Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Wars Thread 1: The Phantom Post, Star Wars
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 28 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 28 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Khajiit is confused about the state of the canon in the Star Wars franchise now that Disney has bought it. From what he understands, the only thing official is the films and TV shows (The Clone Wars and Rebels), but that leaves a lot up in the air. This one thinks it's safe to say all of the stuff in the expanded universe that happened after RotJ is now irrelevant. What about the stuff that happened before the events of Episode 1? They canonized Darth Bane in the Clone Wars TV series so does that also mean by extension that Revan and all of the events surrounding him are also canon, since it was from one of Revan's holocrons that Darth Bane learned of the "Rule of Two"? So many questions.

Strictly speaking, Darth Bane's "Rule of Two" wasn't so much learnt from the holocron as a conclusion he came to following what Revan said. It was based on what Revan told him, but it was still Bane's idea.

And I believe that the rule is everything from the Expanded Universe is non-canon, not just the post-RotJ material.

As for the rest, I haven't seen any of the Clone Wars series, but I suspect that what's happened is this: Darth Bane has been canonised to bring in the notion of the Sith playing the long game against the Jedi, and to explain the fact that there are only two Sith(since it contrasts significantly with everything else formerly in the Star Wars Universe that dealt with them). Nothing further is canonised by extension since nothing else is directly necessary.

Though watch out in the new films to see them cherry-picking more elements from the books and games to prop up their stories. They've already started.

This post has been edited by Callidus Thorn: Nov 28 2016, 09:11 PM

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 28 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 28 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Strictly speaking, Darth Bane's "Rule of Two" wasn't so much learnt from the holocron as a conclusion he came to following what Revan said. It was based on what Revan told him, but it was still Bane's idea.

And I believe that the rule is everything from the Expanded Universe is non-canon, not just the post-RotJ material.

As for the rest, I haven't seen any of the Clone Wars series, but I suspect that what's happened is this: Darth Bane has been canonised to bring in the notion of the Sith playing the long game against the Jedi, and to explain the fact that there are only two Sith(since it contrasts significantly with everything else formerly in the Star Wars Universe that dealt with them). Nothing further is canonised by extension since nothing else is directly necessary.

Though watch out in the new films to see them cherry-picking more elements from the books and games to prop up their stories. They've already started.

Thanks for the clarification, Khajiit was afraid of this.

Re: Cherry picking
Kylo Ren's character design reeks of knocking off Revan. It's a little different but still pretty much the same.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 28 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #43

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 28 2016, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 28 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Thanks for the clarification, Khajiit was afraid of this.

Re: Cherry picking
Kylo Ren's character design reeks of knocking off Revan. It's a little different but still pretty much the same.

The first time I saw the mask I only caught a glimpse of it, and it left me wondering what Revan was doing on a pack of batteries! rollinglaugh.gif

But a good sized chunk of The Force Awakens reeks of KotOR, blended with A New Hope. I won't even watch it. The only thing I like about it is that kinda funky droid that rolls around, though I don't know how practical that design would actually be.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 28 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Nov 28 2016, 02:53 PM) *

The first time I saw the mask I only caught a glimpse of it, and it left me wondering what Revan was doing on a pack of batteries! rollinglaugh.gif

Bahahahaha!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 28 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 28 2016, 01:12 PM) *

Khajiit is confused about the state of the canon in the Star Wars franchise now that Disney has bought it.

From what I gathered everything that was in the Expanded Universe is no longer canon (Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade and so on) but is now considered as Legends, but stuff that goes on in Clone Wars, Rebels and the movies are canon. Basically we got a Star Wars Prime and Legends Universe.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

Yeah, as he said before, Khajiit was afraid of that. Shame. There was some good stuff in there, especially with the BBY stuff.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 29 2016, 01:15 AM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

I really do not care. Whether a story is considered "canon" or not by whatever company currently owns the rights to the Star Wars universe does not make it any more or less entertaining. A good story is a good story, and is worth reading or watching on its own merit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2016, 02:02 AM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 28 2016, 06:15 PM) *

I really do not care. Whether a story is considered "canon" or not by whatever company currently owns the rights to the Star Wars universe does not make it any more or less entertaining. A good story is a good story, and is worth reading or watching on its own merit.

True, but it does make this one a bit bitter when excellent stories like KotOR are relegated to little more than fan fiction after having been canon for years.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 29 2016, 02:11 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 28 2016, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 28 2016, 06:15 PM) *

True, but it does make this one a bit bitter when excellent stories like KotOR are relegated to little more than fan fiction after having been canon for years.

I have read many fan fiction stories that are far superior to books in print. So I do not see anything to be bitter about. Life is too short to be bitter of things an entertainment company does. Search your feelings. Let go of your hate! smile.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Nov 29 2016, 02:13 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2016, 03:21 AM
Post #50

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 28 2016, 07:11 PM) *

I have read many fan fiction stories that are far superior to books in print. So I do not see anything to be bitter about. Life is too short to be bitter of things an entertainment company does. Search your feelings. Let go of your hate! smile.gif

Perhaps "bitter" wasn't the word Khajiit was looking for. "Annoyed" probably fits better. This one definitely isn't losing any sleep over it tongue.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 29 2016, 05:02 AM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Bought a new Star Wars figure today, the Black series Death Trooper. I've been trying to find Director Krennic but I can only find him online.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 29 2016, 05:11 AM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

I am very disappointed the Boba Fett movie was cancelled. Should've been Han Solo. Aren't we all a little tired of seeing this one-sided treatment?

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 29 2016, 06:23 AM
Post #53

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Nov 28 2016, 10:11 PM) *

I am very disappointed the Boba Fett movie was cancelled. Should've been Han Solo. Aren't we all a little tired of seeing this one-sided treatment?

*Khajiit raises hand*
This one is!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 30 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

In more cheerful Star Wars news, I have figured out who the Imperial in the white uniform is in the Rogue One trailers. He is Orson Krennic, the Director of the Imperial Military's Advanced Weapons Research division. He is one of the main characters in Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel. He plays a large part in the building of the Death Star, though certainly not the only major figure in the project.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 30 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 29 2016, 05:06 PM) *

In more cheerful Star Wars news, I have figured out who the Imperial in the white uniform is in the Rogue One trailers. He is Orson Krennic, the Director of the Imperial Military's Advanced Weapons Research division. He is one of the main characters in Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel. He plays a large part in the building of the Death Star, though certainly not the only major figure in the project.

It should be interesting seeing the Deathstar come together and the mission to steal the plans.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 30 2016, 02:26 AM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Nov 30 2016, 12:06 AM) *

Yep. Apparently he and Vader has issues. Orson has rose through the ranks like a soldier. He values force while Vader puts more faith in The Force.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inquisitr.co.../?client=safari

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Nov 30 2016, 02:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 30 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

Orson and Tarkin have issues as well. Both were vying for control of the Death Star project. A setback got Orson demoted to just leading up the superlaser project. But Orson got back at Tarkin by miring him in a protracted war on an Outer Rim world (thus pulling him out of the Death Star project, at least temporarily).

I am almost done with Catalyst, and made another Rogue One discovery. Forest Whitaker is playing Saw Gerrera, whom you all might remember from the Onderon insurgency story arc from The Clone Wars. He was one of the young insurgents there. Now a lot older and worse for wear, he is still a resistance fighter.

I remember when I was watching that story arc that the Onderons were being taught by the Jedi to fight a guerrilla war against a superior, conventional army. Not to mention to use force rather than diplomacy to solve political problems. That experience does not just evaporate when the war is over, and it did not with Saw. The same insurgents the Jedi trained to fight the Separatists became the Rebel Alliance.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 9 2017, 03:02 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Dec 11 2016, 02:34 AM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

6 more days till Rouge One comes out...I can't wait panic.gif .
I might not see it on opening day but definitely within the first week or two.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Dec 11 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

Mmmmm mmm mmmm. I have been validated all those years ago.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Dec 14 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Just watched a leaked scene to Rogue One and . . .

--------------------
+Quote Post

49 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 PM