Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
Lady Saga
post Mar 5 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #341

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Mar 5 2012, 07:54 AM) *

Oh my goodness. Barnabas Collins and his Dark Shadows day show grew to almost cult-like proportions during its heyday! I guess I'm giving away my age. . . . tongue.gif

Heh, I guess I woulda been not even born yet during the first couple seasons. I can imagine what it must have been like...all these other regular daytime soaps like General Hospital and All My Children..and then Dark Shadows comes on the scene. huh.gif There are some portions of Dark Shadows that are downright disturbing, even without CGIs and all the stuff we'd see in a modern horror show.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 5 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #342

Ancient
Group Icon

I remember Dark Shadows. There was even a remake of the series back in the late 80s or early 90s. It only lasted about half a season though.

Yesterday I watched Dragon Age: Redemption, a short movie made from several webisodes. For what it was, it was rather good. Felicia Day stars as an elf, and put in a good performance. Most of the characters are pretty stock, and the plot nothing original. But they did it all very well, for what is basically something that is just one step up from a fan movie.

It made me try out The Guild, also with Felicia Day. It is something I have hemmed and hawed over watching for a long time now. Netflix has it on instant viewing, so I watched the first episode last night. It is just ridiculous, with a cast representing the many stereotypes of gamers, all taken to comedic extremes of course. It was fun, and Day is a joy to watch. I added the rest of the series to my disc queue.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 5 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #343

Mouth
Group Icon

Where did you see DA: Redemptions? On the web? Or TV?
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 5 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #344

Mouth
Group Icon

I just went and watched Dragon Age: Redemption. More or less agree, very stock, not the best writing and unoriginal. But on the other hand I did just spend an hour watching it and enjoyed it enough to watch to the end so it can't have been bad. It suffered from trying to do too much, especially with CGI, with too little money. Less ambitious sets and less CGI done better would have worked.

Saying that it was only a semi-professional production so I shouldn't expect too much and it was free and it was about a game series I rather like. So yeah if you like Dragon Age go for it, otherwise probably not.

EDIT: Saga - I just watched it on youtube, there's a HD version on the Machinema channel.

This post has been edited by Olen: Mar 5 2012, 11:58 PM

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 6 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #345

Ancient
Group Icon

What Olen said. Try YouTube, or just google it. I never even played the Dragon Age games, but I still liked it. Its very simple plot and predictable characters mean that you do not not need to know the game. It is your basic fantasy swords and sorcery tale. If you like that, you will like DA:R. Just do not expect Hollywood blockbuster money behind it and you will not be let down.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Mar 6 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #346

Mouth
Group Icon

Okay, thanks. I'm not sure if I'll have time to watch that today. Especially if it's over an hour. I'm at work. :/

Kinda off-topic kinda/sorta but I got DA: Origins a few years back. I think it was Origins. Whatever DA everybody complains about, that's the one I got at home. Anyways, I popped it in, sat thru the opening movie and stuff, but when it came time to actually start playing the game, I couldn't get interested for some reason. I think I tried for half an hour, moved my character around and stuff. I just couldn't get into it. rolleyes.gif

Compare that to the beginning of Oblivion and Skyrim. In both games I was hooked from the moment the opening credits started rolling. Not that I'm putting the DA series down, but I just thought it was interesting I literally had no interest in the game, whereas with TES I would have probably kicked anybody who would have dared take the controller out of my hand during my first playthrough! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Mar 6 2012, 04:23 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 6 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #347

Ancient
Group Icon

It was only about 45 minutes or so, not counting the end credits. So about the same as watching a t.v. show.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 6 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #348

Master
Group Icon

Cartoons.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Mar 7 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #349

Master
Group Icon

Cartoons? Seems I'm not the only one. Don't really know why though. Probably because I wanted to watch from a "grown-up" perspective. Not much difference, still watched it like a kid.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 7 2012, 01:21 AM
Post #350

Ancient
Group Icon

I watch these cartoons a LOT:

South Park (They killed Kenny!)
Family Guy (Stewie)

I also watch some King of the Hill, but it takes a back seat.

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 7 2012, 01:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 7 2012, 03:37 AM
Post #351

Master
Group Icon

Clone Wars(Mostly because of the Sith and the Bounty Hunters) and Family Guy. Both good shows. The first has progressively got darker for a kid's show.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 9 2012, 01:43 AM
Post #352

Ancient
Group Icon

Still watching The Guild. Lots of fun. I actually laugh out loud when I watch it, which I almost never do. (Most comedies just bore me). Today I found out that Do You Want To Date My Avatar? came from The Guild! I am so swooning over Felicia Day. Come to think of it, she would make a great Teresa, if she were only paler...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 9 2012, 01:49 AM
Post #353

Master
Group Icon

Hehe.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 12 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #354

Councilor
Group Icon

This weekend we went to see Disney's John Carter...Which was really good actually, didn't expect much from it and got so much more than I thought...So well done that film...Like a less pretentious Avatar...And I'll be honest, I'd sooner sit through John Carter twice...

And yesterday we went to see The Raven, which is about "the last few days" of Edgar Allen Poe...Really good film...Proper old school horror-ish/thriller...Some nasty stuff in there, but more pleasant to watch than say...Saw...Which I haven't seen, but I'd sooner watch an old school horror than the torture po*n that they seem to like doing now...

Anyways, John Cusack is always fun...Loved it...
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 18 2012, 01:47 AM
Post #355

Master
Group Icon

Just finished watching "They Might be Giants" with George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward. Without saying too much, it is about a retired judge in modern-day (well 1971 modern day) Manhattan who believes he is Sherlock Holmes.

Upon being taken to a clinic to be evaluated for commitment, he meets Dr. Watson- (Woodward).

The cast is filled with character actors an old dog like me recognizes with pleasure. The story has an innocence that worked at the end of the 1960's, before Watergate, before- well, so much of the last 40 years.

The title is from Don Quixote- regarding the windmills that he perceives as giants.

Perhaps the best quote is delivered near the end- as George C. Scott demonstrates WHY he was brilliant at his craft:

"Dear friends, would those of you who know what this is all about please raise your hands? I think if God is dead he laughed himself to death. Because, you see, we live in Eden. Genesis has got it all wrong. We never left the Garden. Look about you. This is paradise. It's hard to find, I, I'll grant you, but it is here. Under our feet, beneath the surface, all around us is everything we want. The earth is shining under the soot. We are all fools."

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 31 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #356

Councilor
Group Icon

Were having a Games of Thrones marathon this weekend. Its raining, and the calendar is otherwise mostly empty. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 31 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #357

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh, that will be fun for you... huh.gif ...We did the first few episodes (the wife enjoyed the Jason Momoa...Um...Parts a little too much sad.gif )...But then we got all...*Yawn*...Not for us...

But amywho...Just saw Wrath of The Titans...And was seriously impressed...It's like, 2 bazillion (real number) times better than the first one...Brilliant stuff...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Mar 31 2012, 03:01 PM
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 31 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #358

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Mar 31 2012, 08:29 AM) *

Were having a Games of Thrones marathon this weekend. Its raining, and the calendar is otherwise mostly empty. smile.gif

I saw the first season for sale on blu-ray a few weeks ago for $50. I was so tempted to buy it. But I still have not seen it yet. I never watch tv shows on tv. If it looks interesting I either netflix it, or buy it. That way I can watch the whole thing at once, without having to wait a week between episodes. I want to get it netflix first, just to be sure I like it. Seeing that Sean Bean is in the first season (at least until, well, I don't want to spoil things for anyone), I am sure I will like it though.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 31 2012, 07:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Mar 31 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #359

Master
Group Icon

Spartacus: Vengeance, season finale episode.

Depressing. Don't watch it if you seen the series before. nono.gif

Now, I never seen the new Wrath of the Titans, but I will definetly check it out. I take your word for it, Badgere. I never got into Game of Thrones, but I heard it's AWESOME.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Apr 14 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #360

Councilor
Group Icon

I've just finished watching Wall-E, for only the second time ever...We have the DVD...The kids have watched it but I never seem to be around when they do...

I've decided...It's pretty much almost my most favourite film ever...
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 PM