Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Games That You Wish Existed
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 6 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

[Insert Half-Life 3 joke here]

A month or so ago, I quipped in The Everything Thread about a basic type of game I would like to see become real. After thinking about it every so often (and constantly forgetting about it), I figured: Why not make a thread for that kind of thing? Surely everyone has all sorts of ideas in that regard.

The game could be a totally new IP that doesn't exist yet. Or it could be an existing IP you love but you want to see something done differently with it (even if it would be a completely different genre and just a spin-off). Things of that sort.

I'll start, and I'm going to go with my favorite series, The Elder Scrolls. First, I wish Bethesda would make the canceled Elder Scrolls Adventures games Eye of Argonia and Paradise Sugar. They were the sequels to Redguard. Eye of Argonia was supposed to have Cyrus again as the protagonist, I believe, which I would absolutely have been down for.

But more than that, I'd really love a TES fighting game. I rarely play games in that genre, but if there was one for TES I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd have to think about how I'd like to see the gameplay, etc. turn about, but it would be rad to have a roster of characters from across the series all in one game and fight each other. I believe Injustice and Marvel vs. Capcom have the characters say unique dialogue to each other before they fight, and I think that would be awesome to hear in a TES fighter as well.

Some of the characters that I want to see on the roster would be (games they appear in beside each name):

Jagar Tharn (Arena)
Dagoth Ur (Morrowind)
Gortwog Gro-Nagorm (Daggerfall)
Cyrus the Restless (Redguard)
Pergan Asuul (Shadowkey)
Azra Nightwielder (Shadowkey)
King Joruun (Online)
King Emeric (Online)
Queen Ayrenn (Online)
Shalidor (Online, but mostly from lore)
Mannimarco, King of Worms (Daggerfall, Oblivion, Online)
Kodlak Whitemane (Skyrim)
Vivec (Morrowind, Online)
Almalexia (Morrowind, Online)
Soth Sil (Morrowind, Online)
Vanus Galerion (Online, but mostly from lore)
Lucien Lachance (Oblivion)
Ulfric Stormcloak (Skyrim)
Legate Rikke (Skyrim)
Umaril the Unfeathered (Oblivion)
Pelinal Whitestrake (Oblivion briefly)
Baurus (Oblivion)
Fargoth (Morrowind) [He would make for a great joke character in the game, but actually have him be capable of fighting.]
Mankar Camoran (Oblivion)
Lord Harkon (Skyrim: Dawnguard DLC)
Serana (Skyrim: Dawnguard DLC)
Gaiden Shinji (Online, but mostly from lore)
Sai Sahan (Online)
Lyris Titanborn (Online)
The Underking (Daggerfall)
Dram (Redguard)
Admiral Richton (Redguard)
Prince Helseth (Morrowind)

I want more on there, but that is all I can think of for now. I don't know any characters from Dawnstar or Stormhold, but I'd like for them to be represented a bit, too. Obviously, this game would be non-canon.

So what about you all? What kind of games do you wish existed and were playable?

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Aug 7 2019, 05:12 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 6 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

I like non-combat games, that make you think, rather than just react quickly. Logic puzzles, rather than action games. However, the internet means that puzzle answers are a click away, so unless someone comes up with puzzles that have a different answer every time, they don't become part of games these days. ESO has a few, but most of them can be brute-forced, as there aren't many possible answers, and you just try them all.

One of my favourites was Lemmings but that ran out of steam eventually. However, it did lead to a lot of the RTS games that came later, which then lost the puzzle aspect in favour of the combat. The various economy games, where you build a civilisation, or a railroad, or a theme park, and have to balance growth against stability are another direction on the same theme.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 6 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

An interesting question that I have no good answer to. Kingdom Come Deliverance comes so close to being the sort of RPG I've wished for for decades it erases much I might have written here had it not been released. I of course wish for a KCD set in a 'game world' as big as Daggerfall's, but I wish that about every RPG I enjoy.

Now that I'm into train/railroad games, I wish for one of those that combine the best features of Transport Fever and, in addition, provides a true Train Simulator mode.

I suppose what I most wish for, and have wished for since I got into PC gaming in the late eighties, is not a particular game but its means of delivery. I've always considered a more advanced form of ST:NG's holodeck to be the first truly satisfactory gaming platform. That's what I want!, knowing I'll be long in my grave before such a platform comes to pass.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 6 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

My ideal game would be single player, medieval fantasy, open world, create your own character, massive, open world, rpg where you do not rely on a party of either other player or NPCs. Lots of repeatable things to do so a character could live and adventure there daily for years.

Baldurs Gate and its ilk of D&D-inspired games are not open world and are designed around playing with a party of NPCs.

KCD is not medieval fantasy, nor does it allow you to create your own character.

Oblivion and Skyrim are not massive.

ESO is massive but not single player. The problems with ESO all revolve around it being multiplayer. The game has to try and please soloists, group dungeoneers/raiders and PvP (player vs player). This means trying to 'balance' skills which leads to constantly nerfing and buffing them, leaving players feeling as if they are building upon a foundation of shifting sands. If ESO were single player it could still live in the cloud via a server to play but the stimulus to balance the game for disparate communities would largely be gone and the addons that fans could create and share could expand beyond user interface/convenience features to actual hard combat/skill changes so players could customize their game more to their liking the way we enjoy modding other single player games.

That all said, playing ESO as a soloist is the best I can do for now so that is where Buffy currently lives.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 7 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 6 2019, 11:30 AM) *

I like non-combat games, that make you think, rather than just react quickly. Logic puzzles, rather than action games. However, the internet means that puzzle answers are a click away, so unless someone comes up with puzzles that have a different answer every time, they don't become part of games these days. ESO has a few, but most of them can be brute-forced, as there aren't many possible answers, and you just try them all.

One of my favourites was Lemmings but that ran out of steam eventually. However, it did lead to a lot of the RTS games that came later, which then lost the puzzle aspect in favour of the combat. The various economy games, where you build a civilisation, or a railroad, or a theme park, and have to balance growth against stability are another direction on the same theme.

I like puzzle games every once in a while (e.g. the Portal games), but I concur in wishing that action games and action-oriented RPGs would incorporate some puzzles more often. Makes for a nice change of pace and it doesn't need to be all-combat all the time. As much as I love Skyrim, the puzzles in the game are just pathetic. And if the puzzles like in ESO can be brute-forced, well...not really much of puzzles then, are they?

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 6 2019, 12:11 PM) *

An interesting question that I have no good answer to. Kingdom Come Deliverance comes so close to being the sort of RPG I've wished for for decades it erases much I might have written here had it not been released. I of course wish for a KCD set in a 'game world' as big as Daggerfall's, but I wish that about every RPG I enjoy.

Now that I'm into train/railroad games, I wish for one of those that combine the best features of Transport Fever and, in addition, provides a true Train Simulator mode.

I suppose what I most wish for, and have wished for since I got into PC gaming in the late eighties, is not a particular game but its means of delivery. I've always considered a more advanced form of ST:NG's holodeck to be the first truly satisfactory gaming platform. That's what I want!, knowing I'll be long in my grave before such a platform comes to pass.

Even though I think the change that Morrowind onward made to TES was for the better, Daggerfall has a bunch of unique charms that the other games in the series just can't quite capture. One of those is the size of the world, like you said. Sure, it hampers diversity, but just knowing that the world IS that big and that you could actually travel it normally if you really wanted to is still mindblowing even today. And the size of the cities made them feel like actual cities.

I used to play Railroad Tycoon when I was a kid. That was a lot of fun. A true simulator would be cool to see, even if I've long since moved away from that type of game.

That's an interesting discussion! I'm glad you brought up means of delivery for a slightly different take on this thread but still keeping it related. That's something I'd have to think about myself.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Aug 6 2019, 06:04 PM) *

My ideal game would be single player, medieval fantasy, open world, create your own character, massive, open world, rpg where you do not rely on a party of either other player or NPCs. Lots of repeatable things to do so a character could live and adventure there daily for years.

Baldurs Gate and its ilk of D&D-inspired games are not open world and are designed around playing with a party of NPCs.

KCD is not medieval fantasy, nor does it allow you to create your own character.

Oblivion and Skyrim are not massive.

ESO is massive but not single player. The problems with ESO all revolve around it being multiplayer. The game has to try and please soloists, group dungeoneers/raiders and PvP (player vs player). This means trying to 'balance' skills which leads to constantly nerfing and buffing them, leaving players feeling as if they are building upon a foundation of shifting sands. If ESO were single player it could still live in the cloud via a server to play but the stimulus to balance the game for disparate communities would largely be gone and the addons that fans could create and share could expand beyond user interface/convenience features to actual hard combat/skill changes so players could customize their game more to their liking the way we enjoy modding other single player games.

That all said, playing ESO as a soloist is the best I can do for now so that is where Buffy currently lives.

I get what you mean. I much prefer RPGs where you aren't required to build a party, but I don't mind having the choice. It seems you and I have the same concept of the ideal RPG. The Elder Scrolls has scratched the most itches I have in that regard, but it doesn't quite get all of them. Sometimes I daydream about having a more "traditional-style" TES, single-player, with all of Tamriel playable and kingdoms/counties/holds/etc. the size of those you find in Daggerfall, but highly detailed.

And then sometimes I wonder if that would be too overwhelming, lol. But wow, would that game blow me away.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Aug 7 2019, 05:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 7 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Master
Group Icon

A reboot of the Valis series.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Kane
post Aug 7 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

Single player, open world, RPG in Middle-earth. First, Second, or Third Age would suffice.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Aug 8 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Aug 7 2019, 12:04 AM) *

Oblivion it is, then! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 8 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit has always felt a grand strategy game a la Total War set in 1E Tamriel could be really awesome. Play as the Chimer led by the legendary Indoril Nerevar! Rewrite history and play as the Dwemer or Ayleids! Lead the fierce Redguards from their sinking homeland of Yokuda and carve out a new empire on Tamriel!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Aug 8 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 8 2019, 10:48 PM) *

Khajiit has always felt a grand strategy game a la Total War set in 1E Tamriel could be really awesome. Play as the Chimer led by the legendary Indoril Nerevar! Rewrite history and play as the Dwemer or Ayleids! Lead the fierce Redguards from their sinking homeland of Yokuda and carve out a new empire on Tamriel!

There’s a Tamriel Total War mod out there for Medieval 2. It’s set in the Third Era and focuses on, you guessed it, Total War on Tamriel. It does not include Yokuda, Akaviri, etc as far as I know but it’s actually pretty good.

I want a game... that’s a hybrid between Total War, Battle Realms, Dark Souls, Fallout and Koei’s Hundred Year’s War. A game where you can build your own nation from the ground up ala Minecraft + Total War, where instead of just pressing a button and automatically training a soldier, you have to actually recruit people on this blasted world that serves as the setting and you’ll have to keep their innate skills and personalities in mind in order to make them effective. A game where the combat is hilariously brutal and unforgiving, with realistic depiction of dismemberment and fatigue and etc, so you’ll have to work as a group.

So basically I want Kenshi.

I just need a proper powerful computer.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 8 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

OH my gosh what a perfect thread.

Mine would be a mixture of Sims and Grand Theft Auto (minus all the guns and bombs). Basically I'd get to make my own Sims, but the game itself would have a more adult theme to it. wub.gif The one time I tried going on Lover's Lab to make this sort of game come true via mods ended with me getting a trojan on my gaming computer! indifferent.gif

Lol Lemmings. I remember that one!

This post has been edited by Renee: Aug 8 2019, 05:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2019, 05:38 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

A game that allows me to play a female protagonist.

That aside, an isometric, team-based strategy game set in the Elder Scrolls world would be fun. Something like Pillars of Eternity or Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale in look and workings. But using the Elder Scrolls world and "rules". So no classes, just skills and attributes. Anyone can use magic, if they just invest their experience in that. Or wear armor, etc...

It would be fun to have a party of Nords, and Argonians, and Altmer out exploring the wilds of Tamriel. That way your main character would not have to be good at everything. You could have your thief, your mage, your healer, your archer, your bricks, and so on. And you could play it tactically, where thinking actually matters.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 13 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

A He-man/She-Ra MMO...Now that would be awesome! Make your character and fight along side He-man and the Masters of the Universe or She-Ra and the Great Rebellion.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 13 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

Another game that I want would be a worldwide Fallout. Of course, that would be impossible, so for a more realistic wish I want a Fallout set in Florida. The whole state, but that's still a pipe dream at this point. I'm a bit biased since it is my state, but it would be so cool. It's actually quite a varied state environmentally instead of just swamps and palm trees, unlike what a lot of people outside of the state (and even native Floridians!) stereotype it as. I'm interested in that Fallout 4 mod that is set in Miami and in development, but I want more than that.

First of all, if any of you are aware of the Florida Man memes, Florida Man can be a fantastic random event even in the post-apocalypse. What it could be I'm not sure, but you got to have Florida Man in a game set in the state. To satisfactorily encompass Florida, the game world would have to be far bigger than any that Bethesda has ever done. I might be the only one who would care about Fallout: Florida, but here's a preliminary list of things off the top of my head that I want to see:

Cities/Towns: Tampa, Tallahassee (the capital of Florida), Orlando, Pensacola, Gainesville, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Naples, Jacksonville, Daytona, St. Augustine, Key West, Melbourne, Fort Myers, Key Largo, St. Petersburg, Fernandina Beach, Boca Raton, Port St. Lucie

Environmental areas: The Everglades (by the Eight, think of all the irradiated enemies that could come out of that!), Daytona Beach, Tampa Bay, Lake Okeechobee, the Keys, Ocala National Forest, Silver Springs, Apalachicola National Forest, St. Johns River, Marquesas Keys, Dry Tortugas

Other points of interest: All of the major universities in the state, Raymond James Stadium, the State Capitol Building, Cape Canaveral, Kennedy Space Center, Fort Zachary Taylor, Southernmost Point of the Continental U.S. (that's an actual monument, but it's much, much smaller than other monuments you might think of), Fort Jefferson, Walt Disney World

Random Events: Florida Man, radiation hurricanes, bad Vertibird pilots (since Florida has so many awful drivers, and I can't think of a better analog) that crash

Enemies (besides some of the usual suspects: Feral Ghouls with Hawaiian shirts on, irradiated alligators and crocodiles, ibises and egrets that mutated similarly to Deathclaws, a whole bunch of other creatures out of the Everglades

Factions: This is one I'd have to give some extra thought to, but I at least think it wouldn't make any sense to have the Brotherhood of Steel there. They'd feel shoehorned in. There definitely needs to be some Florida-themed factions though. Maybe even a faction similar to the NCR that is trying to create a nation out of the southeastern U.S.

Oh, the possibilities!

Geez, I have to be careful that I don't build this up so much in my head that I get disappointed that it doesn't exist. And it almost certainly won't ever exist. *sigh*

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Aug 13 2019, 09:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 13 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

Fallout Florida would need Radioactive Anacondas in the Everglades. Radacondas. Or maybe Snake People Mutants. Argonians!

Maybe some kind of Miami Vice easter egg, like a pair of police protectrons named Crockett and Tubbs.

Maybe a boss villain with a grenade launcher, who says "Say hello to my little friend!" or that could be the name of a unique grenade launcher.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 13 2019, 09:44 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit would love a Fallout game set in N’awlins, even if it would clash with my fanfic idea, lol.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 20 2019, 12:48 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 13 2019, 04:28 PM) *

Fallout Florida would need Radioactive Anacondas in the Everglades. Radacondas. Or maybe Snake People Mutants. Argonians!

Maybe some kind of Miami Vice easter egg, like a pair of police protectrons named Crockett and Tubbs.

Maybe a boss villain with a grenade launcher, who says "Say hello to my little friend!" or that could be the name of a unique grenade launcher.

I'm down for snake/lizard people! They have aliens in Fallout, so why not reptilians? I'm sure Vault-Tec or some Master-like entity or whoever could have been throwing humans and lizards into a vat of goo or performing some sort of experiments to create them, sort of like how centaurs were created.

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 13 2019, 04:44 PM) *

Khajiit would love a Fallout game set in N’awlins, even if it would clash with my fanfic idea, lol.

Post-apocalyptic French Quarter? Count me in (although I've never been to New Orleans). You could have a faction based on the Zulu and other Mardi Gras-themed stuff. I imagine the game would have some Point Lookout vibes as well.

Also, think of what they could do with the food and provisioning!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 20 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Aug 19 2019, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 13 2019, 04:44 PM) *

Post-apocalyptic French Quarter? Count me in (although I've never been to New Orleans). You could have a faction based on the Zulu and other Mardi Gras-themed stuff. I imagine the game would have some Point Lookout vibes as well.

Also, think of what they could do with the food and provisioning!

Oh yeah the foodcraft would need to be top notch. There would be no shortage of good ingredients! Crawfishlurks, Gatorclaws (colloquially called “Chomp Dragons”), “Mudders” (which are mutated catfish creatures similar to the fish creatures in Far Harbor), and probably wasteland versions of the “trinity” vegetables (onion, bell pepper, celery).

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 5 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

One 'game wish' of mine, not mentioned in my prior entry, is for a Daggerfall successor with state-of-the-art graphics and production values. Not likely to happen. Too big for indies. Not economical/commercial enough for the big boys. And yet...

Just got wind of a seemingly new Indie studio. Here's its web page. Read the short mission statement, then check out its founders. Who knows what, if anything, will come of it. It is, however, a glimmer of hope, however minuscule.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 5 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Sep 5 2019, 10:33 AM) *

One 'game wish' of mine, not mentioned in my prior entry, is for a Daggerfall successor with state-of-the-art graphics and production values. Not likely to happen. Too big for indies. Not economical/commercial enough for the big boys. And yet...

Just got wind of a seemingly new Indie studio. Here's its web page. Read the short mission statement, then check out its founders. Who knows what, if anything, will come of it. It is, however, a glimmer of hope, however minuscule.

Beamdog has done updates of the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games, so you never know.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:06 PM