Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In service of a fallen god., Yup, I don't know how to quit.
The Metal Mallet
post Aug 20 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #21

Master
Group Icon

Excellent update Jack. Nice one liners as usual to provide beautiful moments of humor.

I wonder if this village is going to be like Oblivion tongue.gif

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Avego
post Aug 21 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #22

Associate

Nice story, gonna do some reading of the original Luper now!

Update soon please! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
minque
post Aug 21 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #23

Wise Woman
Group Icon

yes indeed! excellent writing!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 27 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Gah, I hate real life. Gotta go.

At first glance, the village wasn’t too bad. A few wooden huts and shacks, one larger building in the Imperial style and all that spread around on an open and dry spot in the march, an empty stone platform on one side and what looked like a path leading off towards the trees. Luper walked into one of the small huts and came out with a fishing pole.
,,Alright, I’m off fishing. Make yourself comfortable here.” He told his companions. He then raised his voice and shouted at the top of his lungs.
,,Miss M, I’m back! I brought a cute guy with me, come check him out!”
He winked at Morvayn.
,,As I said, make yourself comfortable.”

The Dunmer and the Nord watched the Redguard go.
,,I don’t know about you sir Dres, but I’m going to take a walk.” Morvayn nodded and Jarik walked away.

,,So you’re the cute guy? Did he forgot about the creep he brought with him last time?”
Morvayn turned around to see who had spoken, keeping his hand near the hilt of his sword. He found himself looking at a young Dunmer wearing an elegant dress. A large amulet in the colour of wet blood hung around her neck. Morvayn bowed.
,,My name is Morvayn Dres, lady. I am here on an important quest for my lord.”

The way the woman looked at him made him feel uneasy.
,,Call me Jana. Well, you are kind of cute. Maybe Luper is finally learning about good taste, though that sounds rather impossible to me. Would you like to stay at my place?”
Morvayn thought about the offer. She seemed decent enough, not like the Redguard.
,,Very well, it would be my pleasure.”
The woman smiled and led him over the path leading into the trees. A short distance beyond the first row of trees, Jana’s home rose up into the sky. Morvayn looked at it while the uneasiness came back.
,,Are you a Telvanni?” He asked warily.

The woman laughed.
,,No, but I do know a few Telvanni. I managed to import one of their homes. It is very easy to redecorate when you want to change things. You just apply some Magicka at the right place and the whole mushroom grows itself.”
The entrance was bathed in the soft glow of two large crystals. Morvayn stopped. He remembered an important design feature of Telvanni towers.
,,I can’t levitate.” He explained.

Jana said nothing and led him to the central shaft where she pointed upwards.
,,Levitating is rather tiresome so I had a revolutionary invention installed. Stairs!” She told him with a big grin that reminded the Dunmer of Luper. He smiled and felt a bit like a fool.
,,I believe that makes things easier.”

They ascended to the top floor where Jana poured Flin in two cups. Sitting on the balcony, they had a spectacular view of the surrounding area. Luper was fishing at a nearby lake filled with surprisingly clear water. Jarik was walking north of town, near an extremely swampy area.
,,So, what is your quest?”
Morvayn looked at his cup.
,,I’m on a quest for Lord Vivec. You are familiar with the Tribunal?” He asked in return.

The woman nodded.
,,I am, though not that much. So you’re an Ordinator? I never managed to guess who or what was behind those masks.”
Morvayn chuckled.
,,Behind the mask, we’re just normal Dunmer blessed by the Tribunal. Anyway, I’m asked to recover a specific artefact from a Daedric shrine in the Black Marsh. A shrine dedicated to all of the Daedra. Speaking of which, do you perhaps know of a guide who can lead me there?”

Jana frowned and shook her head after a few moments.
,,Everyone has heard of the shrine but no one who wants to live goes there. Sorry, but the only person who is stupid enough to go there and expect it to be nothing but a fun adventure would be Luper. Then again, with him the greatest threat becomes not running away into the swamp out of frustration. He can be really annoying sometimes.”
Morvayn sighed. It looked like he was stuck with the Redguard. He looked at the surrounding swamp again.
,,Hey, where did Jarik go?”

Jana looked at the man Luper had brought. He was cute, but a bit too young for her taste.
,,Yeah, but everyone is too young for me.”
,,Who’s Jarik?” She asked, hiding her frustration.
Morvayn pointed at the swampy part to the north.
,,A Nord I’m travelling with. He was over there just a moment ago.” He said and watched the effect of his comment with interest.

,,Really? Why don’t you stay here and rest? I think I’m going for a small stroll through town.” Jana muttered absent-mindedly.
Morvayn stood up, with his hand on his sword again.
,,Alright, what are you hiding? What is over there that it is so important you freak out when a Nord vanishes nearby?” He asked.

Jana could kill herself. Whatever hope for a somewhat long-term relation she might have had, she just blew the opportunity.
,,Not everything here is what it seems.”
Before Morvayn could blink, he was lying on his back with a broken wrist and his sword was in the woman’s hands. She looked like she knew exactly what she was doing.
,,How did you just do that?” He spat, cursing his inability to cast any effective spells for combat. Jana looked down on him with sad eyes.
,,As I said, not everything is what it seems. I’m for example a vampire and quite a bit older than I look. Now be a good boy and stay here while I drag that Nord out of a place he isn’t supposed to be in.”

The vampire began to walk away. Morvayn raised himself with his good hand.
,,What’s so dangerous there? Do you keep an undead army or something?”
Jana turned around.
,,No, but if that Nord is a bit of a treasurehunter, he just entered paradise. The only downside is that the place is the home of a very old man and when he comes back…….Well, you don’t want to steal from someone who can easily blow up Red Mountain when he gets angry.” She said and shrugged. The next moment, the woman was gone.

Morvayn stood still for a moment to consider his options. It was his duty to kill any unholy beings, including vampires. However, she’d spared his life and gave him a chance to tell others of her existence, despite knowing that he was in service of a mighty god. And then there was the hospitality he’d enjoyed, though only for a short time. He shook his head and descended the tower. He’d think over his problem later. Right now, he had to bring a Nord back. He needed an expert at Daedric shrines and he couldn’t afford the possibility of a heavily injured, or vampirized, Jarik.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Aug 27 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #25

Master
Group Icon

Yay! More cameos! Hopefully Jarik doesn't get Aureus mad, that's not a good thing indeed.

I wonder if we're going to meet any other familiar faces...

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 31 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

I think my cameos are getting a bit overdone. So this is the last cameo for a while. Rest assured, the mighty power of cameos shall be unleashed when the hour is darkest. (I don't know when that could be but, oh well.)

*mysterious voice*:,,Cameos, no mortal or Daedra can comprehend the power that hides within this concept. The power to bring characters from other places, other times and other stories can not be measured."

Alright, cut the dramatic music please. Let's just get this update going.

He carefully examined his wrist during the short walk to the north of town. The wrist was broken, but nothing too serious. Given time and rest, it would heal just fine as long as he didn’t used the hand. Coming closer to the extremely swampy area, he slowed down and looked around warily. It seemed that Jana had disappeared just as suddenly as Jarik.
,,Now where could they…Ow!”

He jumped back and rubbed his nose. He’d walked straight into a wall. He hadn’t seen it till he actually collided with it. Right now, the wall had vanished again. He carefully stepped forward and saw how the wall reappeared in front of his eyes. The wall turned out to be part of a tall tower rising up into the air.
,,Illusion. Not exactly a cheap spell either. Now who could place a large tower here and then actually hide it?”
To his right, he saw an arch. Morvayn approached it and looked at the symbol carved into the arch before opening the door. It was the sun rising over a tree accompanied by strange runes.

The hall he appeared in was a mess. Furniture was strewn all over the place, paintings were ripped apart and lying on the ground. Morvayn knelt down and picked up a small diamond lying on the floor. He held it in front of his face and admired the sparkle.
,,Treasure hunter indeed. He ransacked the whole place before moving on.”
The Dunmer lifted a torch off the wall. He didn’t need the light, but it would be useful as a weapon, considering the likeliness of vampires. Where there was one vampire, there were more. Still, the piece of wood failed to boost his confidence. Driving a wooden stake into a vampire’s heart might be a reliable method to kill one, but the torch was rather blunt and he had never been good at fighting with one hand while using a piece of wood.

Following Jarik proved to be easy at first. All he had to do was follow the trail of destruction the Nord had left behind. Soon though, the visible clues ended. Morvayn walked around for minutes without seeing a single soul. On the outside, the tower didn’t look that big but on the inside, it was huge and he was soon absolutely lost. He noticed an open door and went in to see a Dunmer with a book. Next to the Dunmer sat a zombie, also known as a Bonewalker. The Dunmer looked up and waved the newcomer over with his hand.
,,Good day to you. I believe we haven’t met yet. I’m Athus Mirhtri. I take care of this tower till its owner comes back.” He said with a friendly smile.

Morvayn didn’t return the greeting. He noticed the amulet that hung around the man’s neck, exactly the same one Jana wore.
,,Are you a vampire?” He asked warily, his eyes darting across the seemingly endless chamber filled with books as far as he could see.
The Dunmer continued smiling.
,,I see. You must have met my daughter. Rest assured, there are only three members of our clan. There used to be more, but a friend of mine wasn’t happy when I was infected and wiped out the clan till the last vampire, if you don’t count my family. Don’t worry, I haven’t drank blood for generations. I prefer a good Flin.”

The corners of Morvayn’s mouth twitched up a bit. Just a small clan. Whatever his decision would be regarding these vampires, a small group of Ordinators should be able to do the job.
,,You said you took care of this place till the owner came back. Would you like to tell me more about him?” He inquired as he sat down in one of the comfortable chairs. The zombie had completely forgotten about him and was reading a book. A book for young children.

Athus nodded. A small fireball flew from his outstretched hand and lighted a nearby candle.
,,I will, just so you reconsider the plans you are probably making. Aureus Lucis is a vampire. The oldest of the Silver Eye clan. He is the one who built this place, the one who wrote nearly half of the books you see here and the one who has saved this world countless times. He is a Wanderer and right now he is probably visiting some old friends who don’t live here in Tamriel or even Nirn. Now to make you leave us alone, I’ll give you a warning. Aureus is more powerful than any of us can even imagine. More powerful than Vivec, more powerful than any mortal. The only beings I know who might be able to match his power would be the Daedra. If you send an army to destroy our village, you will be defeated.” There was no humor in the man’s voice.
,,Now if you are looking for your Nord friend, Jana locked him up in the kitchen. He’s cleaning ingredients for tonights meal.” He continued in a lighter tone.

For Morvayn it was clear that the conversation had ended. He rose up from his seat and left. This time, he noticed signs hanging on the walls. After a short examination, he found out which one would lead him to the kitchen.
,,I don’t know how much of your story is the truth, vampire. I suppose I shall give you the advantage of my own doubts. Since you don’t seem to be a threat to the outside world, you may live.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Aug 31 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

That cameo was definitely used well, jacky boy. Things are becoming more interesting as we speak.

I imagine that meeting Jarik again will be comical.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 2 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Comical enough like this? smile.gif

,,You call that food?!” Even if the smell hadn’t told him he had found the kitchen, the voice did. Morvayn couldn’t help but be amused at the whole situation. Jarik was clearly unhappy. His face also bore the distinct markings of several slaps. Still, he defended himself with stubborn pride.
,,I eat this whenever I am away from civilization! It is food, very nutritious!” He barked back at his captor. The sound of a hand slapping across his cheek echoed through the room. Jarik brought up a hand and touched the stricken area.
,,You bwoke my cweekbwone, stuwpid Elb.” He mumbled angrily.
,,Well that’s your own fault. For as long as I’m here, this place is part of civilization so you dare to talk to me like that! I want food that tastes good, not this rotten Cliffracer dung!”

Morvayn didn’t know what the Nord was going through, but he could imagine. It wasn’t often that someone could casually break the bones of someone almost twice as big with nothing but a simple slap across the face. It was very embarrassing, not to mention that Jarik’s pride would suffer from it for a long time. The Dunmer stepped into the kitchen and cleared his throat.
,,Excuse me for intruding. I understand that you are not pleased with the actions of my companion but I would be grateful if you are a bit more careful with him. I kind of need him to be in a not so injured state for my mission.” He said with a cool and forced tone.

Jana looked away from her victim.
,,I thought I told you to stay where you were. I know you Ordinators love to say the word scum but that doesn’t mean you have to act like scum.” She complained.
,,Now if you know what’s good for you, you will leave and let me handle this. Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle to the big hormonefreak here.” She continued, calming down a little.
,,Now if you can’t even do something as simple as that, grab a towel and start cleaning the floor!” Morvayn heard barely after he’d stepped through the door.
,,Phew, I can’t believe everyone thinks that the most frightening thing about vampires are their teeth and the risk of becoming one. The last thing I’m scared off would be her teeth. Her anger, now that’s scary.” He thought to himself.

Apart from the trauma, the physical damage he received in the village turned out to be no big deal in the end. He’d just arrived back at the Telvanni tower when an Argonian came to him and handed over a potion. He sniffed it cautiously, who knew what those lizards would put in their potions. A careful taste of a single drop made him conclude that he was dealing with a harmless healing potion. He swallowed the liquid and winced as his bones grew back together.
,,Now I know why most healers add painkillers to their healing potions. Accelerated healing hurts as much as being stepped on by a Kagouti.”

He noticed later that he’d fallen asleep. He instantly realized that the healing potion also caused him to fall asleep. Why, he could only guess.
,,Back up again? Good Daedra, I don’t understand how you people ever managed to beat the Dwemer and make a bunch of gods when you sleep half of your life away.”
Morvayn rolled his eyes behind his closed eyelids. Being woken up by the Redguard was definitely not on his list of favourite moments of the day.
,,I’m sorry, it appears that someone here has slipped up during his alchemy. That healing potion knocked me out.” He grunted as he opened his eyes.

Luper grinned and shrugged.
,,Hey, it wasn’t me. Ever since I figured out that the only potions I make are the ones that make you sick and have you vomit throughout the day, I kept clear of the mortars and pestles.” He joked.
Morvayn thought of snapping something back but changed his mind. Luper had changed.

Not in his looks or his personality. His attire was different. The weathered clothes he wore were the same, except they now clearly covered a suit of armour. The iron sword was gone. Now, there was Daedric longsword to take its place as well as a large Claymore on his back. Two gauntlets of Dwemer steel covered his hands. The air around the man seemed to be buzzing with the power of enchantments.

,,Where did you get all that? Stolen from the invisible tower?” He asked out of curiosity.
,,No, this is mine. All honestly looted out of caves, tombs, ruins and other places. I left it behind when I travelled to Sentinel. It would be such a shame if something got stolen. Then I’d have to chase the thief, whack him on the head and give some stupid speech about why it is not smart to steal from someone like me.” The answer was a typical one that only someone like Luper would give.

Morvayn stood up and took in his surroundings. He was no longer in the village. The view that graced him was that of the Black Marsh. Jarik was sleeping on a tree root nearby. His face still bore the souvenirs from his encounter with Jana.
,,Thinking about that, just why do you live with vampires?”
Luper didn’t answer immediately. He then frowned with a strangely serious expression.
,,No good reason really. I met her a few years ago when I was still young and only half the swordswinger I am now. She insisted on running off into trouble so I started giving her sword lessons so I wouldn’t have to watch her back all the time. After she no longer ran into trouble, we learned of some more trouble that hadn’t revealed itself yet. I continued the lessons when I wasn’t beating up trouble all over the place and well, I never got around to leaving.”

His expression turned back to the normal arrogant one.
,,Oh yeah, I had to give you a message. Jana is really sorry that your visit was so rudely interrupted by the greedy Nord over there. She also says that you are quite attractive and she would really like it if you pay her a visit again sometime.” He said, grinning as usual.
,,Can I trust your words? This sounds a lot like one of your jokes again.” Morvayn responded in a sour tone.
,,Well, I admit that she didn’t say the attractive bit and the part about coming back. But I know her better than you do. I can tell you, you’ve got a good chance with the girl. So trust me.” Luper told him and winked.
,,Besides, after all those years, she’s turned into one of the three people I know who can beat me in a fight. I wouldn’t dare to lie……too much.” He added.

,,Now come on, the ruin is a good days march from here. Hey, you big blond bodybuilder who pumped up his muscles with Netch gas. Get up, we’re leaving.” It wasn’t long before the two men were flinging insults back and forth again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 3 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Hehehe comical indeed, Jack, good work!

I wonder if that claymore has a name. Maybe it starts with a 'C' as well... tongue.gif

Oooo, looks like we're going to see the ruins soon. Can't wait!

--------------------

+Quote Post
minque
post Sep 3 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #30

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yay....heh a bunch of updates .....nice Jack! I´m reading it with pleasure......very good work I´d say!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 9 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #31

Master
Group Icon

*yawn* Sorry, but I'm really in need of a soft pillow to rest my head on right now. Anyway, enjoy. You learn something more about our three heroes.

The shrine was a marvellous sight. Daedric walls rose up towards the clouds. Everything was built on a grand scale. Even the gate they stood in front of right now was as big as an Imperial fort.
,,They sure do like to build big, don’t they?” Luper commented with the usual mocking tone.
Morvayn decided to ignore the Redguard and instead focussed on Jarik.
,,You are the expert. How do we open this huge gate?”

The Nord inspected the gate closely.
,,There are three symbols near the top and three dome-shaped buildings. I’d say that there is a switch or something in each. Activating all three should open it.” He explained, still with his eyes moving over the gate. Morvayn decided quickly.
,,We’ll each take one of the domes.”

The Dunmer wandered into the first of the domes. He was greeted by a Golden Saint standing in front of a small platform, underneath a statue of Sheogorath.
,,Greetings, traveller. You have come to this place. Now answer my question or be struck with Sheogorath’s madness. Who do you serve?” The Daedra said with a chilly voice.

Morvayn drew his saber, pointing the ebony blade at the creature.
,,I serve Vivec, the great Tribunal god. Step aside, spawn of Oblivion or meet your end.”
The Saint looked at him without showing any sign of emotion.
,,Vivec, your god is nothing but a pawn of Sheogorath’s madness. To open the gate, you must step on the platform behind me. To pass, you must strike me down first. Are you willing to die for a false god?”

Morvayn was seething with anger.
,,Do not insult lord Vivec for when you do, you insult me!” He shouted and leapt forward. He made a twirling slash at the Daedra’s chest. The Saint summoned a spear and blocked the blow. Morvayn felt the shock of the impact vibrate through his arm. Still, he pressed on and gripped the spear’s shaft with his free hand. Holding the deadly weapon back with his hand, he brought his sword down and stabbed the Golden Saint in the thigh. He then stepped back.

The Daedra showed no signs of pain when the sword drained its essence and fuelled the Dunmer with it.
,,You have skill, follower of the false god. The Daedra appreciate the tricks of mortals. Still, you are caught in a web you cannot comprehend.” The creature’s voice echoed through the chamber.
,,I hope you appreciate your death, cursed minion of Sheogorath!” Morvayn lunged forward, magically accelerated by the power of his sword. He slashed the Golden Saint three times before passing it and stepping on the platform. He heard a rumble and the Daedric stone sank into the floor. Turning around, he watched how the Golden Saint vanished in a shower of sparks.
,,That is the first switch. No one can resist the glory of Vivec and his blessed servants.”

Jarik wandered into one of the domes. He was greeted by a statue of Mehrunes Dagon and a Dremora. The Nord kneeled down.
,,I greet you, great Daedra. I am Jarik Snowbeard, your humble servant. I wish to enter the shrine and gift our lord with what has been denied to him throughout the eras.” He whispered, knowing that the Dremora would hear it.

The armoured creature pointed the tip of its Claymore towards the floor.
,,You have come to serve our master. Yes, Mehrunes Dagon has informed us. Know this, you shall be allowed to pass the first trial, this trial. However, all the other trials shall need to be passed on your own strength and that of your companions. The inner chamber is denied to all of the Daedra so we cannot claim that which is rightfully ours by ourselves.” It shouted through the chamber with a thundering voice.
,,I thank you, Dremora. I shall not fail our master. Once again, the Daedra shall walk the face of Tamriel unbound by mortal men.” Jarik whispered. Upon hearing this, the Dremora walked closer.
,,Heed my warning. The inner chamber was sealed away from us by a mortal man. What you would call an Imperial, a vampire. He is still alive and though he has left this plane, watch out for that which he has left behind for it shall call him back. You must deliver your gift to our master before the Imperial returns for he holds power not even we, immortal servants of the great Daedra lord, can fully understand.”
Jarik nodded, thanked the Dremora and activated the switch.

Luper entered the last dome. He was greeted by a statue of Azura. A Winged Twilight descended from the ceiling.
,,Luper Alkad, son of our mother. Brother. I see that you are alive and well.” It sang as it landed in front of the Redguard. Luper didn’t grin. His expression was rather pained instead.
,,I am, but it isn’t quite right though. I never asked for this.” He grumbled.
,,True, yet what is done is done. The past cannot be changed. Not even by you, Dragon-born incarnation. To pass this trial, you will have to defeat the protector of this dome. You will have to defeat me.” The Winged Twilight continued with its singing voice.

Luper shook his head. His hands didn’t move towards either of the two swords he carried.
,,You know what the outcome of a battle would be. We both know. I have grown older, more experienced. There was a time that you would have swiped me away like a leaf in the wind. Yet the past cannot be changed, not even by me or Azura herself. Time can be slowed or accelerated but not stopped or turned back.” He spoke calmly.

The Daedra nodded and stepped aside.
,,You have matured. Outwardly you continue to show the habits of your early years but inside you have become worthy of your title. I admit my defeat in the future at your hands and therefore change the future by stepping aside. Pass, my brother. Enter the shrine and do what you must do. Azura will watch over you.”
Finally, a small grin reappeared.
,,We never really liked each other. Still, thanks. Even if we don’t look anything alike, you are my sister and I wouldn’t like harming you. Even though you are effectively immortal.” He said and stepped on the platform.

Outside, the gate rumbled and split in two. The plants that had been growing on it longer than any mortal could remember burst into flame and turned into ash. The entrance into shrine was now open.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 10 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Hmm I see a pattern with Nord characters.... It seems they always have dark intentions. Poor guys are always stereotyped due to their Viking likeliness.

Of course, I'm not helping tongue.gif My Nord character is evil/bad as well! biggrin.gif

Nice to see these new little subtleties added to each of the heroes. There's still quite a few Daedra to go through, I wonder how those meetings will go?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 18 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, Nords can be evil. I first thought of an Orc but that would be cliché. Just look at LOTR. All the Elves are good and all Orcs are absolute evil. No exceptions.

Slowly, the tree of them walked through the open gate. Hands ready to draw weapons, they looked like your typical gang of rough people who knew they were unwanted yet refused to leave.
,,Keep your eyes open, who knows when another Daedra challenges us.” Morvayn commanded sharply. Luper grinned and Jarik frowned. No further words were exchanged. They stepped further into the dark halls of the shrine.

Without warning, panels in the walls slid away and a group of Clanfear poured out. Hands grabbed weapons, a single look was exchanged. Without words, they came up with a plan. The plan was simple. Hack everything that got in the way.
,,Now, charge! For Vivec!” Morvayn shouted and took the lead.

The Dunmer spun around as his blade carved through the snout of the nearest creature. Once again, the Ebony saber drained the essence of its victim and transferred it to the Ordinator. His strikes became more rapid. Morvayn tore a path through the Clanfears who moved far too slow to even touch him. He reached a massive door at the other side of the room where he turned around, ready to fight again. Jarik crashed through a few of the Reptilian monsters with brute force. Luper was a few steps after him.

,,Now I am really enjoying myself here but maybe opening the door would be a good idea?” The Redguard joked. They were now standing with their backs to the black door. The remaining Clanfears continued to assault them, without any result other than being sent back to Oblivion.
,,Cover me.” Morvayn answered. He turned towards the door and raised a hand.

,,In the name of the Tribunal, by the grace of Vivec. I command you, open! Reveal your secrets!” There was a flash of Magicka, and the lock clicked open. The Dunmer pushed against it with all his weight. Slowly, he managed to push it open far enough to pass.
,,Come on!”

Behind them, the door closed and locked once more.
,,Great Ancestors. From the frying pan into the fire.” Jarik noted with a wry grin.
,,You could take that literally.” Luper added with a raised eyebrow. This room was just as large as the first, only it was almost entirely taken up by a pit filled with boiling lava. Fire Atronachs stood in countless rows, waiting for them to cross the wooden bridge that extended across the pit.

Morvayn sat down. So far, the beasts hadn’t attacked so he would take the time he’d been given and come up with a plan. He carefully took in their surroundings.
,,Clearly, the bridge is a trap. It would burn easily from the spells those abominations wield. As a Dunmer, I can endure the flames longer than any of you yet even I would not survive such an onslaught.” He said slowly. His eyes picked up the ridges running along the walls. They were just wide enough for a single man to stand.
,,A test of observation?” He now inspected the ridges further. There was a stepping stone of sorts at each corner of the room. If he jumped from there, he should be able to grab the ridge.

,,Let’s try it out.” The Dunmer stood up and climbed onto the nearest stepping stone. He calculated the distance and jumped with all his might. His fingers grabbed the slippery rock. Gripping the stone as good as he could, he pulled himself up. Once on the ledge, he took a deep breath and sprinted to the other side of the room. The sound of fireballs slamming into the wall rang in his ears. He ignored the noise till he was safely on the other side of the room where he could jump down.

Luper came next. He needed help to get on the ledge with his heavy armour. Help that the Nord reluctantly provided. During the dash across, the enchantment of his armour proved its worth as the fireballs were harmlessly absorbed by the energies that whirled around the Redguard. Jarik came last, running fast enough to keep ahead of the fire. The door opened, granting them passage into the next room.

The place was bathed in the cold glow of a Frost Atronach. It watched the intruders silently.
,,You have passed the test of strength and the test of speed. Now take the test of the mind. Answer me!” It howled. Morvayn forced himself to sheath his blade and stepped forward.
,,Ask your questions, Daedra.”

The Atronach seized up the Dunmer before speaking.
,,You, I know who you serve and why you’re here. All of you have the exact same goal, for a different purpose. You hold the greatest threat to Tamriel within the grip of your hands. What shall you do?” It spoke without emotion. Morvayn looked down at his feet as he thought about the riddle, if it was one.
,,I would leave it in a secure place.” He answered, his voice barely more than a whisper and his hand near the hilt of his sword.

,,You have answered well. Warrior of the north, step forward. Answer me.” The Atronach commanded. It waited till the Nord had stepped in front of him before continuing.
,,You have served your master. He is grateful for what you’ve done. Yet you have paid a great price for your deeds. Your master is willing to reward you. What do you wish?” Like with Morvayn, Jarik was silent for a long time.
,,I would ask him to give me the reward I need so I can serve him even longer.”

The Atronach didn’t show either pleasure of or disappointment. He beckoned Luper to step forwards.
,,Come, master and slave of time. Neither mortal nor immortal. Answer my question!” The Atronach blew out the words. The room had noticeably become colder since the three men entered.
,,Time has cursed you yet put itself into your hands like the hilt of a sword. How will you use it?”

Unlike the others, Luper answered almost immediately. He knew himself very good so he didn’t need to think it over.
,,I would use the time I’ve been given to deal with the big things. Like beating up big old baddies who threaten my home.”

The Atronach nodded. He stepped out of the way, letting them pass.
,,Go now, claim your prize. It has been decided that we Daedra may not pass beyond this point. You, men of Tamriel can. Go, do what you must. Once again, fate shall be decided as the scrolls have written. Know one thing. The future is not fixed. Endless possibilities exist, each leading to a different future. Choose your possibility wisely.” It spoke for the last time before vanishing.

Silently, they entered the last room. Titanic statues lined a path. Each statue represented one of the Daedra. At the end of the room, their purpose for coming here revealed itself. Jarik walked among the statues in awe. Morvayn didn’t even notice them. He chose to speak to Luper.
,,Not mortal and not immortal either? What was that thing saying?” He asked, for once without a hint of annoyance in his voice. Luper shrugged.
,,That’s not something I like to tell people. I bet you can figure it out by yourself.”

Jarik smiled. Finally, his quest had come to an end. He had needed two companions to enter, only he would leave. His hand closed around the shaft of the staff.
,,Goodbye!” He shouted before disappearing in a shower of purple sparkles. He did not notice the cracked plate in the floor, or the symbol etched into it. A symbol showing the sun rising over a tree. He also didn’t know about the wave of Magicka shooting forth, creating a rip between Tamriel and somewhere far away.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 18 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

Sorry, have to do this:

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

A rift to where I wonder? This will be good. I love what you've been doing with this one Jack!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Sep 26 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Alright, it's time for the massive battle! In other words, time to call in the cameos! laugh.gif

Morvayn ran towards the door but he was too late. It had already slammed shut. ,,The honourless bandit! We’re locked in here! Now how do we get out of here?” He shouted in frustration. Luper merely grinned as he sat down near the statue of Azura.
,,Don’t worry too much. If that little symbol there is any indication, we can expect some help soon. Some help with serious firepower. Now didn’t I told you that the Nord couldn’t be trusted?” He said with his common smug grin.

,,I admit you did. However, I am right when I believe that you wanted to stop my mission yourself?” Morvayn replied. He was too frustrated at Jarik and his betrayal right now to be annoyed at the Redguard. Luper shrugged.
,,Well, looking at all the protection and the fuss that staff had, I doubt that Vivi would do anything good with it. You know that we don’t get along too well. I can’t blame him, it was me who stripped him of all his power.”
Morvayn’s hand gripped his sword. It was an instinctive reaction and he wasn’t really going to draw it.
,,You are the Nerevarine? Everyone says that Mehrunes Dagon killed him at the end of the Oblivion crisis!”

Luper laughed. ,,Now who do you think started that rumour? You may notice that the ‘witness’ in the story was a certain Repul Dakla. Why don’t you try speaking the name backwards? Did I ever mention that I hate fans, fame and all that crap?”
Morvayn gave a sour grin. ,,You faked your own dead? You’re not as crazy as you’re trying to make me believe. What did I get myself into?” He chuckled while shaking his head. Luper shrugged again.
,,As I always say, don’t bother with religion as it only makes things complicated. Now if you excuse me, I’ll run ahead. Mister bad guy wasn’t the only one who put a mark at the entrance.” The Nerevarine vanished.

Outside, Luper instantly craned his head upwards.
,,Aw man, not again. This is so boring and utterly predictable.” He complained while unsheathing his longsword.
,,I hate Oblivion gates. It’s the damn colour that hurts my eyes.” He added before turning his attention at the man standing in front of the huge gate.

,,Jarik, if I were you, I would run away right now.” Luper warned. The Nord laughed upon hearing that.
,,Why should I? You don’t scare me. How are you going to get me, or all my allies?” He shouted across the distance that separated them. Two Dremora stepped out of the gate. One took the staff that had been stolen while the other raised a Claymore and stood in front of the massive gate as a guard.

Jarik raised his axe. ,,I hate you, filthy Redguard. I am going to enjoy this.” He shouted as he charged at the Nerevarine. Luper grinned.
,,Likewise. Now I will kill you if you don’t get your ugly face out of my sight.” He spoke with the arrogant tone that never seemed to leave him. The axe and the sword clashed, the Daedric blade biting deep into the steel of the axe.
,,I won’t be defeated by you. You’re nothing but a mindless thug with a sword!” The Nord growled, his muscles bulging as he pushed his opponent back.

Luper frowned.
,,Oh, really?” He muttered to himself as he broke contact. Jarik leaped forward, only to stop in midair.
,,Luper Alkad, bigshot hero and incarnation of Akatosh who is also known as the Nerevarine. My specialties are messing with time, messing with swords, messing with Telekinesis and messing with fire. Surprised?” He grinned. With a pushing motion of his hands, he flung the Nord through the gate, after engulfing his victim in a raging fireball.
,,Now did anyone just claim that I’m nothing but a mindless thug with a sword?” Luper asked with the most innocent tone he could muster. He dropped his longsword and unsheathed the Claymore on his back.
,,As for you, oh big Dremora. I would like to pass, with violence if necessary.”

Meanwhile, Morvayn was getting rather impatient. He tried to move the door for the fifth time in two minutes, without any luck.
,,Now you seem to have gotten yourself into trouble, again.” A sarcastic voice spoke. Morvayn spun around, sword raised. He lowered it when he saw who had just criticised him.
,,Lady Mirhtri? How did you get in here?” He asked dumbfounded.

The Dunmer smiled.
,,Let’s just say that a certain old man has this big library and one of the books there was about a spell known as Passwall which well, lets me walk through walls. Surprised to see me? I came right away when the Aureus’ warning device began to light up the whole sky with a map of sorts.” She answered him and stuck out her tongue. Morvayn shook his head.
,,A map in the sky? You are some strange people. Now do you have an idea how I can get out of here?” He spoke while sheathing his sword. Jana put a hand on his shoulder.
,,Sure, I placed a mark outside. ” The two vanished in a shower of sparks.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Sep 26 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #36

Master
Group Icon

So many of our speculations are revealed, Luper IS Luper biggrin.gif. He acted too much like the "other" one to pass off as someone different. And now Oblivion Gates are arriving once more and cameos are starting to appear once more. Goodie!

I wonder if I will ever write enough fics to have cameos in my future ones? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Oct 2 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

Sorry, I just can't say goodbye to the old guy. I just love him and his sword. (Long live Chrysamere!)

Don't worry, Mallet. You'll get plenty of opportunity for cameos later. Unless you kill off all your characters. smile.gif
Now for the short update.

Outside, they instantly had to duck for a leg flying through the air. ,,Luper Alkad, can’t you look where you throw those bodyparts?!” Jana shouted angrily. Morvayn drew his blade instead and began to hack at the Dremora that were everywhere.
,,Well I can’t help it. I’m holding up a whole army, ok?” Luper complained as he drove a path of destruction through the Daedric ranks.

,,Now, the damn staff was a freaking Sigil stone! Here’s the plan…” Luper interrupted himself for a moment to knock back a magical blast with his Claymore.
,,Jana takes care of these filthy Dremora while the Ordinator goes in and destroys the bloody staff. Got that?” He ordered without expecting a reply.
,,Why me? I thought that you were the hero here? Shouldn’t you go, what with your reputation as the best swordfighter on Nirn and all?” Morvayn shouted at the man, ducking underneath a spear at the meantime. He drove his saber into the Dremora’s stomach before lunging at his next victim. Luper grinned.
,,Why I’m not going? That’s because I’m the one who will carve up that ugly four-armed Troll who just stepped through the gate.”

,,You dare insult me?!” Mehrunes Dagon roared and leaned in for a closer look. His face was a distorted mask of anger and bloodlust.
,,I remember you! Son of Aedra and Daedra! Luper Alkad, you won’t escape this time!” The giant raised four swords the size of trees. Luper flew up into the air till he was hovering in front of the Daedra.
,,Escape? I did not escape. That damn plasma-toting freak in the super armour and then little Martin got in the way. They stole my kill! I guess I can make up for it today. Let’s take a look at the vital organs of a bigshot Daedra like you. I bet they taste good after a barbeque.” He taunted.
,,Now go!” He shouted immediately afterwards. Morvayn ran towards the gate without hesitation.

,,Catch!” The Dunmer spun around. He hacked off the arm of the Dremora that wanted to catch the flying object and caught the ring with his free hand.
,,Thanks, Jana!” He slipped the ring on his finger and dove through the gate as a Daedric suit of armour formed around him.

It was his first visit to Oblivion. The red air and the ash blowing around was just the way he had imagined Red Mountain during Dagoth Ur’s reign. While there were countless Dremora invading Tamriel, the army that had amassed in front of the gate defied all imagination. He stopped his mad dash and frantically looked for an opening in the ranks. In the meantime, he was also surprised by the Daedric armour he was now wearing.
,,It’s not just bound armour. Every piece seems to be individually enchanted. The ring is apparently part of some remote recall spell. Feather, high power levitation and strength enchantments. If it wasn’t for my service to Vivec, I might actually like this. I’ll wear this armour for the battle but no longer than that.”
With this realization, he made use of the suit by rising up into the air and flying over the heads. He had to dodge the countless magical blasts flung at him but he was progressing much faster than he would have by walking.
,,Now where’s that staff? Forgive me, lord Vivec. For the good of all of Nirn, I shall destroy the staff.”

Back on Nirn, Luper was a bit frustrated. He’d learned several generations ago that being an incarnation of Akatosh also meant that he had inherited the Dragon god’s control over time. He now used that power to accelerate his own being beyond any mortal limits. Within the blink of an eye, Mehrunes Dagon was covered in countless minor cuts. These cuts were the cause of Luper’s frustration.
,,Damn regenerating, thickskinned Daedra.” He muttered as he reopened a wound that had sealed itself just a moment ago. The Daedra’s giant swords moved so slow, he could practically ignore them.

Jana was probably off best. Dremora were no challenge for her, even a few thousand Dremora. It just meant that killing them all would make her late for diner.
,,Not to mention I’m going to need a bad after this. I’m soaked in Daedric blood. Yuck.”

Morvayn finally found the staff. It was in the possession of a Dremora who was running towards an Oblivion gate as fast as his legs could carry him. The pursuing Dunmer realized he wouldn’t make it in time. That left him with just one option.
,,Please lord, guide my sword!” He shouted, brought his arm back and hurled the Ebony saber. The enchanted sword went just over the Dremora’s head. Only to bounce off against a rock and penetrate the Daedra’s helmet.

,,I’ll be taking that if you don’t mind.” Morvayn chuckled upon his landing. He retrieved both his sword and the staff. Now he just needed to destroy it. ,,Sigil stones are pure magic. So, a simple dispel should do the trick. Lucky me, one of the few spells I know.” He gathered some Magicka and watched how the staff exploded in his hands. Right away, the ground began to shake. Morvayn looked up and saw to his horror that the gate was collapsing. He’d totally forgotten to plan his escape. Now he was in trouble. He flew towards the massive structure as fast as he could, already knowing that he wouldn’t make it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 3 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Gasp! Oh no! Morvayn stuck in Oblivion! That doesn't sound good at all ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Very thrilling (and comical) battle scene. I felt like I was there, and stinking of Dremora blood...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Oct 14 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

Muhahaha! I'm back, get ready for the pain! evillol.gif Ok, I'll just give you the update and then go read everything I missed while in Greece.

Luper continued to weave his net of bloody pain around the lumbering form of Mehrunes Dagon. From his point of view, he had been fighting non-stop for several hours and even his corprus-enhanced muscles were beginning to feel the strain put on them. He couldn’t keep this up much longer. ,,Why won’t you just die?!” He shouted angrily at his foe who couldn’t hear it. Luper’s speech was just as fast as everything else. The man used one of the Daedra’s giant swords as a spring board to propel himself to his next target area. He stabbed the now dull blade of Chrysamer into Dagon’s leg where it broke off.

,,No way, this is the second time my sword broke! Oh, now I’m really mad! Stop staring at me!” Luper summoned a longsword and lunged straight up towards his enemies face. The small Daedric blade looked like a toothpick compared to the giant Luper was fighting. Unfortunately for Mehrunes Dagon, even toothpicks can hurt. Especially when they’re jammed into an eyeball.

The Daedra lord howled in agony. He dropped his swords and his hands went up slowly to clutch the gory wound that had been his eye. Already, the wound was healing and the moment of weakness would be over soon.
,,I hope you don’t mind if I borrow that lump of rust.” Luper laughed, pushing off against Dagon’s nose. He wrapped his arms tightly around the tree-like hilt of one falling sword. Using his amazing strength supported by a large dose of Telekinesis, he swung the blade around.

The blade, with a mass comparable to that of your average Imperial fort, collided with the Daedra’s neck. The skin failed to stop it and the daedric steel tore through the softer flesh and the bones underneath. It finally exited through the skin on the other side. The head rolled off the neck where it began to fall.

Luper landed on the ground and finally allowed his body to follow time at a normal rate. The falling head seemed to accelerate for his eyes and crashed into the ground, whipping up large amounts of mud. The body followed a moment later, crushing a nearby building.
,,You’re not so tough without a head. Now that’s number four to my death god list, oh yeah! Who’s next?!” Luper shouted at the corpse with a big grin on his face. He stabbed the giant sword into Mehrunes Dagon’s heart just for fun. After that, he let go of the blade and sat down on the ground, utterly exhausted.

Jana rolled her eyes. This was just like Luper, dancing around like a child with a new toy. Now that their master was defeated, the Dremora saw no need to continue fighting. They lowered their swords and all ran towards the collapsing gate. Streams of Magicka poured out of the portal, supporting the structure and stabilizing the gate.
,,Hey, what is going on?! I’m not in the mood for another fight. All I want right now is a nice warm bad. A bad filled with water, not blood!” Jana complained. When something strange happened to a Daedric object, it usually meant something bad was going to happen.

Morvayn cut through the endless ranks of Dremora that blocked his path. His muscles were burning with exhaustion and blood flowed from several wounds. His armour was cracked and mostly missing. A Daedric club smashed into his leg, sending the Dunmer down to the floor. He could just give up and die right now, yet that was something he’d sworn he’d never do.
,,Go to Oblivion.” He whispered. He raised his sword one more time, hacking at his foe through a haze of pain.

The sword was pulled out of his hand. He felt how a Daedric boot pushed down on his back.
,,We are already there, mortal. Don’t worry, your death shall be painless. Your strength has pleased us and we salute you. Now close your eyes, your suffering shall end soon.” The voice of a Dremora echoed in his ears. There was a sound of rushing wind and the boot disappeared.
Something gripped his shoulder, something soft and unprotected. Morvayn felt nothing more as he succumbed to darkness.

The streams of Magicka fled as the last Dremora stepped through the portal. Now, the gate crumbled to dust. The only sign of its existence was a blackened patch of ground. Jana stared at it silently without noticing the tears streaming down her face.
,,Damn it, why do they always die?” She asked herself, already knowing the answer. Her friends always died, some faster than others. That was the curse of being immortal.

Luper stood behind her. He had no words that could comfort the woman who was the closest thing to a sister he’d ever had.
,,I’m sorry. I should have been the one who went through that gate. But no, I had to be the tough guy and fight Mehrunes Dagon. Kagouti Breath! I could have prevented this all from happening by killing the damn Cultist before we even got here!” He shook his head. Living with mistakes for eternity was another thing an immortal was cursed with.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Oct 14 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Take that Mehrunes! That feat that Luper did was crazy! I bet it would've looked hilarous if we could've actually seen it. A little guy carrying a gigantic sword. Good stuff!

This ending is looking to be bittersweet, hopefully Morvayn is actually ok...

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:19 AM