Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sims 2 Castaway, A Sims picture let's play
Renee
post Dec 12 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Okay, yeah, I know this is weird. laugh.gif

Sims 2 Castaway, a game which features a bunch of Sims who have quite a story to tell. Not the usual 'doll house' sort of theme most gamers are familiar with. Instead, this is a game with some rather surprising features and unusual roleplay. I first played S2C long ago in 2007, and it was one of my daughter's first videogames as well, at the age of 4.

Honestly, I have no idea how this will go. santa.gif But I need to get my mind off some wicked serious things going on. We all do, right? So let's enjoy this weird Renee gaming phase while it lasts, at least.

IPB Image

For this thread, I am going to post fuller-sized pictures instead of links. Mostly because this is a Playstation 2 (lower resolution) game. I wouldn't want to burden anybody with clicking on a bunch of links only to bring up shoddier graphics. There is a PC version of Sims 2 Castaway, but ironically its story isn't as compelling. unsure.gif

Meet the star of the show, whose name is Jenna Rossity.

IPB Image

Jenna is a teacher from Los Angeles. She is very giving and caring, with a knack for dealing with tough situations, as any teacher is wont to possess at times. Some time in the early 2000s, Jenna went on a cruise to celebrate the anniversary of one of her friends. Two of their girlfriends also came along for the ride, which was piloted by a dude, all of who can be seen below.

IPB Image

From left to right we can see Captain Crank, the sole male of the group, and (of course) the boat's captain. Clara Fye (nerdy scientist) is pictured in the striped Polo shirt. She's got red hair. At the boat's steering wheel is Jenna Rossity, and next to her, wearing a black tube top, is their slacker friend Mona Lott (musician / artist). Finally we have Anna Verssary (businesswoman). Everybody's on this boat ride because of Anna, who is having her anniversary, I guess.

IPB Image

As we can see, plenty of partying commenced upon this boat. As the boat drifted farther away from the city, and eventually past the island of Catalina, Jenna herself is shown tipping a wine cooler in the picture above. wacko.gif

IPB Image

Their revelry continued as skies grew dark... even Captain Crank was too blitzed to notice. cool.gif

IPB Image

As we can see, something is wrong in the picture above. What could it be? What could it be??

IPB Image

Oh no!!!

The next couple hours were a blur to Jenna. As their boat got knocked over by a gigantic wave (I guess) poor Miss Rossity was forced to grab hold of a chunk of the boat's wooden planking, and hope for the best. She dog-paddled in fear, sadly getting separated from the rest of her group, hoping she was not about to become shark food, wondering if she'd make it back to civilization alive.

When the ship capsized, the captain was sloshed drunk. Everybody was. So no distress calls were made. No planes were flying overhead at the time, and no other boats or ships were nearby to witness the accident.

IPB Image

The next morning Jenna found herself here, beached apparently upon an island. Unfortunately this island did not seem to be Catalina, as she could see no human structures or establishments nearby.

She awoke and coughed and shook herself off.

IPB Image

Oh no! What will become of Jenna Rossity???

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 12 2020, 01:53 AM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

This is cute! Oh noes! What will Generosity Jenna Rossity do next!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 12 2020, 02:22 AM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

A fun story and concept, Renee!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 12 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Another game with classic Renee style names - I like! Though I'm surprised I've never seen Renee Saunce laugh.gif

Bonus points for the pics instead of links! goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 14 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

I messed tonight's post up. Try again later.

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 15 2020, 01:36 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 20 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Cool, glad to see you all are enjoying this. cool.gif

mirocu, I agree Renee Saunce is a great name, and surprised that I never thought of it. You should definitely use this name. Since it is your idea, you own it. smile.gif I won't be upset. Renee can be a guy's name too, just in case. Now ... go hit that New button! laugh.gif

-------------------------------------

Days 1 and 2

Jenna Rossity spends all day on her sandy beach, doing not much at all.

IPB Image

She hopes to see something, anything or anybody. A ship or a plane, or even one of her friends, stranded and floating on debris. But there's just nothing out there. Oh... gosh! This isn't going so well.

IPB Image

Eventually the sky darkens, as night falls. Despite being marooned in this warm climate, it does grow colder at night. Jenna is surprised by this.

Being stranded on a tropical island is something everyone has fantasized over, she realizes. It's something she has even discussed casually with her students, miles away in her Los Angeles classrooms. In these discussions and fantasies, the idea often seems to include being ecstatic about the situation. Like, wouldn't this be great, to be separated from society? Maybe be surrounded by colorful birds! And find some treasure! Maybe fall in love with an attractive native who has never heard of cellphones! Or makeup! Or computers!! Or deodorant! All this native person knows about is love, truly unconditional love, unmarred by typical societal factors.

"If you were stranded on a desert island," the rhetorical question often begins, "what / who would you bring?"

Well in Jenna Rossity's case, she hasn't got any choices like this. She's just stuck on a patch of sand. Night is falling, and so is Jenna. Eventually she crashes, right on the beach.

IPB Image

The next morning, her situation fares no better. She's still stranded, and nothing else has changed. The sun is warm overhead, the air just about perfect, but she's still stuck, and still stranded.

IPB Image

This will not get her down. She decides to think positive, and starts her day with some yoga.

She begins with the "standing lotus pose". As she stretches, twists, and turns her body this way and that, she closes her eyes, imagining she's back in her day room, or back in class with forty others who are doing the same poses as she. At this point, the only thing missing is her Enigma soundtrack, or some other such atmospheric music to guide her energies by.

IPB Image

Jenna is also hungry, and there's not exactly any markets on this island. No Starbucks on the corner to foam her favorite Caramel Frappuccino, no Panera Bread at the mall to grab a quick salad 'n' sandwich combo meal (for just $8.99, with coupon!). Good thing there is plenty to eat, right here on this island!

Here she is enjoying a coconut, for instance.

(Note .... as far as I know there are no enemies in this game, but it is possible to starve! Unlikely, but possible.)

IPB Image

She even decides to gather her wits, and climbs a palm tree. Plenty of coconuts can be harvested up there!

IPB Image

IPB Image

She uses some driftwood to build a simple table, for crafting or.... whatever. It does not look like any sort of rescue is imminent for Jenna Rossity. Might as well stay busy, at the very least.

Jenna eventually finds a path which goes deeper into the island, as seen below. But she's not really ready to go on this path.

IPB Image

What if a ship or a plane passes nearby? She will need to be ready to display hand-signals, in an attempt to return to safety. No, it's better to stay here, for now. Problem is, Day 2 is also uneventful. The brilliant, breezy sunshine of the day eventually fades to night again.

IPB Image

With nothing else to do, Jenna thinks back to Girl Scouts. She spent some time as a den-mother for some of her pupils a couple years back. Nothing too extensive. But she does think she remembers how to build a fire.

IPB Image

Presto!!! Now she'll be able to stay warm at night.

IPB Image

As Day 2 comes to a close, Jenna Rossity continues to try, try, try staying in good spirits. Captain Crank did enter his party boat on some sort of day manifest back on the coast, right? Which means by now, there must be somebody, best case the Coast Guard, who knows their ship never returned to shore after that storm, right? Right?

This post has been edited by Renee: Dec 21 2020, 03:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Dec 20 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #7

Paladin
Group Icon

Neat listening to Jenna's inner thoughts as she gradually figures out how to make the best of her situation. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 20 2020, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

First pic: What is that green diamond doing over my head? laugh.gif

Yay for campfire! Just don't burn down all the trees like Kiera Knightley did tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Lopov
post Dec 23 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Stylish clothes on the stranded island!

Can she go to swim? Are there slaughterfish? hehe.gif

I'm curious, where does that path lead...is there an in-game map?

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 24 2020, 05:51 AM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

I hope that green diamond is not going to fall down and split her head open!

The Enigma soundtrack is perfect for Jenna doing yoga.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 31 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

I know. If I could mod this game, the green diamond would go! After awhile I get used to it. Just remember this is a cutesy game made for preteens, so stuff like this is part of the game. hehe.gif

Yes Rosa, Enigma is fun to listen to! Glad to hear you know of them, too.

Yes Lopov, she can go swimming. I'll try to remember to post a swimming pic. No slaughterfish. I am pretty sure this game is devoid of enemies, which is rather nice. Very relaxing. If I want to pwn some bots, I can just fire up Skyrim or one of those others.

Ah, you notice her stylish clothes. That part of the game is going to get interesting. wink.gif

I had to Google Kiera Knightley, mirocu. Never heard of her, although I've probably seen her in some movie. Did she burn something down?

Yes Acadian, I am enjoying her thoughts too. I am actually roleplaying this, going outside my usual Bethesda Box. So far, I know Jenna's from Torrance, California (a suburb of Los Angeles where I once lived myself) and teaches elementary or middle school.

Next episode coming some time this weekend. Happy New Year! cake.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 3 2021, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

Day 3 after the shipwreck begins, and Jenna Rossity awakes in a panic, well before sunrise.

IPB Image

Today is Sunday, she realizes. October 28, 2007. Why... grandma's birthday is today! And everyone in her family will be at the party, but her. Her father, her mother, her sister, her brother, along with all sorts of relatives and friends of relatives, at least fifty people were expected! The food would be catered, a polka band had been hired ... this party was going to be grand. It had been planned since June. Oh... no!

How long would it take people to realize she is not present? Does anybody by now even notice she is missing?

Jenna begins to backtrack, going through all the little things which had been going on in her life.

... The student she'd hired to take care of her cat and goldfish ... Her date with Phil Mypockitz was supposed to be last night ... She had left her Mazda sports car parked at a marina in Long Beach! ... ... All these thoughts crashing through her head at once. Jenna finds herself apprehensive and panicking, big time!

IPB Image

Who exactly had she told about that stupid boat trip? Anybody? Well, yes, of course. She had sent that email to Beth, one of her fellow teachers, right? ...And she had called a couple friends, mentioning to them in casual conversation that she'd be going on 'that boat ride' with Anna Verssary and a few others. At least a dozen had been invited by Anna, yet only four of them showed. Four of her girlfriends, plus the captain. All the others who hadn't gone? Well, they'd still be living their normal lives, unaware of how lucky they are.

She had also lied to her boyfriend Phil! There's no way he would understand what craziness their stupid day trip was supposed to be about. No way at all. So she had lied to him. Told him she had an extra caseload of papers to grade. Because otherwise, he would could get all jealous about their trip, surely. "Aren't I feeling stupid now?" Jenna asks herself as waves crash nearby endlessly.

Overall answer: she hadn't really told anybody within her closer circles where she'd be going on Friday. They'd eventually realize she was missing, but news would travel slow. Therefore, her grandma's delightful lawn party up in Palos Verdes would eventually become a nightmare.

IPB Image

A couple hours later, the sun rises. Another day full of perfect weather, and not much to do. Jenna is hungry, but she's sick of coconuts by now. Time to see if there's anything else to eat on this island. She decides she'll finally explore its jungle.

IPB Image

An unknown amount of time passes, it's hard to be sure how long, as Jenna scrambles through underbrush. Dodging vines, getting her feet stuck in deadfalls. By the time she emerges into a clearing, her clothes are dirty and torn!

IPB Image

These were the clothes which she'd so carefully picked out at J.C. Penney a week ago, in anticipation of Anna's stupid party. Her new mostly-cotton, plain-weave, ivory-colored blouse (Liz Claiborne, $39.00) damaged and shredding, as though it'd been worn an entire year without care. Her slate-colored, mid-length skirt (Izod Lacoste, $49.95, 50% rayon / 50% polyester, with elastic waistband!) which she'd been previously swishing around to music a couple days ago as they all got drunk from wine coolers, dancing to Cardigans and Bananarama. Look at it now. If Jenna walked into class tomorrow looking like this, they'd all assume she'd become homeless!

IPB Image

But the good news is, at least there are other things to eat. Bananas and berries and starfruits and cucumbers, as well as stuff she doesn't know about.

IPB Image

Hmm, what's this? Jenna finds this strange plant for instance, and decides she'll experiment. To her, it looks like one of those exotic herbs they sell back at Whole Foods.

IPB Image

Yuck, shouldn't have eaten that, oh no!

IPB Image

Well at least she knows what that plant is, now. Somehow.

IPB Image

Jenna is also surprised to learn that the island does have a few inhabitants. As they scramble and dash around for attention, they remind her of shorter, hairier versions of her students.

In the end, her trip into the jungle was a success, she thinks. Time to head back to the beach ...

IPB Image

... for another night of rest by the fire.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Renee: Jan 4 2021, 04:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 3 2021, 11:20 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

Phil Mypockiz! Another brilliant Renee gem.

Ewwww, green puke! Don't eat that again!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 4 2021, 01:14 AM
Post #14

Paladin
Group Icon

Jenna's ruminations about 'life back home' were neat to follow as she gradually learns more about surviving on Gilligan's Island. I hope her cat doesn't eat her goldfish!

'As they scramble and dash around for attention, they remind her of shorter, hairier versions of her students.' laugh.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Jan 12 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Master
Group Icon

Her clothes are now fit for the Fallout universe! laugh.gif

It's nice that you're putting some background to Jenna and her life before being stranded on the island.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 14 2021, 09:27 PM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

So, what's the object of the game? To escape the island or to make it your home?

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Jan 18 2021, 08:05 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

I don't actually know the full story, mirocu. I originally played this game way back in 2007-2008 when I was stressing about job searches, right in the middle of the 2008 Recession. indifferent.gif S2C is such a relaxing game, it would calm my stress right down. But I only got about halfway through its 'story' at the time. I assume there's some sort of rescue at some point, but not sure.

Yes, Lopov, looks just like she's wearing a Dirty Prewar Outfit. laugh.gif If I recall, we should also be seeing some changes with her hair, as well.

Thanks, Acadian. Writing her ruminations is really fun for me, even though it's not for her. sad.gif She's pretty tough though. She will not give up.

SubRosa: funny how in one game, mandrake root cures us. In this game it makes us sick! I think it can be blended with other ingredients in Sims 2.

I'll probably play more some time this week or weekend.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Feb 8 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

"When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?"

... Jenna Rossity calls these words out to the jungle, imagining she's on stage somewhere, a packed house full of playgoers seated before her, all of them captivated and listening ....

IPB Image

"When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.

That will be ere the set of sun.

Where ... is the place?

Upon the heath.
There it is, to meet with Sir Macbeth."

A graduate of SoCal University who majored in English while minoring in Theater, Jenna Rossity's recall of Shakespeare is flawless. As she busy-bodies to the pounding surf on Day Four of her new stranded existence, she can't help but call out the opening lines to Act 1, Scene 1 of Macbeth, her favorite Shakespeare drama. As she does so, she acts the voices of each of the three witches, with wicked and varied aplomb.

IPB Image

"I come, Graymalkin! she shrieks in a gritty voice as she pretends to be Witch #1, while a gull lands nearby, trying to crack open some sort of mollusk.

"Paddock calls!" ... Witch #2's voice is higher-pitched and nasal, Jenna decides.

"Anon, anon, begone! begone!" ... The third and final witch, who speaks with a tone as wicked as Jenna can muster.

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air..."

This semester, Jenna was right in the middle of analyzing Macbeth for English 201, with her seventh grade students. And though the votes hadn't all been cast yet, it was looking as though Macbeth might even become this year's Spring Play. Well, it would either be Macbeth, or yet another mediocre rendition of Oklahoma. Godspell had already been voted down by the majority of staff as being too much of a 'hippy shebang', and the one teacher who suggested Spring Awakening had almost gotten his head cut off, after Jenna informed those who had shown up for the latest PTA meeting of the controversy Spring Awakening was supposed to contain. "Just think of the Victorian Era equivalent of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. Might be okay in front of a college audience, but not here at Torrance Middle!" she had complained.

Back to reality. Eventually, it was time to come back down to it. Still marooned, and still no rescue in sight! To quell her fears, Jenna decides to make another trip into the island's interior. This time, she takes a different path, and finds herself located on the island's northern section. She determines her location by using shadows on the ground, just like she had taught some kids when she was a Den Mother for Girl Scouts.

IPB Image

This time, she locates a beach with a breath-taking waterfall, a hundred feet high does its top crest over the cliff up above. This is the sort of waterfall which is always pictured in tropical travel brochures.

IPB Image

But there's not just a waterfall to gaze upon ...

IPB Image

Yes! A shipwreck, and one which seems to be from an era long ago. She wonders if there's any treasure aboard this large, beached vessel.

IPB Image

But this seems not to be so. Other than a Captain's Log which records bad weather and massive waves (sounds familiar, Jenna thinks), there is no long lost treasure to behold. Gah! Jenna chides herself for such foolish fantasies.

"A sailor's wife had chestnuts in her lap," she continues Macbeth, now deep into its third scene.

"And munch'd, and munch'd, and munch'd:--
'Give me,' quoth I:
'Aroint thee, witch!' the rump-fed ox-bred cries...."
... her voice both fierce and sad.

Much later in the afternoon, she finds another path which leads to yet another portion of the island.

IPB Image

By the time she gets to where she's going, it is dark. The air is getting cooler. And again, there's nobody else in sight.

IPB Image

But Jenna thinks she sees something, far in the distance. Can it be...

IPB Image

... Can it be ... another island??

"Till then, enough. Come, friends!" Jenna calls out to salty waves, mocking King Macbeth's Scottish male voice, finishing Scene III to imaginary applause. She takes a bow as the tide pulls inward. Already, she feels some excitement. Not just to delve into Scene IV (which she's thinking of starting tomorrow) but also, if there's a second island, the chances that the rest of her party might just be over there is something to look forward to. Maybe they survived!

She decides she'll stay here for the night. Stay, and hopefully get a better look in the morning, when the sun arises.

This post has been edited by Renee: Feb 9 2021, 12:44 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Feb 8 2021, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Paladin
Group Icon

What fun listening to Jenna weave her current situation into her other life and Shakespeare!

Another island! Well, that and Scene IV will wait until the following day. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 9 2021, 12:00 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

I too, loved how you worked in Jenna's playful thoughts on Macbeth and Spring Awakenings into her exploration of the island. Or islands, as it turns out to be.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:08 AM