Morrowind [ 37 ] ** [84.09%]
Total Votes: 44
Guests cannot vote 
Aki
post Jun 4 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

I wish i coulda playe dDaggerfall, it sounds great. Esspecially the werewolves. biggrin.gif

Heh....

Thats how i'd end up with my first death, i'd run out looking for WWs and get eaten. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MerGirl
post Jun 5 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, I've downloaded Arena recently (legally from the official site, so don't hurt me!), and it's much harder than Morrowind. At least for me. tongue.gif I mean, I haven't even got out of the prison/dungeon that you start in yet! :ashamed:

Darn those goblins! Ambush me as soon as I get out of the water (which was difficult for me to do in the first place)! Strangely enough, in Arena, my weak Altmer Healer (Celia) is surviving much better than my much more stronger female Khajiit Ohmes (a Ranger/Archer). tongue.gif
+Quote Post
sjvan0
post Aug 8 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #23

Retainer

As much as I love both of them, I like Daggerfall just a smidgeon more.
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Aug 10 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Morrowind... Why? Because its the only TES Game I've played... embarrased.gif
+Quote Post
sjvan0
post Aug 11 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #25

Retainer

QUOTE(Aki @ Jun 5 2005, 09:17 AM)
I wish i coulda playe dDaggerfall, it sounds great. Esspecially the werewolves.  biggrin.gif
Heh....
Thats how i'd end up with my first death, i'd run out looking for WWs and get eaten.  tongue.gif

Trust me, you'll die plenty of times before you even see a werewolf/boar.
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Aug 16 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmmnn, this one is tough. But I would have to say... I liked the naughty-ness of Daggerfall and the HALT-ing guards was just a classic, but DAMN it was buggy. So in the long run I'd say Morrowind.
+Quote Post
OverrideB1
post Aug 30 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #27

Finder
Group Icon

While Morrowind is graphically much better than any of the previous TES games, I must admit that I much prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind. Yes the towns are generic, yes it crashes anytime there's a "Y" in the name of the day, yes there are more bugs than a whole continent of termites ~ but it offers so much that, if you can put up with the faults, it is a far superiour game.

--------------------
Food, Slave, Telvanni ~ Take your pick.
The Coalition of Evil Geniuses: Overlord of Boom
+Quote Post
ShogunSniper
post Sep 1 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

morrowind. never played daggerfall or any other TES game for that matter

--------------------
War is over if you want it.
+Quote Post
Wurlon
post Sep 2 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #29

Knower
Group Icon

I never got to play Daggerfall or Arena but I did play Morrowind, so I voted Morrowind lol

--------------------
Sic Semper Tyrannis
+Quote Post
g_squared
post Sep 9 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #30

Associate

by far morrowind
+Quote Post
ugmung
post Jan 20 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #31

Retainer

well i liked arena but i havent played daggerfall yet
morrowind is amazing to me its graphics at the time it came out were killer once i got a hold of it i never put it down. the first couple of weeks if you touched my controller you'll be missing some fingers. thats why i like morrowind better than arena.
+Quote Post
Bolzmania
post Feb 20 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #32

Knower
Group Icon

I don't know. My mother (minque) has got Arena on her computer. I've got the other games but Daggerfall doesn't work on my vista and didn't work on my xp so I guess I need to install it on an older computer. So I can't answer but I guess I have to say Morrowind.

//Daedroth

--------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world"
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Feb 20 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #33

Master
Group Icon

You're Minque's son? Nice to meet ya. Heh, maybe we can get your whole family on this board. That would be groovy, like a family reunion of sorts.

Anyway, to the matter at hand.

I have played Arena, Daggerfall and what I call Morrowind Lite. I'll give my opinions on all.

Arena: Rather bland, no guilds, utterly random terrain, towns way too large and horrible dungeons. One other bad point is the constant spawning in dungeons. I honestly can't count the times I cleared out a corridor, only to have a mage spawn two steps behind me and remove half my health with a single fireball.

But, Arena was the first and should be considered in its own merits. It wasn't too bad and it did brought us the most badass Battlemage ever to walk on Nirn. Jagar Tharn! cool.gif While the main quest is pure fetch and runs into a routine you can practically dream in no time, it does work simply because of Tharn's taunts. He's just creepy, the way he can find you no matter where you hide. The fact that you're basically tracing his steps helps him, but still. The guy can invade your dreams from the other side of the continent. Except for a Daedra and a dead spirit, that makes him the only person so far who can do that. And the way he replaces all the guards with shapeshifting demons, badass.

One other good point is atmosphere. While the constant spawning sucks, it does mean you are constantly on guard and you feel really tense, no matter how powerful your character might be. So yeah, Arena has its good points. It is the origin of TES and the origin of Tharn, so I like it.

Daggerfall: The second one. Daggerfall plays as an Arena MK II. It adds guilds, better character creation, background generation (pretty damn cool), an insane amount of clothes to wear (or you could go naked, if that's your thing), more weapon types (including flails!), more monsters, no more constant spawning in dungeons and so much more! Towns are still bigger than Vivec by the way, but the map has been improved there. At least you can now identify places of interest without asking everyone for directions.

Also, wagons! One extra uberlarge inventory? Worth every coin.

Downsides, the main quest is a bit disjointed. I've gone through the first one, but I don't know how to proceed. Somewhere in the entire bloody province, somewhere in one of the thousand towns, is the questgiver I need.

Other downsides, dungeons are even worse now. No more passwall, it's a 3-d maze that makes navigation a total nightmare. The fact that nearly all guild quests have you run through a dungeon doesn't help much. Then there are the time-limits on quests. While it is realistic, it does get on your nerves if combined with the dungeons. Also, outside terrain is still rather boring.

Morrowind: Morrowind took everything learned from Daggerfall and Arena, resulting in the following.
No more randomly generated dungeons, handcrafted quests (although a lot of them are still fetch), spears, crossbows handcrafted terrain (big point! finally real mountains!) and cities that are easy to navigate even without a map.

The only downsides I can think of are: No more flails (those babies are cool, don't know why.), no more wagons (or horses), no more climbing (well, there are ways even without levitation, but it is a lot less convenient) and less clothes to choose from.

Also, I consider the new slashing system to be more awkward. Unless you choose 'best attack only', you need to sidestep and stuff to make different moves. In daggerfall and Arena you just sweeped the cursor across the screen in a different way. It probably has something to do with the fact that you now can look in all 3 dimensions easily. Looking at the two, I consider ease of camera-movement more important than ease of doing a horizontal slash.

Favourite? Morrowind. While smaller than Daggerfall, everything it sacrifices are small things. Everything it gains are big things.

PS: Daggerfall works with Dosbox. I don't know how I did it though, I only remember it took me months of trying. Even now, movies and sound still doesn't work.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 25 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

Morrowind definitely- the depth, the better graphics, the varied architecture (although that kind of shows up in Daggerfall).

Best way to play Daggerfall is on a Windows 98 PC or partition. Alternately, you can use DOSBox on an XP machine, but that is a little harder. Daggerfall is the main reason I still have my Win 98 machine (besides the fact that I am a total geek).

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Mar 18 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #35

Knower
Group Icon

It wasn't better nor worse. Just different. Daggerfall was randomized, Morrowind was detailed.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Liam
post Mar 19 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #36

Retainer

I've never played Daggerfall, so I couldn't say really.

-Liam

--------------------
all of ur oblivionz r belong 2 me :D
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 17 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #37

Councilor
Group Icon

Another vote for Morrowind here. I dunno why, but I haven't really been able to get into Daggerfall, which is weird because I really enjoyed Arena. So it's not about technology or graphics.

Anyway, Morrowind for me.

Hey while I'm here, can anybody tell me why Alchemy is so frickin' hard in this game? I've got a Dunmer with Alchemy as a Major Skill. She's only level 1, but still... every potion she's made so far has failed. And she's made over a dozen so far. All fails.

When I had a warrior guy last year, he failed to hit enemies sometimes during combat sometimes, but he DID hit about half the time! ... I expect my Dunmer alchemist will fail at some potions, but not all of them.
mad.gif

Edit: Never mind. She just created two in a row. Phew.

This post has been edited by Renee: May 17 2018, 11:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post May 24 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, since this post was brought back from the dead, I figure I'll put forth my opinion too.

Overall, it's Morrowind for me. But Daggerfall just has this strange charm that, for all of the game's faults, has just never been replicated in the series since.

QUOTE(Renee @ May 17 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Another vote for Morrowind here. I dunno why, but I haven't really been able to get into Daggerfall, which is weird because I really enjoyed Arena. So it's not about technology or graphics.

Anyway, Morrowind for me.

I've legitimately enjoyed every TES game I've played a significant amount of (all of the main series, Redguard, and Online), although to varying degrees. Maybe the absurdly enormous dungeons or the bugginess prevented your enjoyment of Daggerfall?

Hey while I'm here, can anybody tell me why Alchemy is so frickin' hard in this game? I've got a Dunmer with Alchemy as a Major Skill. She's only level 1, but still... every potion she's made so far has failed. And she's made over a dozen so far. All fails.

When I had a warrior guy last year, he failed to hit enemies sometimes during combat sometimes, but he DID hit about half the time! ... I expect my Dunmer alchemist will fail at some potions, but not all of them.
mad.gif

Edit: Never mind. She just created two in a row. Phew.

But this is one of the things I absolutely hate about Morrowind. Obnoxious dice-roll mechanics. Perhaps it wasn't that annoying in Arena and Daggerfall because they weren't full 3D, but even if they were the chances to hit in those games didn't seem to be so aggravating. I don't think the dice-roll mechanics added any value to the game, for the most part. I understand why the mechanics were in there, but they were still garbage.

I would like to see such mechanics modernized, however, in how well you do something. Restoration level has some effect on how effective certain healing spells are, smithing level affect the quality of what you forge, alchemy level affects the potency of a potion, etc. Unless you are doing something really high-level or way above your character's capacity, I think the chance to completely fail at something is absurd in most cases.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Renee
post May 27 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ May 23 2018, 07:23 PM) *

Maybe the absurdly enormous dungeons or the bugginess prevented your enjoyment of Daggerfall?

I haven't explored many dungeons in DF yet. I think I've only been in two.

My issue with Daggerfall is quests and traveling. To get a quest done in DF often means fast-travel. For some reason this bothers me ... yet in Arena it never bothered me. even though Arena also requires FT to finish the Main Quest.

I like the fact that Daggerfall is truly open-world. When I was last playing it, my character was just walking in the wilderness, trying to find locations on his map just by walking there. It's not as easy as it sounds!

I would like to see such mechanics modernized, however, in how well you do something. Restoration level has some effect on how effective certain healing spells are, smithing level affect the quality of what you forge, alchemy level affects the potency of a potion, etc. Unless you are doing something really high-level or way above your character's capacity, I think the chance to completely fail at something is absurd in most cases.

Sure I agree with this. It'd be cool if the dice-roll thing could go both ways. We can fail, but we can also have better results sometimes, depending on skill.

I don't mind making potions and having some of them fail, but when ALL of them fail.... mad.gif That's what was getting on my nerves!

Is it possible to add poison to weapons? I tried poisoning a tanto and my character merely drank the poison. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: May 27 2018, 11:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 28 2018, 12:22 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

I think there might be a few weapons with poison as a magic effect in Morrowind. But if I recall you cannot poison a weapon.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:36 PM