18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Baldur's Dale, The Infinity Engine Games Thread
Acadian
post Oct 26 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #121

Paladin
Group Icon

Sorry, Mustard. I've not played Planescape either so can't help compare the games.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Oct 26 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #122

Master
Group Icon

I played Planescape for just a few hours but didn't like it. To me Baldur's Gate seems very different, more interesting. But I can't be fair enough because I never really gave PT the real chance.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 27 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #123

Master
Group Icon

Bah, you're all useless to me! Useless! tongue.gif

Actually, thanks for the input. I've done a bit more reading around and I think BGII just wouldn't be for me; I loved Planescape's setting but found the AD&D 2-based game system too annoying to enjoy. Seeing as BGII is based on the same engine, I think I'd probably end up losing interest as well. I think I'm going to give Neverwinter Nights 2 a go, that looks to be much more up my street. At least until someone makes a CRPG based on Pathfinder.

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 27 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #124

Ancient
Group Icon

I would go for Neverwinter Nights 1 over NWN2. I thought it was the better game, more interesting at least.

Back on the Sword Coast, Persephone and company sacked Amonen, and headed over to the Temple District. There they got themselves hip deep in the sewers, hooked up with Keldcorn, and cleared out a beholder nest. Keldorn is definitely the better pick over Amonen. Now I think it is finally time to get out to Nalia's estate.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 27 2014, 12:55 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 27 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #125

Paladin
Group Icon

Yay! Keldorn! Nalia's estate is a blast, and rife with loot that should help your party muchly.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 27 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #126

Ancient
Group Icon

I was thinking that too about Nalia's Castle. I remember my time through there with Scathach that it was a veritable gold mine. I think the Gauntlets of Ogre Power were in there too. Though I might be mistaken. If I gave those to Aerie, she might make quite the Cleric Tank.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 29 2014, 03:03 AM
Post #127

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been playing BG2 for a while now and have formed some opinions on it. Especially vis a vis BG1.

One thing I definitely like about BG2 over BG1 is that I almost never get attacked while resting in BG2. Where it was almost constant in BG1. It still happens in BG2, but only very rarely. That makes me a lot more willing to rest, which in turn means I don't have to worry about conserving spells so much, and can turn the mages loose much more. I still prefer the Neverwinter Nights games in this respect though. You never get attacked while resting there.

OTOH, one thing I liked better about BG1 was the way the world was laid out in a wide open fashion. The game was laid out so you could walk from one outdoor 'level' to the next, and go all over the place at your whim. But in BG2 you start in the city, and the only way to travel to other places in the world is to first unlock them via starting the quest that takes place there. It makes the world feel much less open, and a lot narrower and smaller.

Another thing that is starting to drive me nuts is constantly hearing "My weapon is faulty!". It seems that no matter where I go, I am constantly fighting monsters that I cannot damage with my weapons, and that spells do absolutely nothing to. It looks like you need at least a +3 weapon to damage a lot of monsters. So of course those are hard to come by. Persephone is now hauling around the Flail of the Ages for a backup weapon, because it is one or the only things that can harm an Iron Golem. Thankfully the group just picked up that +5 Paladin sword for Keldorn to use. So now two members of the party can hurt things. Minsc has the Elven Court Bow, which is +3, but it never harms any of the 'special' monsters, even when using magic arrows.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 29 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #128

Paladin
Group Icon

It does take a fair amount of bean counting and knowledge to lessen frustration - especially when it comes to mage-busting.

I found any of the guides written by DSimpson here to be extremely helpful.

Oh, and speaking of mage-busting, there are four key spells with which you can bust any mage. They are: Dispel Magic, Breach, True Sight, and Ruby Ray of Reversal. Keldorn comes with both Dispel Magic and True Sight (two reasons to love him), Breach is not hard to get fairly soon. Ruby Ray is a higher level spell so you have to fumble around with the lower level spell breakers until you get it.

Lilarcor makes a great weapon (+3 2H sword) for Minsc at this point and is not hard to get in the Slums.

Overall though, I agree. While BGII is a very good game, it is rather linear and, thus, limited in how long it is fun to play the same character.

I always found the funnest portion to be from the beginning until you actually depart on the 'go fetch Imoen' piece of the saga. That is, running all around the long list of areas and quests that help you build up for that.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 29 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #129

Ancient
Group Icon

Thank you for that link! I can see a whole bunch of monster fighting tips in there. Even one to bring all your gear from BG1. I saved that to my hard drive.

Sadly, Keldorn is no longer in the group. I made the mistake of going to the government district for another quest, and the next thing I knew we were visiting Keldorn's family. The end result, he has quit paladining to be with his family. It was the only thing I could do without feeling like a total ass.

So now it is back to Persephone and Minsc as the sole bricks, with Nalia and Aerie as magical/clerical support. I briefly tried out Haire Dalis, but he annoyed me, and his bard song didn't seem to do anything. So I washed my hands of him and his 'actor' friends. At least Mazzy is still out there.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 30 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #130

Ancient
Group Icon

I found a +3 Halberd called Dragon's Bane I think, and I gave it to Minsc, along with the dragon scale armor I got off the red dragon, and a dragon helmet. It is too bad he is a two-hander, otherwise I would have given him Peridan and the dragon shield too. I used EEKeeper to move his proficiencies around to the halberd skill so he could use it better. While I was at it, I changed him from a Ranger to a Fighter, so he could take more than two dots in a skill. It is not like he really ever does rangery stuff in my games anyway.

Aerie has been turning out to be an excellent single class cleric. I had Cromwell smith her up some Anhkeg Armor and gave it to her. Between that and her enchanted shield she has an Armor Class of -8. Her Flame Strikes and Poisons can really make a difference, same with Cause Critical Wounds (that was what put the Shadow Dragon on the ropes).

Nalia is going strong too. I took the Lower Resistance spell twice with her for dealing with those pesky bosses who are immune to everything. It helps. Her Fireballs have also cleared out rooms before the rest of the party could even get their swords wet more than once.

Last night I went to the Umar Hills and picked up Mazzy as well. As always, she's a solid fighter, and a cheerful addition to any party.

I started using DLTC Editor Pro to edit some of the items in the game to give them a +3, so they can hurt things. So far I have only done some of the Companion's unique weapons, like Mazzy's sword and bow, Keldorn's Hallowed Redeemer, the Sword of Chaos you start with, and so on. It has been making the game a lot less frustrating.

Now that for once people are not constantly whining in my ear to go do this or that, I am thinking it is probably about time to go looking for Imoen.

I have also been using the Concurrent ToB NPC Romances Hack by Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan so that my characters can actually try out the female romances. I only just started using it, but I think Aerie is hitting on Persephone with all her talk of sunsets.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 31 2014, 12:42 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 30 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #131

Paladin
Group Icon

That sounds great! Yes, I made Minsc a regular fighter but gave him the berserker power as well. That sounds great for Aerie - when I used her I went the opposite direction and made her a sorceress. But pure cleric sounds like it better suits your party. I always have Aerie in one way or another just because I love her personality. Although I like Mazzy, I never used her too often - only because I always had too many other characters I really wanted in my party.

If you have not done so, you can also create your own party members. They don't really have any personality beyond vanilla voice responses, but they can help fill in gaps.

Also, if you have not tried playing a monk, you might enjoy that as well. Kind of a slow starter but deadly at mid/higher levels.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Of the three women you can romance, Aerie is my fave by far. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Oct 30 2014, 05:33 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 30 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #132

Ancient
Group Icon

I found a great portrait of Imoen on Deviant Art just now. Perfect to shrink down and use in the BG games, or Pillars of Eternity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 30 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #133

Paladin
Group Icon

Oh, that does capture the thief turned mage that is Imoen!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 28 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #134

Ancient
Group Icon

I found another great Imoen pic. Again, perfect for shrinking down to use in BG, or other games like Pillars or Wasteland 2.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 28 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #135

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, that is nicer than your previous one. Good find!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 7 2019, 12:16 AM
Post #136

Ancient
Group Icon

Baldur's Gate 3 is coming. Larian is making it (the same folks who made Divinity Original Sin).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 7 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #137

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jun 6 2019, 06:16 PM) *

Baldur's Gate 3 is coming. Larian is making it (the same folks who made Divinity Original Sin).

It’s got Khajiit curious, fo sho.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 23 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #138

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been tinkering with Icewind Dale Expanded Edition. I bought it a long time ago, but never got far in playing it. I have been toying with running January and the Knights of Nerddom through it. But I keep ramming my head against the obtuseness of DnD 2.0 rules. For example, I am planning on playing January as a Paladin again. So I started her as an Elf. But elves can't be Paladins. So I started her as a Half-Elf, but half-elves cannot be paladins. I was thinking Blackjack would be an ideal Dwarf Bard. But dwarves cannot be bards (apparently there is a height limit to playing a guitar?). *grrrr*

I found a mod that ports the DnD 3.5 rules to IWD and the two Baldur's games. But it failed every time I tried to install it on either Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate 1. So I just deleted it. I did find a mod that adds the soundsets from Neverwinter Nights 2 to IWD and the two Baldurs games. So January and company can use the same voices I am now using for them in Storm of Zehir.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 24 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #139

Paladin
Group Icon

I sympathize, SubRosa. Trying to preserve the essence of the same character across various games - each with their own quirky rules and limitations - can be a real challenge.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 25 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #140

Ancient
Group Icon

I just discovered that Icewind Dale 2 is going to get an enhanced edition thanks to a team of modders. It will be free to download once the beta testing is finished. From what I gather, you will need to already own Icewind Dale 2, and it will essentially act as a mod for it. More info here

--------------------
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:04 PM