Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2006-05-04 - ESRB Madness
stargelman
post May 4 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Want to hear something really silly? Ok, here it comes. The ESRB has revoked it's Teen rating for Oblivion and changed it to Mature. Why? Because someone made a mod that used a mesh that was burried somewhere in Oblivion's game files (but never used). This particular mesh is that of a female upper body. Topless. That, and because the level of violence and gore supposedly exceeds what the ESRB had expected.

What does that mean for the average gamer? Well, if you're living in the US and you're younger than 17, and your parents actually care about the ESRB rating, you might find yourself having a difficult time getting this game now. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the only consequence. From Bethesda Softwork's official reaction:

There is no nude female character in a section of the game that can be “unlocked.” Bethesda can not control tampering with Oblivion by third parties. Bethesda is taking steps to ensure that modders can not continue to hack into Oblivion’s art archives to create partially nude figures.

Now perhaps it's just me, but that last sentence sounds as if it was a good reason to worry. What exactly does that mean, prevent "hacking" into Oblivion's art files? And how is this to happen retroactively, after the game has shipped? A clarification on this issue is required, and it should come soon and from someone in charge.

BethSoft's Press Release on ESRB rating change for Oblivion

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ThePerson98
post May 5 2006, 03:26 AM
Post #2

Finder
Group Icon

So, that means morrowind should be rated M? I mean, people made nude mods for that. Better bodies simply has an option when installing for nude or not. So if you have to go do research and do a bunch of manual game modding to get nudity.

ESRB makes no sense.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stargelinho   2006-05-04 - ESRB Madness   May 4 2006, 09:59 AM
Olav   Wow. Wonder how many millions Bethesda will loose ...   May 4 2006, 12:52 PM
HyPN0   My thought? I think they said that because of goo...   May 4 2006, 12:55 PM
stargelinho   Of course, that only effects people under 17 in t...   May 4 2006, 01:31 PM
HyPN0   Only in the US?Didn't know that.Still a lot o...   May 4 2006, 01:38 PM
Foster   My concern is that, if they do install some nasty ...   May 4 2006, 02:00 PM
stargelinho   Nobody can force you to install a patch, so there...   May 4 2006, 02:06 PM
HyPN0   Which brings me to another thought...... What...   May 4 2006, 02:23 PM
Foster   Nothing to stop them putting the patch on any ex...   May 4 2006, 04:52 PM
Khajiit Overlord Rainer   Rainer wonders if the Modders will just make a new...   May 4 2006, 05:17 PM
Nottheking   Two words: publicity stunt. To be honest, I'm...   May 4 2006, 11:52 PM
FoolishOwl   Wasn't there some comment by the developers th...   May 5 2006, 01:34 AM
DoomedOne   The girls of oblivion aren't good looking enou...   May 5 2006, 04:13 AM
HyPN0   The disucsion is not about the mod.In meshes that...   May 5 2006, 11:12 AM
Duncan Frost   This is stupid.. it's like the Hot Coffee mod ...   May 5 2006, 11:53 AM
Akul   At least they didn't get the Adult Only rating...   May 6 2006, 11:32 PM
Ibis   I had read about the Nude Upper Body Female option...   May 9 2006, 12:55 AM
Nottheking   Actually, although I don't remember the prope...   May 9 2006, 08:18 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 PM