Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What have I done...
boonesim
post May 4 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Retainer

I am facing the eternal choice we all must face...character creation wacko.gif
I know this subject has been beaten to death but it is still what we all must face over and over again. I have started at least 10 characters and still I have problems facing this choice. I want to make the best character I can, and one that I can enjoy and love to play. This time I am trying to make the best warrior I can.
Here is what I'm looking at.
He will be a Warrior, primarily a fighter but with the ability to cast, after all, every character must have some spell casting ability. Magic is dominate in this game. Most fighter types have a low Magicka/Intelligence level to start, that makes it hard.
He will be a Redguard, I like the starting stats and the Adrenline Rush is awesome.
Birthsign will be Warrior, for the strength and endurance boost. ( I did think about Mage to get the Magicka boost, but I chickened out)
Atributes, Strength ( easy choice) and Intelligence so I can get the bonuses for Intelligence skill-ups, this will help with the lack of starting Magicka.
Skills will be , obviously, Blade ; Block; Heavy Armor; Armorer
the next 3 choices are made based on everyone's personal preferences and opinion. I am looking at ,
Alchemy so I can make alot of quality restore Magicka and restore Health potions.
Destruction so I can get the monsters attention, for pulling and to open up the choices for enchanting.
Restoration for healing, even though the heals are weak, and for the shield spells and to get the 25 point starter as Restoration is so hard to level-up.
I will use all the other skills and will level them all up but my main concern is to not level my character too fast.
Everyone has their on perferences and opinion, but this is what I am looking at today to make a Warrior.
What do you think? What choices will hurt my character later in his life? What am I missing?
Thank you
and his name will be Jor-El ( father of Kal-El a.k.a Superman tongue.gif )

--------------------
Jor-El
Redguard Warrior
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 4 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

My modification to that character:
Primary Attributes:Endurance and Inteligence.Endurance isn't retroactive so it's very important to max it out as soon as posible.Inteligence isn't,but since you're anxius for using magicka take it as primary.Strenght is very easy to develop,and you can develop it any time you want wink.gif

Birthsign:The Atronach.
Can you survive without regeneration?150 magicka is a considerable boost,plus absorb spell can make you REALLY strong versus mages.You can regenerate magicka by drinking restore magicka potions (you can make them with your alchemy skill) and by consuming those little stones in Ayelid ruids.

Your choice of Skills and Race is exelent.

Have fun!

--------------------
''Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.''
- Albert Einstein

''One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.''
- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
boonesim
post May 4 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #3

Retainer

Well thank you for the input. I don't want to have a Battlemage character but I'm thinking that the Birthsign can be Atronach and that would take care of the lack of Magicka as well as making him stronger against casters. So now my Primary Atributes can be Endurance and Strength as they really should be. As for the Magicka regeneration, I can make plenty of potions and those Welke stones are very plentiful. I just wanted to be able to have the power to cast when needed, he will still be primarally a slash and bash Warrior.
Do you think these choices will cause me to have any problems as he reaches the higher levels? like 25+. I have played 2 other Warriors, 1 to level 14 and one to level 17 useing different choices. I want to make this one to take all the way.

--------------------
Jor-El
Redguard Warrior
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 4 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(boonesim @ May 4 2006, 07:45 PM)
Do you think these choices will cause me to have any problems as he reaches the higher levels? like 25+.  I have played 2 other Warriors, 1 to level 14 and one to level 17 useing different choices. I want to make this one to take all the way.

There will be no problem.When you really get in a mess just drink some Fortify potions,make poisons for your weapons (Alchemy can make you a poison with 5 negative effects!),use your Adrenaline rush,etc.

You could also develop Illusion as secondary.Dissapear when you're in really big trouble,charm people,frenzy,calm,PARALYZE,it can all be very useful for a any class,especialy for a melee fighter.

Don't worry about the locks:When you find a certain artifact called Skeleton Key you'll be able to pick any lock you want.

Well the rest is up to you.Note that changing battle tactics can make ''Imposible Victoryes''.For example,don't fight the Troll melee!Trolls are easyly beaten with fire.Just a few fireballs and you can flush 'em out in no time.

Have Fun!

--------------------
''Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.''
- Albert Einstein

''One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.''
- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
Furious_George
post May 4 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Finder
Group Icon

I generally like your character. I too prefer redguards for that awesome adrenaline rush power.

I'd add that armorer is in my opinion an essential major skill. I definitely want to be a journeyman asap for a warrior because you'll used magical weapons and need to be able to repair them. You'll want to master it asap too so that your weapons do +25% damage and your armor is stronger.

You don't really need any magic skills to be major skills. They're easily practiced and if want to be a 'true' warrior you'll use magic only when necessary, but *not* when fighting/beating opponents. IMHO.
Of course, I rarely play *pure* warrior, so like you I'd use some magical or social skills. Only when I play an orc warrior would I eschew magic almost entirely (on my archaic, stereotyped notion that orcs are genetically intellectually inferior) smile.gif
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 4 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

I suggest for secondary skills (if they still exist, cause i haven't played oblivion) Mystism & Enchant. Mystism will let you use soultrap and enchant will save warriors loads on buying or finding Enchanted items.

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 4 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(DarkHunter @ May 4 2006, 10:15 PM)
I suggest for secondary skills (if they still exist, cause i haven't played oblivion) Mystism & Enchant. Mystism will let you use soultrap and enchant will save warriors loads on buying or finding Enchanted items.

Are you talking about Oblivion or Morrowind?
Must be Morrowind.
Sorry to burst your bubble,but enchantment skill is removed.
And Mysticism is very easy to develop,and he will need only 25 Mysticism for a decent soul trap.

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
Elendil
post May 4 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #8

Evoker

I've only played 1 character.
He may have strange attributes 'cause this is my first time playing RPG's so I didn't quite understand how to do it... cool.gif

Here goes:
Race: Imperial
Birth: The Warrior
Class: Custom

Can't remember favoured attributes.

Majors:
Blade <-Expert
Block
Heavy Armor <-Expert
Destruction
Light Armor
Security <- Expert due to Skeleton Key
Sneak

He is awesome with the blades, kills of anything so far with relative ease.
Trolls, Ogres, Minotaurs and whathaveyou's. biggrin.gif
Uses little to none magic and when he does, its mostly for fun. biggrin.gif

To sum it up; Slow leveling killing machine... cool.gif And all by accident... laugh.gif

Played close to 90hrs and are still only lvl 16.
See sig for Progress.

--------------------
//Elendil
user posted image

Main Charcter:
Level 19 - Imperial
Custom Class [Ranger - Warrior/Stealth]
Arena - Grand Champion
Champion of Cyrodiil
Head of Mages Guild
Head of Fighters Guild
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 4 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

Just be prepared to level up very quickly if you choose Alchemy as main skill, provided you make lots of potions of course. It's the easiest skill to improve.

And Redguard sounds interesting. I like those in the game. Must try that once. What does Adrenaline Rush do, btw?

--------------------
Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!

Gandalf
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 4 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Olav @ May 4 2006, 10:37 PM)
And Redguard sounds interesting. I like those in the game. Must try that once. What does Adrenaline Rush do, btw?

Oh nothing important really.
Strenght +50
Agility +50
Speed +50
Endurance +50
Health +25

For 60 Seconds.How weak,huh? LOL laugh.gif
Just kidding offcourse,Redguard are UBER.

EDIT:Oh aside from the phenomenal Adrenaline Rush,they have poison resistance of 75,and resist disease 75.

This post has been edited by HyPN0: May 4 2006, 09:48 PM

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
boonesim
post May 5 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #11

Retainer

Olav is right that Alchemy will level you quickly as a main skill, but, it is a skill that I can control. To be used when I'm ready and in control of it. He is also right that to skill up Armorer asap in very crucial. I will be in control of my leveling, not completly but mostly.
I chose the skills like that because;
1) I will be useing Blunt only, until I'm ready to use the Blade
2) Restoratiojn and Destruction will not level up very fast as they are both hard to level up if they are not used alot
3)Alchemy is in my control
Heavy Armor and Block are not in my control as they will be used alot in every fight. These are what will level me the most. Armorer will be used alot as well and will help to level me up.
Now I have chosen Atronach for my Birthsign and while I do have the Magicka pool to use when needed, it appears that it will be a challange to master the art of dealing with no Magicka regeneration.
I'm at level 2 now and I think this will be an interesting character.

--------------------
Jor-El
Redguard Warrior
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 5 2006, 01:04 AM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(boonesim @ May 5 2006, 01:21 AM)
1) I will be useing Blunt only, until I'm ready to use the Blade

How does that make sence?You will need those cool blade perks at later levels.You will develop your strenght faster by using Blade.
2) Restoratiojn and Destruction will not level up very fast as they are both hard to level up if they are not used alot

Again:Why chosing them as primaryes if you don't want to use them often?I asure you that Restoration will be quite useful to you.Fortifying your attributes and healing yourself is CRUCIAL for a melee fighter.And Restoration is one of the hardest skills to develop,so be wise!
3)Alchemy is in my control

Yes it is.You will easyly max it out and make some uber potions and poisons.Most useful skill in the game IMO.Good for developing Intelligence too.
Heavy Armor and Block are not in my control as they will be used alot in every fight. These are what will level me the most. Armorer will be used alot as well and will help to level me up.

Actualy Block IS in your control.
Now I have chosen Atronach for my Birthsign and while I do have the Magicka pool to use when needed, it appears that it will be a challange to master the art of dealing with no Magicka regeneration.

I asked you can you handle it, didn't I?Max your Alchemy and make restore magicka potions of steel blue entaloma cap.To easyly aquire it,i suggest finishing the mage's guild storyline.All alchemy ingridients are easy to aquire that way evillol.sml.gif If you need a list of ingridients to make magicka potions at lower perks,just ask.
I'm at level 2 now and I think this will be an interesting character.

It seems to me that you've been looking in those guides that encourage you not to level up.They also have that crap about oposite skill developing.Well i must tell you that it doesn't make the game intresting nor challenging.You will be bored.Besides some quests require high level,and the prizes are exelent wink.gif

Relax,you'll do fine.Don't worry about your skills they will develop themselfs,you just take care about the attributes.Just develop some Endurance at start,and you've already done half the job. smile.gif

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
DoomedOne
post May 5 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

Keep in mind magic skills can be developed outside of combat, so they would make better minors just so you aren't levelling too fast while practicing your spells around town. I have level 60 restoration because I'm constantly practicing, something you can't do with the golem birthsign though, as magicka becomes very costly.

--------------------
A man once asked the Buddha, "How does one escape the heat of the summer sun?"

And the Buddha replied, "Why not try crawling into the blazing furnace?"
+Quote Post
Olav
post May 5 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

Just struck me, Magicka didn't automatically regenerate in Morrowind, did it? I was a Breton there, and I clearly remember having to sleep/travel or manually regenerate Magicka. So this has changed in Oblivion, so only those born under the Atronach have to manually regenerate it?

Anyway, remember to carry lots of Restore Magicka potions with this character! smile.gif

--------------------
Do not take me for a conjurer of cheap tricks!

Gandalf
+Quote Post
Joryn
post May 5 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #15

Agent

Why didnt you just say he is going to be a fighter/mage? I have played mages without using melee weapons. And when I have I just use bound weapons. Magic is definately not dominant in Oblivion. Especially when your a pure mage fighting lich's and Xivilai.

Anyway, Atronach.

Though if you ask me you should just concentrate on combat and forget magic, other wise youre not a "warrior" you just a "spellcasting warrior". Focus on one set of skills and become better with them.

--------------------
Faith, Law, and Justice. Walk on

Joryn - Lvl 40 Dunmer Mage born under the Mage.
+Quote Post
boonesim
post May 5 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #16

Retainer

Thank you all for your input, you have given me alot to build on. I like a good discussion.
This is my first TES game so I feel like the newb kid on the block biggrin.gif I think I am trying to play this game like Everquest, when they are not the same.
Maybe I am trying to over think this and trying too hard to make a character that does everything. I'm worried that he would become one dimensional, but maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Joryn is right, why don't I just call him a fighter/mage, or a Battlemage. I want to stick to my original idea of this character being a pure fighter. To kick in the dungeon door and butcher my way through it. No finesse, no trickery or sneaking.
With that being said, my creation choices should be ?
Race: Redguard , just as before.
Birthsign: Warrior, for the strength and endurance
Primary Attributes: Strength and Endurance
Major Skills : Blade, Block, Heavy Armor, Armorer

The choices after these are iceing on the cake?
Even a Warrior needs to be healed, so Restoration should be a choice? Alchemy is a good choice as well to be able to make heal potion and damage poison.
The other magics need to be unlocked to make enchantments on his weapons, right?
To answer HyPNO, I feel the need to develope his Blunt skill so that if an awesome Blunt weapon drops later, he will have the skill to use it, but would having 2 major weapon skills as majors kinda mess it up a bit?
Please, more input from you experienced TES players. This is Friday and I want to play alot on this character this weekend biggrin.gif ( can you say, Hooked ? tongue.gif )

This post has been edited by boonesim: May 5 2006, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Jor-El
Redguard Warrior
+Quote Post
Foster
post May 5 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #17

Finder
Group Icon

Bear in mind that heavy armour makes you a lot slower than Light armour, and the light stuff can be just as good on occasion. You could always major in heavy AND light armour, and give yourself some option - you can mix and match that way.

Restoration is useful, but if you're playing a warrior you're not going to have much Magicka unless you improve it, so really you're only going to be casting basic healing spells. Restoration also levels up very slowly.

--------------------
I hate the mice from Bagpuss. Never trust rodents with DIY skills.

"We will fix it, we will fix, we will stick it with glue, glue, glue, we will stickle it, every little bit of it, we will fix it like new, new new."

::SQUISH::
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 5 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(boonesim @ May 5 2006, 04:21 PM)
To answer HyPNO, I feel the need to develope his Blunt skill so that if an awesome Blunt weapon drops later, he will have the skill to use it, but would having 2 major weapon skills as majors kinda mess it up a bit?

The best weapon in the game is a blade biggrin.gif
You will get it by doing a certain Dardic Shrine quest.

This post has been edited by HyPN0: May 9 2006, 09:36 PM

--------------------
- Albert Einstein

- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
boonesim
post May 9 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #19

Retainer

Brief update. Jor-El is a fun character. From Friday night to Sunday night , level 20. Blade=62 Armorer=56 Alchemy=62 Heavy Armor=72 Block=50( that was harder than I thought ) Destruction=52( thanks to the Mudcrabs and the hunt for Nirnroot) Restoration=32 (this was probably my mistake as a major skill) Illusion and Alteration both 50
Atheletics=52
100 for both Strength and Endurance.
Thank you all for your input as I think it helped me decide how to play this character.

--------------------
Jor-El
Redguard Warrior
+Quote Post
Cadaver
post May 9 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #20

Evoker

One thing I obsess about is maxing the attributes... I pick 3 skills from attributes that dont fall under my specialization. From a power char aspect, illusion rules the game, if you are max illusion and max alchemy, you will win... Alchemy can make dispel, and illusion can go invisible/ paralyze, which means even with a LOW weapon skill, you are beating on a helpless opponent, doing TONS of damage, and you are getting sneak attacks, and if you drink a restore magicka pot and go invis, you will never run out of magicka. Even Liches and Xivalai got nothing on you, invis, sneak attack, repeat...

So I might have picked Illusion instead of Restore, but that would break your character type.... make you a spellswordthief, which is outside your roleplaying concept...

The retore fortify spells can be VERY good... Especially when you can make your own... Even a "warrior" would do well to get in the good graces of the mages guild. To justify it in your character concept, "know thy enemy" eh? lol...

I think your char sounds good, though, mostly because of one thing...

You are having fun....

So good luck, happy hunting, KILL OGRES!! (there teeth are great...)

Cadaver

--------------------

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be.... (Maynard James Keenan - Judith)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:55 PM