3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Autumn's Tale, My attempt to put to "paper" the story of my FO4 character
Acadian
post Mar 19 2023, 11:35 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

I'm quite enjoying seeing this post apocalyptic world through Autumn's eyes as Codsworth confirms she's been out of it for +200 years. She has a companion and she has a plan. You also smoothly weave in a few more tidbits on Autumn's past like being a lawyer and having some martial training. I look forward to seeing what she learns at this Red Rocket gas station. And then possibly on to Concord and Diamond City.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 20 2023, 01:27 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

You show quite well the psychic disconnect Autumn feels between what seems to her to be the "recent" past, versus the actual passage of over 200 years. Her poignant memories of events that are gone forever are wonderfully evocative. So now- out into the wider world... Thank goodness for a helpful companion.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 25 2023, 07:18 PM
Post #23

Evoker

Thank you all, for reading. smile.gif
Things are about to pick up a bit!

Entry 4: Needs Must

IPB Image

Uncertain of what might be inhabiting the Red Rocket, Autumn making sure that her pistol was loaded, crouched down and crept carefully through the shrubbery, cautioning Codsworth to remain out of sight unless his flamers and circular saw became necessary.

Autumn had expected to find some new monstrosity, either of the two-legged, or four-legged, variety. What she had not anticipated was the exuberant German Shepherd that now gambolled elatedly about her legs. Codsworth floated from the bushes where he’d been hiding.

“I say, what an impressive pup, and he’s friendly as well! That is rather unusual!” The dog barked, excited at the favourable acknowledgement.

“I take it dogs these days aren’t friendly?” questioned Autumn. “Indeed not Ma’am, usually they’re dangerous, feral beasts and there’s no recourse but to kill them.” The shepherd’s ears and tale drooped, and he let out a mournful whine. Sharing his sentiments, Autumn knelt down to reassure the dog, tentatively offering her hand for him to sniff; in exchange, she received an affectionate lick.

Just as she started to rub the animal’s velvety ears, the nearby ground began to bubble, and a series of discordant grunts and squeaks filled the air. “What the…,” Autumn exclaimed, reaching for her weapon. A few minutes later, multiple hairless, pinkish bodies littered the area; Codsworth, with surprising finesse, was enthusiastically using his saw to skin and gut them, and, much to the dog’s evident glee, splattering copious gore in the process.

Autumn felt her stomach heave, and tried to look away, “Um, Codsworth, what WERE those things, and WHAT are you doing?”

The robot turned from his grisly task, “Mole-rats, Ma’am, a little larger than you might remember, and they make for a fine dinner. At least, you appeared to enjoy them last night.”

For a moment, she fought the urge to gag. Reality, however, soon asserted itself. As Codsworth had noted, she had enjoyed the meal, and she reminded herself that even if Super Duper Marts still existed, they were unlikely to be in plentiful supply. Autumn also had the distinct impression that Codsworth was delighting in the moment. Could a robot enjoy a jest at the expense of a companion? She recalled Codsworth’s sometimes painfully terrible, yet endearing, jokes and puns from before, but she’d always assumed those to be part of his programming. This, however, seemed very far beyond AI, sophisticated though that AI might be.

Mole-rats sufficiently butchered, they started toward the Red Rocket’s beckoning interior. Intriguing as the gas station was, however, they were deterred from more extensive exploration by the shepherd’s insistent barks further ahead. It was clear that the animal wanted them to follow.

IPB Image

As the weathered, wood and brick structures came into view, Autumn felt a sharp pang of nostalgia. It was perhaps fortunate, however, that she had little time to dwell on the feelings that had started to surface.

Gunshots could be heard coming from multiple directions, and they saw several scruffy, leather-clad figures darting about the road and milling in front of The Museum of Freedom. “Raiders,” spat Codsworth, with obvious loathing.

Preferring to remain unseen for as long as possible, Autumn directed her companions to follow as she slipped into familiar alleyways. Once they began to approach the area in front of the museum, where most of the raiders were now clustered, she silently removed the pin from one of the grenades she’d found in Sanctuary. Autumn’s aim, to her considerable surprise, proved accurate… Seconds later, the air became permeated with the unmistakable odour of burning human flesh.

Cries of bewilderment mingled with horror; amidst the chaos, one raider, seeing his companion fall, choked out in a strangled, frantic voice, “Don’t you die on me!” It was one thing to rehearse combat manoeuvres with practice dummies, training guns and set dressing, but it was another thing entirely to experience the visceral act of killing in the real world.

Logically, she knew these raiders would slaughter her, her companions, and anyone else standing in their way without a moment’s thought, but that didn’t prevent the overwhelming wave of nausea. Autumn staggered back into the alley, knees buckling as she violently retched, images of her own helplessness, as Nate was gunned down, far too vivid. Finally, she was able to stop her shaking, and, trying to avoid the charred bodies, she returned to Codsworth and the dog, who had dispatched the remaining raiders with little trouble.

A voice sounded from the balcony above, “Hey, I don’t know who you are, but I have a group of settlers here, and there are more raiders inside. Take this gun, we need your help!”

“Settlers?” Autumn wondered. But no, now was not the time for questions. Loading and cranking the musket the man had thrown down to her, Autumn braced herself, and they entered the museum. Unfortunately, the raiders, perched on the ramp-way above, held the advantage. Nonetheless, the musket, slow and unwieldy though it was, boasted impressive range and force, and she was able to down one of the gunmen. However, before she had a chance to duck into the darkened room to her side, she felt a bullet lodge into her lower leg; dragging herself into the room, Autumn swore. Codsworth quickly appeared at her side.

“Here take this Ma’am.” Autumn remembered stimpacks, seemingly miraculous hypodermic syringes that could alleviate pain and staunch the flow of blood in mere seconds, and she lost little time in jabbing the medication into her leg. “We’ll need to remove the bullet later, but that should do for now.”

Autumn nodded her thanks, reloaded her weapon and, crouching from the shadowed room, took aim; given the acute throbbing in her leg, it was impossible to repress the twinge of satisfaction when her assailant fell.

The raiders on the second floor were few and isolated from one another, so it was not long before they reached the building’s upper level, where a room at the end of a hallway held a small, ragged group of individuals. It was evident that their recent experience with the raiders had been the final culmination of a prolonged struggle. When their leader, Preston Garvey, a kind-featured man uniformed in a tattered colonial duster, described the group’s flight from the home that had been seized by Gunners, and their subsequent losses before finally arriving in Concord, Autumn’s guesses were confirmed.

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Apr 21 2023, 10:30 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 25 2023, 07:49 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

Sweet, she's got a dog! C'mere boy! C'mon! C'mon! 🐕‍🦺 And the thing is, since Autumn is already familiar with dogs from the past, she's not going to immediately try to pwn the thing.

On the other hand, she's not going to know mole rats. Which (despite their ugliness) could be just as friendly as the dog. Because she don't know the diff yet. Very good.

WOW look at those graphics!!! blink.gif I gotta get this game one of these days. Maybe this summer.

Nice, she's got a 'nade she can throw! 💣 Yikes, doing so reminds her of Nate. sad.gif Is the husband always named Nate, by the way?

Autumn remembered stimpacks, seemingly miraculous hypodermic syringes that could alleviate pain and staunch the flow of blood in mere seconds,

THAT is a great explanation of how these things work. A lot of "realism" type gamers scoff the idea of stimpaks, because they're sort of too fantastical for what's supposed to be an alternate portrayal of Earth. So I love how you explained the way they work, at least for healing.

Hey, a suggestion: can you break up the text in future stories? My eyes have trouble going from left to right, I sometimes lose my place. With books, text walls are okay, because I can just use my thumbs to guide my eyes to the next sentence. Can't do this with a screen, not as easily, anyway.

This story's awesome!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 26 2023, 11:24 PM
Post #25

Paladin
Group Icon

Another companion – and one with senses that quite complement and round out those of Autumn and Codsworth.

A rough welcome to mole rats and how tasty they can be. A good precursor for their bloody welcome to Red Rocket area. At least Codsworth is not skinning dead raiders up for dinner. tongue.gif You did a really nice job showing us Autumn’s harsh but needed transition from a more peaceful time to the violence-filled situation in which she now finds herself. Hopefully, her nausea at killing will pass, but not her compassion.

More possible companions or even potential friends? Let’s hope so.

Though I'm fine with it, I see what Renee means. Your writing is very solid, a joy to read and I love the size of your episodes (about 1000 words or so) so if you don't want 'suggestions', please just let us know - after all, the whole purpose here is to have fun and for you to enjoy delivering your story. That said, you might indeed consider shortening your average paragraph length. I normally try not to routinely exceed about half the paragraph length you are using.

One thing that might readily help here is to start a new paragraph each time you change speakers when dialogue is involved. Your opening paragraph of this episode is a great example of where that could apply. My dialogue mentor was SubRosa and, hopefully, she will add her insight here.

One tip I've found helpful is to occasionally use very short paragraphs when you want to emphasize something -

Like this one.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 27 2023, 12:31 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Hooray for canines! (Friendly ones, at least). And had to smile at Codsworth filleting the mole-rats...

The screen-shots add tremendously to the "feel" of the narrative... well done. Equally good is Autumn's experience with training taking over, but then the feeling when reality sets in. The raiders may be murderous scum... okay, no "may be" about it... but they are still people, and Autumn's reaction to the battle shows that she is NOT a psychopath. This installment has plenty of action, but does not sacrifice the overall feeling of the story- that is harder than it looks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 27 2023, 01:09 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

I liked how you painted the introduction of Dogmeat, with the juxtaposition between what Autumn expected, with the german shepherd she got instead.

As Renee and Acadian noted, I do suggest that you break up your paragraphs into smaller units. They get really overwhelming when they are that large, and turn into a daunting wall of text. Don't worry, lots of small paragraphs are just fine. They can be just one sentence long.

Also as was noted, starting a new paragraph every time the speaker changes in dialogue is a good starting point. Otherwise it gets hard to tell who is talking.

I loved the reference to Codsworth jokes. I always loved Wadsorth's jokes in Fallout 3. "I was going to attend the clairvoyants meeting, but it was cancelled due to unforeseen events."

Raiders, I hate these guys...

Autumn handled her first taste of real combat really well, all things considered. I liked how you painted her as a real person, with a real emotional reaction to an extremely emotional and traumatic event.

Thank goodness for stimpaks!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 27 2023, 04:44 AM
Post #28

Evoker

Wow... thanks all.

Inspired by some of the awesome stories I've been reading here, I was going to wait with my replies until I posted the next installment, because, as others here have experienced, I'm somewhat uncomfortable spamming my own thread.

However, you all gave such detailed and incredibly helpful feedback, so this time, at least, I decided to post earlier rather than later.

First, a blanket note:
I definitely see what you are all saying about the long paragraphs, and I have started breaking up my unposted installments, paying particular attention to appropriate dialogue breaks. I have also just started doing this right off the bat in the bit I'm currently writing, and I've found it seems to help make the words flow more freely, as well. So thank you for that!

My previous experience with fan fiction was part of a collaborative effort, which was, of course, a very different beast. This is the first story I've written, however, that is kind of just me. I mean, it is, and it isn't, because, in a sense, everyone here is a part of it as well. If that makes sense?

I really do welcome any and all pointers, so again, cheers!

@Renee,
Heh! Well she is slightly familiar with mole rats, given they were around before... but they're definitely much bigger than she remembers! biggrin.gif The vanilla graphics are pretty good, and they did a nice job with the lighting.

Amongst the mods I'm using, I do have texture mods, a basic ENB, and a mod that makes interior lighting a bit more dramatic. So if you decide to pick the game up, and you're interested, I can shoot you my mod list. FO4's mod scene is much smaller than Skyrim's, but, on the plus side, this also makes it easier to maintain a stable load order! laugh.gif

So, the way it works, as you've likely guessed, is that you have the choice of playing one partner of a married couple. The wife is called "Nora" by default, and the husband is named "Nate." So, you can choose the name, stats etc. of whichever one you decide to play, while the other retains their vanilla name. You can change your spouse's appearance, if you want, but I never do. I think default Nate looks fine, and...there's not really much point..

Also, there's a huge list of names that Codsworth can say, so I always choose one of those.

Oh yeah... the seeming magic of stimpacks in the game doesn't work well for fiction, IMO, but I'm not really in the purist camp, either. So, I figured that describing the stimpacks the way I did was a reasonable compromise.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! wink.gif

@Acadian,
Dogmeat is great! In the vanilla game, unlike in FO3, you can't take him alongside a humanoid/robotic companion (though they appear to have originally planned for it), but... mods are wonderful!

*chuckles* Yeah... ewww... blink.gif I'll be honest, I've never, ever taken the cannibal perk in any Fallout game. I just can't... This may be related to the fact that I'm completely incapable of playing an "evil" (by my definition, anyway) character. Going by D&D alignments, Chaotic Neutral is my limit. I mean, Autumn is most certainly flawed, but I'm pretty sure she'd be horrified at eating human flesh. Anyway.. I'm rambling tongue.gif

Cheers, I appreciate your comment on the transition. That aspect has been slightly challenging to write, so I'm really glad I'm managing to convey Autumn's very necessary adjustment.

@Treydog,
I admit, I had a lot of fun writing that bit with the mole rats. laugh.gif
You have nailed exactly what I'm trying to do where the raiders are concerned... There's absolutely nothing redeeming about them, but they're still people, and Autumn is having a difficult time reconciling this. Thank you smile.gif As is the case for a lot of people, I struggle somewhat writing action/combat scenes, so I'm glad I seem to be maintaining the actual feel of the story.
Glad you enjoy the screenshots, too. I'm hoping to include them wherever I'm able, at least if the moment fits.

@SubRosa,
The first time I played the game, my reaction was, in fact, much like Autumn's. I was expecting to be ambushed by some variety of horror, and I was instead happily surprised by Dogmeat.

Wadsworth was actually one of my favourite parts of FO3, so I was quite delighted when his more fully developed sibling became my companion!

Thanks for the note on Autumn's first taste of combat, most certainly appreciated! As I mentioned to Treydog, I definitely struggled with that part at first, and the subsequent entries were even more difficult; I'd be lying if I claimed I didn't experience some writer's block as I was trying to get through them. It seems to be going a bit better now, though.

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Mar 27 2023, 05:10 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Mar 29 2023, 06:44 PM
Post #29

Evoker

Entry 5: Portent and Power

Preston Garvey, the man who had urgently appealed to them for help, introduced himself as one of the last remaining Minutemen. From what Autumn could glean, they were much like their historical namesake; a civilian militia dedicated to protecting the powerless. She couldn't escape the sudden feeling of having went back in time, rather than forward.

Autumn’s attention was particularly drawn by the woman, introduced by Preston as Marcy, who paced angrily up and down the worn floorboards. Marcy, arms defensively wrapped around herself, as if expecting a blow from any direction, glared at her, emanating both rage and despair. Her husband, Jun, was hunched upon the floor, rocking to and fro, as he stared at some distant point far beyond the room’s shadowed confines. Watching the couple brought a flood of memory, and Autumn turned away, feeling as though she had intruded.

Preston, and Sturgis, a fellow who was apparently some sort of mechanic, had informed her that an intact suit of power armour was situated on the museum’s rooftop, along with a vertibird and minigun. These items, they insisted, would be just what was needed to take on the raiders that were incoming, the only problem being that they required the power of a fusion core to function, one of which was locked away somewhere in the museum’s basement. How they knew danger to be imminent was revealed when she spoke to an older woman seated on the sofa. The dog, Autumn noted, was positioned close to the woman’s feet in a protective stance.

Mama Murphy, as she’d been introduced, eyed her with a vaguely glassy, yet penetrating, stare. “I can see a bit of what was, and what will be. And even what is, right now. And right now I can see there's something coming. Drawn by the noise, and the chaos,” she intoned. Her voice, somehow both forceful and quavering, had a raspy, breathless pitch that was unnerving.

Autumn stepped back, cautious; this singular woman could have just stepped from the vintage clothing and esoterica shop she remembered. She’d always been very sceptical of fortune-tellers and their ilk; most, from what she’d observed, were charlatans, and beyond that, their “craft,” in her view, flew in the face of all the legal training she’d ever undergone. Even an uncannily accurate Tarot reading she’d once consented to, at the coaxing of her more mystically-minded friends, she’d dismissed as vagaries and coincidence.

Mama Murphy continued in the same portentous vein, “Horns, scales…. DEATH…. it’s ANGRY.”

Codsworth, recalling her opinions on anything involving the occult or paranormal, cast Autumn a nervous, sidelong glance. Repressing a groan, Autumn, shifting the conversation, motioned to the shepherd. “Is he your dog, he’s beautiful?”

IPB Image

“Oh no, that’s Dogmeat, he led you to us cause he knew we needed your help. Dogmeat's thoughtful like that. But, he’s his own man, what you’d call a free spirit, he’ll follow you now, I’ve SEEN IT.” Autumn, smiling politely, indicated that she should return to the museum’s lower floors to hunt down the fusion core.

As she made her way to the building’s basement, Autumn’s thoughts pulled her in two different directions, though both were shaped by concern and irritation. The more practical, pressing matter was that she, in fact, possessed some small knowledge of power armour; Nate had shown her a set once, when she’d visited him at his training base. Her impression, at the time, had been one of horror, and, now, the thought of being trapped within its ponderous bulk brought a damp sheen of sweat to her face.

She weighed foregoing the cumbersome suit altogether, knowing full well that once enclosed by its mass, she might well panic, rendering its protections pointless. This thought also returned her to the acute dread she’d experienced upon being placed into the unnaturally cold “cleansing pod,” following their flight to the vault. However, keenly aware that the present required her attendance, she did her best to banish it.

The second irritation, albeit minor in comparison, involved Mama Murphy. Much as Autumn was loath to admit it, there was something about the old woman that actually rang true, and that unsettled her.

“Penny for your thoughts, Ma’am?” Autumn had forgotten that Codsworth had floated down the stairs to join her.

“Mmhmm… I’m just thinking I’d rather not wear that suit of power armour.”

The robot tutted in consternation, “Miss Autumn, you STILL have a bullet in your leg, need I remind you?”

Though touched by the robot’s obvious concern, she sighed. “Yes, but if I’m frozen by the terror of being in that blasted suit, the damned thing won’t do me much good, will it?”

Codsworth conceded that Autumn had a point, but assured her that he’d most certainly lend his firepower against whatever onslaught threatened. “That’s, of course, if more raiders even are coming,” muttered Autumn.

“You forgot the bit about horned, scaled death,” Codsworth offered helpfully. Autumn did not respond.

For some undecipherable reason, looking well pleased with himself, the robot visibly smirked.

A few minutes later, Autumn held the much sought fusion core, as well as several stimpacks that had been deposited near it. Resolving to use one of the stims to treat her leg a second time, before confronting the raiders (if they were in fact coming), Autumn wondered how it was that a mechanic, who was presumably long familiar with his environment, had failed to pick the simple lock that had guarded said fusion core.

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Apr 21 2023, 10:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 29 2023, 09:14 PM
Post #30

Paladin
Group Icon

Lots of info on this new group of Minutemen that Autumn's fallen in with for now. I don't know what the game offers but I like your explanation of how Dogmeat found Autumn and that he is likely to stay with her now.

Fabulous internal dialogue in Autumn's head as she shares her thoughts and concerns. And she does indeed grab the required power core.

Her concern about the mechanic at the end is a tad worrisome. I hope it's not a harbinger of bad things ahead.

You certainly took on board the recommendations about paragraph length here. smile.gif

I still recommend starting a new paragraph with each dialogue speaker change. With rapid dialogue exchanges that can make for lots of small paragraphs but the mix is interesting. For example you might apply that to the following two paragraphs:

"Penny for your thoughts, Ma’am?” Autumn had forgotten that Codsworth had floated down the stairs to join her. “Mmmm... I’m just thinking I’d rather not wear that suit of power armour.” The robot tutted in consternation, “Miss Autumn, you STILL have a bullet in your leg, need I remind you?”

Though touched by the robot’s obvious concern, she sighed. “Yes, but if I’m frozen by the terror of being in that blasted suit, the damned thing won’t do me much good, will it?” Codsworth conceded that Autumn had a point, but assured her that he’d most certainly lend his fire power against whatever onslaught threatened. “That’s, of course, if more raiders even are coming,” muttered Autumn. “You forgot the bit about horned, scaled death,” Codsworth offered helpfully. Autumn did not respond. For some undecipherable reason, looking well pleased with himself, the robot visibly smirked.

Which would result in this:

“Penny for your thoughts, Ma’am?” Autumn had forgotten that Codsworth had floated down the stairs to join her.

“Mmmm... I’m just thinking I’d rather not wear that suit of power armour.”

The robot tutted in consternation, “Miss Autumn, you STILL have a bullet in your leg, need I remind you?”

Though touched by the robot’s obvious concern, she sighed. “Yes, but if I’m frozen by the terror of being in that blasted suit, the damned thing won’t do me much good, will it?” Codsworth conceded that Autumn had a point, but assured her that he’d most certainly lend his fire power against whatever onslaught threatened. “That’s, of course, if more raiders even are coming,” muttered Autumn.

“You forgot the bit about horned, scaled death,” Codsworth offered helpfully. Autumn did not respond. For some undecipherable reason, looking well pleased with himself, the robot visibly smirked.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 30 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

I find it so hilarious that the Minutemen are represented in this game. Do these soldiers even still exist? I'd say that's worth a trip to Wikipedia.

Minutemen were members of the organized New England colonial militia companies trained in weaponry, tactics, and military strategies during the American Revolutionary War. They were known for being ready at a minute's notice, hence the name.

Ha, emphasis on the word "were". biggrin.gif Original minutemen were supposed to be ready "at a minute's notice" but they fired musket guns, probably used whatever other implements were around (tools, shovels, etc.) whereas FO4's versions are going to be grabbing explosives. Laser weapons, and so on. Anyway, I totally get Autumn getting that feeling of moving back in time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't FO4's minutesoldiers wear those silly hats? laugh.gif

Really love all the little insights going on from Autumn's viewpoint. Like when she sees Mama Murphy and begins thinking about vintage shops from xxx many years ago.

Mm hmm, I agree, the thought of claustrophobia in a power armor suit. What if we somehow get stuck in there? indifferent.gif

Autumn wondered how it was that a mechanic, who was presumably long familiar with his environment, had failed to pick the simple lock that had guarded said fusion core.

A popular theme in Bethesda games, eh? "If this guild is full of capable warriors who spar all day, why can't just ONE of them join me as I head off to that cave? Why is it that it's always up to ME to get everything done outside of town walls?" unsure.gif

or

"If I'm now a member of the Brotherhood of Steel, its Citadel filled with power armor-wearing soldiers who'd (you'd think) would be all about getting out there to kick some Wasteland Ass, why does only one of them (Star Paladin Cross) elect to join me? And she's not even that good at keeping herself alive?" blink.gif

... and so on.

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 30 2023, 04:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Mar 30 2023, 04:40 PM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Mar 30 2023, 10:13 AM) *

Autumn wondered how it was that a mechanic, who was presumably long familiar with his environment, had failed to pick the simple lock that had guarded said fusion core.

A popular theme in Bethesda games, eh? "If this guild is full of capable warriors who spar all day, why can't just ONE of them join me as I head off to that cave? Why is it that it's always up to ME to get everything done outside of town walls?" unsure.gif

or

"If I'm now a member of the Brotherhood of Steel, its Citadel filled with power armor-wearing soldiers who'd (you'd think) would be all about getting out there to kick some Wasteland Ass, why does only one of them (Star Paladin Cross) elect to join me? And she's not even that good at keeping herself alive?" blink.gif

... and so on.

The eternal question, "Why is it always left up to me?"

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 31 2023, 12:33 AM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Excellent character-building AND moving the story forward in this installment. Autumn's claustrophobic concern about the power armor is a well-designed trait.

Way back in the Daggerfall days, one of the parts of character creation that I liked was the "Disadvantages."

Such as "Trey cannot use iron weapons."

For someone doing a serious RP with their game, those limitations were perfect for providing little background details. And it also made it less possible for every character (regardless of chosen "profession" to be just like every other character.

Autumn's reaction to Mother Murphy also provides insight into who she was, as well as who she is becoming.

And a hat-tip for pointing out the inconsistency of otherwise supposedly competent non-player characters who are nevertheless unable to find their ... um... glutes... with both hands and a flashlight UNTIL the player characters shows up....

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 1 2023, 12:31 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

This was a nice, richly evocative introduction to the refugee group whom some of us know will go on to settle in Sanctuary. The little pieces of each character you show us paints a colorful portrait of each in a short passage of text.

I can certainly see how being ensconced in a suit of powered armor might feel claustrophobic. Especially given how they are portrayed in Fallout 4, where they are more vehicles than attire. It could easily feel like being trapped in an armored coffin. Especially if the power even went out.

Next up, horned and scaled death.

I have noticed you have a habit of run on sentences, which can grow cumbersome to read. A good way to remind yourself where to cut off your sentences and start new ones is to read them out loud. When you find yourself running out of breath, that is probably where you want to stop. Also if you are breaking up a sentence into multiple commas, that is a good sign that maybe you should break that into multiple separate sentences instead.

For example this:
These items, they insisted, would be just what was needed to take on the raiders that were incoming, the only problem being that they required the power of a fusion core to function, one of which was locked away somewhere in the museum’s basement.

Could be turned into this:
They insisted that these items would be just what was needed to take on the raiders that were incoming. The only problem being that they required the power of a fusion core to function. One of those was locked away somewhere in the museum’s basement.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Apr 1 2023, 11:51 PM
Post #35

Evoker

@Acadian,
the explanation regarding Dogmeat is actually in the vanilla-game, and I felt it made sense to just go with it. I mean, we already have a fortune teller in our midst, so why not a supernaturally aware canine too? biggrin.gif Though, there are plenty of "interesting" theories out there concerning the pup.

I've tried further shortening some paragraphs where it comes to dialogue, though, in some places, I've kept bits together because it occasionally makes sense. Thanks for pointing this out those examples, I definitely appreciate it!

@Renee,
Heh! Yep, I remember going to Wikipedia when I first played the game as well. I do know a bit about US history, but not in-depth, so I was curious about the Minutemen. And, oh yes... they definitely do have those hats; to be honest, though, I kind of like them. biggrin.gif

@Macole,
Indeed.... The number of times I have said while playing most games, "Why me?"

@Treydog,
Cheers smile.gif
I wish I could take credit for deliberately giving Autumn a weakening trait, or one intended as RP... I'm claustrophobic in RL, though, and because of that, I have a lot of trouble using PA, or even just basic heavy armour, when I play games. So.. it's almost necessary to give Autumn the same problem, since I actually have no real idea how to write about PA. Plus, if I'm honest, I also just don't like it very much, it's loud and clunky. Still... it does make for some creativity during combat at times, and I have sometimes used it in the RP sense.

@SubRosa,
I'm glad I succeeded in giving snapshots of each character, that's definitely what I was aiming for.
Oh yeah.. run-on sentences are certainly a habit I've picked up over the past few years because of some other writing I've been involved with, so I appreciate the reminder. I have tried, with this entry, to reduce them a bit, though there are still some I kept, where they seem to fit.

~~~

Ugh... yeah... I've always thought Sturgis not being able to pick locks was ridiculous, and entirely needless poor writing on Bethesda's part. Why they didn't just say something like, "Hey, we have the fusion core, but after everything that's happened, we were trying to figure out what to do." They still come off as helpless, and as though they're waiting for the protagonist to come along and help them locate certain parts of their anatomies, but at least it would be a little more logical.

~~~

A note: I've been debating whether or not to add this preamble, but, in the end, I decided it might be a good idea. One section in this entry was... somewhat difficult for me to write, which means it might also be difficult for some people to read. I haven't broken any forum rules or anything, and there's simply implication, nothing further... but it's there. You'll know you're close when you see the name "Gristle." So... light trigger warning.

~~~

Entry 6: Lessons Learned

Codsworth, excited at the sight of the power armour, proclaimed, “I say Ma’am, you’ll be unstoppable in that!”

IPB Image

Eyeing the rusted suit with considerable trepidation, Autumn grimaced and jammed the fusion core into the indent at its back. Several things happened almost simultaneously. The metallic exoskeleton of circuits, steel, and bolts shuddered and emitted a shower of blindingly blue sparks, accompanied by an ear-splitting, clanging screech. It then, almost in slow motion, swayed to the ground, visibly coming apart as it did so.

Relieved that the decision had been made for her, Autumn glanced toward the vertibird and the minigun within. Several generations of rust had taken their toll here too; the weapon had dropped from its disintegrated mount and Autumn questioned whether it would even still fire. She was also forced to conclude that Preston and Sturgis, in their beleaguered state, had failed to accurately assess the condition of the equipment they’d been so eager to commandeer.

Abandoning the useless power armour, Autumn, and an anxious Codsworth, re-entered the museum and descended to the first floor. Cautiously, she cracked open the door and scanned the area. If more raiders were in the vicinity, they had yet to show themselves; the three-way intersection in front of the museum appeared devoid of life, except for the crows that were perched on blackened telephone poles.

For a moment, she wondered why the birds took no interest in the previously dispatched raiders; however, she was acutely grateful for their apparent lack of appetite.

IPB Image

To further ensure the area was deserted, Autumn fired an experimental shot at a rusted out car nearby. Although this caused the car to explode, only the flapping crows reacted. Codsworth suggested they hide in one of the buildings lining the road; it would provide cover, and allow Autumn the chance to snipe at any raiders, while the robot distracted them with his flamer and saw.

Glad she’d grabbed one of the odd pipe-like rifles she’d found when rifling through a dead raider’s kit, she loaded its magazine with several rounds of .38 bullets, thankful that they were a particularly common variety of ammo. Although the gun was a cheap, rudimentary affair, it offered a far faster rate of fire than the much sturdier musket, as well as possessing a similar range. Of course, all of this was assuming the raiders actually did appear.

Harsh shouts and the scuffing of boots on pavement could be heard in the near distance. Autumn glanced at Codsworth, her expression both wary and, for a moment, blatantly disbelieving. From her position, Autumn saw the group was gathering around the charred, dismembered corpses strewn near the museum. She could hear increasingly alarmed yells and bits of conversation.

“Bo and Annie are dead, what the Hell are we gonna tell Little Dougie!?” Autumn paled.

“They’re raiders, Miss Autumn, it is critical you remember that,” said Codsworth in a low, but firm, tone. Admonishment delivered, the robot, at full speed, announcing himself with oddly anomalous shouts of “Tally Ho!” and “Have at thee!,” accelerated toward the knot of raiders flamers ablaze and saws whirring.

Autumn, gritting her teeth, and reflecting that Codsworth demonstrated far more combat prowess than he’d suggested he possessed during their breakfast conversation, took aim. “One down,” she muttered.

The raiders, though, while neither the most disciplined nor organised fighters, were not lacking in awareness, and one, the man she’d heard referred to as “Gristle,” turned in the direction of her shot. “You guys deal with the robot, I’m gonna check what’s in that building,” indicated Gristle.

Codsworth’s opponents, now bloodied and suffering multiple burns, glared wordlessly at their leader’s apparent retreat. Trying to maintain her advantage, Autumn slipped behind a counter just seconds before Gristle entered the dilapidated shop. Before his eyes had the chance to adjust, she silently reached for her pistol and fired. Autumn’s bullet, however, went wide and merely grazed the heavily scarred figure. With horrifying alacrity, he unsheathed a serrated combat knife and advanced towards the counter, breaking into a slow, gratified smile when he spied his quarry.

Shaking, her blood running cold, Autumn fired again, this time managing to hit Gristle’s upper arm. He winced in pain, but did not slow his approach. Her finger squeezed down on the trigger, and losing all control, Autumn pumped the few remaining 10 mm bullets into Gristle’s torso. His leather chest piece, however, provided Gristle with a measure of protection, and although wounded, he growled and grasped Autumn’s shoulder, pinning her to the wall, his heavy breath foetid upon her.

Instinct took over, and with a scream, she brought her knee up in a forceful, adrenalin-fuelled slam.

Gristle let out an agonised grunt, and, clutching at himself, venomously spilling expletives, he staggered to the side. Seeing her chance, Autumn jumped up, pushed past the heaving Gristle, and ran out into the road, grateful she’d remembered to use another stimpack before re-engaging the raiders.

Codsworth, looking worse for wear, was battling two profusely bleeding raiders; their fellows having joined those whose lives had already seeped into the ground. Quickly, Autumn raised the pipe rifle and shot; her target lurched, and Codsworth brought his saw to bear.

IPB Image

From the balcony above, Autumn could hear the sound of a musket being cranked, and then, the remaining raider exploded in a cascade of gore.

“Righty-ho,” chirped Codsworth, “I do believe that’s all of them!”

“Not quite,” she responded, her voice strained.

“Miss Autumn, why you’re shaking again, is everything all…..” Before the worried robot was able to finish his sentence, a shuddering roar reverberated through the almost empty streets. They heard a frantic shout from the balcony, “DEATHCLAW!

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Apr 21 2023, 10:35 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Apr 2 2023, 08:06 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

"Technology will save us!" To which Autumn (and a bunch of other people) reply, "And what historical precedent are you citing for that?"

But more to the point (and Autumn's relief) 200+ year-old, unmaintained tech may not exactly be up to spec- as anyone who has ever tried to get power equipment working again after a SINGLE winter can attest. (Even without assuming the intervention of inquisitive and opportunistic rodents).

You continue to beautifully depict our main character's adaptation to her new reality- in all its ugly brutality. She is still dealing with barbarity without becoming barbaric herself.

And ... oh boy... a lizard.... ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 2 2023, 08:41 PM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

Like Autumn, I was glad (for her) that the claustrophobic set of power armor was too far gone to use. Too bad about the vertibird and its minigun though.

Another raider battle and, again, you give them a bit of personality to drive home the fact that they actually are human beings with feelings – both good and evil. Glad she was able to put down Gristle before he could make good on his creepy smile. Codsworth is continuing to earn his keep via both his advice, encouragement, admonishments and combat prowess. Is Dogmeat still with her?

Uh oh, a mutant Daedroth approaching. . . will Autumn and her robopal run, hide or fight? I’d vote for one of the first two options.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 2 2023, 09:51 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

I do love how the 200 year old suit of power armor turned on, and then immediately broke! It was a nice little nod to the reality of the need to constantly maintain any source of technology.

And a confusing brawl as Codsworth charges right in. Autumn's plan to snipe from the roof falls apart as quickly as every plan that meets contact with the enemy. A harrowing encounter with the Raider boss ensued, bringing home the desperation and ugliness of fighting for one's life. As Autumn runs back out in the street, I am left to wonder if Gristle is actually dead, or if he will stagger out in soon to join the fight. Or slink back to Corvega when all is said and done with.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ArtemisNoir
post Apr 16 2023, 05:04 AM
Post #39

Evoker

Sorry for the late update! Real life and some technical headaches, combined with having become immersed in Dragon Age Origins, so it was a bit difficult to switch gears, since they're such different games.

@Treydog,
indeed.... I rather imagine Autumn has decidedly mixed feelings on the "wonders" of technology....

I agree! It has always struck me as odd that the game allows you to just step into fully functional sets of power armour (that have been standing out in the elements for 200+ years), especially because one of the NPCs/companions you meet later on will, in fact, express concern over his PA rusting when he's out in the rain for just an hour or so.

Thanks smile.gif

@Acadian,
Thank you... It's difficult, because raiders really are scum, but even so, they're still people, and.... compassion is sort of Autumn's Achilles Heel.

@SubRosa,
Yep! As I mentioned to Treydog, there's no way that old PA should STILL be working!
*grins*... Ah yes... Gristle...

~~~

Entry 7: The Monster

IPB Image

It was possible he had neither heard the roar, nor the warning; or perhaps, he'd been wholly consumed by rage. Running into the road, still intent upon his pursuit, Gristle did not notice the creature that now barrelled toward him.

A musket shot rang out.

Gristle began to respond. Then, realising he had not, in fact, been the target, he instinctively turned in the direction Preston was firing. Immediate panic took hold, and the raider, in a blind rush, bolted across the road and into an alley.

Autumn, making no move, observed him, dispassionately.

The deathclaw switched course, and followed.

Moments later, they heard a single, excruciated scream.

Codsworth, fortunately, at that juncture, had the presence of mind to seize Autumn’s arm, and spur her toward the building where they’d previously sheltered. Autumn winced upon crossing its threshold, but she knew the creature that had just slain Gristle posed a far greater threat than the recollection of her recent narrow escape.

Intact stairs led to a second floor, and then another set to a third. Even better, the building’s uppermost floor had an adjoining balcony, and it was here, concealed by a large post, that Autumn crouched. She turned to the robot, “Codsworth, please don’t engage the deathclaw up close, it needs to be taken out at range, you heard what it did to Gristle.” Although unhappy, Codsworth appeared to acquiesce.

It did not take long before the deathclaw emerged from the alley. Snout and incisors stained dark red, it raised its head to sniff the air. Autumn aimed; although she hit the beast, she was too far to really inflict harm. She did, however, succeed in attracting its attention. The deathclaw, eyes blazing, lunged, and loped toward the building. Once more, Autumn fired; the second shot delivered slightly more damage, but, even so, she may as well have been tossing pebbles at the thick, scaled hide.

She was reminded of legendary creatures from mythology.“At least it can’t fly or breathe fire,” muttered Autumn, as she readied her musket.

Fuelled by frustration and anger, the deathclaw again roared, and swiped at the balcony; splinters and battered tiles swept into the dust below. The balcony shook. Autumn, cranking the musket, let loose a torrent of profanity; had it been possible, Codsworth would have blushed.

IPB Image

Suddenly, they heard a shot from the museum's balcony, “Hey ugly, over here!” yelled Preston, loudly, cranking his weapon again.

The deathclaw turned, uncertain, and headed toward the new source of irritation. As it advanced in the direction of the museum, Autumn moved further to the balcony’s edge, and, with some reluctance, reached for her remaining grenade, pulled the pin, and launched it at the deathclaw. The acrid stench of burning hide assaulted her, and the creature pitched sideways. After a moment, however, still on fire, it righted itself, and continued its path toward the museum.

The whirring crank of Preston’s laser musket intensified, and a ruby flare rushed toward the enraged beast; briefly illuminated by a faint red glow, it roared in obvious pain.

From the corner of her eye, Autumn observed a metallic figure rapidly manoeuvring toward the deathclaw. “Codsworth!” she yelled. Flames and spinning saw engaged horns and gaping maw.

IPB Image

Preston again cranked his weapon, and Autumn, unable to bear the thought of potentially losing Codsworth, ran down the stairs, and into the road for a closer shot. As if timed, the simultaneous whoosh of two laser muskets joined, and, in an instant, what had resembled a being from nightmares, capable of snuffing out life with a single swipe of its claw, dissipated into a smouldering pile of ash.

IPB Image

Kneeling beside cooling ashes, Autumn felt regret. Despite the fear that had coursed through her during the battle, she’d also experienced awe. The creature had possessed a certain majesty, and although it had been driven by instinct, she’d seen the unequivocal spark of intelligence in its eyes. Grabbing a small box she’d found, Autumn gently scooped the ashes into it, and placed the container into her pack. Codsworth gave her a perplexed, musing look, but said nothing.

Preston Garvey and his group were gathered to welcome them on the museum’s lower floor. “That…that was an impressive display…. I’m sure glad you’re on our side,” he said.

Autumn raised her eye, “I don’t think I’d exactly call it impressive, and besides, I was hardly alone. I’d be dead if it hadn’t been for you and Codsworth.” Dogmeat bounded up to her, and whined. “When you guys went out there, it was everything we could do to keep him with us,” explained Preston. Autumn knelt down, and burrowed her head into the soft fur, murmuring. “Hey, it’s OK, boy, we’re fine now.”

More collected, Autumn stood and surveyed the group. Suddenly remembering something, Preston approached, dug into his pocket and offered her a large pile of bottle caps. “I know we didn’t say anything about it, but here, you deserve these.”

IPB Image

Confused, Autumn looked at Codsworth for direction. The robot, realising the situation, quickly explained, “Bottle caps are used as currency now, Ma’am.”

Taken aback, she shook her head at Preston, “I didn’t do it for any reward, you guys were in trouble.”

It was Preston’s turn to be surprised. “I… are you sure? Seriously? I mean, sorry, it’s just… that’s pretty unusual these days,” he stammered. Then, another thought struck him, “Hey, you know what, you should come with us to Sanctuary.”

This post has been edited by ArtemisNoir: Apr 21 2023, 10:36 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 16 2023, 02:01 PM
Post #40

Councilor
Group Icon

Artemis, that deathclaw looks truly frightening. OKay, they always look scary. But the stark contrast between the monster and the run-down street it's standing on. Yeesh.

Phew, Codsworth is there. What level is Autumn? Doesn't seem like she's very experienced, yet there's already deathies mucking about??? indifferent.gif

Is Cods now taking the beast head on? Looks like Autumn's gonna need a bigger bot. tongue.gif

Yep, bottlecaps are currency now. I've always found it ironic in our modern times bottles have small amounts of value if they are recycled in a state which has a return policy. Nobody cares about the caps. Well in postwar Fallout games, it's the caps which have value. Nobody cares about bottles. 🍼

This post has been edited by Renee: Apr 16 2023, 02:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:56 AM