Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
Decrepit
post Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Post #741

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jun 14 2019, 06:24 AM) *

I just logged in over at BethSoft forums. I did have to sign in since I hadn't been there for so long but it remembered by username/password and logged me right in. Of course the place still looks totally foreign to me as I think I've been there less than once a year since they changed to the 'new' forums.

Thanks, Acadian. After reading your post I returned to Beth and had no problem logging in. Just a temporary glitch, I reckon.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Post #742

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 08:12 AM) *

I just logged in over at BethSoft forums. I did have to sign in since I hadn't been there for so long but it remembered by username/password and logged me right in. Of course the place still looks totally foreign to me as I think I've been there less than once a year since they changed to the 'new' forums.

Thanks, Acadian. After reading your post I returned to Beth and had no problem logging in. Just a temporary glitch, I reckon.

Or a man-in-the-middle attack to get your sign-on credentials. They put up a fake screen that looks just like the real one, record your name and password, and then tell you it failed. That gets you to re-try, confirming the details, because you could really have made a mistake the first time. Once they have a consistent set of credentials, get out of the way and let you through to the real site. It's not a new idea. I first did it back in the early seventies with mainframe systems, when I worked on security for those.

--------------------
Mods for Oblivion and now Daggerfall and Skyrim. Fan fiction, too.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Post #743

Mouth
Group Icon

I'd recommend changing that password.

--------------------
My craptastic YouTube channel

And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Post #744

Mouth
Group Icon

Though I doubt anything evil is afoot I went ahead and changed my Beth password. No biggie, and it cost me only a few minutes of time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Post #745

Master
Group Icon

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/14/on...e_battleground/ - I didn't recognise any Beth/Zeni content, but there's a lot more in their portfolio than I play.

I do have the same credentials for all the forums etc. where there's nothing of value for them to steal, but different, unique ones for any paid content, such as ESO or Steam. I'm not happy with the ESO forums using the same details as the game, but that just means their forum alone gets the more secure password, etc. and it does have some utility in requiring that forum users are also game account holders.

--------------------
Mods for Oblivion and now Daggerfall and Skyrim. Fan fiction, too.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Post #746

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jun 14 2019, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 01:14 PM) *

Anyone else run into this?

Can't say I have laugh.gif

Got a new old monitor home from work. And a Compaq, no less! Perfect for my DOS games! biggrin.gif

My parents had given me their old 10 gig Presario decades ago; it is the last PC I had that would play Chips.

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jun 14 2019, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 14 2019, 08:12 AM) *

Or a man-in-the-middle attack to get your sign-on credentials. They put up a fake screen that looks just like the real one, record your name and password, and then tell you it failed. That gets you to re-try, confirming the details, because you could really have made a mistake the first time. Once they have a consistent set of credentials, get out of the way and let you through to the real site. It's not a new idea. I first did it back in the early seventies with mainframe systems, when I worked on security for those.

Myspace used to be famous for having this "Middle man" attack. Everyone's PC's got loaded up with spy and adware from them; and who knows what else. It took me forever to clean the junk off my old PC, I finally had to reformat it. Then Myspace said it wouldn't allow access to anyone using Internet Explorer anymore; but by then everyone had migrated to FB or other social sites. Too bad, because I really hate FB.

--------------------
+Quote Post

38 Pages V « < 36 37 38
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2019 - 09:36 PM