Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Game of Thrones, *** Spoilers *** (and discussion)
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 17 2017, 02:22 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

Lol, is mALX excited? Khajiit can not tell! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 17 2017, 02:46 AM
Post #22

Master
Group Icon

Let us celebrate by dropping our pants and underwear and let our floppy wieners flop in a way that'll make RR Martin proud laugh.gif.

Yeah South Park has basically ruined GoT for me biggrin.gif .

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Jul 17 2017, 02:46 AM

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 17 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jul 16 2017, 09:46 PM) *

Let us celebrate by dropping our pants and underwear and let our floppy wieners flop in a way that'll make RR Martin proud laugh.gif.

Yeah South Park has basically ruined GoT for me biggrin.gif .

laugh.gif

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 16 2017, 09:22 PM) *

Lol, is mALX excited? Khajiit can not tell! biggrin.gif

rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 17 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit thought it was a good episode.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

On the Game of Thrones front = I continue to be disappointed in the show this season. The acting is even beginning to fail; they have started just delivering lines at us instead of making us believe it.

This season they are cramming scenes together instead of weaving a story; not to mention impossible distances are crossed in minutes and everyone has some omnipotent knowledge of everything happening all over the universe despite it is medieval times. It has become ridiculous, and so "Hollywood" that it is falling just short of eye-rolling. I'd have to call this the worst season so far, imho.

Also, they are resorting to cheezy tricks like doing all their filming in darkened rooms so you are straining to see everything. How is it daylight for the scene of Jamie on his horse, but dark to see the fires the dragon just laid down against the night sky? Then back to Jamie in daylight on horseback, then back to the night shot of the flames? What is wrong with this picture?

They have totally suspended believability in this show to cram scenes at us; and it seems even the actors aren't feeling it anymore from their wooden delivering of their lines. That stilted meeting between Arya and Sansa? WTF?

verysad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 7 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm actually quite impressed that they've managed to keep the visual effects looking more or less consistent with previous seasons, despite a greatly reduced budget. They have a lot to cram into fewer episodes, so they're really hammering the pacing. It's kind of hit and miss as to whether it works or not.

I think the meeting between the Stark kids was done that way to show how distant they've become. Arya isn't a little girl who's happy to see her sister - she's been trained as an assassin, experienced a ton of bad times, and killed dozens of people. Her meeting with Jon will be the one that should be emotional, since she was closest to him as far as the Starks go.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 7 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit thought it was a good episode *shrugs*

Stuff is finally getting done.

Re: The Loot Train battle
It wasn't night time. It was frickin smoke, and lots of it! The sun did appear to be setting, hence the golden tinge on everything when the smoke was momentarily clear.

Re: Khajiit agrees with Haz that the meeting between Arya and Sansa was intentionally awkward.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Aug 7 2017, 10:05 AM) *

I'm actually quite impressed that they've managed to keep the visual effects looking more or less consistent with previous seasons, despite a greatly reduced budget. They have a lot to cram into fewer episodes, so they're really hammering the pacing. It's kind of hit and miss as to whether it works or not.

I think the meeting between the Stark kids was done that way to show how distant they've become. Arya isn't a little girl who's happy to see her sister - she's been trained as an assassin, experienced a ton of bad times, and killed dozens of people. Her meeting with Jon will be the one that should be emotional, since she was closest to him as far as the Starks go.

I am having trouble understanding why they are having to work on a reduced budget; it makes no sense when the show is one of the most successful out there. Who reduced their budget, and why?

And they don't HAVE to force an end to the show in two seasons; they are choosing to. It is a successful show, if there is that much content remaining = why not extend it? And why are they giving us such short episodes and shortened seasons instead of the full episodes and seasons they gave us in the past?

So if they are cramming them, it is to save on cost and meet a deadline that none of us (fans of the show) really want them to meet. Cutting the quality of the show to ensure they keep making millions in profit is just going to harm the fanbase that is supporting their profit.

** not to mention that while they cut our quality of viewing; they managed to blow a wad on cameos of stars to "surprise a member of the cast on her Birthday" (while making another disjointed scene that did nothing to further the story).

That scene would have been fine and acceptable if it wasn't taking up room in an already crammed two seasons that they have set as their deadline ending of the show (seasons which are shorter than any previous seasons and with shorter episodes).

I'll use Breaking Bad as an example = we knew when we were reaching the last two seasons of that show, but they never once stinted on giving us the best possible performances/scenes; never crammed it up into disjointed scenes thrown at us in compressed episodes. It continued to be a chronologically occurring story that was riveting - it even got better as the last seasons played out; not cheapened.

I can't imagine any reason HBO would cut the budget of one of the highest watched shows of this decade.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 7 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 7 2017, 02:29 PM) *

On the Game of Thrones front = I continue to be disappointed in the show this season. The acting is even beginning to fail; they have started just delivering lines at us instead of making us believe it.

This season they are cramming scenes together instead of weaving a story; not to mention impossible distances are crossed in minutes and everyone has some omnipotent knowledge of everything happening all over the universe despite it is medieval times. It has become ridiculous, and so "Hollywood" that it is falling just short of eye-rolling. I'd have to call this the worst season so far, imho.

Also, they are resorting to cheezy tricks like doing all their filming in darkened rooms so you are straining to see everything. How is it daylight for the scene of Jamie on his horse, but dark to see the fires the dragon just laid down against the night sky? Then back to Jamie in daylight on horseback, then back to the night shot of the flames? What is wrong with this picture?

They have totally suspended believability in this show to cram scenes at us; and it seems even the actors aren't feeling it anymore from their wooden delivering of their lines. That stilted meeting between Arya and Sansa? WTF?

verysad.gif
I agree entirely, especially with Arya and Sansa's reunion after three years!!

One thing though I disagree on: teleportation. The simple answer is that a lot more time elapsed than it first appeared. This has been the case in the show all along which has eaten up much time than the novels. More than a month elapses in the very first episode of the series. By the end of Season 5 Myrcella Baratheon says that she had spent “years” living in Dorne, where she was sent towards the end of Season 2. Even in the fourth book, GRR Martin mentioned, "Some chapters cover a day, some only an hour; others might span a fortnight, a month, half a year." From this, you can tell that the narrative as presented in the books is not strictly sequential - some things take place simultaneously, and the gap between each episode can't be assumed to be the same either. How do we make the leap from the book to the show? Simple - the first season followed so closely to the first book that we can assume that timelines are depicted in a similar fashion.

Season 7 comes along and I don't think the writers are going to devote an entire episode of Jon on a boat to Winterfell, or Varys going to and fro Dorne. Not even the story can pickup on their arrival.

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 7 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 7 2017, 03:48 PM) *

I am having trouble understanding why they are having to work on a reduced budget; it makes no sense when the show is one of the most successful out there. Who reduced their budget, and why?

I can't imagine any reason HBO would cut the budget of one of the highest watched shows of this decade.

/snip

I don't know the specifics, it's just what I've heard.

I imagine it's more about budget allocation than anything else. The amount of scenes with dragons, whitewalkers and other cgi stuff will be increasing exponentially from previous seasons and that will be a huge chunk of money they need to remove from other scenes. The popularity of the show might also work against it, since the actors that were previously (more or less) unknown are now big stars with expensive contracts (some of the actors are on at least $1 million per episode). It's also likely that they're pooling the budget for a big finale.

HBO knows by now that people will continue to pay to watch whatever they churn out. They could have an entire episode that's just a still image of Emilia Clarke on the screen for 50 minutes and it'd still get millions of viewers.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 7 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Aug 7 2017, 11:09 AM) *

They could have an entire episode that's just a still image of parts of Emilia Clarke on the screen for 50 minutes and it'd still get millions of viewers.

FTFY

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Aug 7 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

You guys would love this parody from Ashens.

{You posted to Forums....Forums betray you}.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

*snip*
HBO knows by now that people will continue to pay to watch whatever they churn out. They could have an entire episode that's just a still image of Emilia Clarke on the screen for 50 minutes and it'd still get millions of viewers.

This. And: I'd watch it, especially if there was a chance to see her nude and coming out of a fire! (I'm straight, but hey! It's Emilia Clarke nude coming out of a fire!!! ) laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Aug 7 2017, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 7 2017, 02:29 PM) *

verysad.gif
I agree entirely, especially with Arya and Sansa's reunion after three years!!

One thing though I disagree on: teleportation. The simple answer is that a lot more time elapsed than it first appeared. This has been the case in the show all along which has eaten up much time than the novels. More than a month elapses in the very first episode of the series. By the end of Season 5 Myrcella Baratheon says that she had spent “years” living in Dorne, where she was sent towards the end of Season 2. Even in the fourth book, GRR Martin mentioned, "Some chapters cover a day, some only an hour; others might span a fortnight, a month, half a year." From this, you can tell that the narrative as presented in the books is not strictly sequential - some things take place simultaneously, and the gap between each episode can't be assumed to be the same either. How do we make the leap from the book to the show? Simple - the first season followed so closely to the first book that we can assume that timelines are depicted in a similar fashion.

Season 7 comes along and I don't think the writers are going to devote an entire episode of Jon on a boat to Winterfell, or Varys going to and fro Dorne. Not even the story can pickup on their arrival.

I agree with some of the timelines being shortened; but when in the same episode they jump from showing Jamie leaving one Province to return to KL; and he has a caravan of their goods = and mysteriously the dragon killing weapon that Q was showing Cersei in KL last episode. Meanwhile Dany not only just learns of this; but manages mustering the Rohirrim Dothraki to the exact spot on the road he is at. We know how the dragons made it, but a whole army and their horses?

And then in the same scene where Dany just found out about it; they pan to the beach and Jon meeting Reek Theon; and Jon says Dany is gone. Next scene the Dothraki army is attacking Jamie. No scenes of an army preparing to leave.

And while the battle is taking place, Tyrion (who was just at that beach watching Theon and Jon's meeting = is suddenly right there at the battlefield just watching it all happen (when it is supposed to be happening down in the south) - and he can see so clearly that he is commenting on Jamie's thoughts before and after Jamie charging the dragon!

I understand cutting some time out because you can only show so much of someone on a ship; but to never see her and an army plus horses leaving the castle?

That is what is making it disjointed; they are cutting out some scenes that shouldn't have been cut, and covering it by a stupid cramming of Theon's arrival and Jon saying Dany "is gone." They didn't even show Dany coming to the decision that she was going to act; they jumped to her THERE from Jon advising her not to and her looking like she listened to him.

And if they are going to try to make Tyrion or Varys the mole in her camp who is telling everyone their plans; then they are negating everything that GRRM built about their characters through all the previous seasons.

I'm not the only one that is noticing all the character changes, this quote from "The Verge" magazine online agrees:

Last night’s episode plodded along through dozens of weakly written conversations between characters with no clear motivations, goals, or consistent personalities, and then erupted into a full-scale dragon blitzkrieg.

And, all ll I have to say about all the omnipotent knowledge in this show is = those darn Ravens must have bionic wings or a jet engine between their legs!

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 7 2017, 09:17 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 7 2017, 11:26 AM) *

They could have an entire episode that's just a still image of parts of Emilia Clarke on the screen for 50 minutes and it'd still get millions of viewers.

FTFY

I'd watch that too, rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 7 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Aug 7 2017, 11:37 AM) *

You guys would love this parody from Ashens.

{You posted to Forums....Forums betray you}.

BWAAHAA !!!! That was great!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 10 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

Came across a most interesting longish YouTube video on why GoT Season 5 Dorne was decidedly sub par. This same channel has a number of other worthwhile discussions.

On a much smaller scale, Scholagladiatoria reviews the recent Arya - Brienne practice duel.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 10 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #38

Ancient
Group Icon

Ooh, while watching these I discovered this, GRRM's original outline for the books before finishing the first book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC5BWmtvO4c

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 10 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 10 2017, 03:53 PM) *

Came across a most interesting longish YouTube video on why GoT Season 5 Dorne was decidedly sub par. This same channel has a number of other worthwhile discussions.

On a much smaller scale, Scholagladiatoria reviews the recent Arya - Brienne practice duel.

The first vid you linked (which is a two-parter) has some interesting info, but the guy making the vid is so slow at presenting it that it becomes irritating to listen to. Why he had to show us his outlines for the vid planning first and THEN re-go over them when he presented the quotes from the interviews??? (Why not just show the quote from the interviews and address it in one instance?) He was way too wordy and repetitive; which is too bad because the info he had is something I would like to hear; but probably hear by someone who can cut through all the drama and go right to the meat of the topic.

The second vid was excellent; extremely informative (but concise!!!) Nice one, very interesting!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 10 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Aug 10 2017, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Aug 10 2017, 03:53 PM) *

The first vid you linked (which is a two-parter) has some interesting info, but the guy making the vid is so slow at presenting it that it becomes irritating to listen to. Why he had to show us his outlines for the vid planning first and THEN re-go over them when he presented the quotes from the interviews??? (Why not just show the quote from the interviews and address it in one instance?) He was way too wordy and repetitive; which is too bad because the info he had is something I would like to hear; but probably hear by someone who can cut through all the drama and go right to the meat of the topic.

The second vid was excellent; extremely informative (but concise!!!) Nice one, very interesting!

I had intended to mention that the first video was long-winded and that the gist of it could be gleaned within its first several minutes. Me being me, it totally slipped my mind.

Interesting linked video. I've long known some sort of early ASOIAF synopsis existed, but never before encountered it.

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:24 PM