Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oblivion's Edge, An Elder Scrolls Fan-Fiction
Zalphon
post Jun 3 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Prologue

Five hundred years after the Oblivion Crisis...

Many years ago, the Champion of Cyrodiil stopped the daedra from invading. The hordes of infernal dremora and vicious daedroth. When he left Mankar Camaron's Paradise, people viewed him as a hero. However, he had become much darker.

He then went to the Shivering Isles in search of power. When he returned, any traces of humanity had left him. In his demented rage, he slaughtered the Blades, and began a crusade of crimes. However, an Argonian assassin stopped him.

After that, the Argonian and his Khajiiti companion came to the ruins of Morrowind to regain their thoughts. For after they killed the Champion, their long-lost Dunmeri friend arrived in a new-found body of a lich. They killed him and ever sense held a deep sense of remorse.

For some time they stayed in the blackened remnants of the Dunmeri homeland, but left. The despair that filled their hearts from seeing the remains of where they met their friend caused them to leave. They were never seen again.

There is rumor in the streets of the Imperial City of a daedric cult with the power to weaken, or even destroy the seal from our world and theirs. The Champion of Cyrodiil rose up before, I must rise up now. After the Mede empire fell, a daedra-worshipper conquered Tamriel.

When I was a squire, they taught me the skills of swordplay, ettiquette, archery, and restoration. Now I guess I'll have to put my skills to the test. I must walk in his footsteps, but I must remember the teachings of the Dunmer, the Argonian, and the Khajiit.

The time is near, I must stop time from repeating itself...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 3 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

Yeah! It's a sequel !!!!!!! And set in Cyrodiil? WOOOOOOT !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Verlox
post Jun 4 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Evoker

That was actually a fairly good prolouge, and I want to see more. I'm also DELIGHTED (!!!) to see how you said the Mede empire fell. I don't think words can express my utter hatred for that turn of events in the..."novel". And the

I have one particular nit though

he slaughtered the Blades, and began a crusade of crimes

I know what you were trying to get at, but crusade should not be used in that context. A crusade implies a very positive thing, not negative. It also implies a religious reason (the European crusades) , or a desire to combat abuse (Batman, and his crusade on crime).

I think you could find a more correct word.

--------------------
My loaf of bread brings all the ladies to the yard

"A brutish man cannot know, a fool cannot understand this: Though the wicked sprout like grass, though all evildoers blossom, it is only that they may be destroyed forever. But you are exalted, O Lord, for all time" -Psalms 92:7-9
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 7 2010, 12:54 AM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter One: A Harbinger

I walked blissfully down the streets of the Imperial City. At least so it appeared; in my mind I pondered what would happen if the rumors were true and Emperor Kristopher Traven, the descendent of an Arch Mage hunted the non-believers down and prosecuted us?

I walked out of the gates as night began to fall. My heavy armor made loud noises as I walked, but my concern was minimal. An arrow swooshed right past me. With haste, I tore my sword out of the scabbard and gripped my shield. "Show yourself, Thug," I cried out. Rage dripped in my voice.

Out of the darkness appeared a dremora archer who hissed, "Courtesy of Lord Dagon." Another arrow launched, but this one into my shield. With a burst of bravery and the sense that the Nine were with me, I charged at him.

My blade was in his chest and he fell to his knees. The dremora barely managed to whisper, "The anguish...I..will endure...will be beyond...imagination." Then the life left his body. Perceptively, I noticed in his knapsack he had a note. It was finely written in daedric.

"Kynmarcher Syrtin,

Kill Sir Kalian Broodikus. If he succeeds in his goal, then the Shades of Oblivion will not succeed in breaking the seal. His ancestor was one of the best swordsman to walk Tamriel and definitely one of the most powerful mortal mages to ever live. If he inherits any of the Knight's arcane or physical ability, then we'll need all the luck on Nirn to stand a chance.

Sincerely,

Valkynaz Proditor."

I wondered who they spoke of. And Broodikus? My name is Sir Kalian Vyran. My ancestor? I came from a family of mages. To say the least, my life just got a whole lot more interesting...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 7 2010, 04:08 AM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

I wondered who they spoke of. And Broodikus? My name is Sir Kalian Vyran. My ancestor? I came from a family of mages. To say the least, my life just got a whole lot more interesting...

A cliffhanger! Awesome Write Zalphon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 8 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks, Malx. Did you like the red text to emulate the letter being written in blood?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 9 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

I think I may have a new antagonist. He is inspired by the nightmare of a dear friend of mine, her nickname is, "Nikaya." I'd like to than her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 9 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Two: The Assassin and the Wizard

When I finally opened my eyes, an argonian held a shortsword to my throat. "Awaken," he hissed. "We have heard of your journey, Sir Kalian Broodikus. We fought with and against your ancestor, Zalphon Broodikus. You won't stop the Crisis alone, we are here to help as we did centuries ago."

"What?" I asked as he pulled the sword back. "Who is Zalphon Broodikus? Why does everyone keep calling me Broodikus? And why is my 'ancestor' so special? The Vyran family are mages."

"So many questions, so few time," the Argonian sighed. "Let us explain. I am Quick-Strike, this is J'skooma. Zalphon was a knight long ago who helped stop the Oblivion Crisis. After he purchased an amulet from a mysterious wizard, well he changed."

"It fed on his desire to protect, and gave him strength, clarity of mind, agility, and everything else he'd need. It also gave him a desire to conquer Mathoc with an army of undead after he became a lich," he continued. "We killed him and weren't heard from again, now to you. We were there when you were born, your mother had just died and we had to get you to safety. The Vyrans would take care of you, and they did just that."

"Why me?" I asked. "Why am I so special?"

"The Prophecy that was written about your ancestor came true," J'skooma said. "Then so did the one about cheese." The khajiit laughed, the others just stared at him.

"As my companion said," Quick-Strike grumbled. "You are in the prophecy, Kalian. We have read many prophecies, and they all come true."

"Joy," I growled.

"Two old beast-people were to help me? I wondered how much skooma they had done," I thought...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 9 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #9

Paladin
Group Icon

I like that you are using the first person POV. This story is neat so far, in that your lead char seems interesting and the story is rich with connective 'Zalphon Lore.' tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 10 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #10

Knower
Group Icon

Zalphon will always have a firm foothold. And we may see him in this or he may be just mentioned. The Arch-Lich (Zalphon got his power from stealing a shard of Mannimarco's) Zalphon may be just a story used to scare small children, or he may be a creature of the night that'll tear you apart in a moment's notice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 11 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Three: The Gateway

We walked for hours. Our feet ached, fatigue filled our muscles, until we saw it. A giant, red, ovular portal surrounded by black stone. The guards didn't see us, so we were able to eevesdrop. There were two dremora, one at each side of the gate. In front of them was a mad dremora, I'm guessing a commanding officer. "Valkynaz Proditor had me skinned for Syrtin's failure. To say the very least, it was extremely agonizing. If you see Kalian, kill him," the commanding officer barked. "We can't allow them to interfere with Zalphon's plan."

They nodded and drew their longswords. The commander entered the portal and Quick-Strike whispered, "J'skooma, will you do the honors."

The Khajiit said, "Cheese will, but I hate cheese so I'll steal the job from cheese. Haha, cheese is a loser." Then he muttered something and a bolt of white-hot flame emitted from his finger-tips into one of the guards, after a bolt of electricity jumped to the other.

I asked, "How did you do that?"

"Anu created us with a higher destiny than just death. J'skooma is well over one-thousand years old and has been tutored by the forgotten god, Xarxes himself and has read Oghma Infinium several times. I am five centuries old and was trained by the Dark Brotherhood long ago, I was also trained by the High Clerics of Boethia and Mephala," Quick-Strike explained. "We are not mere mortals. Our fates were written in the stars when we were born."

With a nod, I jogged over to the Gateway. I looked back and thought, "If I don't come back, I've had a good life." Then I walked in...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 12 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Four: Oblivion

When I entered the portal, I was on top of a mountain. The mountain was gray and the plants were dead. Undead and Daedra walked past one another blissfully, as if they were allies. The only living plants were Nightshade, Harrada, and Bloodgrass. All the others were dead and wilting. "Zalphon and I have unfinished business," the Argonian stated as he ran down the mountain. Behind him followed J'skooma.

As I walked, I felt a sense of despair. The skeletons and the zombies caused me no harm, but held their weapons drawn. The Daedra scowled. What was this place? Death filled it. Then I walked up to a bridge made out of obsidian and asked, "May I pass?" to the Dremora-Guard.

"You can't pass, Dunmer," The Dremora snarled. "Not unless Zalphon wills it so." Instantly, the Dremora fell to the ground screaming in anguish. I passed and looked up at the sky. The ever-lasting, sickly-gray sky. When I brought my head down, I saw it. A collosal, ebony keep.

The two guards barked, "The Dark Lord says only his chosen may enter."

"I'm his descendent," I responded. Suddenly they kneeled and begged forgiveness. I told them that none was needed as I entered the Ebony Keep.

"Welcome," a raspy voice whispered. "Your friends destroyed the Obsidian Tower, but the Ebony Keep is stronger. Also, welcome to The Shadow of Life, Oblivion. My guards will kill you on sight, know that now. If you do survive my finest which is comprised of only Valkynaz, then I'll be truly impressed."

I whispered in response, "I'll kill you, whoever you are."

"I am Zalphon, better known as the Knight and your ancestor," he politely replied. "This is just the beginning. The Nine and the Daedric Princes will bow before me. I have already killed Peryite for his ignorance and stolen his power."

"I'll never let you control the Nine. I'll die before they bow to a lich," I screamed back.

"My lich-body is gone, I have all the benefits, but none of the ill-effects. I'm ageless, can control undead with mere thoughts, and am reborn at my phylactery should I die," he cackled. "I advise that when you do meet me that you're ready to die and be reborn as one of my soldiers."

"We shall see," I thought. "We shall see..."

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 13 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

How can you even kill a Daedra Prince? I mean killing them would only result in vanishment, not outright destroy them. Oh, and I got one issue though.

The chapters are short and I feel it's sometimes rushed. Zalphon actually revealed his whole plans to his descendant, who defy him in every way. How's about you edit that part, eh?

And his phylactery.. Now that Kallian knows how Zalphon way of ressurecting himself, he obviously knows how to destroy it, right?

Sorry for the rant, Zalph. Now that that's over with, I want to see more. Plot twistings, interesting characters.. I'll have some more please! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 13 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Knower
Group Icon

How do you destroy a daedric prince? The same way the Champion of Cyrodiil destroyed Umbaril the Unfeathered. And how do we know this powerful Dunmer (who has his own realm of Oblivion) is telling the truth. Also he never said how he'd do it.

Phylacteries are what all liches have, but they keep it well-hidden. He wouldn't have it in the wide-open for all to gaze at. He'd have it inside a maze filled with traps, monsters, and daedra.

And I'm glad to see the rant, now that Malx is...well I don't know and Acadian only comes by every once in a while.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 14 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #15

Knower
Group Icon

Zalph, Umaril ain't no Daedric Prince. He's a half mer and a Half Daedra. The Unfeathered alliance with Meridia granted him immortality.

All of it is here:

http://uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Umaril_the_U...thered_(person)

That aside, I'm eagerly waiting for the next update!

This post has been edited by ureniashtram: Jun 14 2010, 07:45 AM

--------------------
--
--
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 14 2010, 11:58 PM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

Well in that case, by banishing them from Nirn and leaving them too weak to return.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 16 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Five: Innate Power

I awoke from dead-sleep. Was it all a dream? I must've passed out and Quick-Strike carried me here. It was so vivid and real. Quick-Strike was asleep next to me in a bed and to the left of me was J'skooma. My legs stood up and I walked outside and sat. We were in a tavern of some sort. Out the window it was almost pitch-black.

I walked out of the room and saw the innkeeper talking to two dremora. "Yes, they're asleep now," the Innkeeper said. "Wait until they leave and my master, Lord Varen will send two of my fellow cultists to assist."

The larger and more muscular dremora grunted, "You better not fail us, Hannibal."

"I am a Shade of Oblivion, failure is not an option," the pale, imperial replied.

"We shall see, if you do fail then it'll be your head on the plate of Valkynaz Proditor," the shorter one hissed. "If everything goes as planned, your cult will finally break the seal."

I rushed back to my room and donned my armor as fast as I could. I ripped out my from the sheathe. "Is that so, Dremora?" I called out. "Obviously you didn't expect me to arrive now did you?"

Quick-Strike and J'skooma soon came. They were awake by my shout I guess. The two dremora rushed up the stairs. My blade lunged at the smaller one's chest and it missed. "The seal must be broken," the taller one screamed. His mighty greatsword was slashed at me, bisecting the smaller dremora, while fortunately missing me.

With almost divine strength, I beheaded the tall dremora. It flew cleanly and the innkeeper hissed, "This isn't over." With a quick-spell the innkeeper was surrounded in black flame and dissapeared.

"I see why this is called the Inn of Ill Omen," Quick-Strike sarcastically remarked.

The Khajiit lifted the daedric corpse and banished it. "We can't let them succeed in breaking the seal," I explained. "If we do, then all is lost. For I have a feeling whatever daedric prince is behind this will destroy Tamriel."

"Over my dead body," the Khajiit howled. "Then again, I have thought it'd be funner on the other side where all the dead rocks and plants are."

"Why did I strike it so powerfully?" I questioned.

"Your very blood is divine," the Argonian stated. "Your ancestor was one of the best mortal swordsman to ever live and his skill with magic surpassed even Divayth Fyr's. Anu created your ancestor, J'skooma, and me with a greater purpose."

"But why me?"

"That is something only Anu knows."

"Who is Anu?"

"You'll learn," Quick-Strike nodded. "One day... One day... That day is not today, for we have more important things than this..."

"Yes, Quick-Strike," I politely replied. I had to stop this from happening. If I didn't then well, Tamriel would fall to the Daedric Prince that is doing this...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jun 16 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #18

Paladin
Group Icon

Plenty of action here! Still weaving Zalphon and your old chars in and around the story. smile.gif

Speaking just for me, I don't get bogged by lore. I don't want to see laser sabres or gunpowder, but you are the author and if you want to tweak lore stuff some, that is fine by me. Course I don't know any better with most of the MW lore anyway (eg: Divath Fyr).

Keep this one going!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jun 16 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #19

Knower
Group Icon

Well in that case, by banishing them from Nirn and leaving them too weak to return.

Not a bad idea! Yeah, not a bad idea at all. Where do you even come up with this ideas? Do you have like, access to the Apocrypha or something?

But.

I'm not really sure about Anu. I mean, I think that him and Padomay doesn't roll like that, y'know? But, hey it's only my opinion. I could be wrong.

And I think you overused the word Dremora in the fight scene in the Inn. How's about the word 'demonic creature' or 'daedric soldier'?

This post has been edited by ureniashtram: Jun 16 2010, 02:58 PM

--------------------
--
--
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Jun 17 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

Noted Uriena.

And don't worry Acadian. You don't remember the arguements Danielkay and I argued about over at Bethsoft, heh.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:52 AM