255 Pages V « < 194 195 196 197 198 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you playing?
Dark Reaper
post Mar 8 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #3901

Master
Group Icon

Back to playing The Division 1. I think the playing the Beta up to the 1st story mission is good enough to get a taste of the lay of the land. Now we just wait till next week happy.gif.

This post has been edited by Dark Reaper: Mar 8 2019, 08:48 PM

--------------------
Live and let live.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Mar 8 2019, 02:15 AM
Post #3902

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 7 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Gog.com now has the original Diablo on sale. I am downloading it now.

I really want to buy it, but is it really worth $10? Admittedly, I'm a bit of a cheapskate, but $10 seems a bit much for such an old game. Of course, some old games are still worth that much.

I always hear great things about it, and from what I've seen I think I'd enjoy it. I have a few questions if you or anyone can shed some light on it.

1) I saw on some of the GOG reviews (which are astonishingly 15 pages long already even though it was just released today and even though it was highly desired by GOG users) that the mechanics are very clunky. How clunky are we talking? There are clunky games that I've enjoyed and there are some that I just could not get into.
2) Whenever I've played a "Diablo clone," I'm never quite sure what people mean. Titan Quest and Grim Dawn supposedly fit this bill, but I found those games boring fairly quickly. Yet Divine Divinity is also called a Diablo clone and it is one of my favorite games ever. And I felt they were very different games. So what the hell exactly makes a Diablo clone a Diablo clone?
3) If I've never played it before, is it really worth $10? Although I have some historical curiosity, it is not enough for me to buy this game. But I am very interested in playing.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Mar 8 2019, 02:16 AM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 8 2019, 03:13 AM
Post #3903

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 3 2019, 06:07 AM) *

@mALX
Talk about living close to the tracks. In this less than one minute clip folks push it to absurdity!

It will be a while before I can watch the new episodes you've posted; I really want to give them my full focus and can't right now.

I did watch the above; though = I just have to ask...why? What is the point of that? If the train stopped and people got off and shopped, maybe I could see it. But to set up there just to have the train roll over the top of it = not to mention that the fruit would have to get dirt and diesel fumes all over it = urgh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 8 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #3904

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Mar 7 2019, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 7 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Gog.com now has the original Diablo on sale. I am downloading it now.

I really want to buy it, but is it really worth $10? Admittedly, I'm a bit of a cheapskate, but $10 seems a bit much for such an old game. Of course, some old games are still worth that much.

I always hear great things about it, and from what I've seen I think I'd enjoy it. I have a few questions if you or anyone can shed some light on it.

1) I saw on some of the GOG reviews (which are astonishingly 15 pages long already even though it was just released today and even though it was highly desired by GOG users) that the mechanics are very clunky. How clunky are we talking? There are clunky games that I've enjoyed and there are some that I just could not get into.
2) Whenever I've played a "Diablo clone," I'm never quite sure what people mean. Titan Quest and Grim Dawn supposedly fit this bill, but I found those games boring fairly quickly. Yet Divine Divinity is also called a Diablo clone and it is one of my favorite games ever. And I felt they were very different games. So what the hell exactly makes a Diablo clone a Diablo clone?
3) If I've never played it before, is it really worth $10? Although I have some historical curiosity, it is not enough for me to buy this game. But I am very interested in playing.

I suppose it all depends on how much $10 means to you. At this point in my life, I don't really notice spending that much. At other times, I would have had to put a of thought into spending that much. I remember Diablo when it first came out (and I shelled out a lot more for it). At the time it was exceptional. Nowadays its really nothing special. To be honest, I bought it again more for the sake of nostalgia.

I still have my old cds from when I first bought it. The same with Diablo II. It was not easy getting Diablo I to work from my old discs, and impossible with Diablo II. So I was glad for a copy that was pre-tweaked to run on a 64-bit OS.

I do not know that I would say it was clunky. It is a simple point and click game. Point and click to walk. Point and click to attack. Inventory management could be difficult as the game does not pause when you look in your inventory and move things around in it or to your 'belt', which is basically a hot-bar of 8 slots that you could assign quick keys to. Mainly you put healing and mana potions there. Then you could hit the quick keys to use them (numbers 1 - 8 of course). If you had to dig through your inventory to find a potion during a fight, there was a good chance you would get killed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Mar 9 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #3905

Master
Group Icon

Yeah I wouldn't call Diablo clunky.

Diablo clones are games that mimic a lot of Diablo's mechanics, the inventory style, drops, monster waves, etc. Go watch some gameplay and then watch Titan Quest or Champions of Norrath(PS2 Diablo clone) and you'll notice a lot of similarities in how the game plays.

I loved Titan Quest. I have it but a) I don't know if it'd run and 2) no DVD drive.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 9 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #3906

Master
Group Icon

Gah! Am thinking to create a Transport Fever Scenic Excursions episode revisiting the Fuel run from episode one. Boarded its train and made a couple of test runs to see what I needed to touch up before 'filming.' Started out redoing the bordering around some fields along the route. Redid a large pond near the tracks... though it can't be seen during the trip. Did a few minor tweeks. Made more test runs, now with a more critical eye. The more I travel that train route, the more I realize its scenery stinks. Very little beyond what I altered these past few days is presentable. If I'm to film this mess, I'm looking at days of works doing little else. Maybe a solid week or more, depending. Not sure I'm up to it. We shall see.

In other Transport Fever news, the Sittingbourne Food Delivery run I thought at last working as intended is again traveling with empty wagons.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Mar 11 2019, 02:06 AM
Post #3907

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 8 2019, 06:45 PM) *

I suppose it all depends on how much $10 means to you. At this point in my life, I don't really notice spending that much. At other times, I would have had to put a of thought into spending that much. I remember Diablo when it first came out (and I shelled out a lot more for it). At the time it was exceptional. Nowadays its really nothing special. To be honest, I bought it again more for the sake of nostalgia.

I still have my old cds from when I first bought it. The same with Diablo II. It was not easy getting Diablo I to work from my old discs, and impossible with Diablo II. So I was glad for a copy that was pre-tweaked to run on a 64-bit OS.

I do not know that I would say it was clunky. It is a simple point and click game. Point and click to walk. Point and click to attack. Inventory management could be difficult as the game does not pause when you look in your inventory and move things around in it or to your 'belt', which is basically a hot-bar of 8 slots that you could assign quick keys to. Mainly you put healing and mana potions there. Then you could hit the quick keys to use them (numbers 1 - 8 of course). If you had to dig through your inventory to find a potion during a fight, there was a good chance you would get killed.

I can certainly afford it, but I want to still be careful about spending. But I'm more concerned about it being justified depending on how much time I'll be able to give it (I've also got some backlog games, and only so much time to play them).

From what I've seen of it, it looks like Divine Divinity plays a lot like it. Similar look, similar feel, also point-and-click. Although I would use the pause key if I couldn't react quickly enough or needed to access quick menus to change weapons or drink potions. So if it's "clunky" like that, I can definitely manage because Divine Divinity, while certainly dated, was by no means a chore.

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Mar 9 2019, 04:03 PM) *

Yeah I wouldn't call Diablo clunky.

Diablo clones are games that mimic a lot of Diablo's mechanics, the inventory style, drops, monster waves, etc. Go watch some gameplay and then watch Titan Quest or Champions of Norrath(PS2 Diablo clone) and you'll notice a lot of similarities in how the game plays.

I loved Titan Quest. I have it but a) I don't know if it'd run and 2) no DVD drive.

I'm not sure what it was about Titan Quest, but it didn't click with me. That was a couple of years ago or so, though, so I don't remember why.

But Grim Dawn was sometime last year, and I got bored with it after about 7 or 8 hours. I remember that story did not interest me and there was too much loot. Like it was way too overbearing sifting through it all and reading the extensive statistics about what they all did. I think those were my too biggest issues. I don't mind having a ton of loot and a ton of enemies thrown at me necessarily (or even if combat is repetitive, provided it is fun). But Grim Dawn was over the top in those regards, IMO.

But Divine Divinity had an interesting (although somewhat generic) story, combat was somewhat repetitive but fun, and there was a lot of loot and enemies but mostly not too crazy. Overall, I felt DD played much differently than Titan Quest and Grim Dawn, yet all of them are called Diablo Clones...which makes me think that the term is overused and kind of has lost its meaning. From what I have seen, DD looks much closer to Diablo, so I think I'd enjoy it.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 11 2019, 03:03 AM
Post #3908

Mouth
Group Icon

idk if it counts as spoilers, but I am a little disappointed in what the long-awaited third ending was in Enderal, but eh, the restoration of cut content was worth it :v

I will say that I had a hard time actually carrying through and finishing the game this time, since I knew what was coming and frankly when a story gets TOO dark it makes me apathetic to it (which is why I didn't play through Enderal more than once). When I learned exactly what triggers the "secret" ending there was a point I thought it probably wasn't worth it. But I powered through anyways.

That's done. I considered playing other builds but eh....I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Unlikely, though. Probably done with the game for a long time now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Mar 12 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #3909

Master
Group Icon

I never managed to make it though Enderal.

I loved the story(though it didn't feel like one I'd play through more than once or twice) but I didn't like some of the systems changes, like how you gained skill ups. I don't buy training in Skyrim, so having to buy all those books just irked me to no end.

That said, World of Warcraft patch 8.1.5 is going live today(tomorrow for me, server's not back up till midnight) so I'll be messing around with that.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Mar 12 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #3910

Master
Group Icon

Playing the official early release of TCTD2.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 12 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #3911

Ancient
Group Icon

Mostly BATTLETECH, at the moment, with a bit of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate mixed in.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 12 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #3912

Ancient
Group Icon

I am playing Pillars of Eternity 1 right now. But I did try out a little bit of Battletech, and did an instant battle. It was really confusing, since there is no manual. The initiative system had me really scratching my head, until I figured out that it was alternating between one of mine and one of their computer's mechs. Usually. I did figure out most of how things work eventually. I won, barely. Afterward I found this guide, which sheds a lot more light on how things work.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 12 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #3913

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 12 2019, 03:12 PM) *

But I did try out a little bit of Battletech, and did an instant battle. It was really confusing, since there is no manual. The initiative system had me really scratching my head, until I figured out that it was alternating between one of mine and one of their computer's mechs. Usually. I did figure out most of how things work eventually. I won, barely. Afterward I found this guide, which sheds a lot more light on how things work.

It’s a brutal game. Even once you’ve figured out things like evasion, reserving, and morale, the computer can sometimes get lucky hits that can really ruin your day. Khajiit was playing a mission earlier in which, at first, everything was going great. My mechs were running circles around the computer controlled lance. This one kept the evasion up on all of the small fast mechs while keeping the heavier mechs back. Well, somehow the computer landed a shot from a PPC that obliterated one of the arms on Commander Qin’s Spider scout mech, even though it had 5 bars of evasion built up! That was the worst damage any of our mechs took, and there were no armaments lost when the arm exploded, but it still cost us 2 days and 30,000 c-bills to repair. Annoying!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 16 2019, 04:18 AM
Post #3914

Mouth
Group Icon

I was punched in the face by nostalgia and started playing Gex: Enter the Gecko again. Part of me wants to dig around for Tomba! and Tomb Raider as well. I'll definitely play Gex 3, though. I guess I'm in a platforming mood.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 16 2019, 04:33 AM
Post #3915

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Mar 15 2019, 11:18 PM) *

I was punched in the face by nostalgia and started playing Gex: Enter the Gecko again. Part of me wants to dig around for Tomba! and Tomb Raider as well. I'll definitely play Gex 3, though. I guess I'm in a platforming mood.

Gex! How funny you mentioned these two games! I was just talking with Renee about it earlier; and she was talking about Tomb Raider!

I miss Gex! "AAADRIIAANNN!!" (and don't forget that you can jump in the Lava at that one spot).

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 16 2019, 04:35 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 16 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #3916

Mouth
Group Icon

I dunno what that means, but I think i was just brought back to this one demo disk for the PSX that had a bunch of games on it.

The first time I played Gex as a full game was on the N64, which was USUALLY the inferior version as far as multiplatform games went in that era. This time I'm going with the PSX version, so I'm seeing a lot more features. :v (Apparently the Titanic level in Enter the Gecko is N64 exclusive? Either way, there's more levels in the PSX version)

Getting tough, tho. The camera doesn't really help with the trickier platforming parts. At least i managed to rack up 30 lives in the earlier levels.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 17 2019, 06:14 AM
Post #3917

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Mar 16 2019, 02:13 PM) *

I dunno what that means, but I think i was just brought back to this one demo disk for the PSX that had a bunch of games on it.

The first time I played Gex as a full game was on the N64, which was USUALLY the inferior version as far as multiplatform games went in that era. This time I'm going with the PSX version, so I'm seeing a lot more features. :v (Apparently the Titanic level in Enter the Gecko is N64 exclusive? Either way, there's more levels in the PSX version)

Getting tough, tho. The camera doesn't really help with the trickier platforming parts. At least i managed to rack up 30 lives in the earlier levels.

Whenever Gex was taking damage, he would yell: "AAADRIIAANNN!!" (long drawn out version of "Adrienne" = from that Rocky movie where Sylvester Stallone kept yelling that at the end of the fight).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 17 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #3918

Master
Group Icon

Transport Fever Scenic Excursions ep18 - Fuel for Dunwich REVISITED is now available for view online. It's a rather short episode during which we, as the title spells out, revisit the train route first ridden episode one. Track-side scenery has been overhauled to ep16-17 standards, though at core much remains as it was. I chose to 'film' the ride-along segment from a roof-top camera position as with episode seventeen. With this episode, unlike its immediate predecessor, excess smoke/steam is rarely a concern. In fact, it survives YT compression rather well as these things go, and can be enjoyed 1080p Full Screen.

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Mar 17 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #3919

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 17 2019, 12:14 AM) *

Whenever Gex was taking damage, he would yell: "AAADRIIAANNN!!" (long drawn out version of "Adrienne" = from that Rocky movie where Sylvester Stallone kept yelling that at the end of the fight).

lol yeah, i actually JUST got that reaction today in one of the prehistoric levels when I fell into lava (and shortly after a random WILMAAAAA while walking)

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 18 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #3920

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Mar 17 2019, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 17 2019, 12:14 AM) *

lol yeah, i actually JUST got that reaction today in one of the prehistoric levels when I fell into lava (and shortly after a random WILMAAAAA while walking)

Oh, I completely forgot about the "WILMAAAAAA!"

--------------------
+Quote Post

255 Pages V « < 194 195 196 197 198 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:41 AM