9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Say, Look What I Found, Keeping up to date with mods for Oblivion
Lena Wolf
post Sep 9 2022, 05:13 PM
Post #141

Mouth
Group Icon

Here is a mod with new and exciting creatures: wasps! This is a modders' resource really, the author made us some new creatures to play with! It is the same author who also made carnivorous plants and monster trees, and I just thought that Valenwood might get a slight insect and vegetation problem in the next instalment of my TWMP Valenwood Cities. ohmy.gif I think those three monster types just beg to go together. Also may be with snails (by the same author).

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 30 2022, 11:30 AM
Post #142

Mouth
Group Icon

Ok, this isn't exactly a new mod... But it's a new release and it's new to me, so here it goes. Oblivion Reloaded. What?! blink.gif

I always thought that OR would require bigger and better hardware than the standard Oblivion, and for that reason I never even tried it. That and the bugs and incompatibilities that you read about. But yesterday someone told me that the latest release 10.0.1 slashed Oblivion memory usage by 40% and improved FPS by half... Wow! That really warranted an investigation.

Turns out, starting with version 9 OR is becoming very modular and everything can be turned on and off. Plus, it has a very significant memory management and FPS management. Plus, in the latest version 10.0.1 they've finally solved the disappearing water bug!

The write-up says that you are required to use HDR and to set everything to maximum in your Oblivion.ini, or as good as. Well, I found that not to be true. Indeed, if I enable HDR and set everything to maximum, performance suffers. So I restored all values to what they were before and switched back to Bloom, and lo and behold, OR is still working just fine. May be because I disabled almost everything in it except for the memory and FPS management. wink.gif

It still needs tweaking and tuning, but I'm very pleasantly surprised: much reduced memory usage, better FPS and better graphics? Yes, please! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Sep 30 2022, 07:21 PM
Post #143

Mouth
Group Icon

I use Oblivion Reloaded, version 6.2 from 2017. It does make the game look real good.
I did have to tinker with the shaders fix the missing water. Something to do with reflections and shadows on the water surface, if I remember correctly. aA clue to the solution was a night time storm. As the clouds rolled in the water underneath the clouds disappeared. The water under the clear sky remained. Wish I had written down exactly what I did. If they got it fixed that's a plus.
3rd person combat is a mess, barrel rolls everywhere. I turned off everything that had to do with combat and I still don't like it.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Sep 30 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #144

Mouth
Group Icon

I too have all combat, equipment, horse riding, and other aspects turned off, as well as most shaders. With this version, I don't see a difference from vanilla so far, but will test more and report back.

When you install OR, you can skip the Meshes folder - this contains the altered animations. Just don't copy it to your Data folder, that's all. Perhaps that's why your movements get overwritten? If you look in the file list of the latest version, you see exactly which files to delete from your Data folder to restore vanilla animations.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 14 2022, 11:58 AM
Post #145

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Sep 30 2022, 07:21 PM) *

I use Oblivion Reloaded, version 6.2 from 2017. It does make the game look real good.
3rd person combat is a mess, barrel rolls everywhere. I turned off everything that had to do with combat and I still don't like it.

By "barrel rolls" do you mean that the character performs a roll every so often (too often)? I had the same issue. You need to disable dodge - that's what's doing it. And if you can't disable it in your version, you might have to upgrade... whistling.gif

I have been playing with it for a while now and I can confirm that when you disable enough things, all animations remain completely vanilla.

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Oct 14 2022, 11:59 AM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 14 2022, 03:01 PM
Post #146

Mouth
Group Icon

PIZZAAAAAAAAAAA!
And I'll have your credit card details, thanks. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 14 2022, 04:12 PM
Post #147

Paladin
Group Icon

Well, pizza IS one of the three basic food groups. The other two of course being chocolate and coffee. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
macole
post Oct 14 2022, 06:58 PM
Post #148

Mouth
Group Icon

I like pizza but I'm not that desperate. Pretty innovative concept for a mod though, hats off to the originator.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 5 2022, 10:48 AM
Post #149

Mouth
Group Icon

The Lost Spires website apparently went down. So if you were planning to get that mod, that's a problem. However, some kind soul re-uploaded version 14 to Nexus. Don't know how long it will stay there since it was originally not allowed. I myself grabbed it while I could. biggrin.gif Just an FYI. smile.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Nov 7 2022, 05:17 AM
Post #150

Mouth
Group Icon

It didn't last on Nexus very long at all. Truly sad to hear about The Lost Spires portal. Lost Spires is a top 5 if not #1 quest mod, IMO.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 22 2023, 02:19 AM
Post #151

Ancient
Group Icon

One of the things that always eventually wears me out from playing Oblivion is the need to constantly repair my equipment. For me it turned into a case of OCD, where at the end of every fight I had to immediately repair all my gear. Then recharge my magic weapon (I have a mod that allows you to do that with a spell). It gets really tedious after a while, and eventually I just don't want to play anymore.

I came across No Weapon Decay. It is a mod that removes weapon degradation, and has an optional version to remove it from armor as well. So you never have to repair anything, like in Skyrim.

It makes the Armorer skill mostly pointless. Except that you won't be getting it up high enough to repair items to 125% their original ratings. But that does not seem like a big deal for me. A bigger downside is that it appears that Light and Heavy Armor skill advancement is based upon the damage taken to your armor. So the armor version of this mod would make it impossible to advance in either skill.

I think I might still try it. I can just get training in whatever Armor skill January is using.

I also found Enchantment Restore Over Time, which automatically recharges your magic weapons over time. So I might try this as well. Or I might just go back to the old fashioned way of buying up filled soul gems and using them all the time. I do not mind doing this in Skyrim. And it keeps my characters from getting to insanely rich. At least for a while.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lefty Scaevola
post May 3 2023, 04:39 AM
Post #152

Retainer

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Apr 21 2022, 03:47 AM) *

Has anyone played this mod: The Lands of Solstheim Vvardenfell and Mournhold - SoVvM br3? It adds Morrowind to Oblivion, but unlike Morroblivion, it does not recreate TES3. This project was abandoned a long time ago, while Morroblivion survived. Yet it has some very recent comments, and as one commenter points out, the fact that it doesn't recreate TES3 makes all the difference for many players. They seem to have come quite far with filling in the land, too.

The only area that is well developed is the Island of Solstein. got most location fromm Bloddmoon there, in their Oblivion Timeframe state, and several completed quests

VVardenfell has one town, one populated camp. a couple dozen dungeons, and the rest is just terrain with lots of bandits, deadra and other hostiles. There is a stability problem in several parts of VVardenfell because apparently one or more creatures on their leveled lists for spawns are corrupted. If you can figure out which and delete them from the leveled lists it will greatly improve your experience there.

Mournhold is about 1/2 done.

values on armor, particularly high end, seem excessive compared to Cyrodiil. You can rapidly become a millionaire killing bandits and deadra

--------------------

Older, richer, and wiser* than you.
*but likely less IT competent.
"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 4 2023, 01:53 PM
Post #153

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmm... Thanks, Lefty. This doesn't sound very promising, I must admit. And with all of their copyright notices in the vein of "don't touch this or else!" it's not surprising that no one picked it up either. It's a pity.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 10 2023, 08:17 AM
Post #154

Mouth
Group Icon

Teapot helmet anyone? blink.gif

But actually this is modelled on a real medival helmet.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Renee
post May 10 2023, 06:59 PM
Post #155

Councilor
Group Icon

Hee hee how claustrophobic such helmets must've been back in the day, too. I mean, I know these are fantasy games; what I'm saying is helms like that are often based on real designs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 10 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #156

Mouth
Group Icon

Exactly, that's why I linked that Wikipedia page. wink.gif It says you couldn't see or hear anything in such a helmet, and could barely breathe... wacko.gif But your eyes were protected. Hmm...

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 31 2023, 07:58 AM
Post #157

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been playing Oblivion again for a few weeks, using No Weapon Decay and Enchantment Restore Over Time.

No Weapon Decay works really well. I occasionally find some dead enemies with 1% of damage to their weapon. So far I have never had even that on my own weapons. The same with my own armor. I do sometimes get some small amounts of degradation to my shield (January is a sword and shield fighter, so she blocks a lot). But that is no big deal. I repair it once a session at most, sometimes I go two or three sessions before I think of it. So no worries.

Enchantment Restore Over Time needed some tweaking to get working how I wanted. The default regeneration was way to slow. But thankfully you can change the settings with some console commands. I used the following:

set EnchantRestoreTimer to 1
set EnchantRestoreMysticism to 0
set EnchantRestorePower to 20

With that my weapon essentially is recharged completely every second.

Given all of this, I have stopped having to worry about repairing and recharging. Before I found myself getting so OCD about it that after every fight I would repair all my gear, then use a spell to recharge my magic weapon. That always became a real drag to my enjoyment over time, and made playing the game feel like a chore. Without that anymore, I can just play the game and have fun. It is a big relief, and makes the game a lot better for me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Jun 15 2023, 11:17 PM
Post #158

Mouth
Group Icon

There's a new mod for Alchemy: De Rerum Dirennis - Alchemy Overhaul. It is an extract from Av Latta Magicka, but just Alchemy stand-alone. OBME not required. smile.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 29 2023, 08:57 PM
Post #159

Mouth
Group Icon

The perfect armour for every psychodelic warrior! Including the Jandaga. biggrin.gif Shop Rainbow Glass Armour!

IPB Image

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 29 2023, 10:01 PM
Post #160

Paladin
Group Icon

laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:04 AM