Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Textures and Models, Here is the thread for discussion of new models and textures
Shikogan
post Jun 30 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #41

Associate

hey on that captain cook thing and the ship endevour he wasnt eaten by natives he was speared by local aboriginies (in Australia) although iv never heard of abo's eatin people, but hey you never know.

anywho i was just gonna say that i am a 3d modeller of not very much talent but a lot of spare time to perfect my modles, and just wonderin if you guys needed some new ship models maybe of a sloop or schooner.

aanyways if ya do give us a bell and ill tell ya bout it
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
barreldragons
post Jun 30 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #42

Agent

indeed we do but building a new ship isn a slmall task are you up to the chalange?

--------------------
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 4 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #43

Retainer

alright - so this bandana is getting there... sure the normal map based on my high res isn't great, but it was a first attempt all around - only problem left to solve is dumbing down the glow quite a bit (it looks like a phong material has been applied to it), and then I need to play up the texture a bit, and dumb down the green because the texture really doesn't look like I had envisioned it. Also for some reason the texture will not load on the back tail things that stick out the back of the bandana. not quite sure how to fix this - but if I find out what the problem is, then maybe I can avoid it next time.

IPB Image

that said - the bottle is even closer to being on it's way.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 5 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #44

Evoker

Love the bandanas but i hope they don't look that shiny when they are finished. Right?
+Quote Post
barreldragons
post Feb 5 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #45

Agent

shiny! that will be good for the treasure tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 6 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #46

Retainer

hahaha

nope - that was a problem... appariently the alpha channel on your normal map decides how shiny your object is. White is super crazy shiny (which is the default colour for it, and hence why this looked shinier than santa's forehead on a summer day), and black is ... well.. not shiny. This is super neat because if the object is made from different materials *cough message in a bottle - you can have the different elements shine differently. Also - Zorro, I can now help you with textures! Horay! bit by bit I'm figuring out how everything works.

Here is the bandana as it appears in the game. Any custom colours, or designs you want on it? let me know! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

I know I keep posting this, but I really am closer to the bottle now. the bandana is essentially done. I have acouple of textures for it, and it works in the game with the normal map and everything, and even looks spiffy. sweet. However now I'm running into a couple of problems that hadn't even occured to me.

1) ears, and hair is automatically turned off when you are wearing a helmet. I'm going to see if I can assign it as a tail, or pendant to fix this. but doingthat depends on...
2)the custom scaling of heads doesn't lend itself well to the size of the bandana. there is a tool called the conformulator which helps solve this, but right now I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works (I've got some problems going on with the way that the mesh loads in a 3D program vs where it loads in the game... but I'm getting help on the TES boards in doing this. but then after that is all solved - horay! bottle time! And this time I'll bake the normal map from a photoshop file, and I'll get to play with crazybump! I might even make a custom specular map so that the light glints more along the edges of the bottle! Damn this is fun. (unfortunately school, and homework are building up again, but I'm still working on this stuff when I get the chance... I've started reading some scripting tutorials too... see what I can muck around in on that side as well).

********Texture help for Zorro*************

first off - as useful as Nifskope is, it can be a real witch sometimes - so sometimes if you've done everything right, it just seems fickle and doesn't want to work. BUT anyways. if you want to replace a texture, make sure that it is in the same directory as the .nif would be except under textures ex:

mesh/zorro/tricorner.nif

textures/zorro/tricorner.dds
textures/zorro/tricorner_n.dds

You need a minimum of two files for each object. if in the game your object comes out pink, the game can't find your texture, if it is black, it can't find your normal map, and then there were some other problems too, but they were less likely. So first off - download the .dds plugin for photoshop or gimp or whatever you are using, and install it. then when you export your file, I have found that I have less problems with nifskope if I save the file as the final filename (so not renaming it later), in the directory that I want it to be. Oblivion can only load some of the kinds of .dds files, and if memory serves me correctly DXT1 was all that you would need if you are not using an alpha map to do funky things with the mesh. *** There are two kinds of compressions for DXT1*** I have only had success with the one that has the 1bit alpha channel. I'm assuming it just means it's white, which means that ... well, it will show up in the game, instead of turning up pink or something. If you have problems with nifskope itself, just let me know - I might actually be able to help you now.

This post has been edited by heretik: Feb 6 2008, 11:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 6 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #47

Evoker

OK thats how i did it:

First i copied the mesh and the texture and the normal map and put them in a separate folder. Then i opend the the texture in GIMP and messed around a bit saved it and did the same thing whit the normal map.

But i can't figure out how to do the rest, or have i forgoten anything?

Can you send me one texture of the bandana so i can try to make my own?

This post has been edited by Zorro: Feb 6 2008, 04:29 PM
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 7 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #48

Retainer

absolutely! I just want to finish it completely before tossing it in. The bandana itself is now done, made in 5 colours, and they all deform according to how you created you character's head. I still need to make the icon, and the model for when it is dropped. I'm feeling really lazy on this project though, so I think that I'm going to skimp on that model and just do something really simple... like without bothering with a High res mesh for a normal map or anything. after that you guys can implement it however you see fit.

to do everything from that point forwards.

load up your .nif file in nifskope. if the object you are trying to retexture doesn't already have a texture, creating a texture and actually getting it into nifskope is a bit more of a bother. but if the object already has one, then you just need to click on the purple flower, and select your texture.

**special note.

your texture has to be in the exact same directory as the .nif file except under textures ex. also your texture needs to have the exact same file name as your .nif. if you want multiple textures assigned to one normal map/glow map etc. you can have your .nif be bandana_xgreen.nif, and your texture bandana_xgreen.dds, but your normal map would have to be bandana_n. The normal map, glow map, etc. only read until the underscore, and then pick up the letter after it. this means your letter after it cannot be a G, N... and I'm not sure of hte rest. to be safe, I always put an x before typing anything - and then I can type whatever I want.

ex:

/mesh/kaivai/armour/head_xgreen.nif
/mesh/kaivai/armour/head_xblue.nif

/textures/kaivai/armour/head_xgreen.dds
/textures/kaivai/armour/head_xgblue.dds
/textures/kaivai/armour/head_n.dds

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 7 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #49

Evoker

Ok but i have another problem to when i try to open the mesh in Nifskope and it gives me an error message: encountered unknown block (bhkConvexVerticesShape)
failed to load nif from file...

And some files don't show textures even tough i've changed the texture path, it's suposse to be in the texture folder were i extracted them rigtht?

This post has been edited by Zorro: Feb 7 2008, 10:42 PM
+Quote Post
hotclubfreak
post Feb 10 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #50

Associate

i haf make with nifskope a skeleton body
my first 3D pictures
but how i past this pictures here
C:\Documents and Settings\kasteelstraat\Bureaublad\oblivion\wannes 3D's\skeleton body.jpg

This post has been edited by hotclubfreak: Feb 10 2008, 10:14 AM

--------------------

OBLIVION RULEZ
+Quote Post
barreldragons
post Feb 10 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #51

Agent

open yourself a account on deviantart

--------------------
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 12 2008, 03:50 AM
Post #52

Retainer

whoa - never encountered that problem before... my only guess would be that it might be the wrong file format, but you mentioned that you checked that before... weiiiird.

As for the file sometimes not appearing - being totally blunt - nifskope can be a royal pain in the boat. I can't tell you how many times I've had to just keep reclicking the path in any of the 3 different places to try to get it to work, it will load the folder with the textures in it and everything every time, but it just doesn't always want to work the first time. once I have a texture in there, I have no problems, but loading the path can be a real pain. just try it over and over like 5 or 6 times, it's the only way that I've been able to get it to work. I know it doesn't make any sense, but ...

Finally - Everything is modeled, and textured with the bandana - which is great - except my object is floating over the ground, and I can't click on it again to pick it up. the second is really of biggest concern, I figure that if I tweak where th ebandana is on hte Z axis, then it will eventually work correctly. I took some of the bottles from in the game, and I'm going to take a look at how they treated them in order to get the transparency etc. correct, as well as see what I can do so that the message isn't a solid object inside the bottle. in a world of beautiful physics - that would just look kinda stupid, and out of place.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Spartacus
post Feb 12 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #53

Associate

So, according to the picture on Page 2.

Does that mean there MAY be a possibility of Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman popping up in the next version?
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 12 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #54

Evoker

The stranges thing is that i can load armor and clothing but nothng.
But i have some questions:

Were should i put my new textures i curently have them in a folder in my Oblivion folder?

The texture path should i have it in my texture folder were i unpacked all my bsa files?

But maybe i don't have the newest version, i don't remenber were i got the one i got now.

OK i manage to make the textures apear biggrin.gif

Everything above is working but i have another problem.

Im following a tutorial and i have made two changes to my file and saved two times the first time it worked fine but the second time my mesh turned white and i've got a error message:

texLoadDDS( "C:/the elder scrolls-Oblivion/Oblivion Files/Textures/textures/armor/mycuirassle.dds" ) : image dimensions must be power of two any idea whats wrong?

This post has been edited by Zorro: Feb 12 2008, 04:16 PM
+Quote Post
barreldragons
post Feb 12 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #55

Agent

QUOTE(Spartacus @ Feb 12 2008, 02:52 AM) *

So, according to the picture on Page 2.

Does that mean there MAY be a possibility of Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman popping up in the next version?

this topic is for texture and models only for question about the mods are the incoming one post in the discusion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 13 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #56

Retainer

Horaaaaay! Congrats on getting the texture to work!

as for the problem - I have a potential solution... I do not know what the error message means, but I am curious what size your texture is, as if it is say 513x512 maybe that is what is giving the problem? I don't know. There are set sizes that you are allowed to use, and others that you are not when you are texturing - and all of them are square, and I believe that they are all multiples of 512x512... but I'm talking out of my butt right now.

Now for the good news: I was reading up on textures, and how the game uses them, and when the texture appears pink in the game, it is supposed to mean that the game cannot find your texture, or it can't be read. Is it appearing white in the game? or pink? I am taking a wild guess here ,but I have a feeling that if it appears white that the exact same thing is happening... I guess check the size of your texture, and maybe reload it in nifskope... if it's still not working, I guess can you tell me the file name of the .nif, the .dds, the normal map? I'm just brainstorming, and I'm not sure what I can and cannot do. in the worst of cases, if you can send me the file, I'll see what I can do on my end.

haha and to answer your question spartacus - that was something I was working on for a different game that I was never able to totally get working. Also the model that I made would be a disgrace to my skill level now, and just look terrible next to the high quality models in oblivion. Unless somebody else is working on it - and they may be, I don't have anything up my sleeve. sorry man.

man - I write too much.

---

and now for an update on the bandana. !@#$ I just lost my hard drive I think, and that means I lost a loooot of data. fortunately the bandana was on my desktop, but there are other programs etc. that I need on my portable hard drive - lol blender, being one of them (a 3D program in which I have no experience, but it is free, and seems to be the one most supported by the modding community for oblivion). Anyways - it is possible to put in the physics, and collision data, I got hopelessly lost following the nifskope tutorial on it, but found another one that seems much more accurate in which you create the havok cube or whatever it's called in blender. lol again - until I can do this there isn't a whole lot else that I can do, but once I do this I will understand:

-modeling
-texturing
-normal mapping
-transparency, and (I think) specular maps
-adjusting the head/hair geometry so that it scales to custom character heads
-how the physics engine works

So in the end - it should be worth it as at that point I will reeaaaally be able to start cooking. heh. In any case, I still haven't actually played the game since I reinstalled it to mod it. maybe since I'm temporarily out of comission, I will do that for the rest of the night? or maybe I'll keep reading on how to make custom environments. 'cause that would be awesome.

This post has been edited by heretik: Feb 13 2008, 07:16 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 13 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #57

Evoker

OK i should try that. And now i remebered my other question why my new nif file dosen't show up as a nif file, it's just file, strange.
+Quote Post
heretik
post Feb 16 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #58

Retainer

just a file?

what kind of file? if you go to the folder with the file in it - click tools>folder options, and then uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, then if you tell me what the extension of your file, I might be able to help you. I have a feeling it's probably a .tri, or .obj or something... but just a hunch..

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 16 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #59

Evoker

This is really messed up. I did what you said or atleast i think i did becuase my computer isn't in english but anyway it's still just file. It's when i put my texture on the nif file and saves it then it's just file.

I forgot to add the nif extension to the file name thats why it didn't work but then another problem came upp i think it has to do with normal maps. When i put on the armor my body is turned invisible. But maybe it has something to do with alpha channels. Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by Zorro: Feb 18 2008, 05:06 PM
+Quote Post
Zorro
post Feb 22 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #60

Evoker

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!

Finaly got it to work!!!!
I was just playing around with the texture.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Zorro: Feb 22 2008, 07:40 PM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:38 PM