Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Knight and the Lady: Chapter 2 -- Sneak Peek!
General Edor Crespin
post Feb 26 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Retainer

Now that W4O is hosting, I thought I'd post a short preview of the next chapter... Unholy Alliance.

Sir Deh’kohn Rotherane, Knight-Adventurer of Vvardenfell, gazed out over the Inner Sea with limpid, crimson eyes. His shoulder-length ebon hair hung loose, barely brushing the pauldrons of his exquisite Her Hand’s armor. An island was slowly appearing out of the dank mist but he barely noticed, his gaze directed not at any object, but thinking back to his last conversation with Vivec, the once strong, now fading Warrior-Poet God of the Dunmeri.

“Lord Vivec, I am honored to speak with you once again.” He spoke from the entrance to Vivec’s shadowed study, sunlight shining in around his figure to create a nimbus cloud.

“And I with you, Deh’kohn. Please, enter. We have much to discuss and little time to do it,” Vivec answered, his resonating voice surprisingly sober.

He marched in; the door-portal shut itself behind him. Now the only light came from several strategically arranged bowls of fire… and Vivec himself, it seemed. It permeated the room, not yellow, not blue, not green, but something that suggested all those, and then something more. It was brightest around Vivec but not on him, leaving his half-gold, half-grey body in shadow. Only his shining eyes were visible as he gazed straight at Deh’kohn, slowly bobbing in midair. “You have heard of the danger that faces Morrowind?”

“I have heard much, my lord. Much of it is rumour, and sounds like the depraved ravings of moon sugar addicts, but I believe there are a few grains of truth… that you have permitted,” Deh’kohn spoke carefully. Even with the Heart of Lorkhan gone, Vivec was still a powerful and fickle being, to say nothing of his legions of Ordinators. They were not as corrupt and overbearing as they once were, but it would be generations before the island forgot their insidious reign of terror.

“The rumours I permit?” Vivec laughed, bitterness barely audible in his voice. “Were it my choice, the first my people would learn of this menace would be when our victory parade is held. I spoke wrongly a moment ago. This threatens more than just our land- it threatens all of Tamriel. I have been in contact with the Emperor and he believes we must deal with this threat as one land, one united force. No matter how much I wish it were otherwise, he is correct, I must say. But we will discuss this more another time. Now, I wish to discuss the reason I have summoned you here. What do you know of the vampire clan Berne?”

“They are the clan that favors stealth. I destroyed a den of theirs once, in the Andrethi ancestral tomb out on the Bitter Coast.” He knew much more than he let on. Once, he had been a “guest” of that den for a time. What he had experienced at their hands… He still shuddered sometimes at the memory.

Vivec was watching him carefully, his face unseen but his eyes shimmering in the magical light. “I have learned of interesting… happenings at Galom Daeus. Vampires from all over Vvardenfell, including the heads of the other clans, the Ancients themselves, have gathered at Galom Daeus. Why, I do not know. Normally an opportunity such as this, I would be elated. With one swift stroke we could decapitate the clans, leave them open to mass attack by my Ordinators and the Great Houses. But I believe this is something special- it has to do with the menace we now face. Whether they are a part of this or seeking to thwart it as we do, I do not know. That is why I have sent for you. I wish for you to go to Galom Daeus. Attempt to meet with the Ancients… Raxle Berne, perhaps? Find out what has caused them to gather in such numbers.”

Deh’kohn was quiet for several minutes, thinking. The quest would be dangerous, physically and mentally. And Raxle… he would likely still hold a grudge for what had happened at the Andrethi tomb. Finally, he spoke. “I accept your quest, my lord.”

“It’s time.”

Deh’kohn blinked. He looked around and saw that that the ship had slowed. Directly opposite him was an island, emperor parasol trees wreathed in fog and the tip of a Telvanni tower just visible rising through the mist in the distance. He glanced over his shoulder and saw that Maranique was standing there, once again clad in the silver robe that she had worn in their journey through the forest. Her bow and quiver were slung over her shoulder, with a small bag belted to her waist.

He pulled off his helmet and tucked it under his arm before he answered. “So it is,” he smiled lightly as he turned to face her. “We should be able to reach Molag Mar by tomorrow night, we’ll spend the night there. If you’ve never been there before you’ll find it’s an interesting place. Its architectural style is the same as Vivec.”

Deh’kohn noticed Captain Vunnis approaching out of the corner of his eye; he turned to him and nodded. “Thank you for a swift voyage, Captain. If you would set us ashore at the docks of Tel Branora, your obligation will be completed.”

The captain nodded. “Of course. I believe about half an hour and we’ll be at the docks.”

Deh’kohn nodded in acknowledgement and with a quick bow the Cyrodiil turned and strode away. Deh’kohn turned back to the railing and now the trees on the shore of the island were unveiled. They towered over the other plants and were only one of Morrowind’s claim to fame… although many Dunmer would probably be just as happy if the Empire turned its back on Morrowind and visitors never came, he thought wryly. The Telvanni especially… he wondered if anything had changed in Tel Branora since his last visit. It had only been a few months, but sometimes Telvanni leadership could change hands every day for a week.

“Is Mistress Therana still in charge of Tel Branora?” Maranique was still next to him, watching the Telvanni tower appear out of the mist.

“I believe so. Although her sanity is… questionable, she’s still powerful.”

Any comments, suggestions, whatever are appreciated. smile.gif

--------------------
--In Memory of H. Beam Piper
November 9, 1964
IN THE WAKE OF [b]FEDERATION!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 28 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Chapter 1 was outstanding, as is this. Please continue to share this well-written, fascinating vision with us.
+Quote Post
jonajosa
post Mar 1 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

What he said but with more enthusiasim LOL. Great title too. Just reading it makes people want to read it.
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 1 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #4

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok....this was great!!! but where the **** is chapter 1...give us a link please

Want to read the beginning..NOW... :goodjob: biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 1 2005, 02:29 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(minque)

Want to read the beginning..NOW... :goodjob:  :D

Check the Fan Forge section of the main W4O page. :paperbag2:
+Quote Post
Sinder Velvin
post Mar 1 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog)
QUOTE(minque)

Want to read the beginning..NOW... :goodjob:  :D

Check the Fan Forge section of the main W4O page. :paperbag2:

So embarrassing...
+Quote Post
General Edor Crespin
post Mar 2 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #7

Retainer

Thank you for your kind comments milady, gentlemen. smile.gif My mom and sister are in Rome this week, so doing my sister's chores (milking cows... yippee...) and taking care of my mom's office work, PLUS my usual school stuff are keeping me busy, but next week I hope I'll be able to start writing again.

--------------------
--In Memory of H. Beam Piper
November 9, 1964
IN THE WAKE OF [b]FEDERATION!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 04:15 AM