Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How RPGs influence people.
Eldar
post Jun 25 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #1

Retainer

Last night i was a bit drunk i got all philosophic about games, specially how rpgs affect us, i mean are we like other people ? we always have a dragon, an elf, swords and magic in our mind, others dont.

Do you people think rpgs make us more creative ? more violent ? less social ?..... you get the idea.

Peronally i think they make us much more creative than the average folk.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jun 25 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Eldar]
Peronally i think they make us much more creative than the average folk.[/quote]

Well, it depends on the RPG. Some RPG's hold your hand a little too much.

I think RPG's make people aware of taking a 'role' and learn more about how a simple game can a world seem alive. RPG gamers, I think, are more aware of plot and characters.

However, some RPG's have really flat and cliche'd characters, so some people grow to like those cliche's, so that can be a bad thing.

It really depends on the person, too.
+Quote Post
Eldar
post Jun 25 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Retainer

Yes it does depend on the person, but i am refering to rpgs in general, not just one.
+Quote Post
Dantrag
post Jun 25 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

I would say creative, though in a lot of cases it is anti-social. I'd say it's 50/50 between those two.

I actualy know a lot of new vocabulary words from playing RPG's as well as from reading books...

--------------------
"Its when murder is justice that martyrs are made"
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jun 25 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

[quote=Eldar]Last night i was a bit drunk i got all philosophic about games, specially how rpgs affect us, i mean are we like other people ? we always have a dragon, an elf, swords and magic in our mind, others dont.

Do you people think rpgs make us more creative ? more violent ? less social ?..... you get the idea.

Peronally i think they make us much more creative than the average folk.[/quote]

Ever played EQ?

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jun 25 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

Here is what it makes me:

A lazy nerd who never leaves his computer.

Actually, RPGs haven't had a big effect on me, in fact from playing them I have become more social, as in talkative.
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jun 25 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

[quote=gamer10]

A lazy nerd who never leaves his computer.

[/quote]

Well during the summer thats me... When life starts *cough* school *cough* then I start to return to my normal preppy stereotype...

--------------------
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
gamer10
post Jun 25 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #8

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, and I have to study like crazy . .to retain my perfect grades. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Channler
post Jun 26 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Well there once a time when I had perect grades... umm that was like in Kindergarden

--------------------
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Red
post Jun 26 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

Actually, I think RPG's have had a great effect on my life. They've taught me to be more bold and to speak my mind, and I know people who learned to read and spell from RPG's.

--------------------
//LEFT ARM PULLS TRIGGER, RIGHT ARM SHRUGS SHOULDER//TRANSMISSION ENDED
+Quote Post
Megil Tel-Zeke
post Jun 26 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #11

Master
Group Icon

hmm RPG's are just awesome. good way to getting into a wordlwide community and making friends (or acquaintances) from all over the world. Definetly make you more social, mayb not face to face with people but still communicate with others. They also jsut make life fun
+Quote Post
Zelda_Zealot
post Jun 26 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

[quote=Red]Actually, I think RPG's have had a great effect on my life. They've taught me to be more bold and to speak my mind, and I know people who learned to read and spell from RPG's.[/quote]

I learned to read by a Zelda game, so is that really so bad? About the topic though, I would not know if they make people more or less social as I am homeschooled and not that social anyway. But I do think they make us more creative, I would have never wrote anykind of fiction was it not for Morrowind.

--------------------
The Sun and Moon transform day to night, but what transforms the mind?
The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.
+Quote Post
Aki
post Jun 26 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Channler][quote=Eldar]Last night i was a bit drunk i got all philosophic about games, specially how rpgs affect us, i mean are we like other people ? we always have a dragon, an elf, swords and magic in our mind, others dont.

Ever played EQ?[/quote]
EQ would actually make one MORE social.

You're talking with people around the world. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jun 26 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Creative yes... But I dont think it makes u less sosial, depends on how much u play it thought, if you would rather sit inside and play Morrowind insted of going out with friends or communicate :rofl:

More violent.. Hmm doubt it, at least I dont play much RPG on the computer - but still play D&D with my friends one day a week if possible, if that would make me more violent I would go around throwing dices on people. :evil7:
+Quote Post
Chumbaniya
post Jun 26 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #15

Finder
Group Icon

Well, I don't tend to play a lot of RPGs, it's just that Morrowind was one that I really got into - I think it was probably because Morrowind wasn't so much about one linear story and a set of stock characters, instead it was so much about creating your own character and having the freedom to create your own story. I tend to play strategy games much more often, and I'm sure that these have really helped my decision making, planning, management and tactical skills.

With RPGs, I think that there's a certain amount of imagination needed to play them, so it's really only people who can think in a certain way who will enjoy them in the first place - a lot of people just don't understand how fantasy (be it in books, films, or games) can be interesting. I'm not sure that playing RPGs really affects a person that much, since a lot of any RPG is about the story, so in that sense it's not too different to reading a book, just more interactive.

EDIT: I really doubt that RPGs make people more violent - since you'll be killing magical beasties most of the time it doesn't really relate to the real world wink.gif.

Anyway, how can RPGs make us less sociable - if it weren't for RPGs, we wouldn't have the W4O community!

--------------------
Chumbaniya Has Spoken!

"It's a party. It doesn't have to make sense" - Homer
"To alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jun 26 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

Like everyone else, I think RPG's make you more creative and more into characters and stuff. You know, actually caring for the plot kind of deal. I think some RPG's make some people more social (like EQ and Phantasy Star Online).

It really depends on what kind of RPG's you are used to, I guess.

(Oh, I, myself am really ant-social unless I'm with small kids, friends or talking online. With Phantasy Star Online, I play off-line by myself or with my sisters, so yeah, RPG's didn't help my socialness at all.... Maybe if there weren't so many jerks/pervs online, and that they would get rid of the online fees... tongue.gif )

So RPG's= creativity
+Quote Post
Aki
post Jun 26 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=MerGirl] and that they would get rid of the online fees... tongue.gif )

[/quote]

Heh, 'Guild Wars' has free online play. biggrin.gif

And it can be played offline too. :goodjob:

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
Khaan
post Jun 26 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

Rpg's tend to make people play them for a long time before you get really good.

This means that you probably get influenced way more than say a shooter which you can complete in a few hours.

Also you start seeing game characters everywhere. I'm sure that was Fargoth that just walked by. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Humankind - Running in circles

My Deviantart
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jun 26 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Aki]
Heh, 'Guild Wars' has free online play. biggrin.gif [/quote]

But there's still those jerks/pervs/etc. still to deal with... I don't trust that whole 'free online' thing. There's got to be a catch. :shocked:

[quote]And it can be played offline too. :goodjob:[/quote]

You serious? But--but I thought it said on the box that internet/online stuff was required. ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Wolfie
post Jun 26 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #20

Mage
Group Icon

[quote=MerGirl]Like everyone else, I think RPG's make you more creative and more into characters and stuff. You know, actually caring for the plot kind of deal. I think some RPG's make some people more social (like EQ and Phantasy Star Online).

It really depends on what kind of RPG's you are used to, I guess.

(Oh, I, myself am really ant-social unless I'm with small kids, friends or talking online. With Phantasy Star Online, I play off-line by myself or with my sisters, so yeah, RPG's didn't help my socialness at all.... Maybe if there weren't so many jerks/pervs online, and that they would get rid of the online fees... tongue.gif )

So RPG's= creativity[/quote]
Woot for being anti-social, that's me all over.

--------------------
IPB Image

D�anaim smaoineamh, d� bhr� sin, t�im ann - Descartes

Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. - G.K. Chesterton

EnsamVarg
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 04:41 PM