> What Are You Eating/Drinking?, The Tastiest Thread Around
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 07:30 AM
Post #821

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 22 2017, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 15 2017, 05:51 AM) *

Little over a week until T-day, the one day of the year I eat a traditional "meat & potatoes" type meal. As last year, my bro and I will dine at his "city's" one true American style all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant. (Its one local rival, which we preferred, went belly up.) It's one of those rare times I don't worry about health and weight and pig out to my heart's content...within reason. No dessert...I draw the line there and will not cross it.

Had a surprise visit from my bro a few minutes ago. He dropped by to let me know that, some weeks ago, he had a chance meeting with some old work mates, who invited him to T-day lunch at their home. He accepted. I can of course eat a T-Day restaurant meal alone, but have no real desire to do so, since my main reason for dining out is family commitment. I'll instead consume a can of Hormel Chili at home. Yum. (To be fair, my bro says I too am invited to eat with his old "friends," but for reasons I won't mention know better than to accept. In any case I have no interest in those people.)

Today's salad supper was surprisingly yummy. No idea why. It was no different than any other supper salad. (This was a Thousand Island Dressing night.)

A can of chili! verysad.gif Oh wait, you usually ate Chinese with your Brother on Thanksgiving anyway, didn't you? So your palate wasn't set up for a turkey feast anyway? Oh, wait - I missed your quoted post; I didn't remember you eating at a traditional American restaurant at Thanksgiving! Why didn't I remember that? I had it in my head that you and your Brother ate Chinese on Thanksgiving. embarrased.gif

Being alone on Thanksgiving isn't so bad, though. I did it last year because my son was at his gf's parent's house and no sense making all that food just for one person (and end up with the dog getting half of it because with just the two of us here it wouldn't be eaten in time to still be fresh = Boo Boo's Thanksgiving is Heaven day).

But I did have my son bring me back a plate of Thanksgiving dinner from there so I still got some turkey with dressing, cranberry sauce, ham, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie.

The hard part is, Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinners are my absolute favorite of the year to do the cooking on. I really miss the excitement of all that prepping and staging everything out so the turkey is ready to pop into the oven at 6 a.m. (an oven that was pre-heated because you spent the night baking a ham, pies, and casseroles in it) = and the aroma that fills the house Thanksgiving day and makes everyone's mouth water in anticipation of the feast.

That is what made it favorite times of the year (for me) - even growing up I remember the smell of my Grandmother's house when we walked in on Thanksgiving and Christmas = good food cooking; and you couldn't wait till that turkey came out of the oven, lol.

In my old house/neighborhood we always had a full neighborhood Thanksgiving/Christmas/and 4th of July days. We all opened our doors and walked to each other's houses with empty plates; would fill them up as we visited with each neighbor. Then some would go home to eat with their family; or those that didn't have family would park themselves at one house or another and just enjoy being a part of the day with the other families. It was Awesome.

Same thing at Christmas; but on 4th of July it was an outdoor BBQ that we all brought food for and ate outside in our neighbor's yard. Everyone brought some meat for the neighbor's huge grill; plus something extra (like potato salad; deviled eggs; etc).

There is nothing like a huge feast among friends and family; and those memories are my absolute favorites. But being without a big gathering to cook for = I am seriously considering joining Acadian in his new-age Thanksgiving ritual = having a turkey sandwich from Panara Bread and a Marie Callender's pre-made/frozen pumpkin pie to bake instead of my homemade ones = still get the flavors without the work; laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 23 2017, 07:39 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 07:46 AM
Post #822

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 01:16 AM) *

Do you folks know Alaga syrup? It’s awesome biscuit syrup. Don’t put it on pancakes, waffles, or French toast though. Too heavy.

I haven't heard of it, but I do love maple syrup on my sausage (pancakes, waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, etc).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #823

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 12:46 AM) *

Do you folks know Alaga syrup? It’s awesome biscuit syrup. Don’t put it on pancakes, waffles, or French toast though. Too heavy.

I haven't heard of it, but I do love maple syrup on my sausage (pancakes, waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, etc).

Lol, Alaga may just be a deep Deep South thing.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 23 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #824

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 07:30 AM) *

The hard part is, Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinners are my absolute favorite of the year to do the cooking on. I really miss the excitement of all that prepping and staging everything out so the turkey is ready to pop into the oven at 6 a.m. (an oven that was pre-heated because you spent the night baking a ham, pies, and casseroles in it) = and the aroma that fills the house Thanksgiving day and makes everyone's mouth water in anticipation of the feast.

That is what made it favorite times of the year (for me) - even growing up I remember the smell of my Grandmother's house when we walked in on Thanksgiving and Christmas = good food cooking; and you couldn't wait till that turkey came out of the oven, lol.

In my old house/neighborhood we always had a full neighborhood Thanksgiving/Christmas/and 4th of July days. We all opened our doors and walked to each other's houses with empty plates; would fill them up as we visited with each neighbor. Then some would go home to eat with their family; or those that didn't have family would park themselves at one house or another and just enjoy being a part of the day with the other families. It was Awesome.

Same thing at Christmas; but on 4th of July it was an outdoor BBQ that we all brought food for and ate outside in our neighbor's yard. Everyone brought some meat for the neighbor's huge grill; plus something extra (like potato salad; deviled eggs; etc).

There is nothing like a huge feast among friends and family; and those memories are my absolute favorites. But being without a big gathering to cook for = I am seriously considering joining Acadian in his new-age Thanksgiving ritual = having a turkey sandwich from Panara Bread and a Marie Callender's pre-made/frozen pumpkin pie to bake instead of my homemade ones = still get the flavors without the work; laugh.gif

mALX- you make me very jealous. I grew up in a house where my Mum hated to cook. sad.gif

Her stress level went way up whenever she entered a kitchen. laugh.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #825

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 23 2017, 03:48 AM) *

mALX- you make me very jealous. I grew up in a house where my Mum hated to cook. sad.gif

Her stress level went way up whenever she entered a kitchen. laugh.gif

WINTER WOLF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 01:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 12:46 AM) *

Lol, Alaga may just be a deep Deep South thing.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 23 2017, 01:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Nov 23 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #826

Master
Group Icon

I should have taken my brother's T-day bailing as a warning from on high (or low). I decided to lunch at the Buffet solo, remembering how good everything was last year. Well, that was then. This year, the turkey was dry and bland, mash potatoes watery, dressing and cranberry sauce bland, and no veggie I was particularly interested in. (I settled for black-eyed peas.) To be fair, the salad I made to start things off was quite good, though its tomato was no better than the tasteless tomatoes I buy at Walmart. The water tasted appropriately wet. Set me back $15.18, including Senior discount. It wasn't a bad meal, just...meh. Should I find myself in the same position next year, I'll know to count my blessings and stay home, or go Chinese.

This morning's oatmeal with banana, cinnamon and artificial sweetener breakfast was, on the other hand, yummy as always. I thought about mixing in a bit of blueberry jam to help finish off the jar before it goes bad, but am glad I didn't.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Nov 24 2017, 10:52 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #827

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Nov 23 2017, 01:31 PM) *

I should have taken my brother's T-day bailing as a warning from on high (or low). I decided to lunch at the Buffet solo, remembering how good everything was last year. Well, that was then. This year, the turkey was dry and bland, mash potatoes watery, dressing and cranberry sauce bland, and no veggie I was particularly interested in. (I settled for black-eyed peas.) To be fair, the salad I made to start things off was quite good, though its tomato was no better than the tasteless tomatoes I buy at Walmart. The water tasted appropriately wet. Set me back $15.18, including Senior discount. It wasn't a bad meal, just...meh. Should I find myself in the same position next meal, I'll know to count my blessings and stay home, or go Chinese.

This morning's oatmeal with banana, cinnamon and artificial sweetener breakfast was, on the other hand, yummy as always. I thought about mixing in a bit of blueberry jam to help finish off the jar before it goes bad, but am glad I didn't.

I had a bowl of oatmeal with a touch of brown sugar. Now I am tapping my foot waiting for my son to bring me a plate of Thanksgiving feast home from his girlfriend's family's dinner; laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #828

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 12:41 PM) *

I should have taken my brother's T-day bailing as a warning from on high (or low). I decided to lunch at the Buffet solo, remembering how good everything was last year. Well, that was then. This year, the turkey was dry and bland, mash potatoes watery, dressing and cranberry sauce bland, and no veggie I was particularly interested in. (I settled for black-eyed peas.) To be fair, the salad I made to start things off was quite good, though its tomato was no better than the tasteless tomatoes I buy at Walmart. The water tasted appropriately wet. Set me back $15.18, including Senior discount. It wasn't a bad meal, just...meh. Should I find myself in the same position next meal, I'll know to count my blessings and stay home, or go Chinese.

I had a bowl of oatmeal with a touch of brown sugar. Now I am tapping my foot waiting for my son to bring me a plate of Thanksgiving feast home from his girlfriend's family's dinner; laugh.gif

Khajiit just had a breakfast of spicy sausage and biscuits with Alaga syrup! Mmmm! Now it’s just waiting until dinner is done which we’ll probably eat around 5 or so.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Nov 23 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #829

Master
Group Icon

I had a couple of egg and cheese biscuits and a glass of OJ.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 08:00 PM
Post #830

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Khajiit just had a breakfast of spicy sausage and biscuits with Alaga syrup! Mmmm! Now it’s just waiting until dinner is done which we’ll probably eat around 5 or so.

ROFL!!! Looks like Decrepit and I influenced your morning meal with all our sausage talk yesterday, lol.

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 23 2017, 08:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #831

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 01:45 PM) *

ROFL!!! Looks like Decrepit and I influenced your morning meal with all our sausage talk yesterday, lol.

Yep!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 23 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #832

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 23 2017, 01:00 PM) *

Yep!

Well, to be honest = I've been craving sausage patties and scrambled eggs with maple syrup since yesterday too; so I'm giving Decrepit all the credit!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 23 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #833

Councilor
Group Icon

Just had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and half of a roll. *burp* Two days to cook, gone in thirty minutes. laugh.gif

I've been craving sausage, too. I made sausage with wild rice and cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast. I don't even buy sausage unless there are folks around who will eat most of it!

This post has been edited by Grits: Nov 23 2017, 10:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 23 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #834

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

I've been craving sausage, too. I made sausage with wild rice and cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast. I don't even buy sausage unless there are folks around who will eat most of it!

Interesting, wild rice for breakfast? How do you prepare this? Khajiit is guessing you aren’t using Rice a Roni or Uncle Bens.

Also, Khajiit has gotten into the beer! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! WOOOO!!!!

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Nov 23 2017, 10:44 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 24 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #835

Ancient
Group Icon

I finally got my Thanksgiving dinner 9 p.m. EST = WHEW! Turkey, stuffing, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, potato/crab salad, and a bite of mac and cheese.

The dessert was banana pudding. Everything was in quasi-Tupperware containers, so I had to discern what was what. In the dim light from the stove vent, I thought the banana pudding was some fancy mashed potatoes with mushrooms in them. So I put a mound on my plate to test it out, and poured gravy over it before heating it in the microwave (surrounded by the turkey, ham, stuffing, etc).

Throughout my sampling everything on the plate, I kept tasting a mysterious banana-ee taste. When I went to put a dob of mashed potatoes with a bite of turkey, I discovered my major error.

Other than the gravied banana pudding (that my dog Boo Boo absolutely LOVED) = everything was amazing! I think I have mentioned that my son's girlfriend is a chef: well so is her mother, it turns out. An amazing chef! It is the only time I have eaten someone else's turkey and it not be dry or tasteless; it was so good!

Okay, my favorites: The sweet potato casserole; (with the jumbo marshmallows!) the potato/crab salad was Awesome; and the turkey. The actual mashed potatoes (which I eventually found) and deviled eggs tied for 4th place. The stuffing was okay. I'm not big on mac and cheese, so only had a bite - it was okay.

The only thing I didn't like was the hot banana pudding with gravy; but Boo Boo disagrees with me on that. She also enjoyed the fat parts from the ham.

The only missing element was the pumpkin pie. I was all set for a slice of pumpkin pie when I got done eating that plate of dinner; scoured the kitchen for its hiding place = my son didn't bring any home with him. (or so he SAYS! He probably scarfed that up himself, since it is his absolute favorite pie).

Anyway, all in all = MMMMMMMMMMMM !!!!

Other than that, good long phone talks with my older son in the Army and my former neighbors (the ones that we used to share our Thanksgiving dinners with each other; now since we've all moved away from there we just talk on the phone for those holidays).

So = an Awesome Thanksgiving all the way around!

*mALX goes back to searching for hidden pumpkin pie...*

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Nov 23 2017, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Interesting, wild rice for breakfast? How do you prepare this? Khajiit is guessing you aren’t using Rice a Roni or Uncle Bens.

Also, Khajiit has gotten into the beer! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! WOOOO!!!!

rollinglaugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 24 2017, 03:26 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Nov 24 2017, 03:38 AM
Post #836

Knower
Group Icon

mALX- You are killing me now. Good thing Boo Boo helped you out there. Otherwise. Explosion. laugh.gif

Thanks for the welcome, too. Hug_emoticon.gif Great to hear that everything worked out except for the pumpkin pie!

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 24 2017, 04:14 AM
Post #837

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Nov 23 2017, 09:38 PM) *

mALX- You are killing me now. Good thing Boo Boo helped you out there. Otherwise. Explosion. laugh.gif

Thanks for the welcome, too. Hug_emoticon.gif Great to hear that everything worked out except for the pumpkin pie!

You have been SO missed !!!!!!! It is always so good to see you here !!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 24 2017, 04:21 AM
Post #838

Paladin
Group Icon

Another episode in the mischievously madcap misadventures of mALX: The great banana pudding caper! laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Nov 24 2017, 06:22 AM
Post #839

Ancient
Group Icon

@mALX
Glad you finally got your T-giving feast, albeit a bit banana flavored!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 24 2017, 10:54 AM
Post #840

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Acadian and Khajiit = rollinglaugh.gif

AND = I finally got my pumpkin pie! My son went out (to Walmart - the only place open on Thanksgiving at close to midnight) and got one of their bakery pumpkin pies; plus a Marie Callender's frozen one just in case we needed more, lol.

So Thanksgiving dinner is finally complete!

This post has been edited by mALX: Nov 24 2017, 10:59 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

81 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:43 PM