. Launched the game first thing this morning. Loaded a save prior to quest failure. This time, instead of running all over the place looking for another means into said area, Henry waited patiently at the door. Sure enough, after some time had passed a guard on duty showed up to check the area. He unlocked the door and entered. Henry entered right behind him and was able to grab what he needed. (Recall that this is a friendly area. The guards have no problem with him being there, though what he's doing is rather unorthodox and likely against the rules.) He was able to complete the mission!

The moral of this tale is that I should have trusted KCD and Warhorse more than I did. The game is pretty darn good at providing multiple ways to solve things if only we players keep our wits about us.

(An aside. During research I noticed that, while almost no one experienced the locked door, some had problems with the quest phase immediately preceding it. For me that phase was a piece of cake. Didn't have a lick of trouble with it.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 28 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #94

Master
Group Icon

As mentioned in a different thread, one thing I like a lot about KCD is that, at long last, when wearing a visored helmet, soon as we engage in combat the visor drops in place. The screen then shows a somewhat realistic depiction of restricted vision until Henry sheaths his weapon at combat's end. I've been waiting for this for decades.

Now that it's at last here, I'm able to observe the trade-offs between added protection and limited vision at first hand, so to speak. To keep it simple, Henry now travels with TWO helms. For the most part he wears an open-face helm, especially when facing multiple opponents where increased field of view often proves more beneficial than added protection. When he sees what looks to be a heavily armed and armored single foe, or maybe two foes in certain environments, he'll don his visored helm and hope for the best.

I bring this up coz this Scholagladiatoria video appeared in today's TY recommendations. Part of it is devoted to this very thing...visor or no visor in combat, pros and cons. What's said pretty much mirrors my in-game observances, heat issues aside.

Speaking of armor, I like that in KCD a well trained fully plated warrior and take a decent number of sword hits without suffering much if any bodily damage. Much depends on the quality and conditions of the armor involved of course, as well as the skill of the opponent(s). The armor itself takes damage, but up to a point Henry comes to relatively little harm. (Just beware of letting stamina drop too low. It can end quickly should that happen, plate or no plate.)

On the other hand, a well trained axe or hammer/mace wielder can do serious damage to plate and its wearer unless the player is on his toes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 9 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #95

Master
Group Icon

Another freshly posted YT KCD video praising the game. Yeah, you can find YT vids from those who, for whatever reason(s) dislike it. Since I'm not in that camp I'll leave it to others to search them out should they so choose.

Despite KCD coming out too late in (my) life for me to fully master its elaborate melee combat system its now my hands down favorite such system. Combat is very immersive. I often feel quite a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when Henry survives his more daunting confrontations.

Random thought. While I dislike voiced avatars in the Elder Scrolls series I'm happy to say I find it highly appropriate and effective in KCD.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 9 2018, 10:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 22 2018, 05:16 AM
Post #96

Master
Group Icon

Two menu images of KCD Henry as he appeared at the end of this evening's play session:

Henry on foot.
IPB Image
Something I haven't mentioned before, those six circles at menu top. They're his "buffs," several more or less permanent, the rest situational. As is seen, STRENGTH, AGILITY and VITALITY are now maxed. Stats shown in blue are raised by buffs and/or skill perks. (Red stats are lowered by various means, such as damaged or dirty armor/clothing/weapons or having recently spent time in jail.) As to gear, not much has changed since my last captured menu images (posted in a different thread). Most obvious is a new over-jacket. I prefer the look of his former yellow over-jacket, but this one has better protection and durability. It is supposedly less charismatic, but that stat doesn't change when he switches between the two. He carries a visored helm for better protection but rarely uses it, preferring less restricted vision in most combat situations. He almost never uses a sword anymore, preferring his war hammer, which works better against plate armored foes (as in RL), though there are situations when wielding a sword would be advantageous. He owns slightly better pauldrons, but doesn't wear them due to slight clipping issues with the over-jacket at the shoulders.

Henry Mounted.
IPB Image
Nothing new here not mentioned above.

Tonight's adventures saw Henry complete the first KCD quest I found lacking in polish. Doing the quest was enjoyable, but at times I couldn't tell if I had properly fulfilled its various objectives, even when reporting back to the quest giver at its end. As with a great many KCD quests this one had multiple outcomes. I tried several and was wholly satisfied with neither. (We settled for one that is less laudatory for Henry but kinder to one of the NPCs involved.)

Henry tied up the quest too late in the day to make it all the back to Rattay (where the quest giver is). He stayed the night at one of two Sasau inns. There was time for one dice game before retiring. I quite like KCD's dice game with one caveat. In the course of play a variety of "lucky" dice sets can be acquired by various means. Henry as some point acquired a set so good he almost never lost, and often won after only a few throws. This took all the challenge and most of the fun from playing dice. He's now reverted to very mildly lucky set that restores challenge. He very nearly lost tonight's game, and likely would have had his opponent not been too aggressive one round and gone bust, losing that rounds points.

Saturday Morning ADDENDUM:
KCD is part of the Steam Winter Sale. It can now be had for $29.99US! Its DLC are also on sale. I ordered From the Ashes as an Xmas present to myself. At any rate now's a good time to take the plunge, especially for those with a PC capable of running the game with high visual quality settings enabled.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Dec 22 2018, 02:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 22 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #97

Ancient
Group Icon

Excellent name for his horse!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 3 2019, 04:42 PM
Post #98

Master
Group Icon

I've another fun Gopher KCD LP episode for you. It contains one mild spoiler. Mild enough to not harm anyone's playing experience imo. It opens with Gopher finishing up at a Cuman camp cleared during the previous episode. Just past the seven minute mark he chances on the aftermath of a Guard vs Bandit confrontation, and battles surviving bandits. The last of these is well equipped with plate, shield and mace. Gopher wisely switches from long sword to war hammer and shield, and still has a hard time of it. Near episode end he tries his hand at mounted combat to comical effect that almost turns tragic before all is said and done. (I suspect that, like Oblivion, traveling super fast on horseback outpaces game A.I. at times so that NPCs behave oddly.) At any rate, it's a good show. smile.gif

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 22 2018, 11:28 AM) *

Excellent name for his horse!

<nods> It is sold with that name. Well selected too. So far as I know it has the best Courage stat of any horse in the game, which comes in handy during ambushes and other confrontations. Excellent carry capacity too, though a few other horses beat it in that regard. Decent but not stellar stamina. Not the best speed, but I didn't want a super speedy mount as I think speed beyond a certain point is unrealistic. I'd have preferred a different coloring (Isn't the real Bucephalus supposed to be dark black?) but that's no lease breaking and it any case he's mostly hidden be coverings.

ADDENDUM:
DOH!!!!!! Almost forgot to mention that so far as I know this (3 Jan 2019) is the final day/morning of Steam's Winter Sale, for those interesting in KCD or any other Steam offering.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jan 3 2019, 04:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 14 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #99

Councilor
Group Icon

Here it is. Female character DLC, NOT a mod. Yeah, 'cause I will be so all over this game if I can play as a lass.

Edit: Never mind. Seems if this is going to be released, it's till awhile off. Dangit.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 14 2019, 03:55 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 14 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #100

Ancient
Group Icon

I would give it a try too if I could play a female character for the full game. But since it is all sausage, they can keep their pork to themselves.

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:45 PM