Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
mirocu
post Dec 27 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I´m just being Curious George here biggrin.gif

As you know I don´t play Skyrim and since I´m not a main quest kinda guy I probably wouldn´t do this one anyway. But out of you guys, who hasn´t done it yet even once?

smile.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Dec 27 2013, 12:01 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 27 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

I end up doing it most playthroughs; I like fighting dragons, the Shouts are epically fun and it has some really cool moments here and there. It seems to me that the main reason most people don't do it are because they don't like dragons, but as I quite enjoy those fights I don't really have any reason not to do it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post Dec 27 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Haven't beaten Alduin yet. Khan'll get around to whooping some World-Eater bum sooner or later.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 27 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Of course I’ve done it! I’m far too curious to skip big chunks of content, no matter what people say on teh interwebz. I still trust my own judgment the most. tongue.gif

As it happens I love Skyrim’s MQ. Even my characters who are not Dragonborn start the MQ just to get dragons in their games. The only exceptions are my early Fourth Era crew, and I’ll probably give them some dragons to play with some day, too.

I must say that dragons are much more fun for me with the subwoofer making the floor shake and the big TV lighting up the whole room with fire. Dragons on my laptop are not quite as exciting. Skyrim’s MQ is probably what will finally push me to hook my PC games up to the sound system and TV.

Also the UPS guy just came, and I’m pretty sure he brought my new headphones. hehe.gif That could change everything!!

Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin!!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 27 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Just wanna throw this out there, I´m not against any MQ in TES games. I just often have too much other things to do biggrin.gif
Though I must say since Oblivion I´m afraid wrong things will be destroyed and wrong people killed. Like the Mages Guild in Bruma, I´d hate to see that place and its people go.

But good thing that not all gamers think like me! Imagine all the work with the MQ go to waste because no one wants to start it! rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 27 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

I have still never done it, and have gone so far as to start using my own custom alternate starts so I never have to do any part of it.

I think Todd Howard is afraid that people won't do the main quest, and that is why Skyrim makes such an effort to push you into doing so. Once you were out of the Tutorial in Oblivion it was easy to ignore it, and once you were out of the Census and Excise Office in Seyda Neen in Morrowind it was even easier. Heck, in Daggerfall you could ignore the main quest even in the tutorial dungeon! But in Skyrim you cannot get into Dragonsreach without being pushed into more of the main quest, and you cannot buy the house there until you complete that part. Likewise, you cannot do either side of the Civil War without doing that part of the main quest as well.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 27 2013, 08:26 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Dec 27 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #7

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Wow. And I thought Oblivion was bad with its "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO HURRY AND DO THIS NOOOW!!!" Too bad the Skyrim MQ limits even what houses you can buy blink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 27 2013, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 27 2013, 11:26 AM) *

Wow. And I thought Oblivion was bad with its "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO HURRY AND DO THIS NOOOW!!!" Too bad the Skyrim MQ limits even what houses you can buy blink.gif

Skyrim goes as far as to limit how much of the game itself you can access without doing the Main Quest. Not okay as far as I am concerned, and impossible to mod out because of how many interconnections would get severed.

As far as I am concerned the MQ in Skyrim, at least up to the part where you fight your first dragon, is mandatory. Only after that are you truly unbound and able to do whatever you want.

This isn't the only time you have you choices of how to play the game made for you, either. Skyrim has an extremely bad habit of making you feel like you have a choice but in reality you don't. Take the Companions questline, for example, either you become a Werewolf or you are barred access to doing work for the guild. Or the Thieves Guild, where you must sell your soul to Nocturnal otherwise you can't finish the questline.

Bethesda is taking a lot for granted with Skyrim based on how people play. They are slowly moving toward the demographic that does everything one one character, which if the continue is going to bite them later on when the replay value of their games starts to drop.

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Dec 27 2013, 08:27 PM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 27 2013, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 27 2013, 01:26 PM) *

That is how all of the quests in Skyrim are, not just the MQ. They even go so far as to automatically start the next quest in a questline the moment the one you are currently doing is finished. So no one can forget that "You must do this now or else!" There is no waiting around for the Grey Fox to contact you for your next heist. No traveling to Cheydinhal or Anvil to see if the FG has a new contract. Not even going out and getting a little experience before going back to talk to Caius Cosades about what to do next.

Not only is it annoying, but given how short the questlines are in Skyrim, the way the game pushes you to get them done right away means you can blow right through them in no time at all.

What is even worse is the way that Skyrim pushes you to do every questline with one single character. Often completely unrelated quests or tasks are tied into one another. For example, to complete the Gaulder Amulet side quest, you have to join the Mages College and start its questline. Because one of the amulets you need is in a dungeon that is only accessible by doing the College questline. It is like that with the word walls for dragon shouts (which I don't give a crap about personally, but I know other people like those things), the dragon priest masks, etc...

While you are not forced to do it by the game, the main quest itself strongly hints that you have join the Mages Guild and Thieves Guild in order to complete it as well. In one case you are told you have to go down into a place run by the TG, and are told that joining them is your best option. In another you are told to go to the College to ask about the location of a lost scholar (and the only way you can even walk onto the grounds is by joining. It is not like Oblivion where anyone could walk into the Mages Tower and talk to Raminus or Bothela.) You can metagame and ignore what the NPCs tell you, and just go straight to where you need to go. But then you are relying solely upon your knowledge as a player, rather than roleplaying.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 27 2013, 08:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 27 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Arrgh. I'm so used to seeing mirocu pull up or start Oblivion threads I just assumed I was in the OB forums.

Voted "Yes" when I should have voted "No", I still have not done the MQ. Can't change my vote, apparently, but it's okay. I am in the process of doing the MQ and within a couple months I should have it done, or most of it done.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 28 2013, 12:02 AM
Post #11

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I've done the main quest only once. After that I refused to progress to the point where the dragons start appearing. I actually found the main quest pretty good but the Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLC's to be more enjoyable to be honest. They also clarified a few mysteries like what happened to the falmer and added to the vampire lore extensively.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Renee
post Dec 29 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #12

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Dec 27 2013, 06:02 PM) *

. They also clarified a few mysteries like what happened to the falmer and added to the vampire lore extensively.

Yup yup. Yes, it's pretty neat learning about the snow elves (Falmer) as the DG questline nears its conclusion.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 31 2013, 03:53 AM
Post #13

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee Gade IV @ Dec 29 2013, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Dec 27 2013, 06:02 PM) *

. They also clarified a few mysteries like what happened to the falmer and added to the vampire lore extensively.

Yup yup. Yes, it's pretty neat learning about the snow elves (Falmer) as the DG questline nears its conclusion.

I also found the Dragonborn questline to be excellent. I was just glad a little light was shed on the whole thing and of course we got to visit another daedric realm. Mostly though I think that it was the return to a familiar (if only slightly) place that has been severely altered due to the actions of our characters from Bloodmoon's questline and the destruction of Morrowind.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
ThatSkyrimGuy
post Jan 12 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

I have not completed the MQ in Skyrim, nor in Oblivion for that matter. I did complete it in Morrowind, which is the first ES game I ever played. The odds are high that I will complete it eventually in Skyrim. After that, I'll probably buy the DLC and check them out. Then perhaps I will revisit Oblivion and all of its DLC as well.

--------------------
A Question of Fate is my Skyrim Fic
+Quote Post
PhonAntiPhon
post Mar 9 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

Have not done, never planning on doing it, have implemented a mod to ensure that I cannot even accidentally do it!

--------------------
Settled in Breezehome - (Mostly)
+Quote Post
Vital
post Mar 9 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

None of my characters so far have finished the MQ, but Ravos is nearly there. I imagine when I start playing him more again, after he's passed to 4e 202, he'll get it done. I had one other character who had went down but died midway through the questline...

Most of my characters stop before Bleak Falls. To me that's the best place to leave it...

--------------------
I'll probably disappear for a minimum of 10 minutes after this post..
+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 20 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

I decided I'd like to finish the Main Quest on Xbox with Master Baytor, but the random dragon attacks get old. Annoying. I think they occur once every 3 days, but to a gamer like me, who grew up with RPGs in which dragons very rarely show up, like a 1 in 100 chance, seeing them every 3 days is too much.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 20 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I think I would prefer to see them more rarely too if I played Skyrim. That way it´s much more of a big deal when they actually do show up and I think that´s only a good thing. Feels more epic, ya know smile.gif

Go for it, Renee! And finally your poll vote will be true! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Renee
post Apr 20 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Apr 20 2014, 11:43 AM) *

I think I would prefer to see them more rarely too if I played Skyrim. That way it´s much more of a big deal when they actually do show up and I think that´s only a good thing. Feels more epic, ya know smile.gif

Exactly. They should be a special experience.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Apr 20 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #20

Councilor
Group Icon

The reason you get so many Dragons is that they made each shout require three dragon's souls, so you need to kill a lot of them. To compound the problem, they put way to many shouts into the game, some of which are useless, as a cheap spell is more powerful.

My opinion is that the period up defeating Alduin should have enough dragons to be a real menace to the people, but after that it should slow down considerably. The total number of dragons should be limited, too, to be consistent with their story that Alduin was raising them from their graves. Those dragon mounds should tell you exactly how many there are.

My Breton Genevieve and her alter ego Sjulki have done the MQ, and so have Pala the Nord, Fleur the Orc, and Thulia the Imperial. Galen Voth (Dunmer) didn't, but he was created to do the DB and the Civil War, and then retire. Ra'vish (Khajiit) became Archmage and didn't do much else. Silwen the Bosmer archer, did the Thieves Guild. Gol gro-Molag might, but his job is to build a longhouse and settle down with Borghak. If she insists on doing it, he'll most likely go along with her. The Tamriel Topless Team (an altmer Player Character with as many followers as AFT supports) haven't, as there's too much single-person action, and they don't like that.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:17 PM