13 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Captain Hammer
post Feb 20 2011, 04:17 AM
Post #81

Knower
Group Icon

And Wrothken learns more about Mania. I wonder how he's going to enjoy meeting Syl. At least the paranoia about the walls, vs. the paranoia about the people guarding one's walls, should help him a little.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 22 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #82

Knower
Group Icon

mALX~ tongue.gif Those kinds of arguments are always fun!

Grits~ Exactly! To be unable to sleep is a shame ohmy.gif That poor man! Though too bad you can't just slip him some NyQuil....

SubRosa~ Damn Haskill always causing trouble tongue.gif I hope I got the hooka description okay...I've yet to try one

King Coin~ I'm glad you're enjoying Wrothken's trip smile.gif

Captain Hammer~ Very true. Once you've dealt with a paranoid person you can almost get used to it...that's been my experience anyway...

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Sixteen: The Lady of Paranoia

Lilitu awoke to the scent of pumpkin bread. At first she thought maybe her neighbors might've made it but it was too strong. There was no doubt it came from her own kitchen. But how? She was paranoid enough to not just lock the door, but add a chain and stick a chair in front of it. Windows were also locked tight and the door leading to the basement did only have one lock, but after hearing Dolce's ferocious barks most people would run. And why on Nirn would they make pumpkin bread in her house?

He's back... The thought came unbidden from her mind. She shook her head, trying to keep paranoia from taking over. After all, he was in prison. That and she certainly didn't tell him where she had left. And she had moved twice since then. Besides, he couldn't bake if his life depended on it.

Could have bought the bread and poisoned it... "Stop it!" She hissed, holding her hands in front of her ears, as if trying to block out the words of a ghost.

If he were here, or anywhere nearby, Dolce would go crazy. Like her sudden reaction to Capaneus weeks before, Dolce hated him with a passion. If he were to have somehow gotten past the locks, Dolce would have woken her up with her barking or at least have run in the bedroom and woken her up.

She crawled out of bed, grabbing a silver dagger that was kept behind her headboard at all times. She held it in the sleeve of her robe as she opened the door.

Silence. Not even a peep from Dolce. That was the most unsettling part. If she didn't manage to get in Lilitu's room in the morning, she always ran upstairs the moment the door opened. Her stomach started to flutter.

"Dolce," she called. No answer.

Poisoned again...

Her heart raced and tears began to well up in her eyes. He tried to poison Dolce once before. The monster. Abandoning her stealthy approach, she ran down the stairs, mental images of Dolce's dead body sprawled out on the floor, refusing to go away.

"Dolce!" She dropped her dagger at the sight of the dog.

"Woof!" Dolce looked up at her, halfway through a basket of meat. She sat, staring at Lilitu with her tail wagging and a smiling pant.

Lilitu snatched it away, ignoring Dolce's whine. "You know better than to eat food from..." She saw a basket of bread on the counter. It was still warm and smelling of pumpkin. There was a note attached.

Lilitu,

The Gray Fox is in need of your expert services. Meet him tonight at Durzum gro-Khazor's house, here in Kvatch, at eight-thirty pm.

Signed,
X

She relaxed, giving Dolce back her meat. "X" was the way that man in Anvil signed his name. Not helpful in the least. For some reason his name was always just beyond the tip of her tongue. She could remember the name of her every friend, enemy, lover, or even most acquaintances, but his... She shook her head.

She took a slice from her basket when it finally hit her. The Gray Fox himself wanted to meet with her! She grinned. She needed to find something nice to wear.

Eight-thirty came and Lilitu was a bundle of nerves. The Gray Fox, the man who she had emulated since joining the Guild years ago, wanted to speak with her specifically. She saw an Orc standing outside. "The Gray Fox is inside," he said as she approached his house.

She nodded. "Dolce, stay," she commanded.

Dolce snorted indignantly but sat on the porch anyway.

Lilitu stepped inside the house. She was taken aback when she saw him. The Gray Fox. He was a Colavian man, wearing the infamous Gray Cowl. The words, "shadow hide you" were inscribed in glowing letters down the center of the mask. He wasn't dressed in jewels or finery, as most would expect from a master thief. Save for the Cowl, he could have passed for an ordinary man on the street.

"Lilitu Serano, I presume," he said. "Have a seat, please."

She sat across from him, her heart racing. "It's an honor to meet you," she said breathlessly.

He smiled. "I am well aware of your devotion to the guild. Though I know you are no longer an active thief, I have need of your special gifts. There is an item, hidden away in a remote monastery. I need you to go get it for me. The monastery is extensive and well-guarded, so you should make sure to be well prepared. Should you succeed, I will pay you well for your services."

Her heart sank. She had been promoted over a year ago, well before her transfer to Kvatch...but how could she refuse him? It would be like refusing a favor from the emperor himself! Except Lilitu held the Gray Fox in a higher regard than the emperor. At least he did more than loaf on a throne all day, stuffing himself with suckling pig. "Of course," she said.

"Capital!" He clapped his hands together. "The monastery is called the Temple of the Ancestor Moths. It is where retired, blind Moth priests go to wait out the rest of their days.” He pulled out a map of Cyrodiil.”It’s up here, north of Cheydinhal." Lilitu tried to mask her shock at just how remote it was. "I need you to acquire Savilla's Stone. It is a large crystal with special properties that I need to gain... advantage." He handed her a drawing of what looked like a large crystal ball. "Remember," he said while she looked it over. "Do not shed innocent blood. However, there is no blood price for slaying the stone's guardians, human or inhuman. When I receive word that Savilla's Stone is missing, I will be here waiting for you."

Human or inhuman? Given it was a monastery, she hoped he simply meant some rats. Lilitu folded the drawing and the map and nodded. "I'll leave at dawn," she said. She glanced away for a moment, about to ask him a question but when she looked back he was gone. She left the house, sighing. A quick look at the map showed her that it was on the way to her family home, just a couple of miles from Cheydinhal. Oh this was going to be a long trip.

Dawn was breaking. She was already in her leather armor. It had been so long since she'd worn it, that she had forgotten how comfortable it was. It was like slipping into a second skin. Tight, but not overly so. Her favorite part about it was the plush rabbit fur lining on the inside. Not only was it incredibly soft, but it kept her toasty warm.

She grabbed a tan guar-hide sack that rested on top of her wardrobe. She crinkled her nose at the dust caked on it. "Disgusting," she said. After making a mental note to dust the house upon her return, she shook it clean and packed her supplies for the trip. Judging by the map, she would most likely reach the monastery the next afternoon, if she didn't make any detours. Detours included, extremely late next night she would reach Savilla's Stone.

"Dolce!" She called. The dog trotted up the stairs and sat, looking at Lilitu with a gleeful expression. She had obviously seen the mound of meat and rice overflowing in three separate bowls. "I need you to be a good girl while I'm gone. Don't cause a fuss. Don't eat everything at once. And for the love of all things holy, do your business on the papers. So help me if I find mess in my bed! I want you to behave for Caminda. She'll be checking in on you until I get back." Dolce's expression didn't change, save for the wagging tail. Lilitu got on the floor and held Dolce tightly, tears threatening to fall as she rubbed her cheek on her soft fur. "I love you, my baby." Dolce returned the sentiment by licking Lilitu's cheek repeatedly.

After making sure all the windows were locked and curtains shut tightly, Lilitu left. "Dolce, lock," she said, not moving until she heard the latch lock into place. She hated to leave Dolce behind, but she couldn't have her running off trying to take on bandits or worse, wild animals. Before leaving the gates, she looked back toward her house, her stomach knotting. She'll be fine, she thought. She's stayed home alone many times and everything is always fine. Besides, Caminda is trustworthy. Still, she worried. She didn't know how she would live if anything ever happened to her.

Capaneus plopped himself right at the bar, his head resting on his hands. Kirsty said yes! He couldn't believe a girl like her would actually agree to see him...then again she hadn't yet seen the inside of his house. But he bet she wouldn't care. In the week that they'd been seeing each other, he was able to tell that she wasn't like other girls. The ones that bothered him about bathing, cleaning, cooking. He snorted. That was woman's work! And boy, was she good at it!

"Need anything?" She asked.

For a moment, Capaneus could only stare. Her hair was tied back in what was once a neat bun. Now locks had escaped and framed her face. She was wearing a simple violet shirt under her apron, and it was covered in flour. Her eyes sparkled. He could tell at a glance that she loved what she did.

"Are you okay?" She leaned in with a smile. He realized his stare had gotten blank as he got lost in thought.

"Yeah!" He said sitting up and clearing his throat. "I'm just thinking."

She smiled and went to the basement for a moment. While she was gone, he sighed. What would become of her when Lord Dagon walked? He lowered his eyes. Unless she agreed to join the Mythic Dawn, she would likely die along with the rest of Cyrodiil. He wanted to spare her, but he knew Mankar Cameron would not allow it. He had been warned about consorting with the unsaved. But what was he supposed to do? He was a sleeper, not dead!

Kirsty returned with a large sack or cocoa powder and she poured it into a large bowl. The chocolatey clouds surrounded her and she sneezed a little. Capaneus sighed. Even her sneezes were adorable...

He closed his eyes. There had to be a way to save her. There just had to.

Lilitu walked down the Gold Road, head high, chest out, the very epitome of confidence. However, she was jumping at every twig's crack, wind's sigh, or animal chatter. When in the city, sure she was paranoid, but at least she could duck into alleys or even houses if needed. Out in the wilderness, she felt more than unprotected. She felt like she was a naked target and all of Cyrodiil was watching, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Going on foot was a mistake.

Looking around, it was a pretty sight. Everything was green and the sky was cloudless. Bright flowers sprung up from the ground and birds chirped merrily. It should have been calming, but it wasn't. She needed the security of walls and crowds.

As the Gold Road curved, Lilitu was able to barely make out the Waterfront of the Imperial City. She walked off the path onto the beach, staring ahead. "If only I could swim," she said aloud. She took her smooth ponytail in her hands. If she got so much as a drop on it, it would blossom into wild curls. She couldn't have that.

Though she desperately wanted to find an inn before nightfall, she couldn't help sitting down and getting lost in thought. While she certainly didn't miss living at the Waterfront, she did miss Methredhel immensely. The very thought of the Bosmer brought a smile to her face. Naughty little imp, she thought. It was Methredhel who had introduced Lilitu to the hidden world of the Thieves Guild. It had been so long since they'd seen each other, as Lilitu couldn't persuade Methredhel to join her in Anvil years ago. She understood, though. Methredhel came to the Imperial City seeking fame and fortune. She wasn't leaving until she got it.

She half considered making a quick visit, but as she'd have to go all the way to the bridge and possibly run into some people she'd rather not see, she decided against it. After all, Dolce didn't know the meaning of restraint and probably already ate up all the food left over for her so she wanted to get back quickly. Maybe she could go another time. Definitely on a caravan.

She continued onward, wishing with every fiber of her being that she had at least brought Dolce. Then she could talk to herself without really talking to herself. Breathing heavily, she figured she needed a way to distract herself. She collected a handful of flowers.

"He loves me," she said, plucking a petal. "He loves me not. He loves me, he loves me--"

A Redguard stepped in front of her. "Your money or your life." His hand rested on his hand axe. Lilitu knew only too well where this was supposed to head. Even if she gave him her money, there was always a chance of him attacking anyway in order to keep her from coming back with a legionnaire.

"Come on, wench, I don't got all day!"

He was much bigger than her and he was suited in heavy armor. Her dagger would have to get him in a weak spot to do lethal damage. Besides, she hated using it. The idea of the squish from driving a blade into human flesh always repulsed her.

She knew what to do.

She held out her purse. As he reached to snatch it from her hand, she reached around his neck, pulling him in for a firm kiss.

The Redguard was not prepared for that, nor was he prepared for the paralysis holding his body in place. Lilitu wasn't prepared for the awful taste of the man's mouth. "Oh, good gods!" She gagged, spitting on the ground.

She pushed him to the ground and knelt down next to him. She looked his axe over and stuck it in her bag and took his coin purse "Hmmm..." She said, looking inside. "Only fifteen septims? You know, you'd do a lot better joining the Thieves Guild." His armor was beaten and filthy, but looked like it was once expensive. She would have loved to strip him and sell it, but she would never be able to carry it all. She took the axe and flung it deep into the woods.

"I'm....gonna....kill....you..." He forced out with great effort.

She believed he would if given the chance. Luckily, by time the spell wore off, she'd be long gone. She dragged him into the brush to keep him from watching as she continued down the road.

She could have hugged each and every person at the Faregyl Inn. At last, people! Not as many as in Kirsty's Bakery, but enough to put her mind at ease.

Most people were already in groups at the table, either singing along with the bard or talking amongst themselves. Something each group seemed to bring up was a door.

Maybe someone busted the door down recently? Lilitu couldn't imagine why. Inns and taverns weren't hot spots for thieves. Quite the opposite, really. Making sure her crimson locks were tucked away behind her hood, she took a seat at the bar.

A Khajiit woman behind the counter approached her. After bringing Lilitu a plate of food and offering a bed, she asked, "Is the huntress here for the door?"

Lilitu raised her eyebrows. "What door?"

"It hasn't heard?"

Lilitu shook her head.

"Some moons ago a door appeared out in the water. S'Jirra has not gone to see it but many travelers come, seeking gold and fame. It has been said that they become touched by Skooma Cat and never come out the same."

She looked around and indeed most of the people in the inn were young men, each with the glow of hope. Listening closely, she could hear some of them brag about what they'll find and how nothing will tamper with their minds. They were stronger than that.

One in particular caught her eye. A young Colovian, possibly of Nordic descent. He was big and broad shouldered, with brown hair and green eyes. His shirt was untied at the top, allowing a patch of brown hair on his chest to peek out. He was delicious.

He caught her eye and approached her. "Are you in the Thieves Guild?" She asked.

He laughed. "Why, are you going to accuse me of stealing your heart?"

She shook her head. He wasn't in the Guild. He was fair game.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:43 AM

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 22 2011, 02:14 AM
Post #83

Ancient
Group Icon

Once more, I love how you described the way Lilitu could not recall the name of that man from Anvil, no matter how hard she tried!

Also again, I love the depth you put into Lilitu's relationship with Dolce. That is exactly the same way I feel about my cat.

The ones that bothered him about bathing, cleaning, cooking.
Ewwwww!

If she got so much as a drop on it, it would blossom into wild curls. She couldn't have that.
Yep, welcome to girlsville!

And again, her use of her birthsign against the bandit was just perfect!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 22 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #84

Master
Group Icon

And we see darling Lilitu Marleen yet again. I really enjoyed this tidbit from her perspective. It just makes her even more mysterious in my imagination, and that's just how I like her.

But why do I have a sinking feeling about her leaving Dolce behind? Is it because I feel the same way about leaving my own two kitties behind when I go out of town on a trip? Let's hope it's just that!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Feb 22 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #85

Master
Group Icon

Lilitu is taking an unusual way to Cheydinhal, but I can see why we would want her to hear about the door....

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2011, 04:45 AM
Post #86

Ancient
Group Icon

Edit:

Ah yes, the Italian mother who gives her son two ties for his birthday. No matter which he tries on first she says, "What's wrong, you don't like the other?"

In game I have never taken that birthsign - I have to agree with SubRosa, your use of it in the story was Awesome !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 22 2011, 05:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post Feb 22 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #87

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jacki Dice @ Feb 21 2011, 07:41 PM) *

One in particular caught her eye. A young Colovian, possibly of Nordic descent. He was big and broad shouldered, with brown hair and green eyes. His shirt was untied at the top, allowing a patch of brown hair on his chest to peek out. He was delicious.

He caught her eye and approached her. "Are you in the Thieves Guild?" She asked.

He laughed. "Why, are you going to accuse me of stealing your heart?"

She shook her head. He wasn't in the Guild. He was fair game.

I laughed when I read that. I wonder what Lilitu will think if/when she meets Wrothken. Will he be fair game by that point, or not? Can't wait to find out.

"Capital!"

Yep. She's definitely talking to the Grey Fox. Nobody else on Tamriel uses that word so effectively.

Great chapter. The dialogue is entertaining and flows extremely well. You don't tell us what thoughts are flitting through your characters' heads, you show us. Very well done.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Feb 23 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #88

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, that was some way to wake up. I’m glad he left her some pumpkin bread for the upset he caused her!

Capaneus in the mythic Dawn, aha! Of course Dolce was right about him!!

She took her smooth ponytail in her hands. If she got so much as a drop on it, it would blossom into wild curls. She couldn't have that.
Abiene would say that curly hair doesn’t want to be straight! tongue.gif

I loved Lilitu’s calm handing of the highwayman. So different from the bloodbath that usually follows his opening statement. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Feb 23 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #89

Finder
Group Icon

What I have read of this story (through Chapter 5) is FANTASTIC! goodjob.gif Which makes this post a little sad for me, because I think I am going to stop reading it for a while. I can always come back to it later. The reason is that I have never played the SI expansion, and the spoiler factor is weighing on me. I do hope you will understand, but I want to see SI for the first time and not know what to expect. I look forward to returning this great writing in the not-to-distant future.

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Feb 23 2011, 07:50 PM

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Feb 28 2011, 04:39 AM
Post #90

Knower
Group Icon

SubRosa~ That feeling with Dolce is easy to recapture. All I've got to do is look at her picture or think of what I would do with Melaina ♥ And would it be girlsville or curlsville? tongue.gif

haute ecole rider~ Ohh not to worry, Dolce is a tough cookie smile.gif

King Coin~ Well, ingame, I had her go this way. Its up the Gold Road, then the lower half of the Red Road then up the Blue Road to Cheydihal. It may be the way the roads all point to the Imperial City.

mALX~ Thank you! Its my favorite one to use, as its gotten me out of quite a bit of trouble at times

Captain Hammer~ By Lilitu's standards Wrothken is indeed fair game so long as he doesn't join the Thieves Guild... He may want to consult a certain other blond Nord about sleeping with Dunmer women before he acts though. Seems they have a tendency to wear people out! tongue.gif

Grits~ Dogs are like that. If they just do not like someone, I've noticed there may be a reason for it. And oh I can attest that curls do not want to be straight! They're about as stubborn as a certain Nord...

TheOtherRick~ I understand completely ♥ In fact SI's ending is quite a twist so I wouldn't want to ruin it for you ♥

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Seventeen: Heading Home, Part One

Lilitu awoke with the arm of the Colovian draped over her chest. She gently moved it so she could sit up. She silently dressed and took her bag. As she opened the door, he awoke.

"You leaving?" He asked.

Lilitu turned. "Yes, my dear Jodin. Duty calls."

"Duty calls?" He echoed. "What are you, in the Fighters Guild?"

Lilitu smiled. "Sure," she said with a wink.

When she entered the washroom, she lowered her hood and loosened her hair so she could recomb it. She sighed a little feeling the slight grit and slickness of unwashed hair. She supposed it could wait a bit longer. It wasn't like she was heading out for a date. Then again, she hadn't been looking last night either...

"N'chow!" She swore, noticing that she had forgotten to bring her make up with her. "Wonderful," she said, slinging her bag over her shoulder. "Gods, I've been out of practice for far too long." She looked at herself in the mirror and pressed her lips together and pinched her cheeks until they were slightly reddened. Of course, that wouldn't last all day. She decided to buy some lipstick and maybe some khol once she reached Cheydinhal. Sure, she was just going for another long walk to her destination, but there was something about a coat of lipstick that made her feel better. Not to mention it kept her from habitually licking and biting at her lips. She didn’t want them chapped, which would only cause her to lick and pick more. It was a cycle.

She left the inn, purposely avoiding the gorgeous eyes of the Colovian boy, who was eating breakfast. As much as she would have enjoyed a morning delight, she needed to be on her way.

The sun was high when Lilitu reached Cheydinhal. It was her favorite place in all of Cyrodiil. The buildings were elegant with their white walls trimmed with burgundy and straw roofs. Best of all, there was a romantic river in the middle of the city. Many couples spent weekend afternoons having picnics and during the summer, several weddings took place on the banks. Ever since she was a child, she had sworn her own wedding would take place there as well.

Across the river, she headed for her grandparents' shop, Little Vvardenfell. Even from afar, she could always point it out. It was the only store that always had a steady flow of mainly Dunmer patrons.

Her grandfather was the first one she saw. He was on the yard, sawing some wood for what looked like a cabinet. Her heart sank as he had noticeably aged since she last saw him. His bald spot had gotten more prominent and the stubborn brown patches of hair around his temples were finally giving into the silver the rest of his hair had become. His face, even though he was relaxed, was creased deeply with wrinkles. When elves began showing signs of age, they were really old.

She approached cautiously, not wanting to startle him, especially while sawing. When he saw her, his eyes lit up and he hugged her warmly. He stepped back, taking a good look at her. She couldn't help but smile. He made several signs with his hand. She had never learned all of his signs, but she got the drift of what he was communicating.

He looked toward the back door to the shop and called out. "Mamamamama!"

A chorus of snickers caught her attention. A group of boys pointed and laughed at the old man. A flash of anger swept over Lilitu. She balled her fists and was about to go see what exactly was so funny, when her grandmother came out.

Mindyne was a large woman dressed in a bold red blouse with black and gold trim and a deep red skirt that swished when she walked. Her dark brown hair was stylishly flipped at the edges.

"M'ija!" She said, wrapping her arms around Lilitu. She leaned into her ear, whispering, "Ignore those s'wits. Just come in and we'll talk inside."

Lilitu glared at the boys, who were imitating her grandfather's call. She was near trembling with anger.

As Lilitu was led into the store, her anger vanished almost instantly. Though she had only known Morrowind for five short years, the very scent of the store filled her heart with a burst of comfort and home. The shelves were lined with bottles of matze, shein, greef, jars of scrib jelly and kwama cuttle, and even a few bottles of Telvanni Bug Musk. Boxes holding ash yams, hackle-lo leaves, marshmerrow, saltrice, racer plumes, scrib jerky, sat in neat aisles. Chitin shields bearing the crests of the great houses sat along the walls. A flag decorated with a scarab beetle, the symbol of House Redoran, proudly hung above the counter.

Mindyne sat down in a cushioned chair, sighing loudly. "Those boys are nothing but trouble, M'ija." She shook her head. "Your cousin got into a bit of a scuffle with them the other day over the things they say about your grandfather."

Lilitu gasped. "With all of them? Is he okay?"

"He's fine, you know him. He may be little, but he's smart. He could grow up to be head of the Fighter's Guild one day. Unfortunately for us, one of them is that fetcher, Ulrich Leland's son. Guess who got a five hundred septim fine over it."

Lilitu's jaw dropped. "Five hundred? Are they insane?"

She nodded. "They've been fining like crazy around here. It’s ridiculous. And does the count care?" She huffed. "As long as he has his suckling pig on the table, he doesn't give a damn." She looked outside for awhile before saying. "By the way, how is your store doing?" She said, obviously wanting to get off the subject.

"Good," Lilitu half-lied. "That's actually what brought me here. There's an item up north that a customer would like."

She shook her head. "Why don't you hire someone else to go get it for you? The roads are no place for a young lady." Lilitu silently agreed. What with all the marauders and bandits on the road, it was no place for anyone, really. "Or, better yet, why don't you open a general store like this one? People can still order whatever it is they want from you but then you'll have a steady flow of gold. I worry that you'll run out between orders."

"Well, actually, I don't normally go get orders anymore. It's a...special request."

"Hmm..." She said, still disapproving.

"Trust me, I'm doing fine."

"I know, M'ija, but I worry, not just for the money, but for you. You're all alone out there, all the way in Kvatch. I don't know why you didn't just stay in the Imperial City or move back home."

"I'm not alone, grandma. I have Dolce."

She snorted. "You have the dog still? Aren't you ever getting rid of her?"

"Never," she said defensively. She could understand not liking Dolce. The dog didn't seem to care much for Mindyne either, but she couldn't grasp why her grandmother was so vehemently against her.

"By the way," She said flatly. "Whatever happened to that young Imperial you were....seeing?"

Lilitu's insides went icy for a moment. She hated discussing him, especially with her family. "We broke up years ago. In fact, he's going to be serving time in the Imperial City prison for awhile. It’s one reason why I moved from there."

"Hmph. Good, I'm glad you're rid of him, M'ija. I was worried you'd actually marry him. Could you imagine?" She leaned in, lowering her voice. "What if you'd had kids with him? You turned out lucky, being able to pass for the most part, I suppose, but you've seen the teasing your brothers get for being obvious half-breeds. Not to mention what it’s cost this family..."

The ice inside of Lilitu turned to a quick fire. She hated that term. Yes, her mother was an Imperial and in the eyes of the census, Lilitu was as well, since children were marked down as the race of the mother. However, in looks, in culture, in her heart, she was was a Dunmeri woman. A whole person, mixed blood or not. Certainly not an animal that could be bred. Besides, it wasn’t her fault the traditionalists in House Redoran despised her father’s choice in marrying an Imperial and showed it. She certainly didn’t ask for it! Though Mindyne didn’t say it directly, Lilitu was always vaguely aware of the resentment held towards her birth. She took a sharp breath, wanting to say something when her cousin entered the store.

The boy grunted in greeting, heading straight up the stairs.

"He must still be angry," she said, forgetting the previous subject.

"Can't blame him," Lilitu said.

"You know the worst part? The fetchers that started this whole thing got a slap on the wrist. Three nearly grown men picking on a ten year old who just wanted to defend his deaf grandfather. Where's the honor in this place? I'll tell you, it’s in their pockets! So help me, if it wasn't for your brothers living practically by themselves in that secluded hole your father insisted on building, I'd pack my things and head back to Morrowind!" She stood up, as more people entered the store. "Why don't you go talk to him? Maybe you can offer some comfort."

Lilitu nodded. "I'll see what I can do," she said.

Mamisi sat on his bed, staring out the window. Lilitu couldn't see his face, but she could tell he was fuming. She sat next to him.

"It’s not fair," he said. "It’s because he's the captain's son. That's why he didn't get in trouble." He looked up at her. "And I heard Mama talking to Grandma... they don't know how they're going to pay for it. If they don't," his large red eyes welled up. "They might lose the store!"

Lilitu placed her arm around him. He was right. It wasn't fair. It was infuriating...but she had a plan. "Come on. Why don't you show me where those fetchers live?"

The following morning, the screams of three young men pierced the air, followed by those in their households. Not only had they been robbed, but each young man woke up with a knife planted firmly into their pillows, right beside their heads. Each knife held a note:

I could have easily done it. Leave the old man alone, or next time you will wake up in the void of Sithis.
Sweet dreams.

Though it was unheard of for the Dark Brotherhood to leave warnings instead of corpses, the Sithis warning left little doubt to who it had been. The Count insisted that crimes relating to the Dark Brotherhood be prosecuted if caught, but it was all talk. Nothing more, especially if it involved anyone seen in that supposedly abandoned house. Since there was no one to prosecute, Leland could only heed the note and move on. The boys didn't speak of it to each other, but they each knew they had all received the same warning. From then on, they wouldn't so much as look at the deaf old man without a chill running down their spines.

Meanwhile, a plump sack of gold sat on the counter of Little Vvardenfell. There was no note attached, but somehow, Mindyne knew that when she counted it out, she would find five hundred coins inside.

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:44 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 28 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #91

Ancient
Group Icon

I just love seeing the girls play.

So Liltu's morning after was not too awkward I see. Although she did forget her makeup! ohmy.gif Her homecoming to Cheydinhal was sweet. I especially liked the addition of Little Vvardenfell.

Plus you gave us a wonderful introduction to the Corruption quest in Cheydinhal, including Ulrich Leland's son as a bully and bringing Liltu's family into it. Liltu's solution to the immediate problem of them losing their store was wonderful, especially the touch of the note with Sithis mentioned. An excellent way of sidetracking the fetchers.

nits:
She sighed a little{,} feeling the slight grit and slickness of unwashed hair.
I think you meant for a comma where I inserted it above.

The buildings were elegant with their white walls trimmed with Burgundy and straw roofs
I think you meant for a lowercase burgundy there?

Chitin shields baring the crests of the great houses sat along the walls.
The Grey Fox heisted your 'e' in bearing.

We broke up years ago
He snatched the period at the end of this sentence too! Stop Thief!

The Count insisted that crimes relating to the Dark Brotherhood be persecuted if caught.
I think you meant criminals? That should also be prosecuted - taking one to court for a crime, rather than persecuted - which is doing nasty things to groups of people.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 28 2011, 04:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Feb 28 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #92

Master
Group Icon

Loved this latest installment. Lilitu is turning out to be quite the character! I loved meeting her grandparents and her cousin - he reminds me so much of Midave Sendal - small but tough and determined to fend for himself.

While Lilitu's plan of warning is a bit over-the-top, it is perfect for the target audience. Boys love nothing more than big, dramatic gestures. I was a bit surprised to see that Ulrich had a son though - in game he never struck me as being the family man type. But you made it believable, and that's what matters.

Great job!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 28 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #93

Ancient
Group Icon

Lilitu has her own way of handling things that is really interesting - and have to agree with SubRosa - Loved the addition of Little Vvardenfell !!

Another thing SubRosa beat me to - Love the way you slipped in background for Leland's corruption quest - Awesome chapter !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Mar 1 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #94

Master
Group Icon

Alright an update! Nice to see Lilitu taking care of business in Cheydinhal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 1 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #95

Councilor
Group Icon

Wow, Lilitu really gets it done!! It seems she has a complicated family. I’m intrigued by her brothers’ living situation. I love your description of Cheydinhal. It’s so pretty! I can picture the outdoor weddings and the bridges all decorated with flowers. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Apr 9 2011, 03:37 AM
Post #96

Knower
Group Icon

SubRosa~ If only Lilitu had more time, then maybe she could have worked with Llevanna and come up with a fitting punishment.

haute ecole rider~ Well, originally it was Leland's son, but some other guard...but I wanted to tie in the corruption in Cheydinhal and he was a good fit.

mALX~ She certainly does, and its not always the most legal way in the world, but it gets the job done wink.gif

King Coin~ smile.gif

Grits~ Complicated indeed, but aren't all families to some degree? smile.gif

Everyone~ I'm sorry its been so long. I got burnt out on it and once I was ready to continue writing, I got writer's block! Here's the update ♥

~~~~~♥~~~~~

Chapter Eighteen: Heading Home, Part 2

Lonely. Secluded. Isolated.

Words that should never describe the warmth and comfort of home, yet Lilitu could think of no other ones as she headed up the path toward the Serano Manor. It was three miles north of Cheydinhal and a mile away from the nearest neighbor.

She wanted to go get Savilla's Stone before going to visit, but her plans changed when a small figure came running toward her. It was almost like a black-clad skeleton with a head of unruly, dark brown curls.

"LILITUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

She couldn't help but smile. Relemus caught her. She would have to stay for at least a little bit.

She remained in place with her arms out as the young Dunmer crashed into her. She wrapped her bony arms tightly around her waist. Lilitu smoothed her hair, smiling softly. "I missed you too. Have you been behaving yourself?"

She looked up at her older sister with impish brown eyes, her smile not even trying to hide. "Maybe," she said.

"Maybe," Lilitu echoed. "I see..." She attempted to run her fingers through her curls, but was halted by knots. She frowned. "When was the last time this was brushed?"

She shrugged and looked around. "Where's Dolce?"

"She's at home."

"Oh." Her face fell, her eyes lowering to the ground. "So you're not moving back?"

Lilitu sighed, kneeling to the ground. "I know you don't understand now, but eventually everyone moves out and starts their own lives. It’s what adults do."

Her brows furrowed. "Then why hasn't Titi moved out of Grandma's house?"

She blanked. Relemus did have a point. "Come on, let's go see Vardas," she said, changing the subject.

Lilitu crinkled her nose at the sight of the house. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days! Dirt and muddy snow was tracked from one side of the house to another, stamped with footprints, large and small, and paw prints. Stacks of books sat in disarray on the table and on the floor, one dangerously close to the roaring fireplace. The Redoran flag, their father's pride and joy, hung crookedly above the mantle. Dishes were everywhere and a pile of animal bones remained by a dog bed. "What happened? Did a drunken troll run through?"

"No," Relemus said, bounding up the stairs.

"Where's Mama?"

"Chapel."

Of course. Lilitu buried her face in her palm. Where else would she be? "And Papa?"

"He left for Morrowind a few days ago."

"So its just the two of you, then?"

"Yeah." Relemus stopped at a door and began pounding on it, unnecessarily loud. "Hey fat fetch! Quit choking your chicken, and get out here!"

Lilitu's jaw nearly dropped. Was her mother insane, leaving the two of them alone together?

The door burst open, Vardas like a giant with his fists up, ready to knock Relemus into a wall. He was a large man, and his gut spoke of a love of sweet rolls. He face was much rounder than common Elves, though it was just as likely that was due to his mixed heritage as it was from his weight. His eyes, chocolate brown like his younger sister's, were blazing with rage. His wild look was matched by near-black curls tied back in a long, messy ponytail. Luckily, Relemus was quick enough to slip out of reach of his swing.

"Ahem!" Lilitu cleared her throat loudly.

Vardas dropped his fist and smiled. "Oh, hi Lilitu."

She sighed exasperatedly. "Relemus, apologize for that."

"What?" Relemus folded his arms. "It’s true! I caught him reading a dirty book and his hand was on his pants!"

Vardas went lavender, though Lilitu could tell it was more out of embarrassment than anger. She pinched the bridge of her nose. "I don't care and would rather not hear about that sort of thing. You've been told about making fun of his weight, haven't you?"

"Yes.... Sorry Vardas."

"And you," she looked at Vardas. "Do be a little more discreet for goodness sake!"

Relemus stifled a laugh, clapping her hand over her mouth as her older brother and sister cast her glares.

Vardas looked back into his room. "Saint, come here, boy!"

A large black dog with a white muzzle and white going down his chest came running down the stairs. He jumped onto Lilitu, sniffing her, then licking his nose. Lilitu smiled and scratched his ears. "Oh, what a good boy! Though I see someone needs a diet!"

"He's not the only one..." Relemus muttered.

Vardas responded with a swat on the head. "Aren't you supposed to be practicing?"

Relemus sank. "Yes..." He groaned.

"Then get to it!"

Muttering strings of swears under her breath, she went down to the basement.

Lilitu cleared a pile of wrinkled clothes from the couch and she sat down. "I see not much has changed."

Vardas didn't bother moving the clothes. He plopped right on them. Lilitu was about to say something, but stopped herself. They weren't her clothes after all. Saint curled up on top of them, his head resting on Vardas' lap. "Nope. Mama spends all day at the chapel and when she gets home late at night she's up in her room buried in Lessons of Arkay." He rolled his eyes. "She still quotes that damn book every chance she gets! Sometimes I just want to toss it in the fire but it would do no good. She's got it memorized!"

Lilitu sighed deeply, looking up at the wall where a portrait of the Divines hung proudly. It was the only one in the house that wasn't crooked, caked with dust, or both.

"Papa is still making deliveries for Grandma's shop," Vardas continued. "Ever since you left he's been home more often, just to make sure things don’t get too out of hand. Relemus never listens to me anymore. Of course that means he can't pick up as much so it limits the money the shop makes. Not by too much, but enough for mama to complain. She says it’s your fault."

"Oh? My fault?" Lilitu said through clenched teeth. "Of course. Everything bad that ever happens around here is my fault. And I bet she wonders why I never come to visit."

"She says it’s your pride."

"Oh yes," she said her cheeks flushing. "Never mind that every chance she gets she has to start a fight. Or that she always has to throw everything in my face." She folded her arms, willing her heart to stop pounding.

"So what brings you up here, anyway?" Vardas asked, sensing that it was past time to change the subject.

"Gray Fox wants me to get something called Savilla's Stone." Lilitu leaned back on the couch. "It’s in a monastery up north."

"I thought you were a fence."

Lilitu smiled. "I am...but the Gray Fox asked for it in person."

Vardas gasped. "You actually saw him?"

She nodded.

"Did he have the Cowl?"

"Of course he did!"

Vardas suddenly sprang to life. "Lilitu, do you even know where he got it?"

She raised an eyebrow. "He stole it from Nocturnal, didn't he?"

Vardas nodded his head. "It’s an actual Daedric artifact!" He paused, calming down some. "Then again, I'm not sure if that one would be a good one to have. She cursed it, you know."

"What do you mean?"

"You see, whoever wears the Cowl no longer exists."

"What are you talking about? Of course he exists! I saw him the other day."

"No, no. He exists in the physical sense, but that's all he is. When he takes off the Cowl, he is no one."

"Of course he's no one. He wouldn't want to stand out."

Vardas sighed. "Lilitu, I mean he is no one to anybody. His wife, his kids, his own parents won't know who he is, even when he's not wearing the Cowl. Its like he never existed. He could stand in front of his wife with his name written above him in flames and still nothing. She would have no idea who he is. The curse wipes whoever wears it from history."

Lilitu looked down. "My goodness...." She looked back up at Vardas. "And to think at one point I wanted that Cowl." She chuckled a little. "I had little daydreams of swiping it from him and gallivanting around Cyrodiil, even robbing the Emperor..." She didn't include the part of the fantasy where she was subdued by a handsome guard and taken to be locked away, though not in a jail cell. She smiled, thinking about it. When she saw Vardas staring at her she cleared her throat. "Anyhow, it hardly seems worth it."

"Lilitu, I'm done," Relemus returned to the living room. Her plump cheeks were faintly violet.

"Done with what?"

"She's supposed to be practicing her fireball," Vardas said.

"Oh. Can you do it?"

She pursed his lips and looked away. "Not really." She sat on the couch, like Vardas, on top of the clothes. "Fetch it."

"Do you talk this way in front of Mama?"

"Are you kidding?" Relemus asked with wide eyes. "She'd kill me!"

"Alright, now let's see if we can help you with the fireball."

Relemus groaned loudly. "Do I have to?"

"It’s the law. Everyone had to learn it, just like everyone has to learn to heal themselves. You can't always count on weapons and potions to keep you safe."

This post has been edited by Jacki Dice: Dec 23 2019, 07:45 AM

--------------------
Nemesis

We are rising together
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Apr 9 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #97

Master
Group Icon

Welp. I didn't think one could be racy and still be PG-13, yet somehow you pull it off so flawlessly.

Choking a chicken? blink.gif

Subdued and punished by a handsome guard? Would that handsome guard happen to be Savlian Matius? Oooh, now my inner editor's getting jealous! wink.gif

So learning the flare and the heal thyself are required by law? Like a license is required for driving?

I'm liking Lilitu more and more. Her interactions with her brothers are delightful and fun to read.

Glad to see more of her (and of your writing)!

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Apr 9 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #98

Master
Group Icon

YAY! To be honest I thought this story died. I so happy to be wrong! Well done

--------------------

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 9 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #99

Ancient
Group Icon

I wonder if the Serano's nearest neighbors are the Rugdumphs?

I nice, quiet visit home for Liltu! Well, maybe not nice, or mostly quiet. I loved the pigsty the place is, and the whole dysfunctional nature of her family. It is no wonder Liltu wanted out.

A nice bit of background on the Cowl of Nocturnal, and its curse. I wonder if Liltu will want to finish the Thieves Guild questline now!

nits:
Hey fat [censored]
The [censored] does not look very good. I know you want to use a stronger word than the forum allows. I suggest using a ES term, like n'wah, or s'wit. That bypasses the swear filter, and adds some setting-friendly flavor at the same time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 11 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #100

Ancient
Group Icon

Great lead in for the Savilla's Stone quest in this chapter !! I have to mark this chapter as one of my faves due to the completely natural and believable dialogue - Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:40 PM