29 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arena Adventurings and Daggerfall Dealings, A Characters Update thread
Decrepit
post Dec 18 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #541

Master
Group Icon

Daggerfall Unity is now in BETA! Here's a link to Daggerfall Workshop where it's spelled out far better than I could hope to:

(link) Daggerfall Workshop (link)

As for me, I'll wait a while, at the earliest when all installed mods requiring updates for compatibility, if any, do so.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 18 2020, 08:45 PM
Post #542

Councilor
Group Icon

That's great. Glad to hear they've managed to come this far.

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Dec 19 2020, 04:22 AM
Post #543

Mouth
Group Icon

The Daggerfall Unity team has done an amazing job. I never thought I'd play Daggerfall again. I truly regret the loss of my Prima's Daggerfall Unauthorized Strategy Guide.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Sep 9 2021, 02:03 PM
Post #544

Mouth
Group Icon

I've just DL'd Daggerfall and Arena to my laptop, so I'm pretty stoked about getting going in them... smile.gif

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 9 2021, 04:06 PM
Post #545

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Sep 9 2021, 08:03 AM) *

I've just DL'd Daggerfall and Arena to my laptop, so I'm pretty stoked about getting going in them... smile.gif

Have fun with them. They are very much different from the latest games. Daggerfall's chargen is about the best charater creator in any game. IMO.

Did you DL the Daggerfall-Unity setup? It really does play as wll as it looks.

This post has been edited by macole: Sep 9 2021, 04:13 PM

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Sep 10 2021, 01:35 PM
Post #546

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Sep 9 2021, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(PhonAntiPhon @ Sep 9 2021, 08:03 AM) *

Have fun with them. They are very much different from the latest games. Daggerfall's chargen is about the best charater creator in any game. IMO.

Did you DL the Daggerfall-Unity setup? It really does play as wll as it looks.

I've read about the unity one but no I stuck with vanilla for the time being. I might try it later.
They remind hugely of Ultima Underworld - (which isn't at all surprising I guess but...)

I'm enjoying them - they are properly old school in every single way.

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post May 4 2022, 02:14 AM
Post #547

Master
Group Icon

As I occasionally do, earlier this evening I decided to search through my published YouTube videos for an episode to watch. Scrolling my list of individual videos in Studio, I was amazed to see that my three Daggerfall Unity vids have gotten a LOT of views! Episode 2 has over 600! It's a short showcase of what were, at the time, state-of-the-art modded DFU visuals. I'll link it (again) for any of our newer member who might be interested

(YouTube link) Modded Daggerfall Unity - A Walk in Rain, A Glimpse of Desert (YouTube link)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 4 2022, 09:49 PM
Post #548

Councilor
Group Icon

Nice! That's really great, Decrepit. I'll give it a watch myself .. after I've gotten my Morrowind fix.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 5 2022, 12:43 AM
Post #549

Ancient
Group Icon

It is cool to see. Maybe one day I will try out DG Unity after all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 27 2022, 06:34 PM
Post #550

Councilor
Group Icon

Oops wrong thread.

This post has been edited by Renee: Jun 27 2022, 08:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 26 2022, 07:20 PM
Post #551

Master
Group Icon

Just finished my first DF session in ever so long. I'd saved near a dungeon exit, my avatar tasked by a Daggerfall City merchant to rid the place of harpies. He'd combed most of the joint when it dawned on us that he might have completed his mission prior to my departure those many earth months ago. I should have been able to find out via my handwritten DF quest log. Alas, I no longer recall where it is.

We eventually agreed that he might as well return to the City, check with the merchant, and hope for the best. Turns out, he indeed finished his primary mission during an earlier session. What we both forgot until too late is that he had also received a note from the Fighters Guild, asking him to search for a certain missing person while in the dungeon.

His efforts were well rewarded by sells of the numerous Daedric armor and weapons collected during the crawl. He found one non-Daedrec item for his home collection. After banking he traveled there, receiving quite a shock upon discovering that his attic is now totally bare! All that yummy loot gone, including some valuable one-of-a-kind quest items. I've absolutely no idea what happened. Thankfully, nothing else seems amiss. He certainly isn't hurting for money!

Big news on the Daggerfall front. GOG now offers, free of charge, an all-in-one heavily modded DF-Unity download/install! It includes, but is far from limited to, most of the mods I run.

(link) Here's the GOG modded DF-Unity page (link)

Speaking of mods, I planned to update my now somewhat outdated Unity install. Turns out, one graphics improvement mod I like a lot is currently incompatible with recent Unity versions. I'll stick with what I've got for now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Oct 26 2022, 08:08 PM
Post #552

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 26 2022, 01:20 PM) *

Big news on the Daggerfall front. GOG now offers, free of charge, an all-in-one heavily modded DF-Unity download/install! It includes, but is far from limited to, most of the mods I run.

Speaking of mods, I planned to update my now somewhat outdated Unity install. Turns out, one graphics improvement mod I like a lot is currently incompatible with recent Unity versions. I'll stick with what I've got for now.

Wow, that is big news. What is the incompatible graphics mod that you use?

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 26 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #553

Councilor
Group Icon

"Numerous Daedric weapons and armor" wow you must be good at this game. goodjob.gif

What happened to the attic though? Sounds like a glitch. indifferent.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 26 2022, 08:23 PM
Post #554

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Oct 26 2022, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 26 2022, 01:20 PM) *

Wow, that is big news. What is the incompatible graphics mod that you use?

Splat Terrain Texturing, which supplies many of the ground textures seen in my second DFU YouTube video, linked a few posts ago. I prefer it over any other DFU ground textures I'm acquainted with. Prolly not a big deal for most, but for now I don't want to be without it.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 27 2022, 01:50 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 27 2022, 01:48 AM
Post #555

Master
Group Icon

My DFU avatar has been busy. Since finishing that long-neglected Merchant quest, he has polished off four guild quests in rapid succession.

First up, the Mages Guild gave him an easy one. All he had to do was travel to another town, cast Sleep on a local resident, then return to the Daggerfall City Guild Hall for his reward. Given 17 days to accomplish this, he was there and back in no time at all.

Next up, Knights of the Dragon gave him his one lengthy assignment, kill a named orc in Castle Woodcroft. We began to worry when extensive searching turned up no orcs whatsoever, just lots of wraiths and ghost and an occasional minor vampire. Eventually, he found his mark holed away in a closet-size room far from the entrance.

The Fighters Guild sent us to the Hole of Balul to dispose of a Lich. This was another huge dungeon. In that case, following his usual practice of taking all left-hand turns, he chanced upon the target in less than 15 mins.

Temple of Kynareth sent him to a nearby town to terminate an undead haunting a local residence.

None of these gigs earned him much in the way of money or loot. That's normally not an issue. However, with his household item collection vanished without a trace, he has a lot of asset-rebuilding to do, which didn't happen this round.

I suppose I should mention that my DF avatar rarely cherry-picks guild assignments, taking whatever is first offered. He does, however, almost always turn down those that seem in any was "shady".

Other than accomplishing his various assignments, he continued his long-established practice of working spell skills prior to each travel. This netting him increases in two schools, Mysticism and Thaumaturgy.

I must say that, even after my very long absence, it's easy to get back in the DF groove. There was some awkwardness during the Merchant quest, mostly with forgotten key assignments. But already it feels as if I was away no time at all.

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Oct 27 2022, 06:08 AM
Post #556

Mouth
Group Icon

Good old Daggerfall magic. Some good advice i was once given, do not go adventuring without; Mysticism (for Open, Soul Trap and Teleport) and Thaumaturgy (for Levitate and Water Walking).

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 27 2022, 06:43 PM
Post #557

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Nice to know you're still Daggerfalling, Decrepit! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Oct 28 2022, 02:00 PM
Post #558

Master
Group Icon

Since my last report, I've watched my DFU avatar . . .

. . . Rescue a merchant's daughter. An easy one. Go to a private residence in a local town, retrieve target, return to merchant, accept reward. No fighting was involved, not always the case with these missions.

. . . Fetch mummy wrappings from Tomb of Baroghoth for a mage in the DFC Mage Guild hall. Despite this being a medium size dungeon, this took a while. After much time spent combing and recombing what we assumed was the entirety of the dungeon, my avatar spotted one door he had not opened. This exposed a new-to-us dungeon section. Our target was found within that section. Even then, he needed to levitate through a passageway ceiling hole to reach the corridor that led to a room housing the mummy.

. . . Kill a Lich in Yeomcroft's Guard for Knights of the Dragon. Another longest crawl.

. . . Rescue a lost scholar from Tower Buckinging. Being a super large dungeon, we expected a lengthy stay. Turns out, the scholar was found in around five minutes.

. . . Kill a Necro at Ashcroft Graveyard for the Fighters Guild. Another easy one. This was a true graveyard. All my avatar needed do was kill zombies and skeletons prowling the graveyard until the necro left the crypt to investigate.

My avatar has made a small start replenishing his lost attic armor / weapons/ items collection. This time he will collect only better-grade armor and weapons, enchanted items excepted.

The strangest thing happened yesterday afternoon. While in Baroghoth, my phone rang. It was a call I needed to take. (An out-of-stock chainsaw bought at Home Depot a month again finally came in.) That done, I returned to the game. Ever since then, I've stunk at Daggerfall's mouse-movement combat. There's no explaining it. Yes, DFU lets us switch to "modern" mouse-click combat. But I've always far preferred DF's original swing-base weapon combat. And always been good at it. Until that phone call.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 28 2022, 04:37 PM
Post #559

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Oct 26 2022, 07:20 PM) *

I might actually give it a go! biggrin.gif I was going to try Unity anyway.

On that note, there's now also Daggerblivion! wacko.gif The zombies are certainly taking over... Although Daggerblivion is still in alpha and apparently far from complete. I would go with Unity for now.

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 28 2022, 05:26 PM
Post #560

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Oh my goodness; Daggerblivion? blink.gif

As crazy as it sounds (although not at the same time) I think it's a really cool idea! Can we expect Arenablivion too? tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:56 AM