4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First or Third person?
Infa Red
post May 25 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #41

Retainer

QUOTE(Lena_Wolf @ May 25 2021, 12:41 PM) *

I very much object to entering my phone number with them.

Yea I agree. Welcome to the new ages I guess. People love to sell their freedom/privacy and rights for a *false* sense of security. Thats the liberal motto ! lol

That said, its just for verification purposes. After the one time, they never ask for it again (that I have experienced anyway). Its kind of the new thing now, duo authentication. Phone is easiest and quickest.

--------------------
What's a matter? Can't stand the site of a strong Nord woman?
No, it's that I can't stand the smell of a strong Nord woman!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ikonomov
post May 25 2021, 09:28 PM
Post #42

Associate

QUOTE(Adella @ May 25 2021, 08:24 PM) *

Ikon...Nope...No luck with the avatar thing. I copied a link from a pic in my ‘One Drive’ pasted it into the box and added 90 and 90 in the boxes below. Still getting the ‘something went wrong’ message idkw. It hates me 😢

It might be that OneDrive doesn't work because it's not giving you a direct link of the image file. The link has to end with .jpg, .gif or .png. With Imgur you won't have that problem, so I'd suggest to try that. It's also a good place to use for sharing images in general. I don't remember having to provide a phone number when I created my Imgur account, but it looks like now they do. However, the website looks very secure and reliable, I don't think you have something to worry about.
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 25 2021, 09:36 PM
Post #43

Evoker

Well my avatar is a png. I tried shrinking the file to 18kb still no go and tried linking to it on iCloud still no go.

The help files say an admin has to allow the image to be linked by url or copy/paste the image itself. Maybe it is not authorised?

I will go to imgur if I really must....but having to have another functioning app site just for a single photo hosting seems excessive.

But thank you for trying to help

This post has been edited by Adella: May 25 2021, 09:37 PM
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 25 2021, 09:45 PM
Post #44

Mouth
Group Icon

I found that it was the length of the URL string that was the problem. I eventually managed to get it done via my blog site, so I deleted my new imgur account which indeed I created for that one picture. Most platforms have way too long URLs. My avatar is a JPG.

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Adella
post May 25 2021, 10:02 PM
Post #45

Evoker

The error msg keeps saying “not a valid file extension”
But it is an http// url link to imgur and a blurred image of just 5kb
The actual photo is a png which should be ok

So Idk what's the issue.
iPad says ‘Not secure’ on this site....maybe it won’t link cos of some Apple block?
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 25 2021, 10:10 PM
Post #46

Retainer

QUOTE(Adella @ May 25 2021, 02:02 PM) *

The error msg keeps saying “not a valid file extension”
But it is an http// url link to imgur and a blurred image of just 5kb
The actual photo is a png which should be ok

So Idk what's the issue.
iPad says ‘Not secure’ on this site....maybe it won’t link cos of some Apple block?

Dang, this is just getting deeper ! haha

Sorry you are going through this.

Ok, so I am on a Mac/Apple too. And with a link, as you pointed out, none of this should matter.

My image was also coming out burry. I decided to not downsize it myself, and just upload the good full size res image to Imgur. Then type the 90/90 thing in the boxes under the URL here when linking. This gives you the best quality image.

The only reason it might not be working is you are copying the wrong link ? Look for "Direct Link" and make triple sure you also remove any preexisting text in the URL box here before pasting.

And if that doesn't work, then try reformatting the image to .jpg then upload that to Imgur and try again. It should not matter, I agree but I am just trying to go over all troubleshooting.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 26 2021, 04:20 AM
Post #47

Evoker

Yay!
At last...phew

Why/how?
It was dreadfully simple....I had to manually add “.png” on the end of the url...even though the img was a png anyway!
Oh and delete the given http:// since the linked url has this bit anyway....as you said Infa👍

Well, I must extend grateful thanks to those who came to my aid...Infa, Lena and Ikon🤗

This post has been edited by Adella: May 26 2021, 04:24 AM
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 26 2021, 04:39 AM
Post #48

Retainer

QUOTE(Adella @ May 25 2021, 08:20 PM) *

Yay!
At last...phew

Glad to see its working. And it looks so good too ! Sharp and clear !
Awesome work !

Of course glad to help always.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 27 2021, 02:14 AM
Post #49

Councilor
Group Icon

Your avatar pictures are all fantastic. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post May 27 2021, 03:17 AM
Post #50

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ May 26 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Your avatar pictures are all fantastic.

I think Adella's avatar is particularly striking. I tell you, there are few things more mysterious and alluring than a woman wearing a stylish hat. Women should wear hats more often, I think.

And of course a woman with fangs is all the more irresistible!
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 27 2021, 02:20 PM
Post #51

Evoker

Pseron...You old schmooser, flattery will get you everywhere <giggles>

Hat’s and fangs....check goodjob.gif

I will see what I can do sweetie..... and on topic, a wonderful reason for 3rd person pov hmmm

Adella hehe.gif
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 27 2021, 05:16 PM
Post #52

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ May 26 2021, 10:17 PM) *

And of course a woman with fangs is all the more irresistible!

Of course. evillol.gif

So Pseron, how does it feel being able to post at a web forum at which you don't have to worry about locking thread after thread? smile.gif Or perform other moderator duties?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post May 28 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #53

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ May 27 2021, 09:16 AM) *

how does it feel being able to post at a web forum at which you don't have to worry about locking thread after thread? smile.gif Or perform other moderator duties?

I have to say, it's a relief to to post as myself, not as a representative of Bethesda Softworks LLC. I was reprimanded a few times early on in my moderating career for a few of the things I posted. After 15 years of posting on Beth's forums as "just some guy on the internet" it was a difficult transition to remember that I was now one of the public faces of an organization. But eventually it became second nature to consider everything I wrote very carefully to ensure that Bethesda would not object. hen I post here I feel like an athlete who has taken off his training weights and can now run unimpeded.

I also have to say that is a great relief not to receive PMs, posts, and even whole threads attacking me. Some people go ballistic when you move a thread, or edit a post or thread. They mistakenly believe that they "own" that content and that you have no business tampering with it. I have been called just about every name in the book over these past five years. I have been called a fascist, a clown, an idiot. I have been called a drone, a shill, a tool of corporate power. I have had my ancestry, my intelligence and my sexual orientation repeatedly called into question. So far, that has not happened either here or at AFK Mods, thank the gods.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: May 28 2021, 05:05 PM
+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 28 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

I think we need to give you some moderating to do, so you can come down slowly, and not in one precipitous drop.

And any time you want abuse, you have only to ask, politely, of course. biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post May 28 2021, 05:38 PM
Post #55

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ May 28 2021, 05:33 PM) *

And any time you want abuse, you have only to ask, politely, of course. biggrin.gif .

I can thoroughly recommend Molag Bal - he's excellent at abuse. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
ghastley
post May 28 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #56

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm not going to start an argument.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqn9

This post has been edited by ghastley: May 28 2021, 06:00 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Infa Red
post May 28 2021, 08:39 PM
Post #57

Retainer

I am real surprised people attacked you @Pseron Wyrd. As I felt you were the best perfectly lenient and tastefully strict moderator I ever seen !

If you guys can't tell, I am kinda of a loose cannon, speak my mind, hate the way the new age trend of politically correct, feelings hurt, overly sensitive crowds direction is going. I'm too old school for that, AND I see the damaging pendulum swing agenda behind it, so I won't buy into it. That said I can indeed accidentally say some stuff that would be fine in the 90's (Al Bundy style) but might be considered offensive to these wimps these days. And yes therefore I have had my share of yelling at mods over the years -- BUT I say all this cause of this -

The story goes as such - I remember I mentioned how funny it was that the Summerset Isle continent kinda looked like a ran over cat. haha, cause it does ! Then after posting, I realized what year it is and there are lots of overly zealous cat lovers out there (I love cats myself, I'm just logical about it is all) and I was worried I might be flagged as some cat racist, hater, bigot or some other overused popular word.

BUT - good old Pseron Wyrd came in and laughed and added to it ! Something about a steam roller or something. And that's when I knew... this dude is cool af ! And all the time, he moderated perfectly. Things had to get out of hand for him to do something. He was tasteful about moderation. Not like them nuts that LOOK for something to be against the rules and somehow bend everything edgy to be too close to breaking the rules, etc.. He just did what should be done, and left alone things that were human and understood jokes and humor.

Anyway - I tip my hat to the great moderator Pseron Wyrd ! Who will go down in the hall of fame of moderators !

This post has been edited by Infa Red: May 28 2021, 08:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 28 2021, 10:08 PM
Post #58

Evoker

Oh I absolutely must support every word Infa wrote about Pseron Wyrd above....I could not have worded it better myself.

I think, because Pseron was a regular member and player, once lifted into the position of Bethesda moderator he never forgot what it felt like to be a rank and file member, his attitude and responses were grounded in our reality. Some of the other moderators needed shooting, little jumped up dictators who seemed to relish wielding power over regular members, safe in the knowledge they could never be brought to account or made to answer for some of their more egregious decisions. As for the Bethesda Staff, forum supervisors - What a waste of space! They did not appear to rein in any excessive moderator action and you could not hope to get a personal answer. Oh I have a list of names carved into my memory.

I can only speak from my own experience. I had (still have) a form of rule based Skyrim Challenges which a few folk tried and many spectated. The original post, which started back in Apr 2017, garnered over half a million views and was a lot of ongoing work, vids, etc. Then along comes that hateful Sonderer mod woman, and says it looks like a char story to her....so she moved it into the fan fic backwater where it would be seen by relatively few. In tabloid terms that’s like going from from front page fame to somewhere near the back!
But get this....When I queried her because it was more like a competition and nothing like a char story....She admitted this: My thread was so popular views wise, that she decided putting it in the fan fic section would encourage more view traffic there. Well, all that happened of course, was new viewers to the Skyrim part never saw my thread and it waned. I have to tell you, I hated that cowbag so badly it oozed from my pores,

Thankfully, later when she was forgotten......Pseron, who must have silently noted all this....Suddenly came in and reinstated my thread’s front page status. Idk if he had to argue my case...or as I suspect, just did it. But which ever....Pseron countermanded the evil Sonderer and earned my immediate respect. Pseron.. wub.gif

I might add she was not the only bad egg either. We all remember when sadly long time member and good guy ‘Hemlock Kowl’ passed away. The mods declared the memorial thread we made as ‘off topic’ and deleted it...the heartless morons. Then after a hue and cry, they decided it made them look a bit too bad! They did not want the disrepute accruing against Bethesda. So it was reinstated..But locked to prevent further addition...knowing it would quickly drop down the page into obscurity.

There were countless other poor decisions, not to mention the favoritisms..oh yes! One or two obnoxious people relished taking the ‘police informant’ role, reporting arguments they spotted in posts, that were none of their damn business...this ‘help’ earned them some leniency from the mods. So, if say this person was now rude and dismissive to you in forum and you countered politely but firmly by right of reply. The mods deleted your posts, but left the obnoxious post made against you in place...Thanks mods! Where’s my Nuke button?

Anyway....I did not intend to let all that out, and certainly not here...but non-Bethnet denizens might appreciate some of the poo we had to put up with just to be there huh! Now I have stamped so hard on my soapbox, my heel has gone through it tongue.gif I shall now sink quietly back into the undergrowth laugh.gif

Adella

This post has been edited by Adella: May 28 2021, 10:54 PM
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 28 2021, 10:54 PM
Post #59

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ May 28 2021, 11:55 AM) *

I have to say, it's a relief to to post as myself, not as a representative of Bethesda Softworks LLC. I was reprimanded a few times early on in my moderating career for a few of the things I posted. After 15 years of posting on Beth's forums as "just some guy on the internet" it was a difficult transition to remember that I was now one of the public faces of an organization. But eventually it became second nature to consider everything I wrote very carefully to ensure that Bethesda would not object. hen I post here I feel like an athlete who has taken off his training weights and can now run unimpeded.

I also have to say that is a great relief not to receive PMs, posts, and even whole threads attacking me. Some people go ballistic when you move a thread, or edit a post or thread. They mistakenly believe that they "own" that content and that you have no business tampering with it. I have been called just about every name in the book over these past five years. I have been called a fascist, a clown, an idiot. I have been called a drone, a shill, a tool of corporate power. I have had my ancestry, my intelligence and my sexual orientation repeatedly called into question. So far, that has not happened either here or at AFK Mods, thank the gods.

Too bad you're not moderating anymore. You could be steering this thread back to the topic it is supposed to be on. tongue.gif

It's astoundingly pathetic how incredibly sensitive capital-G gamers are. I don't know how they can have any social interactions with the way they behave on forums, and it is funny how often their insults that are hurled at you are perfect descriptions of them. It is simultaneously hilarious and infuriating. These are the kinds of people that gamers as a whole get painted as by ignorant people outside of the hobby. They should be ashamed of their behavior, but "shame" or "responsibility" or "self-awareness" are in their vocabulary.

QUOTE(Infa Red @ May 28 2021, 03:39 PM) *

I am real surprised people attacked you @Pseron Wyrd. As I felt you were the best perfectly lenient and tastefully strict moderator I ever seen !

Lol, you should never be surprised. This is the Internet, and gamers on the Internet in particular. People who attack others for anything and everything. These are the same kinds of people who truly believe they are a superior person because of their gaming preferences, people whose whole identities are tied up in video games to the point that they actually feel threatened even by people who are only expressing different tastes instead of being elitists on the Internet themselves (though there are certainly elitists among them). They're almost as bad--sometimes even WORSE--than armchair political scientists babbling on social media and perpetuating their echo chamber's point of view.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: May 28 2021, 10:56 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Adella
post May 28 2021, 11:02 PM
Post #60

Evoker

Raider:

Qt. “Too bad you're not moderating anymore. You could be steering this thread back to the topic it is supposed to be on.” UQ

Yes soz, my bad. I am afraid I do get rather carried away at times hmmm!

So, on point then. When in first pov do players adopt the idea that they are in the game personally, or do they still think of it being the character they created.

And conversely... in 3rd pov....do they still somehow think of the on-screen char as them....or definitely viewing a discrete entity as one might view their domestic pet running around?

A. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Adella: May 28 2021, 11:20 PM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:10 AM