Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout music, 3, NV, whatev!
mirocu
post Mar 20 2015, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I just love the music in Fallout 3! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Of course I'm talking about the radio stations, but the regular wasteland, dungeon and town music as well. It all fit in so nicely with the atmosphere. Heck, it creates the atmosphere! It has the right feel and everything smile.gif

Nowadays I'm like so many others though, I have to have GNR playing whilst scavving the wasteland for things to shoot and things to pick up! So many good songs from the 50s and thereabouts happy.gif I never thought I'd learn the lyrics to songs like I'm Tickled Pink, Let's Go Sunnin', Crazy He Calls Me and A Wonderful Guy. Not to mention I never thought I'd sit-dance to a song with "bongo bongo bongo" thrown in it! laugh.gif

Anyways, feel free to share your thoughts about music from any of the Fallout games! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Sep 11 2020, 08:31 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 20 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Knower
Group Icon

The music score and the sound effects in Fallout 3 are great. The 50's songs are so good! That song about Johnny is the only one I like from NV. Otherwise I hate everything there. Oh no, here comes mALX..... biggrin.gif

Sometimes when I get bored with Fallout 3 (like once every 5 years) I like to add the Stalker music into the game to completely change things up. It certainly does give the whole wasteland a different vibe. And that is also the reason why I do not mod the weather in my Fallout 3. The cloudy northern sky is perfect with the Stalker tune. I dream of the north, a destroyed New York and Boston. A journey across country like those kids in 'The Stand' (Stephen King).

This post has been edited by Winter Wolf: Mar 20 2015, 01:37 PM

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 20 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

For the most part the radio station music in the Fallout games does not do anything for me. Though I do love the irony in some, like "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire". wink.gif There are a few songs I genuinely like, and I think they are all from FONV - "Big Iron", and "Ain't That A Kick In The Head". I have always thought the theme from the old tv show Paladin would have been perfect for FONV.

Ironically I do like Frank Sinatra, but I think there is only one Sinatra song in the FONV soundtrack, and it isn't one of the big ones, like "The Lady Is A Tramp", or "It Was A Very Good Year". sad.gif

The regular music is good. I am pretty sure it is Jeremy Soule again, like in Oblivion and Skyrim.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Mar 20 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Heh, well you know me Crow, I never have game music on in any game I play, except older ones like TES 1 Arena.

That being said, I actually love the music we get on our Pipboys, including the traditional music station. I forget the name of the station, but it's the one that has the "president" guy chatting on it. John Henry Eaton or whatever his name is. Normally, this sort of traditional American music just goes in one ear and out the other, but what I love is the context that this music is portrayed in.

Because traditional music (horns and such) is supposed to be played in front of people who are proud of their country. But in the context of the game, this music is being played in to people who live in complete disarray and destruction. See what I mean? I love this juxtaposition.

Sometimes when I get bored with Fallout 3 (like once every 5 years)

rollinglaugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Mar 20 2015, 04:33 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 20 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

A few years ago I thought of replacing the radio songs with more modern music. Things like Black Sabbath's Mod Rules, Metallica's Four Horsemen, and Judas Priest's Electric Eye. But it just did not feel right for the setting.

Today I am thinking old Blues songs might be just the thing though. Imagine BB King's The Thrill Is Gone. Or Nat King Cole and Unforgettable. Or Albert King's Born Under Bad Sign. Howlin' Wolf's Smokestack Lightning. While not really Blues, Frank Sinatra's My Way would be perfect I think as well. I think songs like just might fit the whole feel of the Wasteland, and work in the pre-war setting.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 20 2015, 05:03 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 20 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Mar 20 2015, 08:21 AM) *

The music score and the sound effects in Fallout 3 are great. The 50's songs are so good! That song about Johnny is the only one I like from NV. Otherwise I hate everything there. Oh no, here comes mALX..... biggrin.gif

Did someone call me?

IPB Image

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 20 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #7

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I love those squirrel pixies rollinglaugh.gif

I cannot understand why someone would mute or replace these amazing songs. But to each his/hers own and all that jazz.... biggrin.gif

I like the American songs too and for awhile I only listened to those. Pretty good melodies I think smile.gif I just prefer THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWG over Mr. Eden laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 20 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 20 2015, 12:15 PM) *

I cannot understand why someone would mute or replace these amazing songs. But to each his/hers own and all that jazz.... biggrin.gif

I like the American songs too and for awhile I only listened to those. Pretty good melodies I think smile.gif I just prefer THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-DAWWWWWWWWWWWWWG over Mr. Eden laugh.gif

Same here, but I'll listen to Eden over Agatha, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 20 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yeah, but she´s so greatful and all.. biggrin.gif

But her station is the least listened to by me. Not that I don´t like classical music but her songs are a little too much on the mood´s downside.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 20 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #10

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 20 2015, 12:15 PM) *

I love the one bit where Three Dog impersonates Eden. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 20 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 20 2015, 12:21 PM) *

Yeah, but she´s so greatful and all.. biggrin.gif

But her station is the least listened to by me. Not that I don´t like classical music but her songs are a little too much on the mood´s downside.

Yes, same here. I have done enough by risking my life to bring her the violin and sheet music; but listening to just mediocre violin music - no.

I like hearing the Dashwood and Argyle stories a LOT, they are hysterical - Dashwood seems to introduce Slavers every where he goes by throwing wild parties and inviting them to come; Argyle always saving him from someone killing him for it, lol.

Really like that little quest there too - kind of aggravating they messed up that quest by leaving the stealing mark on the safe after he gives you the key as a reward so he immediately attacks you if you use it; and even if you sneak into it, the game gives you bad karma for something you were freely given as a reward.

That should have been patched, but that whole Tenpenny Tower is messed up; whoever was in charge of developing it really fell down on the job.

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 20 2015, 12:40 PM) *

I love the one bit where Three Dog impersonates Eden. biggrin.gif

Yes; even if his impersonation isn't fooling anyone, it is funny!

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 20 2015, 06:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 21 2015, 02:30 AM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

We should just consider ourselves lucky that Dukov didn't get his hands on a radio set-up. Just imagine the clown-shoes abuse we would have had to put up with all game. Lol.

Thanks for the squirrel pic mALX. I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes. laugh.gif

My family officially thinks that I am mad.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2015, 02:34 AM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Mar 20 2015, 09:30 PM) *

We should just consider ourselves lucky that Dukov didn't get his hands on a radio set-up. Just imagine the clown-shoes abuse we would have had to put up with all game. Lol.

Oh my goddess! It would be Mr. New Vegas all over again, but worse!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 21 2015, 02:54 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

Well, I got my GNR song replacer working. I kept three of the original songs: I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire, the Jazzy instrumental (because it is the intro for the Herbert Dashwood shows), and Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall.

The other songs for Galaxy Blues Radio are:

Albert King-Born Under A Bad Sign
BB King-The Thrill Is Gone
Marvin Gaye-I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Smokey Robinson-Tracks Of My Tears
Dean Martin-Ain't That A Kick In The Head
Edwin Starr-War
Frank Sinatra-My Way
Howlin' Wolf-Smokestack Lightnin'
James Taylor-Fire And Rain
Jim Croce-Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Jimmy Dean-Big Bad John
John Lee Hooker-Boom Boom
Kenny Wayne Shepherd-Last Goodbye
Muddy Waters-Im Your Hoochie Coochie Man
Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole-UnforgetableThe Four Tops - Reach Out (I'll Be There)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Temptations - Ball Of Confusion
The Rolling Stones - Gimmie Shelter

Ok, so they are not all Blues. But Frank and Deano are from the era, and some are Motown - which is close to the era. James Taylor is one of the newest, but I think it suits the game perfectly. Kenny Wayne Shepherd is by far the most recent song, but he's as much a Blues man as he is a Rocker, and that song also works so well for the Fallout world. I have been playing this evening with Galaxy Blues Radio, and so far I am loving it.

If anyone else wants to do this, all you have to do is add your mp3s to the Fallout 3\Data\Sound\Songs\Radio\Licensed folder. It probably won't exist, so you will have to make it. Then rename your songs with the same names the game uses for its songs:

mus_billieholiday_crazy
mus_billieholiday_easy
mus_bobcrosby_happy
mus_bobcrosby_way
mus_coleporter_anything
mus_dannykaye_civilization
mus_ellafitzgerald_into
mus_generic_boogie
mus_generic_fox
mus_generic_jazzy
mus_generic_jolly
mus_generic_rhythm
mus_generic_sunning
mus_generic_swing
mus_generic_swingdoors
mus_inkspots_idont
mus_inkspots_maybe
mus_roybrown_butcher
mus_roybrown_mighty
mus_texbeneke_guy

That is all you have to do. But you can go an extra step, and use a sound editor like Audacity to flatten down the stereo tracks to a single output (mono). Then save that seperately as both an .mp3, and a .wav file, and add the _mono to the names of the new files. That gives you 3 sound files for each song, the original .mp3 in stereo, one .mp3 in mono, and one .wav in mono. Like this:
mus_billieholiday_crazy.mp3
mus_billieholiday_crazy_mono.mp3
mus_billieholiday_crazy_mono.wav

Apparently the game will use the mono versions sometimes if you have them there, to simulate circumstances where it is harder to hear the radio. But so far as I know, you don't absolutely need them. I tested this a few days ago, and the game uses the first, stereo mp3 when you play a song on your pipboy. If a song is playing on a radio set it plays one of the mono files, I am not sure which. So if you only replace the stereo mp3, you will hear your custom songs on your pipboy, but the originals on the radios out in the game world. This can be strange when you have your pipboy radio playing and there is a regular radio playing the same station. However, that is just for FO3.

New Vegas is funky. It still uses the stereo mp3 for the music you hear on your pipboy. But for radio sets in the world it plays a mono file that is in the .ogg format. So you will have two files for every song:

Song.mp3
Song_mono.ogg

I did have a lot of trouble getting it to work though. I would find that sometimes it would start a new song, and it would not play. Instead the game would slow down dramatically, so slow and choppy that it was unplayable. I knew it was the song because as soon as I turned GNR off, the game was fine again. I tried all the suggested fixes I could find, and nothing worked. Finally I downloaded GSpot (great name btw wink.gif ). I used it to check every single song file to make sure my comp's codecs would play it. All you have to do is load the song with GSpot, then at the bottom click the MS A/V button, and it will tell you if you if there is a problem with the codecs. I found 4 songs that had issues. The funny thing is, I could play them just fine with winamp. But obviously these were what was causing the bug in the game. So I opened each with Audacity, exported them as .wav files, then opened them again, and exported them as .mp3s, re-encoding them. A check with GSpot on the new files showed them fine. After that the radio in the game has played just fine.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 18 2017, 09:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 21 2015, 06:06 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Mar 20 2015, 09:30 PM) *

Thanks for the squirrel pic mALX. I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes. laugh.gif

My family officially thinks that I am mad.

Dukov! rollinglaugh.gif

Aw, I'm glad you liked my squirrel pic! Now that makes me happy !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 21 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #16

Spam Meister
Group Icon

@SubRosa - Going through all that just to replace the already awesome songs? Thanks, but no thanks laugh.gif

But whatever sails your ship biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 21 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 21 2015, 02:34 AM) *

The frightening thing is that if you watch the 'making of' videos the guys at Obsidian are praising the 'big name' voice talent and writing they have put into the game. And then when you add the worst music list in the history of gaming to it, well, the result is a dog's breakfast. Even a song like 'Blue Moon' is ruined after the 700th listen-to, something I never noticed with any of the cool songs in FO3.

3Dog may indeed be annoying, but at least he has a certain charm.

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 22 2015, 05:39 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Winter Wolf @ Mar 21 2015, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 21 2015, 02:34 AM) *

The frightening thing is that if you watch the 'making of' videos the guys at Obsidian are praising the 'big name' voice talent and writing they have put into the game. And then when you add the worst music list in the history of gaming to it, well, the result is a dog's breakfast. Even a song like 'Blue Moon' is ruined after the 700th listen-to, something I never noticed with any of the cool songs in FO3.

3Dog may indeed be annoying, but at least he has a certain charm.

I'll have to play it again to remember, maybe they just needed more music than they used so it wouldn't be so repetitive?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jan 8 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #19

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Anyone having some good tunes they like from Fallout 4? smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jan 8 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

I like most of them, but I could stand some more variety. I tend to play with the radio off, but I hear it a lot when I watch my son play.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:41 PM