Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A New Sun Rises - Before The Prologue, The Fated Journey From Vvardenfell To Cyrodiil
mALX
post Oct 9 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

A New Sun Rises

Before The Prologue 1

The Bitter Coast of Vvardenfell:

http://i.imgur.com/YnHKw.jpg

The Dunmer Stronghold of Hlormaren:

IPB Image

IPB Image

3rd Era, year 412

The 20th of Sun's Height, (the Holiday of Sun's Rest, all businesses closed in observance);
West Southwest of Veranis Hall, Guard Checkpoint to the Septim's Gate Pass
:

IPB Image

Darkness had long since fallen when the group neared the checkpoint. No one traveled on Sun's Rest, their shift had dragged by with excruciating slowness, so even the sight of these bedraggled Khajiit travelers was a welcome relief from the tedium.

The guard in the opposite shack noticed them first and called to him, indicating the approaching group. "Looks like we got us a traveling circus."

"I don't doubt it, since the Emperor's ban on magic travel to Cyrodiil went into effect today. We'll see every bit of riffraff in the Province trying to cross the borders now."

He eyed the fine rich clothing of the leader, who on first glance he took to be a Dunmer lord with his slaves filed behind him.

The guard across from him leaned over and spat a wad of brown cud, then shouted to him in a surprised voice, "Geelaw! That big one in front is a cat!"

"Can't be...by the gods, you're right! I see the tail now! Four Khajiit by themselves? Where's their master?"

"Anything is possible, who knows what goes on in some of the other Provinces. Maybe he's a cat king or something." The guard in the opposite shack whistled. "That is one strange looking cat!"

The guard stared gaping at the male in front where their owner should be walking. It was the strangest looking Khajiit he'd ever seen, overlarge and with fur so dark and sparse it looked like skin covered in coal soot. The bone structure of his face was oddly flattened and angular, but for the tail and catlike ears he looked almost human.

His air was of power and one used to being in charge, but his neck bore the same slave tattoo as the three Khajiit following in his wake. The guard recognized that mark, these Khajiit were all the property of the Dunmer Stronghold Hlormaren over on the Bitter Coast. What were they doing leaving Morrowind; escaping?

"Halt right there! Where is your owner?" The guard rose from his stool, sliding his hand nearer the sword at his side in case of trouble. His eyes ran over them suspiciously.

The female directly behind the big black cat had the same odd flat angular facial features, but everything else about her strongly contrasted him. She was as white as he was dark, and couldn't be much over five feet tall while he was well over six foot. Where he looked strong, she looked frail and delicate.

The couple in the rear looked no different from any common Khajiit slave, their facial features coarse and fierce; catlike. The only similarity in the two couples became evident as they neared his shack, it was obvious both females were with child.

The group of four Khajiit approached the checkpoint guardhouse in single file, each with their travel documents already in hand and held out to be stamped. The huge black cat stepped forward, speaking in a cultured voice.

"Well met, good man. We were all freed when Hlormaren was cleared, we are not owned anymore."

"I'll be needing to see your emancipation marks if you're claiming to be freed slaves."

The dark cat held out his hand to show his Freed Slave tattoo, indicating the others do the same.

"Can't be too sure, I've seen your kind with the tattoo drawn on in ink." The guard carefully inspected the Freed Slave tattoos on each, rubbing them briskly and checking his hand afterward for fresh ink.

"Alright then, state your business."

"As you see, our wives are quite with child. Thanks to the Emperor's ban on magic travel to Cyrodiil today, we find ourselves having to cross on foot...unless exceptions to the law can be found, due to their conditions. Special circumstances, so to speak."

With one hand the Khajiit indicated the two female's rounded stomachs, while his other hand waved a hundred Septim note in a circular motion. Greed lit the guard's eyes, and he tried to pinch the note from the Khajiit's hand. The cat was quick to jerk it out of reach, and the guard's expression soured into a defeated grimace.

"Can't. They've put some magic barrier up. Can't even use recall back. If you're leaving Morrowind, you'll need to register your name." He slid a heavy book of parchments across the counter, indicating several inkwells and a jar of quills. "I'll be taking your travel documents and comparing them to what you write."

The guard processed their documents and waved them through the gate. "The Imperial Legion has taken over the Septim's Gate Pass west of the turnoff for Bodrum. Any foot traffic through that end of the Pass will find you in jail at one of their forts through there."

S'Vandra nodded, sliding the guard a twenty Septim note. "I thank you for the warning, good man. Is there another way to cross the border?"

The guard softened a bit as he tucked the bribe into his pocket. "Cut south toward Bodrum, you'll see the signpost. There's hamlets through there if you need to stop with those two about to have their birthing. At Bodrum follow the signpost west for the Shadowgate Pass. That'll take you into Cyrodiil, but I'll warn you now; it's wild country through that Pass. You look like you can handle that Katana at your side, don't go that way if you can't."

S'Vandra slid the guard a ten Septim note and thanked him again, then signaled the others to heft their packs.

S'Vandra:

IPB Image

Shivani:

IPB Image

Nisaba:

IPB Image

S'Renji:

IPB Image

The next day, mid morning, end of the guard's shift:

The guard stretched and yawned. His replacement was thirty minutes late, what could be keeping him? He'd lodge a complaint with the Captain if the man didn't get here soon.

It was nearly thirty minutes later when the door to the shack finally opened and his replacement stepped in. To relieve his irritation the guard rose from his chair with more effort than necessary, making the stool scrape backward loudly.

"It's about time! I've been off duty for near an hour, what took you so long?"

"I'm not here to relieve you, I'm joining you. Word's come down from the captain. No breaks until further notice. Captain wants double men on every post."

"You can't be serious! Damn it, my feet are killing me! What's going on now?"

"A gang of thieves took advantage of the Sun's Rest observance; all businesses closed and the owners at home, the temple doors open but no priest. Everything of value between here and Balmora has just up and disappeared, like some kind of magic. Vivec and Ebonheart both reported mass robberies too, and all of it done today. Captain expects there will be a lot more than that when all the reports are in."

"Geelaw, how the hell many is in this gang? We've never had anything like this before, where did they come from? Is four guards going to be enough or will we need back up force?"

"No one knows. They weren't seen by anyone on account of Sun's Rest. Captain thinks it's the same bunch that robbed those ten Dunmer Strongholds last week."

"It couldn't be the same people, how would they get across the country like that?"

"No one thought those robberies were connected, all those isolated strongholds so far apart. Turns out they were getting into the Strongholds using some magic transport. Some device called a Propylon."

"A what?"

The young guard pulled a folded parchment out of his pocket and showed him. "Look here, I've written it down. P.r.o.p.y.l.o.n. The thieves got hold of some kind of master access that worked all those propylons."

"The dickens you say! What are they, mages or something?"

The young guard shrugged and nodded. "Must be, I'd say. Captain thinks so too. They'd have to have some kind of magic to rob all Vvardenfell in a week. Anyway, Captain said we need to keep our eyes peeled for trouble."

"We're an outpost, what are we supposed to do about it?"

"He thinks they'll make a run for the border since the Emperor banned magic travel yesterday. Captain said don't warn any travelers about the Legion riding the roads on Septim's Pass, nor send them to the Shadowgate Pass. That way if the gang slips by us, they'll still get caught. Did anyone come through last night?"

The guard turned away, busying himself with the papers on the desk. That black Khajiit had a lot of gold to throw around. Should those Khajiit turn out to be the gang of thieves, he'd be to blame for their escape from prosecution...probably lose his post. He had a family to support.

"None came through here but two Khajiit couples, both their wives about to produce right here in the shack. All tattooed, freed slaves. Their papers were all in order, probably just heading to relatives for the women to do their lying in."

Almost two months later:
Northwest of Bodrum, Checkpoint to the Shadowgate Pass

IPB Image

"Man or cat, you're crazy trying to cross Shadowgate pass on foot. Known as the most dangerous pass in Tamriel, didn't get that reputation by chance. Got horses for sale cheap, they can outrun some things you won't want to fight, if you take my meaning."

The guard handed S'Vandra back his and Shivani's travel documents, then pointed at the bundled baby in her arms. "I'll be needing to see the travel papers for that infant too."

"There are no papers for the babe, she was born on the Septim Gate Pass not two weeks past." S'Vandra pointed to the date on the guard's monthly posting board. "That night, but in Last Seed."

"The 27th of Last Seed?"

"Aye, the 27th. Will we need those documents for her to enter Cyrodiil?"

The guard gave a sidelong glance at the thick packet of parchments that would need to be filled out to create travel papers for the babe. His shift was near ending, that would mean staying till they were finished. By the look of the other female, she may unload her baby any second. Best to get them on their way before he had to fill out papers for that one and deliver it too.

"No worries there, the gate into Cyrodiil hasn't been manned for twenty years or more. Once you pass through the Cyrodiil checkpoint head north to Cheydinhal. It's a county seat, they're better equipped to handle it. Just head on through now while there's still some light to travel."

The guard quickly handed S'Vandra the travel papers for all four Khajiit, then hurried to the gate and opened it. He paused, debating whether to even log it. No doubt they'd never make it through the Pass carrying infants and women, birthing to boot. Still, better safe than sorry.

Drat, what were their names? He couldn't list the babe's date of birth or he'd lose his post for not doing the proper paperwork. Best just list it as a newborn. The guard finally scribbled a brief memo on his report for the day.

"Crossing on foot to Cyrodiil: Four Khajiit freed slaves traveling together, coupled. Proofs shown, travel documents in order. Biggest and blackest cat I’ve ever seen, male. One female ready to pop and drop. Other two nondescript. One newborn without travel papers; no man's land birth. Father registering it in Cyrodiil. Refused purchase of horses for the crossing."

Beginning the walk, Shadowgate Pass:

IPB Image

This post has been edited by mALX: Oct 13 2013, 09:50 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
King Coin
post Nov 3 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Part 2:

Aww… poor Nissy. Though we all knew this was going to happen from your story.

Maxical, swooped out of the clearing! ohmy.gif At least she wasn’t there for what happened next. sad.gif

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:45 PM