Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Province Do You Want TES VI to be in?, Pick one
Which Province Do You Want TES VI to be in?
Which Province Do You Want TES VI to be in?
Black Marsh [ 1 ] ** [9.09%]
Elsweyr [ 2 ] ** [18.18%]
Cyrodiil [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Morrowind/Vvardenfell [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Valenwood [ 3 ] ** [27.27%]
Hammer fell [ 2 ] ** [18.18%]
High Rock [ 1 ] ** [9.09%]
Skyrim [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Summerset Isle [ 2 ] ** [18.18%]
Total Votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
King Of Beasts
post Jan 15 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

Chose one and discuss it.

Anyway.....

I think it would be pretty cool if TES VI was set in Black Marsh or Elsweyr. Both places seem awesom and somewhat mysterious....though I'd prefer black marsh.

This post has been edited by King Of Beasts: Jan 15 2013, 12:32 AM

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 15 2013, 12:33 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

LOL you stole my idea!

shaaaaaame. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Jan 15 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Jan 14 2013, 03:33 PM) *

LOL you stole my idea!

shaaaaaame. tongue.gif

Sorry sad.gif People were getting really off-topic in my stormcloak or imperial thread though blink.gif

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2013, 12:43 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Summerset for me. Although I am afraid that Bethesda would not do it justice as an exotic land of crystal cities, ancient structures that appear to made of strangler vines built atop older ones of coral. They seem to want to make their games as mainstream as possible to get as much money as possible, and unusual architecture or cultures do not fit with that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 15 2013, 12:45 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 14 2013, 05:43 PM) *

Summerset for me. Although I am afraid that Bethesda would not do it justice as an exotic land of crystal cities, ancient structures that appear to made of strangler vines built atop older ones of coral. They seem to want to make their games as mainstream as possible to get as much money as possible, and unusual architecture or cultures do not fit with that.

But it would draw in long-time players, even newer players like me, if they made it so. They have a great fanbase as far as I can tell, and lots of people are dedicated. But loyalty doesn't always mean something in business. -grumbles about ME3 ending-

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 15 2013, 12:49 AM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

It's spelled "Hammerfell"

And I choose Hammerfell or Elsweyr. Turbans, decorated carpets, sand, palaces, concubines, snake-charmers, belly-dancers and oasis? YES PLEASE!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jan 15 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Jan 15 2013, 12:45 AM) *

But it would draw in long-time players, even newer players like me, if they made it so. They have a great fanbase as far as I can tell, and lots of people are dedicated. But loyalty doesn't always mean something in business. -grumbles about ME3 ending-

Bethe$da doesn't give a damn. Each game is being dumbed down in the amount of quality.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2013, 01:38 AM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Jan 14 2013, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 14 2013, 05:43 PM) *

Old time players only make up a small fraction of the ES fanbase. So if appealing to the minority of old players means alienating the horde of new players, Beth goes with the horde. Gaming is a business, and that is how all businesses are run.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 15 2013, 01:41 AM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

I guess in comparison to most long-running games, TES doesn't have as much as a following as I thought.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Jan 15 2013, 02:47 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

- Black Marsh would be cool, but given the fact that Bethesda has made a point throughout the series of accentuating the mystery of the place setting a game there would be akin to Chaplin making the Tramp speak. It would ruin the mystery.

- Elsweyr isnt viable for the simple reason that it forces Bethesda to create several new subsets of Khajiit as playable. You would have to give players the option of playing as a Cathay or Suthay or Senche. Otherwise, whats the point?

- I heard somewhere that Xenimax has a trademark on the name Redguard that they have already renewed more than once. Since their last trademark names (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn) resulted in DLC it is logical to assume that Hammerfell will be visited as DLC for Skyrim, which makes a stand-alone game redundant.

- I stand with Rosa on the Summerset Isles/Alinor. I hope they leave it alone unless they decide to really go for it like they did with Morrowind.

- Valenwood is my personal pick for two reasons: First the idea of getting vertical in an Elder Scrolls game again! Valenwood would give Bethesda an excuse to explore a climbing mechanic similar to what Assassins Creed gives us. You couldnt create a land of such extraordinary trees and then not give us the ability to climb them! Which brings me to my second reason . . . once I reach the upper terraces of said trees I want to look down and see those stuck on the ground devoured in the fury of the Wild Hunt!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 15 2013, 03:30 AM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Jan 14 2013, 07:41 PM) *

I guess in comparison to most long-running games, TES doesn't have as much as a following as I thought.

The early TES games were not really big sellers. They were not a top tier gaming company back then, but rather a plucky new kid on the block noted for doing what no one else would: making huge open sandbox games where the world itself was the main focus, rather than just being the scenery you looked at as you went down the linear path the game's plot forced you upon. Morrowind was their first big success, and it got them a lot of real attention because of how it broke from the generic Western Europe Medieval style setting that so predominates Western RPGs. Before then they were actually on shaky ground. That is why they released little miniature games like Redguard and Battlespire between Daggerfall and Morrowind.

But while Morrowind got them noticed, it was Oblivion that made them a top level game company. It made tons more money than Morrowind. But the interesting thing is, they did not try to repeat making an exotic, alien landscape again. While it got them critical acclaim and a small legion of zealous fanboys, Morrowind also turned off a lot of potential gamers as well. For every person I have seen praise Morrowind for being more momentous than the creation of the Universe, I have also seen another say that it was just too weird for them to handle.

I think Bethesda was paying a lot of attention to that crowd, because Oblivion went back to the old formula of the "standard" 13th Western Europe with magic setting that the games before Morrowind had. And let's face it, that brought a lot more people in. They tried to flirt with exoticness once more with the Shivering Isles expansion. But while it garnered a lot of praise from some people, once again it completely alienated others.

Their follow ups have been Fallout 3, which is your standard post-apocalyptic setting that everyone in the world knows by heart. Then Skyrim, which is your basic fantasy world that everyone knows by heart. They did at least remove some of the genericness by putting some emphasis on a pseudo Norse setting. But it is still close enough to what people expect that no one was weirded out. Vikings, dragons, etc... are not going to surprise anyone after all.

I believe that Shivering Isles is the last time that Bethesda will try to experiment with an unusual setting. For the past decade or so every game they have made that was easily accessible to a mass audience has made them more and more money. Skyrim's sales have been phenomenal, to the point where it became a pop culture reference, something Morrowind and Oblivion never achieved. Sky brought in a huge crowd of people who had never played an ES game before. I am sure Todd Howard's toilets are now all made from solid gold. Probably his underwear too. Given how much money they have made from making the games more accessible, I cannot imagine they would risk that to make something wild and edgy once more. I am not saying that to bust their chops either. Video games are a business, same as any other. A business has to make money, or it dies. So of course they are going to do whatever they can to be as profitable as they can.

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Jan 14 2013, 08:47 PM) *

- I heard somewhere that Xenimax has a trademark on the name Redguard that they have already renewed more than once. Since their last trademark names (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn) resulted in DLC it is logical to assume that Hammerfell will be visited as DLC for Skyrim, which makes a stand-alone game redundant.

- I stand with Rosa on the Summerset Isles/Alinor. I hope they leave it alone unless they decide to really go for it like they did with Morrowind.

- Valenwood is my personal pick for two reasons: First the idea of getting vertical in an Elder Scrolls game again! Valenwood would give Bethesda an excuse to explore a climbing mechanic similar to what Assassins Creed gives us. You couldnt create a land of such extraordinary trees and then not give us the ability to climb them! Which brings me to my second reason . . . once I reach the upper terraces of said trees I want to look down and see those stuck on the ground devoured in the fury of the Wild Hunt!

Nice to have you back Destri! Hope you have been well during your interregnum from Chorrol... wink.gif

Bethesda/Xenimax has been renewing the trademark on Redguard for a while now. They have to or else they will lose the rights to it. So it could mean they are going to make a Redguard dlc for Skyim. Or it could just be that they want to make sure they keep the legal rights in case they want to make a future Hammerfell game, even years from now. Only time will really tell.

Valenwood stands a good chance for another reason. It is basically a big forest. Not hard to make, and something easily accessible to the general public. No one is going to be shocked by a fantasy setting that mostly consists of trees. Hammerfell I think is a likely one because as far as the general public is concerned, it's just 1001 Arabian Nights. Lots of sand, some curly pointed shoes, curved swords (they have curved swords...), nothing that will blow anyone's mind like the giant mushroom trees of Pelagiad or Mania.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 15 2013, 04:40 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 15 2013, 04:05 AM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

I miss Shivering Isles. I adore weird things like that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 15 2013, 04:13 AM
Post #13

Paladin
Group Icon

Im afraid my approach to the question is pretty far off the beaten path and even selfish. I blend play and writing together - and Cyrodiil, as the center of Tamriel, makes a fine anchor as far as games go. I had big plans for my story longer term that involved Skyrim. Then Bethesda announced that TES V would be in Skyrim. Not their fault, but in broke my heart and shattered the plans I had for that province because, sure enough, Bethesdas Skyrim does not match my own by a long shot. I now am working on plans that involve storylines in both Elsweyr and Valenwood and am concerned about history repeating itself with TES VI. The rich variety of Khajiit in Elsweyr (as mentioned above) and the complete absurdity of The Green Pact give me great confidence that my concept for these provinces would never align with Bethesdas. Therefore, I voted Summerset Isle, simply because it is more isolated from Cyrodiil and I have no plans for it.

Well, everyone has an opinion and thats mine. kvright.gif

*runs for cover*

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jan 15 2013, 04:55 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

I vote Elsweyr! Deserts, jungles, and tons of Khajiit? What's not to like? Hey, where's my wallet? That cat stole all my money!

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hollow
post Jan 15 2013, 05:01 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

I never took into consideration of the possible... 'difficulty' it would present the company to make the different types of Khajiit. I read up on the different types and yeesh. There's quite a few.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Of Beasts
post Jan 15 2013, 05:09 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Elisabeth Hollow @ Jan 14 2013, 08:01 PM) *

I never took into consideration of the possible... 'difficulty' it would present the company to make the different types of Khajiit. I read up on the different types and yeesh. There's quite a few.

They can figure it out, they're Bethesda tongue.gif

--------------------
Bruh ☠️
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Jan 15 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

I voted Hammerfell...Simply because it sounds the closest to the original Assassin's Creed stuff... biggrin.gif ...

I'm also kinda in the same predicament as Acadian, but in that I've been doing some stuff in the Summerset Isle, and it's not going to be anything like...

But then, Skyrim is nowhere near as good or interesting as I was expecting, coming from Oblivion...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Jan 15 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #18

Master
Group Icon

Hammerfell; I'd love a game set in a nice, Moorish-styled environment, and considering that it's Hammerfell that means I'm still able to indulge my favourite TES hobby of poking around in Dwemer ruins. Plus it just seems to me to be a really cool and interesting place.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 15 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #19

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ Jan 14 2013, 08:47 PM) *

- Valenwood is my personal pick for two reasons: First the idea of getting vertical in an Elder Scrolls game again!

This one. I actually don't care where the next TES is placed in, but Valenwood would be my first choice. And like you say, I would hope to be able to climb trees.

+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Jan 15 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #20

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 14 2013, 10:13 PM) *

*snip*

What about ES Online? You'd be able to take Buffy (or Acadian) in whichever province you'd like! EDIT: but I guess you'd have to keep your game off-line for it to work, especially with a story going on. Otherwise everyone would be clamoring around your character as you're just trying to focus on his or her story.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jan 14 2013, 09:30 PM) *

Then Skyrim, which is your basic fantasy world that everyone knows by heart. They did at least remove some of the genericness by putting some emphasis on a pseudo Norse setting. But it is still close enough to what people expect that no one was weirded out. Vikings, dragons, etc... are not going to surprise anyone after all.

This is the thing. A lot of of Morrowind fanpeople say Oblivion is "generic" because it has a lot of Earth-like similarities, but they won't say this about Skyrim as often, despite the fact that Skyrim has just a many Earth-like similarities (the trees, the buildings, even the Nordic ruins are all Earth-like IMO).

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Jan 15 2013, 03:15 PM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:42 AM