Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you do?, Roleplaying / Gaming dilemmas
Renee
post Jan 7 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I am going to start a thread called "What would you do?" And this thread will be for those uncertain moments when we're gaming, and come to some sort of crossroads. All the sudden, we cannot make a firm decision, so we phish out for others' opinions.

Since I am the one starting this thread, I will open up with my own roleplaying / gaming dilemma. And this one has some *SPOILERS* in it, so if you're playing Skyrim and doing the Thieves Guild questline... ya know.

So Bjorn Tubewyyld is in Markath, and the quest that he's doing involves going into Calcelmo's Dwemer Museum, where Bjorn is supposed to "borrow" some sort of research notes that Calcelmo wrote up. Before going into the museum, just by chance there had been one of those vampire attacks the night before. Bjorn needed some armor before going into the Museum, and he was on his way to the smithy so he could make some.

But there was a dead guard on the ground, along with a couple of fallen vampires. Bjorn saw his opportunity, and snagged up the guard's suit and helmet, which was super-convenient, because now he doesn't have to spend hours crafting up his own gear.

When Bjorn gets into the Museum, he is dressed as a guard, and just by coincidence, the place is crawling with guards. So I begin to RP the other guards see Bjorn, and don't know there's an imposter in their midst. At first this works fine, because the initial guards he encountered did not try to attack or arrest him for trespassing. But the deeper we go into the place (in different cells) now there are guards who choose to attack.

So the dilemma: on Xbox, I wouldn't have any choice. I'd just make up some reason why they're all attacking him. But on PC, I actually have the power to make these guys not attack Bjorn. Maybe I can put Bjorn into the guard faction (if there is one), maybe I can setcellownership to him, so that he wouldn't be trespassing. viking.gif

And this second option makes for a stronger roleplay in a sense. Even though there's no action if I do it this way, the story makes more sense if he just walks in and walks out, finds the notes, and all the other guards are clueless.

What would you do?

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 7 2017, 10:42 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 7 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I would make guards friendly to him with the console. They can't possibly know who's beneath the mask because all masks look the same. It'd make for an interesting roleplay.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 7 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

I would make the guards friendly to him with the console as well. In Fallout New Vegas wearing faction armor like that actually does put you in the appropriate faction, which is pretty neat.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 7 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay, very good. So two votes for go with the idea (although we're not officially voting). Thanks for your inputs. Anybody else?

I guess maybe since I've been in the habit of doing official quests as-they-are for so long, I get the feeling that I did the quest as it was meant to be done, and did not "cheat" at it. But honestly, it feels sort of dumb that Bjorn is (all the sudden) going through this huge worldspace, suddenly conquering every guard he sees. Like he's now on some sort of huge, mass-killing rage. Even though he is big and has the potential to be violent, it just doesn't feel right for him to be mass-pwning all these guards, especially since my initial idea during this part was that he'd merely be trying to blend in.

Well very good. I think I'll go with the console then. The only tricky part: there might be some final boss who shows up, and is scripted to give some sort of grandstanding speech before attacking my Bjorn. indifferent.gif This would be awkward if the guy says "NOW IT'S YOUR DEATH!", then merely stands there a moment later talking about "we've gotta do something about these vampire attacks." laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 7 2017, 10:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:17 PM