6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> All Things Fallout, A Non Game Specific Discussion Thread
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

I think Deano's "Ain't That Kick In The Head" was my favorite of the original music. None of it did much for me though, so I eventually replaced all the songs.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 9 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2020, 01:56 PM) *

I think Deano's "Ain't That Kick In The Head" was my favorite of the original music. None of it did much for me though, so I eventually replaced all the songs.

Ooo what kind of stuff did you replace it with?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

I listed it somewhere years ago. But I am not sure where. Probably in the big Mojave Wanderings topic.

I went with a lot of Blues like Smokestack Lightning, The Thrill is Gone, and Born Under A Bad Sign, along with more modern Motown like Tracks of My Tears, Ball of Confusion, What's Going On, and the like. Plus some Rock like Sounds of Silence, Gimmie Shelter, or Fire and Rain. I even put some Sinatra and Deano in. I tried to go for the apocalyptic theme of the game. For example, the Sinatra song I used was I Did It My Way, which is a great ode to the Old World, warts and all.

Then later I used the Vtap player mod to add a crap ton of songs. That time I went pretty much full on modern Rock, but again kept that apocalypse theme. So songs like Balls to the Wall, Highway To Hell, We Didn't Start The Fire, Bela Lugosi's Dead, Children of the Grave, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, The End, Gods of War, Burn, and so on. It really helps me get in the mood.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2020, 02:28 AM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2020, 05:09 PM) *

I listed it somewhere years ago. But I am not sure where. Probably in the big Mojave Wanderings topic.

I went with a lot of Blues like Smokestack Lightning, The Thrill is Gone, and Born Under A Bad Sign, along with more modern Motown like Tracks of My Tears, Ball of Confusion, What's Going On, and the like. Plus some Rock like Sounds of Silence, Gimmie Shelter, or Fire and Rain. I even put some Sinatra and Deano in. I tried to go for the apocalyptic theme of the game. For example, the Sinatra song I used was I Did It My Way, which is a great ode to the Old World, warts and all.

Then later I used the Vtap player mod to add a crap ton of songs. That time I went pretty much full on modern Rock, but again kept that apocalypse theme. So songs like Balls to the Wall, Highway To Hell, We Didn't Start The Fire, Bela Lugosi's Dead, Children of the Grave, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, The End, Gods of War, Burn, and so on. It really helps me get in the mood.

Cool! Was this a difficult process, getting the audio files into the game?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 04:37 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

It was a giant pain in the rear. I know I wrote all about it somewhere around here, but I cannot find the topic.\

Wait a minute, I think it is in here

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2020, 05:33 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2020, 10:37 PM) *

It was a giant pain in the rear. I know I wrote all about it somewhere around here, but I cannot find the topic.\

Neat! So do you rip the songs off of cd’s or do you download them from somewhere?

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 10 2020, 05:35 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2020, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2020, 10:37 PM) *

Neat! So do you rip the songs off of cd’s or do you download them from somewhere?

Both. For these I believe I bought a bunch of the songs from Amazon's mp3 store.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 10 2020, 09:17 AM
Post #28

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 9 2020, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Sep 9 2020, 04:59 AM) *

When I was heavily into Fallout 3, I used to listen to the ingame music on youtube every night. Good music and good times happy.gif

I can see this. What is your favorite? Mine is Let's go Sunning, as I mentioned above. Absolutely clueless and idyllic music, in which all is wonderful and fabulous. But I like all the Fallout 3 music to some degree.

I like it all too. I think it's the mix of innocent music being played in a world that's been totalled by nuclear war. It's the contrast that does it for me. But really, the music is good and like Khajiit I am biased towards Civilization and Anything Goes. Fly Into the Moon is another beautiful fave of mine. Basically; if it's on GNR, I like it! tongue.gif

But the patriotic stuff on the other channel is good too, though I prefer GNR.

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 9 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Also, which do you like better, Fallout 3's music or New Vegas? I'm not as wowed by Vegas's, and neither is Linda. She'll often turn radios off if she's alone!

I have no opinion on Vegas as I have never played it mellow.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 10 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

I like all those choices, SubRosa, the blues and the Sinatra. I would think Sinatra and tunes from that era would fit into New Vegas really well.

Music from that era always gives me chills, assuming I really like the song. A piano solo, for instance, which mimics the singer's melody, but plays around with its notes a bit. Stuff like that kills me!

mirocu: YES I was gonna say, usually I would not like the patriotic music Enclave plays, or rather, it goes in one ear and other the other. BUT, within the context of the world which is all blown up, there's something rather haunting as I listen to all those tunes. Yankee Doodle Dandy or whatever.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 10 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #30

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 10 2020, 04:07 PM) *

mirocu: YES I was gonna say, usually I would not like the patriotic music Enclave plays, or rather, it goes in one ear and other the other. BUT, within the context of the world which is all blown up, there's something rather haunting as I listen to all those tunes. Yankee Doodle Dandy or whatever.

Might as well say a fave from the Enclave radio too; Stars and Stripes Forever. I have no fave by Agatha though; she's too boring tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 10 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

Hey, I apologize everyone, I forgot we already have a Fallout music thread. Oh well. mellow.gif

My next question in this All Things Fallout thread is one I'm sure we've never discussed here at Chorrol, but it's one of those topics we've discussed in the past, maybe in other forums. What would YOU do if it were you living in Vault 101? Would you wish to get out? Or would you be happy enough living within the safety of 101? Or ... whatever?

If it were me, first of all I hope Daddy James would not be my father. Not that he's a bad guy, but hopefully I would not be burdened with having to lose him to the Wasteland, and then following his footsteps all over yonder.

I definitely would be itching to get out of 101, though, for sure. Daddy James or not. Especially as a child / teenager, I was one of those kids. If somebody told me DON'T do that! I'd want to know why not? And then a lot of times I'd get sneaky, and try to see why not. I was always getting in trouble. indifferent.gif

I would be hanging around that final gate area quite a lot, therefore. The area with all the computers / guards. Maybe I'd try to get some sort of chores which place me in this area. I'd constantly be listening for anything which deals with the outside world. I would probably also be friends with Agata. She just seems peachy. But Agata has no desire to leave 101 if I recall correctly, and we'd disagree about that for sure.

Assuming I got out of 101, whether during the final disastrous scenes or not, I'd then have no idea what the heck I'd do once out in the Wasteland. sad.gif

When my first Fallout 3 character left 101 I actually cried! I shed a few tears, mostly as I gazed across at the Monument. Because I know what this area is supposed to look like in real-life, and seeing it all torn up. Well, that was profound.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 10 2020, 03:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #32

Ancient
Group Icon

When you are getting examined by your dad before you go take the GOAT exam, you can talk to James about if it’s true that everyone there was born in the Vault and everyone there dies in the Vault. He’s understandably very evasive. “Well, that’s what the Overseer says, isn’t it?”. The concept is really bleak. Did anyone here read the poem that Beatrice gives you on your 10th birthday? It’s absolutely f-ing depressing. I imagine being stuck down there would be really awful to us, but you gotta think, the residents of Vault 101, for the most part, don’t know any other way of life. Before James left, they had safety and were able to live out somewhat normal lives (well as normal as you can being crammed into an underground bunker all your life). It wasn’t until after James left that people really started questioning whether they should open the Vault or not, so I think that shows how ingrained that lifestyle was in the residents. They had to be shown that there was another way. So, I guess, for me it would probably depend on when in the timeline I was alive in 101. If I was alive before James’ arrival, I probably wouldn’t give too much thought to being outside. If I was there after James’ departure, I’d definitely join Amata and the others who want the Vault opened.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

I believe that like Beatrice and her poem, I would find the Vault to be suffocating. It would be like being buried in a tomb (which makes me wonder, where do all the bodies go when people die in the Vault?) I don't fit in or belong in the real world already, with all of its freedom. Can you imagine Coming Out in a Fallout Vault? I would probably commit suicide if I was trapped in one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 10 2020, 09:58 PM
Post #34

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 01:48 PM) *
. . . makes me wonder, where do all the bodies go when people die in the Vault? . . .

Soylent Green? wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 03:48 PM) *

(which makes me wonder, where do all the bodies go when people die in the Vault?)

The last line of Beatrice’s poem seems to indicate that dead bodies are incinerated.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 11:16 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 10 2020, 04:58 PM) *

. . . makes me wonder, where do all the bodies go when people die in the Vault? . . .

Soylent Green? wink.gif

Mmmmm, Soylent Green...

IPB Image

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2020, 05:22 PM) *

(which makes me wonder, where do all the bodies go when people die in the Vault?)

The last line of Beatrice’s poem seems to indicate that dead bodies are incinerated.

I was guessing that. But then my question is, where does all the smoke go? Up a chimney to the surface? If that is the case, then how about all that radiation coming in through said chimney?

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2020, 11:36 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 10 2020, 04:58 PM) *

Soylent Green? wink.gif

Mmmmm, Soylent Green...

IPB Image

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2020, 05:22 PM) *

I was guessing that. But then my question is, where does all the smoke go? Up a chimney to the surface? If that is the case, then how about all that radiation coming in through said chimney?

I want to say there is some sort of vent type thing over the hill behind Vault 101, like if you are going back towards that ruined barn or the overpass with all the Raiders. Perhaps this is where waste air is vented out, and the Vaults are fitted with some sort of “air scrubbers” that remove radiation from the vent? It could probably work like an airlock. Dead body goes in, door seals, vent opens, body burns, vent closes after it’s done, air inside is “scrubbed”, and the door can be opened again. Granted there would probably be a lot of Science! involved with this system.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

I think it would take a lot of SCIENCE! to make the Vaults work. Like where does all the food and pure water from from? Where does the oxygen come from? Is it all coming in from the outside and going through some kind of screening? What happens when the filters wear out? Back in the data centers I worked at, the air filters for the power units had to be replaced every six months or so. What happens when there are no more replacement filters? Or when something just breaks?

Power seems to be nuclear, so that is mostly covered. But even that has issues. Such as what do you do with all the leftover waste? Maybe dispose of it next to the water filters? Or just dump it in the water supply?

And what about overpopulation? IRL population grows steadily, sometimes exponentially. But in the Vault, you are literally locked in to being able to only support a certain number of people. Do they just let people make tons of babies, and overload the system, resulting in not enough food and air to go around? Careening down to mass rioting, executions, and revolution. Or do they purposely limit growth though mandatory birth control, sterilizations, and abortions? I bet both would go over great with Americans.

The whole thing is like building a space ship. Except you have to be in space for 200 years. The cryo freeze idea in Fallout 4 was probably the most viable one. If you could actually get that to work without killing everyone.

tbh, I think both of these scenarios should be included in the game as social experiments by Vault Tec.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 11 2020, 02:52 AM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

None of our real life physics seem to matter in the Fallout universe. I mean, you can cure critical wounds by gulping down a ton of water, lol. Also, we should probably keep in mind that technology developed differently than in our own timeline for some things and the Fallout universe has 50 years on our own. I imagine Vaults run something like this:

Vaults are equipped with advanced technology that allows for air to either be recycled or to be cleansed of rads as it’s brought in from the outside through vents (see above airlock premise). Likewise, water is brought in and cleansed through water purifiers (a major component of these are the “water chips” that you are seeking in the original Fallout, and James mentions doing experiments with ones from 101, indicating that there may be large amounts of these stocked in the Vaults that were intended to run for a long amount of time). As for food, it could either be grown in special hydroponic sections of the vault (not sure how canon anything in Fallout Shelter is, but if I’m not mistaken you can grow food in rooms called “Gardens”), or stocked with huge amounts of prepackaged stuff (I mean, that [censored] is still edible after 200 years; some crazy preservative techniques going on there, lol).

Power. It’s definitely nuclear, and nuclear technology in the Fallout universe is leaps and bounds more advanced and widespread than in our own universe. Their understanding of nuclear power was such that they were able to power every day automobiles, and make nuclear batteries to power other things, so I think it’s logical to assume that their nuclear reactors for power plants and vaults are way more efficient than in our universe.

Population. Well, frankly, most of the vaults seem like they weren’t really supposed to shelter conscious residents for longer than a couple of generations, with 101 and maybe a few others as exceptions (111 was only supposed to operate for 180 days before an all clear signal was given and the staff was to exit the vault. Obviously that didn’t go according to plan, or maybe it did, and violence brought a swift end to that vault’s non-frozen population). In 101’s case, the whole point of the experiment was to test how the Overseer’s role functioned in a vault that was supposed to never open (Source). I don’t think VaultTec had a set plan in place to control 101’s population, but rather left it up to the Overseer to deal with.

Wow, that was a lot, lol. It’s kinda fun to think about honestly! The logistics of it just seem impossible, but when you remember Fallout universe =/= our universe, it makes it a little easier to suspend disbelief. At least that’s the way I see it any way.

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Sep 11 2020, 02:52 AM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Sep 11 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #40

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2020, 05:30 PM) *

Did anyone here read the poem that Beatrice gives you on your 10th birthday? It's absolutely f-ing depressing.

I had completely forgotten about that; no idea if I read it back in 2013 but I reckon I did. I rarely pass up ingame info about stuff, especially when I'm new to the game. I wanna know and read as much as possible before moving on.

QUOTE(Renee @ Sep 10 2020, 04:54 PM) *

Hey, I apologize everyone, I forgot we already have a Fallout music thread. Oh well. mellow.gif

Hey, I forgot about my own thread so don't feel bad! laugh.gif

This IS all things Fallout so I guess music goes here as well. For only music though, that other thread could be more suitable.

This post has been edited by mirocu: Sep 11 2020, 08:30 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:48 AM